Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think this is about aftermarket parts, it's about selling modified guns.

So take a M&P, turn it into a race gun and sell it as a S&W M&P, which it no longer really is.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a huge mistake for S&W.

The best way to "win" most anything is to make your idea the most ubiquitous thing around ... That means not suing people customizing your excellent guns, S&W.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The best way to "win" most anything is to make your idea the most ubiquitous thing around ... That means not suing people customizing your excellent guns, S&W.
View Quote

Works out well for lots of people!
http://www.uspto.gov/kids/graveyard.html

Edit: That's a VERY short list. See Thermos, Trampoline, many others.
As pointed out, one must defend their trademark. Such a strategy (making something ubiquitous or...generic and allowing others to freely use the trademark) is a recipe for losing the protections afforded.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
You'd think after the black eye they got by being used in the San Bernardino terrorist attack they'd want to keep a low profile.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Another reason to buy a Glock
View Quote

Bingo Mr. Powers, fuck them right in the pussy

And this folks is why G19 is the answer
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well time to sell the M&P and get a CZ carry gun. Fuck S&W right in the butthole for being bitches.
View Quote

Sure as hell don't need to mess with the P-07 trigger, she is buttery smooth.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You'd think after the black eye they got by being used in the San Bernardino terrorist attack they'd want to keep a low profile.
View Quote

S&W makes terrorist guns?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

GM pretty much told us changing our own oil will void the warranty

Friend of mine was denied warranty on his new Silverado's differentials because he put in a cold air intake.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is next? Ford sending tire shops letters to stop putting wheels and tires on F250's?

lol

Good luck with that.

GM pretty much told us changing our own oil will void the warranty

Friend of mine was denied warranty on his new Silverado's differentials because he put in a cold air intake.

That's specifically illegal. Ref: Magunson-Moss Act.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I strongly suspect this is a case of Mr. Overzealous Newbie Legal Aide.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As pointed out, one must defend their trademark. Such a strategy (making something ubiquitous and allowing others to freely use the trademark) is a recipe for losing the protections afforded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As pointed out, one must defend their trademark. Such a strategy (making something ubiquitous and allowing others to freely use the trademark) is a recipe for losing the protections afforded.

I understand the concept of defending your trademark more than you might realize... That said, my comment stands.

You don't get to be Thermos or Kleenex or Xerox without your idea becoming ubiquitous. Suing the pants off of the little guys is not generally considered a recipe for ubiquity.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Their social media is on fire right now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I predict this will not quite workout as well as S&W intends.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#16]
So, now that the rest of the story is out, Smith and Wesson is upset that other companies are selling a custom/modified M&P and calling it an M&P?

I wonder what S&W's thoughts on Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The plot thickens..... S&W "M&P Dream Gun" offered with altered parts and still exhibiting the S&W and M&P trade marks...

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1934597_10204099808133979_4312216293917758907_n.jpg?oh=d6fb300a561bdee6dc4e2dfec65490de&oe=570D8406

They are selling a new pistol that they alter as a smith....... This actually probably is a direct violation of US trademark/patent law and Smith isn't really saying much about personally owned weapons modified after it seems. Or maybe this is only part of their grievance.

https://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/apex-news/apex-teams-with-top-custom-builders-on-brownells-dream-gun/

Now it makes more sense.

Yup. the other shoe drops.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I understand the concept of defending your trademark more than you might realize... That said, my comment stands.

You don't get to be Thermos or Kleenex or Xerox without your idea becoming ubiquitous. Suing the pants off of the little guys is not generally considered a recipe for ubiquity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough, just a criticism of their business strategy then. I was getting a little antsy with lots of crazy stuff being said in the thread
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Am I in trouble for putting new hand guards on my M&P 15?  What if I use non-OEM mags?

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

If APEX triggers weren't around, how many folks here would own a S&W?  I understand the merit of their claim, but talk about kicking their golden goose in the side.

I would have handled it with a phone call and a cross branding exercise....but hey their company their rules
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I don't think this is about aftermarket parts, it's about selling modified guns.

So take a M&P, turn it into a race gun and sell it as a S&W M&P, which it no longer really is.
View Quote

That's like saying that a heavily customized Ford Mustang is no longer a Ford Mustang. There is lots of precedence for customizing guns, cars, planes, etc. to make this a loser for S&W. Just public opinion will make it a loser.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well fuck them then

Guess I wont be buying an M&P then because from what I hear it is a must to upgrade the trigger
View Quote

Did I read that wrong?  Sounds like they want them to stop selling complete, modified pistols...not just the parts to modify them.  

I think you can still get a trigger kit and install it yourself, or have a gunsmith do it for you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If APEX triggers weren't around, how many folks here would own a S&W?  I understand the merit of their claim, but talk about kicking their golden goose in the side.

I would have handled it with a phone call and a cross branding exercise....but hey their company their rules
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Smith and Wesson weren't fundamentally retarded, they would've dumped that shitty ILS lock on their revolvers long ago...
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah I think this means about zero.  They'll have to change the name before SHOT 2016 & that's about it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#27]
M&Ps suck ass anyways. So this is just even funnier.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like the "glock vs. m&p" debate has been answered.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Problem is S&W doesn't make excellent guns anymore.

