Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't believe that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something needs to change. My wife works 70 hours a week for 10.5 months for less than she would make at a Buc'ees stocking Beaver Nuggets.

I don't believe that.

I do.
I know several teacher assistants that work Monday-Friday 7am-4pm for $11/hour, then 4-630 for after school care......that's 50 odd hours a week at $11.00 an hour. A janitor at Buc-ees averages $17/hr

A classroom teacher is lucky to have 50 minutes a day to prepare lessons, grade assignments, etc. This means taking work home.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Did you ever think teachers should be paid for a full year if they have to work for a full year? Just about all your teachers would leave if you mandated a full year but did not compensate for it…
View Quote

My wife worked for the local school district.  Though not a teacher she could have elected to be paid all year round.  She didn't so they just paid her more for the 9 months she did work.    I believe teachers have that option as well.  All the teachers I know have their own retirements plus the state one.  No different than me in the military.  I have my own retirement fund, plus the military's.   No one is getting rich on being a teacher but yeah they got a sweet gig.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Buc'ees pays well, and even has a better insurance package than the HMO Blue Cross the district offers. She got a dual degree to specifically work with severe and profound special needs kids. Being a teacher has never paid well, and she never went in expecting to make more than a small fraction of what I do, but she started at 38k in 2006 and makes 52k now. She's lost against inflation every year.
View Quote

One of my districts HR directors is an ARFcommer. Move to Plano and with a BA she'll start at $62k.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because of that, you get crappy teachers in the schools.  Eliminating tenure and starting merit-based pay will go a long way to solving that probem.
View Quote

Tenure? Whats that?

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Districts are typically top heavy with a bunch of highly paid "administrators."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The solution may be as simple as it is politically unpopular.

First, end teacher pensions. Most taxpayers don't have pensions in the 21st century, so it makes sense to end pensions for public servants who work for the taxpayers. Use that money for direct teacher pay instead, and allow the teachers to save for their own retirement, much the same as the taxpayers paying teachers' salaries.

Second, go to year-round school. Then society can justify paying teachers for 12 months of work. If two to four weeks of vacation is enough for taxpayers, it's enough for public servants who work for the taxpayers.

There are other steps that can be taken, but these two are simple common sense. Unfortunately, that makes them difficult to implement when unions and government bureaucrats are involved.

Districts are typically top heavy with a bunch of highly paid "administrators."

Don't forget the highly paid coaches  expensive satdiums and performing arts centers etc .   So much waste in the system a dyslexic drunk could cut the budget and they'd still have plenty of money to educate kids.  

Next up higher education......
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Exactly

Fuck public teachers

Abolsh public ed
View Quote

Right back at you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Unions and the Dept of Education.

Get rid of them and we can easily solve the pay issues.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
two to four weeks of vacation
View Quote

2-4 weeks of vacation

what is it like a part time hobby?

they would have a mental break down if they tried starting their own business

how about this ....

abolish the department of education

let the market decide what they get paid

we don't need commie indoctrinators sponsored by tax monies any more than a potato in the white house
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
There is no teacher pay problem. If you’re paying enough for them to show up, you’re paying enough. This is basic economics.

Also, privatize everything.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Outcome based pay.
View Quote

You would have to be able to “fire” low performing students.

I’m good with that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looking at how Johnny can't read, spell or solve a basic math problem, they are overpaid.
View Quote

A lot of that is Johnny himself not wanting to learn.  You can't make someone learn something if they are not inclined to learn it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A. There are no unions in Texas

B. Salaries are determined at the district level and the "pension" system (TRS) is a teacher funded state mandated investment management organization similar to a 401k.

C. When my wife was in the classroom, she was off for 3 1/2 weeks in the summer for "vacation" between in-service and other mandated training.

My wife left teaching at the end of this school year because the pay is shit, the retirement "pension" is shit, the kids and their parents are shit, admin is shit, state mandated testing is shit, etc. She took a pay cut when she changed careers and became a teacher for idealistic reasons, and after 10 years has finally said fuck it and left.    

