Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Baja California will see 145.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in Yuma, nothing but light rain so far. The hotel lobby had CNN on this morning and they literally said California was going to see 145mph winds.

My family in Nayarit was getting hit with the weather and I'm sure my family in Baja will, too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They should be fine.  The latest track shows it hitting in Mexico and grinding north.  Only thing I would worry about is drainage.  Is this a "water" hurricane or a "wind" hurricane?
View Quote

Last I saw it was a 45 mph tropical depression.  That’s not that bad.  If it’s 60 and above, it can do some damage.  We get two or three depressions a year come through.  Hermine and Michael did significant damage, but we’ve had afternoon thunderstorms almost as bad.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There's a Hillary with two Ls but she has no sense of humor at all.

Miami_JBT will get the reference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There's a Hillary with two Ls but she has no sense of humor at all.

Miami_JBT will get the reference.
Attachment Attached File

2008 and 2016!
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

So I saw this little encampment at work today, didn't think anyone really lived there. Along came two women, one walked over and climbed in, the other walked away.

How is this ramshackle POS display going to do if/when the typhoon arrives?

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/572713/20230819_161336_jpg-2925340.JPG

So I saw this little encampment at work today, didn't think anyone really lived there. Along came two women, one walked over and climbed in, the other walked away.

How is this ramshackle POS display going to do if/when the typhoon arrives?

View Quote

That's not your problem, nor mine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Homeless might want to leave now
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

[Click to see hilarious animated gif]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Having gone through Allison, Ike, Harvey, and Imelda I wish Californians the best. Two weeks with no power and fuck you humidity sucks. Take care out there gentlemen and I hope y'all stocked up on beer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F32hyVYW8AAc5u2?format=jpg&name=large

Are they flying all the way from Keesler?

Santa Maria

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae0116

Pretty sure that's from Vandenberg AFB in Lompoc.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah a years worth of rain in 1 day in mountainous areas with vegetation stripped by drought and wildfires will be a ton of suck no matter what the winds are.  Hopefully people make good decisions on where is a safe spot to avoid mudslides and flooding.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My family in Nayarit was getting hit with the weather and I'm sure my family in Baja will, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in Yuma, nothing but light rain so far. The hotel lobby had CNN on this morning and they literally said California was going to see 145mph winds.

@bigstick61 where in Nayarit is your family? My wife's family is in Tepic.

We are looking for homes on the coast in Nayarit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

Santa Maria

well, you would be wrong.

https://www.afrc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/3497974/hurricane-hunters-depart-to-fly-hilary-reconnaissance/

KEESLER AIR FORCE BASE, Miss. --  

The Air Force Reserve “Hurricane Hunters,” assigned to the 403rd Wing at Keesler Air Force Base, Mississippi, departed today to fly weather reconnaissance missions into Hurricane Hilary to collect weather data that improves National Hurricane Center forecasts.

The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, or “Hurricane Hunters,” are scheduled to fly their first mission into the storm today.

Crews along with maintenance personnel are operating out of Santa Maria Public Airport, Santa Maria, California.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We still probably won’t get a single drop in the Central Valley
View Quote

Hey, we here in Texas are hoping we get the 5/100th of an inch of rain forecasted for Tuesday this week.   It is more than we have gotten in the past several months
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hey, we here in Texas are hoping we get the 5/100th of an inch of rain forecasted for Tuesday this week.   It is more than we have gotten in the past several months
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We still probably won't get a single drop in the Central Valley

I've been getting rain EVERYDAY for three months straight. It is the wet season in FL.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Having gone through Allison, Ike, Harvey, and Imelda I wish Californians the best. Two weeks with no power and fuck you humidity sucks. Take care out there gentlemen and I hope y'all stocked up on beer.
View Quote

@twistedcomrade

You damn right I am.   Genny and all the power banks on hot standby.  Chainsaw fueled and oiled for tree clearing if needed.  Radios all charged and tested comms among my circle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Downgraded to category 2 and still 640 miles south of San Diego.

No cum shot for those ratards wishing a cat 4 or 5 hits California.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

SHIT, we are more likely to get hit with a 7.0 quake before Cat 4/5 storm...
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The rain alone will unfortunately do enough damage. Those canyons funnel water quickly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah its unfortunate that wishing for dead Americans has gained so much popularity around here.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@twistedcomrade

You damn right I am.   Genny and all the power banks on hot standby.  Chainsaw fueled and oiled for tree clearing if needed.  Radios all charged and tested comms among my circle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/465930/20230819_173752_jpg-2925443.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/465930/20230819_112531_jpg-2925444.JPG
View Quote

That is not enough beer.

I have one of those same generators.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is not enough beer.

