Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a mini-30 probably 30(?) years ago and it was surprisingly accurate with Russian steel cases hollowpoints or Remington soft points.

I regret selling it but am unlikely to ever replace it. If I was to replace it I’d go with the functional equivalent, a .300BO AR, short and suppressed.

If still like to have a Ruger XGI. I guess now I’d want it in 6.5C.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Should have considered waffle house
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]
All the mini hate cracks me up.  The only thing I hate about the mini is the price.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once you have all the Glocks and 1911's and AR's a mans true character is revealed in the stupid guns he buys.

Mini 14's, trade in 870's, old Smith wheel guns or 3rd gen autos and maybe the odd SKS, M1A or lever gun.

All signs of a man's maturity and understanding that sometimes you just buy a stupid gun because you want it.
View Quote

Now wait just a minute there ! Nothing at all wrong with most of that list . (yeah I am 69 YO)
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't believe in selling guns.  I keep every one, every caliber, etc...  I sold a mini 14 once, because exceptions must be made.  What a POS.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#6]
You regularly admitting to making choices such as these helps me keep you in perspective,  thank you for that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Dennys..good omelets and plenty of single mom waitresses to flirt with
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought the goal was to grow in wisdom as you grow in age? Is this a mid-life crisis or man child syndrome?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I am a stubborn old fart whose one experience with the mini was a early stainless ranch rifle that had the skinny barrel . In that time period Ruger had the reputation of being hit or miss when making barrels , mine was a solid miss.

20-24" pattern at 50 yards off a solid rest with a scope . Lots of grief and messing about in the 20 years I owned it . Got a pretty decent trade in on it and a tremendous trade in on the pile of magazines that I sold at the peak of the ban years. I am thinking I had about $550-$600 into the gun and mags and got $950 trade value against my first AR (20" Hbar Bushmaster) .

You would think that experience would keep me away from mini's but during that time period a buddy bought a plain jane beat up used mini that shot about 3" at 100 with irons and ball ammo.

Every time I see a similar mini I have to stop myself from stepping back over to the dark side
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Long, long ago I had a mini, late 1970s. It was accurate with a cold barrel for the first 2 rounds of a string and then it went to shit. I was hunting coyotes at the time and basically I traded a heavy barrel bolt action Ruger in 22-250 for the Mini. I've regretted that trade for almost 50 years. Dumb assed kid.

Ruger has had 5 decades to make that rifle accurate, doubt that it will ever challenge a well made AR.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I have had two that I traded for, the accuracy on both sucked so I guess I am a slow learner.  The Tapco mags were on point though and never gave me any trouble.  I would like to have another, but not at what they are asking for the current ones.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Minis are awesome

Im thinking about buying a scout rifle latter today.

now I want waffles.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used to see them travelling in the south and thought they were dangerous. I've never been in one. The closet one is in AZ 250+ miles
View Quote

@aimless

You've never been in a Waffle House?  Waffle House is like Denny's but for people who know how to fight.

Have you not heard of the American folk hero, Waffle House Wendy?  You will not find this caliber of employee topping off your coffee at Denny's.  No sir.

Waffle House Wendy’s Bizarre Adventure
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Had a mini 30 & 14 both junk.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Everyone loves Denny's. It's an American institution!
View Quote
They still exist here and there.  An institution (for insomniacs)
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Of course.

The A-Team Signature Edition.

View Quote

lol I had a tactical as well about 6 years ago. It was fine but did nothing my ar carbines didn’t do better. Of course now that I look back it is less tactical looking and probably good for traveling through awkward states.