M&P is shit

Their revolvers are now shit

Even their Performance Center is shit

S&W stopped making good guns when they did lawyer locks, two piece barrels, and frame mounted firing pins along with ceasing production of the 3rd Gen Autos.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And the Glock has been on the market....what...several decades longer than the M&P?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another reason to buy a Glock

There are more aftermarket "improvement" parts for a Glock than M&P

And the Glock has been on the market....what...several decades longer than the M&P?

And has Glock ever pulled some stupid shit like this on aftermarket companies? I don't think Glocks are "better" than M&P, in just prefer them more, but S&W being all up in arms about this is fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm beginning to hate guns. It is always someting under attack. Fucking lame.
View Quote

I definitely don't hate guns, but this hobby is a mother fucker.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I did.  They're selling a heavily-modified S&W... but is it not still a Smith and Wesson gun they built their "dream gun" off of?  

I think this is an overreaction on S&W's part.  

How is this different from buying/promoting a Saleen Mustang, or Rousch Raptor?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That will not go as planned for S&W

Nope.

Stupid.

Keep reading.  

I did.  They're selling a heavily-modified S&W... but is it not still a Smith and Wesson gun they built their "dream gun" off of?  

Basically someone beat S&W to the market.   I'm sure absent these (already better, cheaper) options, S&W would be touting their special "Performance Center" versions of these guns.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't understand how they could have any grounds for this. Custom car companies and parts manufacturers do it all the time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#36]
And Glock sits in the shadows in the back:

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That will not go as planned for S&W

Nope.

Stupid.

Keep reading.  

Saleen and Rousch are both licensed through Ford.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The new productions ones arent bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well fuck them then

Guess I wont be buying an M&P then because from what I hear it is a must to upgrade the trigger

The new productions ones arent bad.

Umm, not necessarily.

I've got 6-7 M&Ps around here.  My newest M&P9 (bought new earlier this yr) has the shittiest trigger of all.  Seriously don't know if my trigger gauge goes high enough to read the pull weight.  Thought the sear mod would fix it but not so far.....

The triggers on all of my earlier M&Ps are actually pretty good and have required no work or upgrades.  I guess fuck S&W in light of their pissy stance on this Apex thing too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I sense that the SW Custom Shop is ready to roll out their own designs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I am HOPING S&W is just after a licensing deal here.

There's a concept in Trademark law call "first sale" doctrine which basically is that the mark owner really only has control over the first sale of the product as long as it hasn't been significantly altered.  

For example, you couldn't weld a S&W slide onto a bulldozer and call it a S&W bulldozer.  

In this case, its still fundamentally an M&P pistol with some bullshit cosmetics done to it.  The defendants may be able to argue that S&W's rights ended at the first sale.  Here's a good law review articleto help explain what I'm getting at.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to wait until this proves to be real until I break out the torch and pitchfork.  A move like this from S&W makes zero sense... and they have been making pretty good decisions the last few years.
View Quote

I would have to respectfully disagree with you there. S&W started going downhill after their 3rd gen pistols, I owned 4 of them and still own 1. I bought a shield this spring (after a long debate over the shield or getting a G26 or the 43) that was total crap and took 2 trips back for them to fix it. Once I was satisfied that I could sell it in good faith I dumped it and went back to another Glock. Their customer service is crap and they don't give a shit. They're riding on their name and putting out a shit product. Their M&P's need a $100 upgrade to get a decent trigger? No thanks.... Google shield FTE and see all the issues with them or just look in the S&W forum.

Here is my story of my cluster with them...

S&W of today is nothing like the company or products they used to be. I don't ever see myself buying another S&W again
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#44]
For those that know more than me about trademark laws, would it make a difference if this company didn't use the word "upgrades" and instead used words like changes or modifications?  How about if they made it clear that S&W was not a partner in the project, along with the usual legalise disclaimer, "The S&W and M&P name and logos are trademarks of..."?

I wonder why S&W never had the Youtube video pulled when Chris Costa was promoting all of his M&P modifications.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I have never seen this many trigger snobs before in my life.

Just deal with it.

Can't be worse than my hk usp 9 trigger.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#46]
http://www.recoilweb.com/sw-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-custom-gunsmiths-80507.html

Here you go guys! Enjoy!

Like I said, they were intentionally holding key pieces of information in an attempt to sway popular opinion against Smith. That is the liberal thing to do. Good job SSVI.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

M&P is shit

S&W stopped making good guns when they did lawyer locks, two piece barrels, and frame mounted firing pins along with ceasing production of the 3rd Gen Autos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M&P is shit

I've got some M&Ps that would beg to differ.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Fair enough, just a criticism of their business strategy then. I was getting a little antsy with lots of crazy stuff being said in the thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally! Yes, that's all my comment was intended to be.

You don't get to be the ubiquitous option that everyone thinks of first by suing anyone who is essentially helping you sell more product.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Smith and Wesson. Because you suck, and we hate you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Car companies are next, they have filed for government paperwork to allow this as well.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top