View Quote

My wife did the same, but she only lasted 6 years.  She’s still be flogging at it because of the kids (the ones who aren’t shitheads) but she was diagnosed with cancer so I could finally convince her to quit.

The school system is going to crash and burn and I have zero fucks to give.

The parents whose kids will ge okay? The ones who gave the money to pay for private school.

The other kids? They’ll be mopping the floors for kids from China and India.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Both of my grandmothers were teachers
So I was raised in a pro education environment

But due to the support of BLM/west coast rioters by
teachers Unions during the pandemic

I really don’t care if they starve to death
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree on point one. Test scores have plummeted in this country since it was instituted.

On point two I'd say that's exactly what's happening. Teaching degrees are easy to obtain so there are lots of shitty teachers willing to take rock bottom pay. Supply and demand is a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Make income / raises proportionate to grades / independent test scores.

I have no problem paying really good teachers. I have no problem giving day labor wages to really bad teachers.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Key & Peele - TeachingCenter

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How about Texas just stops building $50 million football stadiums at every high school. That should clear up the budget.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
How about Texas just stops building $50 million football stadiums at every high school. That should clear up the budget.

Never gonna happen.

Who cares if they get a pension. They should pay more and higher better teachers. Taxes in Texas are plenty high they ended up with a $30 billion surplus last year. It’s not like Texas is using that money to fix infrastructure.

I just want my property tax $$$ to stay in my local school district. Since 1994, Plano ISD has sent $2.4 billion back to the state under the "Robin Hood" school finance plan.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I agree on point one. Test scores have plummeted in this country since it was instituted.

On point two I'd say that's exactly what's happening. Teaching degrees are easy to obtain so there are lots of shitty teachers willing to take rock bottom pay. Supply and demand is a bitch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that's not what's happening on the second.

The parents of the students do not control the pay. They're barely allowed to control where their kids go.

The people that give hand out the money taken by coercion are the market. They control where it goes and how much and when.

If teachers aren't getting the pay they want, that's because the people that dole out the tax funds *don't want to give it to them.*
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you remember in 2020 when people said teachers don't enough money?

Pepperidge Farms remembers...

A favorite scene of mine from Parks and Rec is when the government closes and towns person says you want me to keep my kids at my house, where I live?

Yea...
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do you remember in 2020 when people said teachers don't enough money?

Pepperidge Farms remembers...

A favorite scene of mine from Parks and Rec is when the government closes and towns person says you want me to keep my kids at my house, where I live?

Yea...
View Quote

I've been hearing "teachers don't get paid enough" since the 1980s.

It is not new.

How much is paid out to school systems has always gone up. Virtually never down, that I have heard of.

You can also read history and see how people without good facilities and without well paid teachers became nobel scholars and came out as highly educated people.

The problem isn't pay.  It's only one (Imo) small cog in the machine lableled "problem."
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
70 hr/wk * 4.3 wk/mo * 10.5 mo/yr = 3,160 hours/year

$52k/yr --> $16/hr

What's missing from the hourly wage evaluation is the toll taken by working 70 hours/wk.  Add in the kids' issues; add in the parents' issues,... it adds up.  

Teachers, real teachers, are under-valued and under-appreciated in our society.  

Because of that, you get crappy teachers in the schools.  Eliminating tenure and starting merit-based pay will go a long way to solving that probem.
View Quote

This right here.  My wife has been doing this for 35 years and I don’t know how.  Says she loves the kids.  She is just shy of her doctorate and makes about $17 per hour for the time she puts in.  Most people have zero clue.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Something needs to change. My wife works 70 hours a week for 10.5 months for less than she would make at a Buc'ees stocking Beaver Nuggets.
View Quote

We’ll. Is Buc’ees hiring?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#23]
The sacred cow that needs slaughtered. Public Education.

I say give the money to the parents per kid and privatize it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#24]
public school teachers are nothing but statist commie indoctrinators
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Seriously, my BIL and sister make 135,000 a year each teaching 5th and kindergarten.
Thats the equivalent of $86.00 an hour for the 40 hour a week worker.
This doesn't include the value of the bennies.

they work 9 months of the year, have health care and retirement.
What is this teacher pay issue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The "teacher pay problem" is teacher union propaganda.