Also FPNI.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Do you try to get the free birthday meal every damn time?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Every time I'm in a shop and they have a Mini, I have to check it out. My first semi-auto rifle purchase in 1990.  Back when mini's were around $350, and AR's were a grand. Around here, the used ones usually go for $500.  A local shop has a bayo version with original side folder, but at $1200, I've been resisting.  I still keep one mini in the safe, as many others have come and gone.  A stainless with wood stock.  Eventually I'll order the side folder for it.  And they make a great SHTF travel rifle, as they are legal in most states (with 10 round mags).
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#22]
When they first came out (1976), I bought one. When I noticed it did not have the centennial markings on the barrel, I wrote Ruger and they said it had been made in 1975 prior to the centennail marking being put on the barrel.  Since it was cheap and I was young and dumb. I promptly had it drilled and tapped for a weaver quickpoint (precursor to todays red dot for you kids here)

Attachment Attached File

After trying it out in the fall of 1976 Utah deer hunt, I decided that it wasn't a great deer killer and sold it.  Since then I have had several minis but starting in the late 1980's I went to AR's and never looked back. Fun little guns, but not at the current prices.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I love the idea of the rifle and like the looks.  I had one a couple decades ago and did everything I could to like it at the range.  The accuracy just sucked and it couldn't compete with the AR15 so I eventually sold it for something else.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess I’ve always been lucky with Mini 14s.

I think if somebody buys an AR15 and it shoots 4 MOA, they say the rifle must not like that ammo and they keep trying something else until they get good groups. If they buy a Mini 14 that shoots 4 MOA the first time they take it out, they say this thing is a piece of shit and it’s inaccurate.

There are so many things you can do to fix accuracy issues in a Mini 14, from uniformly tightening the gas block screws, to adjusting the metal stock reinforcements on the Wood stock models, or changing to a synthetic stock, or just trying different ammo or switching to tech sites. Those are the kind of things that you would try if your AR was not giving acceptable accuracy because people know ARs are capable of a certain degree of accuracy. When confronted with the same issue, people write off Mini 14s as inaccurate and don’t do the basic things  That they would do with almost any other rifle. At least that’s my experience.

Years ago I had a 181 series Mini 14 that shot 2 to 3 moa with iron sites, and now I have a modern Mini 14 that shoots a little bit better with iron sites.  That’s as good as almost any other AR 15 alternative out there, including any AK variant, the Beretta, ARX 100, the Galil ace, and even the Sig 550 series. It’s probably as good or better than most people are getting from their AR builds, if they were honest.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Platt and Matix changed the entire landscape of law enforcement armament nationwide with a single Mini 14.

Let no man who expounds the virtues of AK pattern rifles cast a critical word on the Mini 14

Certainly there are better semi automatic rifles by every measurable metric

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Pics, OP.

Of targets.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.
View Quote

He’s right, you know…

The mini is one of the few firearms that are so inaccurate that, if you blame the rifle for lousy shooting, it’s actually plausible.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I feel your pain Aimless.

I've had 3 minis in years past and I loved the look and feel of those little rifles but they were so inaccurate that I always gave up and traded them off.

Lately I've been looking at them online and trying to convince myself that Ruger has corrected the accuracy issue and maybe I should give a wood stocked blue mini a try just one more time...
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Everyone loves Denny's. It's an American institution!
View Quote

Especially their “sample size” pancakes-eggs-bacon!
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve often thought Ruger should just throw in the towel on the Mini and completely redesign it.  

Improve the gas system with something more like the M14 has.   Use a better quality stock with more attention paid to the bedding areas and trigger group lock up.   Improve barrel quality and make sure barrel tension is consistent from shot to shot.   Then shit can that scope mounting system and try again.  

But who would buy such a rifle?   When the current Mini goes for nearly 4 figures, ain’t nobody paying $1500 for an improved product.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.
View Quote

He's admitting to having a new gun. He solved his problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Damn, maybe the commies are right. Humans can't be trusted with freedom.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which one did you get?

Does it matter?

You can take the lawyer out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the lawyer.

Damn, maybe the commies are right. Humans can't be trusted with freedom.

I'm confused.

What do Lawyers have to do with Humans?

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The new ones do have thicker barrels. That Lucky Gunner guy had groups at 3" but then would get groups with the same ammo that would have a flyer and be 6"

You would think at $1000 Ruger would invest in better barrels. They make those cheap American bolt guns that shoot really well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel your pain Aimless.

I've had 3 minis in years past and I loved the look and feel of those little rifles but they were so inaccurate that I always gave up and traded them off.

