Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/14/2022 12:30:03 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting away from QDs. They just seem pointless.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
So they didnt work in the real world or in a class or are you looking for new gucchi
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think twice about my QD's, it's not like they cause a problem sitting there, and they're handy when I want to remove the sling to make cleaning or storage easier.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]
After GT’s video a couple weeks ago, you won’t be alone.  Do whatever works.  But don’t get rid of them, just put them in your “parts” box in case you decide to return.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I am sold on quick release single point slings on all my rifles. I will never go back. I like the hands free carry and quick release for cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Love the grovtecs
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After GT’s video a couple weeks ago, you won’t be alone.  Do whatever works.  But don’t get rid of them, just put them in your “parts” box in case you decide to return.
View Quote

?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Love the grovtecs
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#8]
For hunting I use slings. For home defense I do not. I don't want any chance of a sling getting hung up on anything. How they attach is not really important.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:44:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am sold on quick release single point slings on all my rifles. I will never go back. I like the hands free carry and quick release for cleaning.
View Quote

OW MY BALLS!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#10]
All my rifles are set up with QD sockets then I have a few VCAS I move around as needed.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:49:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol you can't setup a two point to be hands free?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

Garand Thumb discussed how QD are noisy — and you don’t want to be noisy while doing recce!
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

?
View Quote

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:54:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Hmmmmm. I used both QD and perm-mount slings in the “real world” for missions.

Use what you like.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Garand Thumb discussed how QD are noisy — and you don’t want to be noisy while doing recce!
View Quote

This is the kind of thing I only see 400lb dudes worry about
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:00:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Garand Thumb discussed how QD are noisy

What.

Well duh, your supposed to grease them.

I just use Black Rifle Balm. You think Dallas will come up with a QD Socket specific grease?

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I prefer direct attachment.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:02:14 AM EDT
[#19]
tag so i can learn how i like my rifle from what youtube influences say.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just use Black Rifle Balm. You think Dallas will come up with a QD Socket specific grease?

View Quote

The dried mud is like graphite lube
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I should just rub some dirt in it instead?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I prefer QD.

Easier to remove for cleaning and flat range use. They aren't noisy and are conveniently placed.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:07:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:07:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For hunting I use slings. For home defense I do not. I don't want any chance of a sling getting hung up on anything. How they attach is not really important.
View Quote

You should watch the Rittenhouse videos
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:09:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me too.  Hang the sling on the rack.  If you need it, stab it on and roll out.

It sucks to clear a house and then have to hold your rifle for beers with the home owner, because you didn't have a sling you could slap on in a second.  Same for weapon lights.    I wish a beer coozie would fit in the grip pocket.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:09:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hmmmmm. I used both QD and perm-mount slings in the "real world" for missions.

Use what you like.
View Quote
Yes, "missions."
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:11:57 AM EDT
[#27]
the only QD on a sling that is acceptable is HK style snap hooks
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Me too.  Hang the sling on the rack.  If you need it, stab it on and roll out.

It sucks to clear a house and then have to hold your rifle for beers with the home owner, because you didn't have a sling you could slap on in a second.  Same for weapon lights.    I wish a beer coozie would fit in the grip pocket.
View Quote
Beer coozie in the grip pocket?!? You're a goddamn genius, Gump!
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:13:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This is the kind of thing I only see 400lb dudes worry about
View Quote

Except you still hear labored breathing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#30]
No sling on my direct go to HD rifle. I do not imagine a point where I would need a sling. It does have a QD that I can put on it that I have trained with. I just choose to keep it off. If I needed to do patrolling I could put it on as that’s the only time I would really want it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
the only QD on a sling that is acceptable is HK style snap hooks
View Quote
How come you're not a fan of recessed push button QDs?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I’ll also add……for all the slings I’ve used (and let me tell you young whipper-snappers something, I’ve used a LOT!) from the USGI standard, to the advent of the Chalker sling (that fucker was a bitch to weave into your vest/web gear), to the “three point” new hotness from the company I can’t remember  , to the single point “wilderness”, to the single point bungee, to all the fucking slings I’ve used …..