Seriously, my BIL and sister make 135,000 a year each teaching 5th and kindergarten.

I don't believe that each of them makes $135k.

Please share where they work, what degrees they have, and how long they have been teaching.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#26]
The issue with Texas football stadiums is 2 fold.  First, about 15 years or so ago - we created the "Robbin Hood Plan" to help even out school district funding.  School Districts in Texas are funded with community property tax.  Some communities have a LOT higher tax base than others.  The loophole was that they focused operating expenses.  A school got to keep X amount per student for operating expenses, the excess went to the state.  Sounded good, but payments on capital expenses were made first - they did not go into the pool that was looked at for operating expenses.  So if you had a school district that had 10m excess after operating expenses (and no debt), they knew they would just loose that money to the state.  Or they could make a bond, build shit, and use that excess to pay off the debt service.  So hell yes, lets get a 100m stadium rather than sending the money to someone else.

I am not sure, but eventually I think we did get rid of Robin Hood.

The second problem (specifically to football) was that football programs tended to make money.  They could self fund if they could fill the stadiums.  Build it and they will come became an attitude.  Hell, we built an expensive new gym for basketball - we rarely could fill it ourselves, but it was significant enough that we could rent it during playoffs when certain games had to be at a neutral location.  Plus, it was built during Robin Hood.
---
The final part is not related to Football.  (so not one of the 2).  Our town has one major industry - education.  To attract new families, we needed to be a great school.  We had good (enough) teachers, but the "new" school buildings were over 50 years old (most were 75 to over 100).  So we tore out a lot of the buildings that were supposed to be temporary after WWII - and built a new, fucking expensive school in their place.  The oldest buildings were left - but that 50's and 60's shit was removed.  (I do miss the old cafeteria that was a recycled WWII army surplus - but oh well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your wife is working outside of contract hours. That is her choice, and she should stop doing it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#28]
The best solution is to end government schools.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Neither of those proposals really change anything.

Year around schedules just stretch the breaks into different time periods. I loved year around as a kid. Shorter summer but frequent long breaks.

Changing pensions is similarly pointless. Most systems just automatically deduct a particular proportion of pay to fund the pension. You're making no difference, and the pension and relatively earlier retirement has always been the tradeoff for generally less lucrative government jobs. You'd end up paying more, just with the difference that financially dumb teachers would drive nicer cars out the gate and work ten more years because they didn't start saving right away for retirement. Napkin math a mandatory 6-7% pension deduction vs a 401k deduction at a modest 60k pay schedule. Total napkin math, no allowances for CoL or raises. After 30 years that 117kish savings becomes around 600k at a modest 7% interest, and over 15-20 years that isn't a lot different from a pension. That's extremely rough math of course but while a pension might be nice it's hardly a ticket to riches in most places that aren't NY or NJ or maybe CA.

Not really sure why people think government pensions aren't just funded by pay deduction. The vast, vast majority are.

Meritocracy sounds nice but there should he an incentive to attempt to bring up the shittiest part of our society. Wave a wand and tie teacher pay to student performance and in a few years the black inner city community would essentially be entirely uneducated. What is essentially just government mandated childcare now would actually probably literally become that.

Now stipends or provisions for measurable growth year over year, and meeting targets, could be viable. And many districts do have exactly that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am not sure, but eventually I think we did get rid of Robin Hood.

View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is right about 2.5-3 times the average. Not typical.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Merit based pay ... if your students are not passing, you don't get a raise.

Shit schools will get fixed REAL fucking quick
View Quote

L. Oh. Fucking. L.

Please think about this for a bit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I recently looked at the teacher's pay for our small school district. All of the admin made well over 100k and most of the junior high and up teachers made 70k or more. Very few made less than 50k a year. If the teacher did coaching or other extra it was about 2-5k more a year.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

She has kids for years at a time and she loves working with them. Like I said, she makes a fraction of what I do and she has a personal preference to keep working with kids. She has no interest in stocking shelves, or getting a speech pathology masters that would result in working with less children than she does now.