Lately I've been looking at them online and trying to convince myself that Ruger has corrected the accuracy issue and maybe I should give a wood stocked blue mini a try just one more time...
The new ones do have thicker barrels. That Lucky Gunner guy had groups at 3" but then would get groups with the same ammo that would have a flyer and be 6"

You would think at $1000 Ruger would invest in better barrels. They make those cheap American bolt guns that shoot really well.

A stock 10/22 barrel has a heavier profile than the old 196 series Mini-14s. Dead serious, it's visibly noticeable.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_ht2WkIuM0

More positive review with some shooting at Thunder Ranch and discussion with Clint Smith who just said "use Ruger mags." Pat Rogers also said "only use Ruger 20s" on here once years ago.

My 90s mini 30 was junk but was reliable with USA steel mags and Eagle plastic mags.
View Quote

The bottom line is that there is ZERO reason to own one UNLESS you live in an area that will only allow that and nothing better.    I'm sure there is also a video or three out there about carrying the Tokarev for CCW,  is it possible?  of course, is it wise when you could just own a G19?    Nope...

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Got my first couple of real paychecks when I was 14,  went with my dad to buy a Colt carbine and let myself get talked into a used Mini14 by the counter Fudd...  And as the Jews like to say "Never Again!"

I DID snag a Mini a couple of years ago at a local junk fair (how fitting) for pennies on the dollar but it was "pennies on the dollar" and it didn't hang out with me all that long...  If someone is practically giving one away I'm known to make exceptions for "reasons"
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#39]
You could always practice throwing pancakes.

Should be about the same accuracy as the Mini-14.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The bottom line is that there is ZERO reason to own one UNLESS you live in an area that will only allow that and nothing better.    I'm sure there is also a video or three out there about carrying the Tokarev for CCW,  is it possible?  of course, is it wise when you could just own a G19?    Nope...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_ht2WkIuM0

More positive review with some shooting at Thunder Ranch and discussion with Clint Smith who just said "use Ruger mags." Pat Rogers also said "only use Ruger 20s" on here once years ago.

My 90s mini 30 was junk but was reliable with USA steel mags and Eagle plastic mags.

Or if you're traveling to one.  There's also 80's nostalgia, either for the A-Team or just the Mini.  I just can't talk myself into buying a Mini for twice the money it costs me to throw together an AR.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought one of the Walmart closeout Minis for $399 back in '17 or '18.

Shot it a little, and it was fine. I just never really connected with it, it didn't do anything that guns I already owned (like the M1 carbine and the AR) didn't do a little better.

Sold it and haven't looked back. Hope OP likes it better than I did.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I just put a Tech Sight on mine, irons for the win
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#43]
In 1983 when theA-team came out I bought one.Did not know anything about them but looked cool and works great.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I like mine.
Attachment Attached File

having a hard time finding a stainless mag to go with the stainless rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In 1983 when theA-team came out I bought one.Did not know anything about them but looked cool and works great.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/70202/IMG_0010_JPG-3079477.JPG
View Quote
Lol

If it weren't for that TV show, Ruger would have ended production in the mid 80's!
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Congratulations on your new rifle. Now go to Dennie’s and get a lumberjack slam. Best bang for the buck with pancakes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

You've got to have a shit ton of random cheap guns, quantity is a quality of it's own I guess.

Do you have anything premium or is it all just random end of year clearance stuff?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#50]
I’ve had several over the years. All of them functioned fine as long as I used the factory magazines and gave them reasonable care. Accuracy was acceptable on all of them as long as I did my part and I never had any trouble hitting anything inside 100 yards or so which is all I require out of a short, magazine fed light rifle. None of them responded well to mag dumps accuracy wise but other than that I had no problems.

The price for new ones is a little higher than I thought they would be by now but I guess they require a little more care to manufacture than AR’s or some other kind of guns. Casting and machine time ain’t cheap.

I have noticed that most of the flak they get are from people that have never owned one much less shot one though. They just read stuff about them and assume it’s correct without any first hand knowledge or experience with one.

M16’s and AR’s get the same treatment from some people. To this day there are folks still touting how unreliable the AR is because of the initial problems they had when first issued to troops in Vietnam. Once again, no experience, just what they heard or read.

Ruger still makes them and sells all they make.

Somebody must still like them.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top