I have one of those same generators.
View Quote

I am running low....   Haven't had a bootlegger trip to get more
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

TPS incoming for Mexico....
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've been getting rain EVERYDAY for three months straight. It is the wet season in FL.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122381/1000008322_jpg-2925436.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We still probably won't get a single drop in the Central Valley

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122381/1000008322_jpg-2925436.JPG

Who gives a shit! Thought this thread was about the desert southwest  
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wouldn't even stand there. That water could be cutting the ground out from underneath you.

This kind of rain in the desert is nuts. Even if you're on the high ground, the route you took to get there might be gone.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have lived through multiple Hurricanes, tropical storms and flooding. As much as I think California is Fucked up, I don't wish that shit on anyone. Good luck and God's speed. Y'all be safe and I hope this is being blown out of proportion.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would unass that location asap. That water is rising and not receding. Impressive velocity too.

This is gonna wreak some real havoc all through the impacted areas. Good luck to you all in the affected areas.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I would unass that location asap. That water is rising and not receding. Impressive velocity too.

This is gonna wreak some real havoc all through the impacted areas. Good luck to you all in the affected areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The canyons and arroyos will get the velocity up.

I remember as a kid playing in the river bed. Would ride bikes, chase rabbits and birds in the brush, just hang out with friends. It was anywhere from 100 yards to 200 yards across and the river was always tiny during the summer.

One El Niño year, the rain filled it all the way up and took out the bridge for cars. It made us all realize Mother Nature is to be respected.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking at the NHC charts, we are in a maybe 20-30% chance of Tropical Storm force winds and maybe 4" of rain.  So not too concerned but the mountains will be getting a lot more and fire scarred areas will have real problems.  We'll be riding it out.  

Is the President skipping Hawaii to be ready to swoop into SoCal instead?
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
President Joe Biden has pushed back his visit to Maui amidst disastrous fires for another vacation in Nevada.  

Biden arrived with First Lady Jill Biden on Airforce One and can be seen going down the stairs of the landed aircraft.  

Since telling reporters, "No comment," when initially asked about the fires and death toll coming from the state in the Pacific, he has gotten swift criticism for not addressing the situation.
View Quote

The fag is a pompous, stuck up, snot nosed, giant, twerp, scumbag, fuck-face, dickhead, asshole.

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.afrc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/3497974/hurricane-hunters-depart-to-fly-hilary-reconnaissance/

The Air Force Reserve “Hurricane Hunters,” assigned to the 403rd Wing at Keesler Air Force Base, Mississippi, departed today to fly weather reconnaissance missions into Hurricane Hilary to collect weather data that improves National Hurricane Center forecasts.

The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, or “Hurricane Hunters,” are scheduled to fly their first mission into the storm today.

Crews along with maintenance personnel are operating out of Santa Maria Public Airport, Santa Maria, California.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

Santa Maria

Wow, thanks. That's interesting. I really wonder why they wouldn't go to Vandeberg. Seems weird. Although, we always had a firebomber squadrons in Santa Maria & Santa Barbara.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What if California is the only thing keeping the rest of the continent from falling into the ocean starving?

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Acaponeta and Tepic, mostly, but not exclusively.  Due to the way Mexico's public higher education system works I also have a lot of family from that side scattered across all of Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#34]
So far not bad. No wind and only about ½" rain in the last 12hrs.
We'll see what tonight brings.

This is in far southwest AZ.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wow, thanks. That's interesting. I really wonder why they wouldn't go to Vandeberg. Seems weird. Although, we always had a firebomber squadrons in Santa Maria & Santa Barbara.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

Santa Maria

Vandenberg isn’t really equipped for airplanes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#37]
All quiet here in San Diego. We haven’t even had any rain yet. Light breeze.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

Santa Maria

Why? Been to plenty of airshow there. We used to call their medivac on occasion down to South County for things. Have they tore up the air strip?

ETA: my knowledge is dated on Vandenberg to the 1980's & 1990's.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Acaponeta and Tepic, mostly, but not exclusively.  Due to the way Mexico's public higher education system works I also have a lot of family from that side scattered across all of Mexico.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice. Nayarit is beautiful. It's actually getting expensive. Lol. For Mexico that is.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah its unfortunate that wishing for dead Americans has gained so much popularity around here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have people here who have never felt grass or a woman's touch, except for their mother's when she delivers them hotpockets in her basement.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish it landed in LA as a category 87.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@twistedcomrade

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/465930/20230819_173752_jpg-2925443.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/465930/20230819_112531_jpg-2925444.JPG
View Quote
Good on you sir and all of our members out there. I hope this amounts to a good and needed desert watering.

@Drumbic
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I saw bigger predictions for some areas.  Part of the problem is out here it takes very little time for the ground to be fully saturated and then you start getting floods.  The low desert areas may get more than their annual rainfall totals in a day and the soils there can't handle that sort of deluge.  Our rivers and creeks where I live will absolutely be flooding and overflowing and the cops and rangers were already evacuating people from those areas, as people camp out, pan for gold, etc.  

