Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Outcome based pay.
View Quote

We already have that and it has predictably ensured that grades have gone up.  When you start measuring teacher access against student achievement, it's 100% guaranteed grades will improve.

I work with a couple of old school, hard nosed English teachers who refuse to yield, and getting an A in their class still means something.

There's a petition to have them fired because not enough kids get As in their class.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:59:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The "teacher pay problem" is teacher union propaganda.

View Quote

Why Yes it is!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:00:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Conventional schooling is harmful enough without making it year round.  
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.  Does anyone really want them to have more time to destroy kids?

The truth is most parents view school as nothing more than thir childcare service.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:05:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do you have a pension? If so, [not being a smart ass, I'd like to see what the after retirement compensation is to compare that, especially if one also funds another retirement fund] how much is it? How many years to teach before it maxes out and you can retire?
View Quote

In most places, the pension is largely employee-funded.  I pay 7.5% out of every check, and the system pays 6%, you know like the vaunted private sector and 401k matches?

Most pension systems are either a straight 30 years or the rule of 90, meaning age and service must add up to 90.

My observation is things are shifting to the latter, but I'm in a straight 30 year system.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Look at getting a TRS estimate of her vested pension.
Is she in the type of school district that doesn't pay social security withholding?

Run the numbers with a professional and see what they come out.
Compare staying as a trs annuiant vs. a regular employee with social security and a 401k in the long run.

@Its_Raining_Lead
View Quote

This.

I'm going to take the vested amount which will be about a 25% reduction from the full service.

I can't do this another 6 years.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:13:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Full voucher system, Swedish style.
View Quote

That's cool.and all, but you first do realize that your voucher would only cover a portion of your tuition elsewhere, right?

When they say "$15,000/student" as the budgetary number that gets thrown around, it's not as if your kid gets $15000 in services, and ts not as if you paid $15000 in taxes for school.

There are some kids that get over $100k in services, and all f the people with no kids pay taxes for your kids too.

Secondly, vouchers would destroy private schools and the unions and social justice activists actually know this.  Those vouchers are going to be open to the shitty kids too and just like Section 8 housing vouchers you can be assured that legislation would be written similarly for education vouchers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:22:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The one way to get rid of teachers is all year school and no pay raise
View Quote

Yeah no one would have the stomach for a 20% raise in their taxes to pay for year round school.

When states/systems use that term what they typically mean is a weird assed 6 weeks on, 2-3 weeks off , schedule that's still effectively the same number of school days but just spread out fifferently.

You'd lose thousands of teachers overnight because they could neither work their summer jobs or take required coursework.  It would also fundamentally change family vacations and disrupt work schedules.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Merit based pay ... if your students are not passing, you don't get a raise.

Shit schools will get fixed REAL fucking quick
View Quote

Evaluations are already based on that thanks to Obama Era mandates and it was miraculous how much improved the grades are these days when teachers evaluations and continuation are hinged on student achievement.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:31:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This it’s quite frankly a super easy job with no shortage of possible employees.

if anything teachers are overpaid.

Ending public schools would lessen the effect of actually competent teachers being paid similarly to incompetent ones though.
View Quote

We have 250 teacher vacancies in a school system where starting pay is $55k a year.  There's definitely a shortage and we are hemorrhaging people left and right at the top of the pay scale where it's possible to make $115k as a 10 month teacher.

The pay isn't the factor for why no one wata to come in and also why long term employees are leaving.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:34:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Outcome based pay.
View Quote

Although I understand the sentiment should we really adopt a private sector model for teachers?? If your kid is dumb should a teacher be allowed to kick him/her out of class in order to pad the teachers numbers?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:35:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don’t mean that it’s a separate issue.  I mean it’s another valid issue to add to the pile of things school districts waste money on.

Something I recall from high school was that all the coaches were required to hold a teaching job with the district.  I suppose that was meant to keep schools from wasting money on full time coaches.  In reality it meant that many of our teachers were in it for the coaching and were not very good teaching academics.  Our history department was full of these types.
View Quote

That's changed here and I suspect other places because they couldn't couldn't keep teachers if they were required to coach.  No one chants to coach anymore so they disassociate the 2 roles.  Most of our coaches do not teach in our building.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:39:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't see how pensions being taken away will change for the better. Pension contributions are paid by the employee and not the employer.  The pension system actually saves taxpayers money because when the  employee pays Social Security taxes some  of that is matched by the employer, and in this case it would be the taxpayers. The teachers retire they don't normally collect Social Security. However, if they had a job prior to being a teacher, or sometime during teaching and paying into the Social Security, every dollar, collecting from the pension would be deducted from the Social Security check and since most pensions pay more than Social Security would pays they would not collect Social Security. It's called a Windfall Provision act.
View Quote

We pay into pension and social security as des our employer.  We collect both.