Nothing is as good as the Magpul MS4 sling.  The only thing close was the old Korea war era USGI sling that I learned to modify in a Sniper school in the 90’s.  Magpul took it to another level with the ability to make that sling go from “single point” to “two point” to “quick cuff” for standing/kneeling unsupported”…hands down best sling ever.  

Oh yeah,….it has QD.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:16:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How come you're not a fan of recessed push button QDs?
View Quote

dirty and mud can get in both ends of those... and can be bumped and released...

snap hooks not so much
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:16:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d prefer to retain my carbine in close quarters. Wrestling over a rifle in my house middle of the night wouldn’t be my idea of fun. Slings help with that and WTF are you snagging it on anyway?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:16:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reassess your training/knowledge.  

Get a sling.  Two-point is probably best for HD.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:20:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No sling on my direct go to HD rifle. I do not imagine a point where I would need a sling. It does have a QD that I can put on it that I have trained with. I just choose to keep it off. If I needed to do patrolling I could put it on as that’s the only time I would really want it.
View Quote

For an HD rifle, I can understand.   Where you want a sling is if you have to do a lot of other crap that requires one or both hands free, or where dropping the rifle means you have pretty much zero chance of recovering it or you reasonably expect it to be destroyed by the drop.

Personally I wouldn't want a sling for patrolling if I can avoid it, but if you're with other people, trying to carry someone or carry their shit in an emergency can be a complete pain in the ass without slings.

QD's can (rarely) go bad and no amount of oil will keep them from squeaking up a storm.  Clip types are much more mechanically reliable but harder to silence.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:43:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I prefer HK Hooks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:53:31 AM EDT
[#38]
I train a lot with standard direct-attachment slings because I figure that training with basic rigs is more beneficial than training with some specific hi-speed rig. If I can do transitions on a hard point sling, it’s only going to be easier with more options using QD or clips or single points, and I have all of those setups available.

I practice with all of them but I do try to train down to the lowest denominator on my gear so that I can run efficiently even with my least efficient gear.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#39]
It's just a sling.

It doesn't really matter how it's attached as long as it holds your rifle and doesn't cause a problem.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:54:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Might want to rethink that home defense idea.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:57:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's just a sling.

It doesn't really matter how it's attached as long as it holds your rifle and doesn't cause a problem.
View Quote

That’s how I see it. If it works, it works.

You should definitely use it and make sure you like the setup though. Sticking a sling on a rifle and putting it back in the safe is a bad move.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:58:22 AM EDT
[#42]
2 Point Vickers Sling with QD makes me moist.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:02:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You should definitely use it and make sure you like the setup though. Sticking a sling on a rifle and putting it back in the safe is a bad move.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's just a sling.

your poverty ponies are gonna fall apart anyway..
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:05:48 AM EDT
[#44]
man, i got QD mount, HK clip two point to single point, some direct attachment, i got all the attachments.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:05:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's just a sling.

That’s really hurtful, man. I have some PSA lowers too!
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:26:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I’ve tried all the shit, now I just do normal two point direct attachment.

I guess I’m not HSLD enough…
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:34:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I’ve hunted with my rifle more than I’ve cleared houses with known threats in them.  I’m more than likely going to hunt 1,000 more times before I go into a hot zone.  Humping all over the woods with a rifle and a pack is much easier with a sling.  

If bad guys wanna play night time fun time in my house I won’t be hindered by a sling at all.

This is kind of a silly question.    Maybe ask what slings we’re using or where/ how we’re mounting them  vs sling/ no sling.    All fighting rifles get slings and all pistols get holsters.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:37:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:41:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Two point sling with QDs on the buttstock and at the back end of the handguard.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:57:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Depends on the purpose of the "go to" rifle.  You just have one? hmmm...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top