It's nothing to freak out about overall, but in some areas it'll be a pretty big deal.

This makes me think about people here who freak out about an earthquake in their area where they are rare when the same thing here would have just made us shrug and go about our day.  But a rare earthquake in an area not built to handle it can prove significant.  Generally, areas have come to adapt to their weather and other local conditions, but when applied elsewhere those same things can become problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is a tropical storm. Not much wind (40 mph) and NHC is predicting maybe 6" of rain, max in some very small parts. In FL, we don't even buy beer for that.

I saw bigger predictions for some areas.  Part of the problem is out here it takes very little time for the ground to be fully saturated and then you start getting floods.  The low desert areas may get more than their annual rainfall totals in a day and the soils there can't handle that sort of deluge.  Our rivers and creeks where I live will absolutely be flooding and overflowing and the cops and rangers were already evacuating people from those areas, as people camp out, pan for gold, etc.  

It's nothing to freak out about overall, but in some areas it'll be a pretty big deal.

This makes me think about people here who freak out about an earthquake in their area where they are rare when the same thing here would have just made us shrug and go about our day.  But a rare earthquake in an area not built to handle it can prove significant.  Generally, areas have come to adapt to their weather and other local conditions, but when applied elsewhere those same things can become problems.

This 100%. I kind of laugh when people in other areas say it's no big deal because they get worse in their area. That type of argument can be made about any weather event. Florida wouldn't be able to handle sustained snowstorms in negative temperatures. That doesn't mean them getting snow when they aren't used it to isn't a big deal.

Fact is, California cannot handle that much water in such a short period of time. Flash flooding already happens even at much smaller levels of rain.

Not to mention California already struggles with power generation. I'm not sure how those windmills are going to hold up with the storm.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Jerome’s says come on down. By the way Jerome’s doesn’t haul away your old shit anymore. What a joke. They kinda suck.

I’m gonna be so pissed if we don’t get a good storm out of this. Summer weather is so fucking boring here. After all these years I still miss Spokane weather.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was planning on buying a sofa tomorrow.  Do I need to change my plans ?

Jerome’s says come on down. By the way Jerome’s doesn’t haul away your old shit anymore. What a joke. They kinda suck.

I’m gonna be so pissed if we don’t get a good storm out of this. Summer weather is so fucking boring here. After all these years I still miss Spokane weather.

Spokane is socked in with smoke from the fires... pretty much the whole east side of the state is socked in...

I'll take Riverside/San Bernardino weather....

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Is there any chance it can take out San Francisco too?
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Still dry up here in Socal. No wind or anything. YET.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why? Been to plenty of airshow there. We used to call their medivac on occasion down to South County for things. Have they tore up the air strip?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

Santa Maria

I’ve been to air shows there too then. The air strip is there. They don’t have the equipment to deal with aircraft on a regular basis since no planes are actively stationed there.  It’s Space Force.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've been to air shows there too then. The air strip is there. They don't have the equipment to deal with aircraft on a regular basis since no planes are actively stationed there.  It's Space Force.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

Santa Maria

The Air Force Reserve "Hurricane Hunters," assigned to the 403rd Wing at Keesler Air Force Base, Mississippi, departed today to fly weather reconnaissance missions into Hurricane Hilary to collect weather data that improves National Hurricane Center forecasts.

The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, or "Hurricane Hunters," are scheduled to fly their first mission into the storm today.

Vandenberg isn't really equipped for airplanes.

I've been to air shows there too then. The air strip is there. They don't have the equipment to deal with aircraft on a regular basis since no planes are actively stationed there.  It's Space Force.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:57:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Good on you sir and all of our members out there. I hope this amounts to a good and needed desert watering.

@Drumbic
View Quote

@twistedcomrade

Thanks.   Most of my stuff stays ready. As I am paranoid (not the best word I guess to use but works) about WHEN we will get smacked by a good quake.  A populated area hasn't been really tested since the '92 Landers / Big Bear and '94 Northridge quakes back in the 90s.  Those two quakes alone STUCK with me through my childhood when they struck.  Since those days, I refuse to be caught with my ass out over basic needs to survive if services are disrupted.

So for this storm that's coming in, my day of getting ready was really stress free. 0600 I was at the grocery store for the weekly stuff for the kids lunch and such. Had usual Saturday breakfast with dad.  Came home and battened down the yard furniture etc etc.

It is NICE to have to be the people spending a couple hours in lines at stores for "supplies".  Social Media was on fire today with how bad the stores were.. and all I can picture is adding a TRUE catastrophe event to the mix, it's not a good outcome as people relay WAY to much on stuff just being there and available.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Still dry up here in Socal. No wind or anything. YET.
View Quote
Same here in TJ.  Nothing yet.  I made the mistake of making a run to Costco in Chula Vista this morning.  What a shitshow!
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top