She has several coworkers that work just as hard and love the kids just as much, but have to decide between being able to live on a paycheck or do something else.
View Quote

Sounds like she has weighed her options and taking everything into account decided she wants to stay where she is. Lots of people take huge pay cuts to have less responsibility/work less. I don’t see them claiming they should be paid the same as before. Some things are more important than money.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#35]
My 21 year old son (Bachelor's Applied Math) signed a contract for a long term h.s. sub job for next year making 53 grands, with 12 personal/sick days included. Seems decent to me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

2-4 weeks of vacation

what is it like a part time hobby?

they would have a mental break down if they tried starting their own business

how about this ....

we don't need commie indoctrinators sponsored by tax monies any more than a potato in the white house
View Quote

Lol or try working somewhere that actually gives decent vacation time. I take about two 10 ish day vacations a year. Family time is important and I have no plans to work myself to death. If all that is important to you is work, so be it but don’t dog on people who actually have lives outside of their work
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't believe that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe that.
Then it's obvious you have never worked in public education
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A lot of that is Johnny himself not wanting to learn.  You can't make someone learn something if they are not inclined to learn it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking at how Johnny can't read, spell or solve a basic math problem, they are overpaid.

I somewhat agree and know there are schools that are complete madhouses.

But you spent 4 years learning how to teach kids. You have them for 7 hours. Yeah they’re kids but if you want professional pay you gotta be a professional
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#40]
You would be surprised at what Teachers own in New England they are paid good enough.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sure. And when every special needs teacher quits for the same reason? There is an argument for the abolishment of public schools, but you need to have a viable replacement at least proposed.
View Quote

Let me ask you this. How much does she make, and how much do you think she should make? Also what is the median income where you live?

You’ve stated she works 70 hours a week. Is that because there is actually that much work to do, or is she just doing the work inefficiently? If she could do all of her work in 40 hours a week would that change your opinion on her pay?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My wife is a high school English teacher and she would agree OP.  They don't get paid paid jack all in ND, she has some seniority and gets about 40k/year.
View Quote

That’s 50k+ a year if she were working a full 12 months, and median salary in ND is 32k. Sounds decent to me. Sure it could be better everyone likes more money, but I don’t feel that’s necessarily unfair.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As a full time teacher myself, I really wish this myth of being paid for the summer off would just FUCKEN stop.

I get paid for 12 months when I work only 10 months because I spread my pay out to cover the months I am not working.

We should just allow AI to start teaching, I mean some of you guys are such amazing penny pinchers, that I bet if you stuck a lump of coal in some of your asses, a cheap diamond might come out of it.
View Quote

You work less than 10 months out of the year.  I don't get spring break, winter break, or the other random days off.  More like 9 months out of the year.  And are paid accordingly.

Teachers also get pensions.  I don't understand why teachers bitch about pay when they don't even work a full 2080 hour year.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Where are teachers working 70 hour weeks?!? That's insane. My wife used to be a public school teacher. Her hours were basically 7:30 to 3:30. The only teachers that had to bring work home were the ones that spent their scheduled planning period gossiping instead of working.
My wife left the school to homeschool our children mostly because she saw how bad it is from the inside (and we're districted for a "good" school).

Also, a typical teacher contract is like 185 days, so 8 hrs/day x 185 days = 1480 hours per year. $52k / 1480 = $35/hr

Teacher pay isn't as terrible as many of them make it out to be.
View Quote

Lol at teachers working 70 hours a week.  

You know where the most dangerous place in the world is?  The school parking lot at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife did briefly taught high-school kids a nursing program. They wanted someone with a buttload of experience and to pay them nothing. There is no nurse or anyone with the tenure and degrees they wanted that would take that without a MASSIVE pay cut.
"But being off in the summer" it was bullshit.
Teaching needs a massive overhaul.
Good luck getting permformanced based anything going through. These kids don't have to do shit and you can't make them. Best you can do is send them to the principal if they are assholes. That won't bring their grades up though. Parents don't give a shit either.
Until the school can fix behavior issues easily nothing will change.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Unions...never happen.

Keep in mind, that I don't know of any teacher that gets 12-month SALARY.  They're paid 10-month salary, and just have it stretched out over 12 months.
View Quote

This. My ex wife is a teacher. Annual salary paid over ten months. Problem is, many forget that fact and don't budget accordingly. Then they complain they have to get summer jobs.

Merit based pay is the answer. More money doesn't make a bad teacher suddenly better.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My wife did briefly taught high-school kids a nursing program. They wanted someone with a buttload of experience and to pay them nothing. There is no nurse or anyone with the tenure and degrees they wanted that would take that without a MASSIVE pay cut.
"But being off in the summer" it was bullshit.
Teaching needs a massive overhaul.
Good luck getting permformanced based anything going through. These kids don't have to do shit and you can't make them. Best you can do is send them to the principal if they are assholes. That won't bring their grades up though. Parents don't give a shit either.
Until the school can fix behavior issues easily nothing will change.
View Quote

Around here: Masters level plus ten years at 55k, bachelors at 40k, we will send our worst, good luck! Summer and retirement is the only reason anyone stays, bennies are dogshit and so is pay.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You could pay teachers enough to be the top 0.000001% of earners and wealth holders, it will not fix the problem.

It might even make it worse.

The problem is not the facilities, or the pay rate.

The main problem is that any schools of any type are allowed to take ANY tax-drived funds, at all.

If you take tax funds, that removes you from having to be responsible to the people who pay the funds. This is inherent.

The people that run taxpayer funded institutions KNOW that they ultimately *do not need to care what you think.*

Government unions are an order of magnitude worse. They are tax-funded unions. Unions that rely on strikes to pressure employers are inherently anti-worker. So a tax funded union coercively takes your money to pay them to not work.

Just barely behind those in importance are the teachers colleges. Colleges of education were and are a target for the left and have been almost universally utterly perverted to the point they cannot be fixed. They are the absolute worst of the rot, if not vying very hard to be the worst. They can only be destroyed now, and replaced later, after the systemic virus that ruined them is utterly expunged.

The last I'll mention is curriciulum. Your kid might be in a no-tax taking no-colleges of education teacher taking anti-union school, but the curriculums that are available are greatly affected by the conditions I mentioned above.

IMO teacher's pay levels is so far down the scale of importance compared to these that it's almost not worth mentioning.
View Quote

Obviously we are speaking in generalities here, but the problem is ultimately culture and demographics.

If the district is mostly occupied by families whose culture is broken then the outcomes at the school are going to be terrible no matter what.

On the demographic side If the district is full of recent illegal immigrants who don’t speak English, and aren’t up to the educational level they should be for their age the outcome for the district will also be terrible.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Taking their pension away and giving them the cash does not save a dime. In fact, it would cost more in the short run because pensions are under funded. Oh, before you suggest it, you cannot take away the pension befit tgat was already earned. You either have to buy them out or honor the original pension agreement for benefits already earned.

Have class year round with 2-4 weeks off in the summer will interfere with the parents vacation. Everyone with kids in school will have to schedule their vaccinations during the 2-4 weeks school is closed. Think of how many companies will have to shutdown for vaccinations. Where are rpthey going to go for vaccination when everyone is on vacation at the same time. All the hotels and tourist destinations will be booked. What happens to the vacation resort employees who have very little to do the schools are in session?

This is a major change and will have impact far beyond what you think.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We need to be honest with ourselves that K-12 can be taught by non-degrees people and it’s more or less glorified babysitting.  Ditch the K-12 model, everyone goes to grades 1-8…if your aptitude is college level or mommy and daddy can foot the bill…off you go to college at grade 9, if not..,off you go to trade/vocational school.  Teachers grade 9 through 12are largely as useless as tits on a boar.
View Quote

You honestly think anyone can be a teacher? We have a lot of unqualified teachers or teachers that are qualified but don’t care in Chicago public schools. I am sure it is true in other school systems but I am close to Chicago and get their news. It woukd be very hard for anyone to be a teacher without having a degree.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top