I think there are 13 states if I recall correctly where your statement about no social security applies.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The sacred cow that needs slaughtered. Public Education.

I say give the money to the parents per kid and privatize it.
View Quote

Your voucher would at best be the amount of your property taxes or school taxes that you pay into the system..  No voucher model would ever give back enough to cover the full cost of a private school.

And again. You don't think a voucher system wouldn't come with strings attached that would prohibit turning kids away, do you?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:55:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What about fall break, winter break, and spring break and service days and holidays, and snow days? What about vacation time off?  I am not arguing here just curious how much total time teachers get off.  All of the above seems to add you to 4 months off and 8 months work time
View Quote

Teachers do not get paid for "days off".  They are paid for the number of contracted days.

A typical 180 day school year for kids will require anywhere from 185 to 200 duty days for teachers.

Our system is 190 duty tays for regular teachers
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That is when you can't fire a Teacher LOL

View Quote

Another great myth.  The only thing that so called tenure in the K-12 system does is to give a reasonable assurance of a continuing contract each year as long as you dont fuck up, and then some assurance of due process if you do fuck up or are accused of fucking up.

We fire teachers for fucking up all the time after following due process.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The small classes are a lie.

We supposedly have 15:1 student to teacher ratio.  That doesn't take into account that many of those teachers don't teach classes.  My smallest class was 29 and my largest was 36.  Don't buy the lie.

View Quote

It also doesn't take into account the kids in wheelchairs with a one to one aid who changes their diapers and feeds them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What about fall break, winter break, and spring break and service days and holidays, and snow days? What about vacation time off?  I am not arguing here just curious how much total time teachers get off.  All of the above seems to add you to 4 months off and 8 months work time
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a full time teacher myself, I really wish this myth of being paid for the summer off would just FUCKEN stop.

I get paid for 12 months when I work only 10 months because I spread my pay out to cover the months I am not working.

We should just allow AI to start teaching, I mean some of you guys are such amazing penny pinchers, that I bet if you stuck a lump of coal in some of your asses, a cheap diamond might come out of it.

The approximate week or shorter vacations (Winter/Christmas and April) are a joke. For example, my last several April vacations have largely ended up turning into work sessions. Last year, I spent the time writing multiple IEPs and 4 educational eval reports. I believe that I ended up with 3-days off. This year spent significant amounts of time doing all manner of legal documentation. The year before COVID, no sooner was my flight cancelled than I got a call encouraging me to come in to audit files. Many vacations are scheduled around holidays (e.g. its common for April break week to include Good Friday, which is a contractual holiday- in order to minimize random holidays). On the most recent holiday (off and unpaid for my union), I know that I worked a full day. I also know that my building and district administrators were also working.

In service training days are full work days for staff. We have one during the school year (election day). The others are in August- in other words, teachers are working for several days before kids get back. Because of the way that those professional days are scheduled, classroom set-up and 1st week planning normally occur on a teacher's own time.

Snow days get made up via extension of the academic year. For me, it's like an extra work day. (i.e. I need to make individual notification calls to any families with PPT/IEP meetings scheduled on those days, advise of cancellation, work with them to reschedule- hopefully while still in compliance- prepare new meeting notification paperwork, reprocess staff invites and coverage requests, and make notification to my administration should any meetings need to be rescheduled for dates that would be considered out of compliance. Last snow-day, I ended up working for about 4 or 5 hours- though I admit that I ended up preparing mailings as well that still need to get out in legally defined timeframes.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Another great myth.  The only thing that so called tenure in the K-12 system does is to give a reasonable assurance of a continuing contract each year as long as you dont fuck up, and then some assurance of due process if you do fuck up or are accused of fucking up.

We fire teachers for fucking up all the time after following due process.
View Quote

As a non-tenured/high payscale teacher, the month of April scares the shit out of me. In Connecticut, non-renewals need be notified by 1 MAY of a given year. Even though I don't have any performance issues, I am always afraid that I would be a very easy target if there was a budget issue.

Tenure is also very important protection for some of the political* decision-making that can exist in public schools.

*not like Republican/Democrat political. As in administrative preferences/ squeaky families political.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

As a non-tenured/high payscale teacher, the month of April scares the shit out of me. In Connecticut, non-renewals need be notified by 1 MAY of a given year. Even though I don't have any performance issues, I am always afraid that I would be a very easy target if there was a budget issue.

Tenure is also very important protection for some of the political* decision-making that can exist in public schools.

*not like Republican/Democrat political. As in administrative preferences/ squeaky families political.
View Quote

Indeed on your last point.  Having so called tenure allows me to push back against administration a bit, and it allows me to say "no" when they want me to do stuff not required by my job.

Employees without those protections are often let go for not taking on coaching or club advisor duties, or for not chaperoning prom.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Dump 2/3rds of the administrators. That trims a shit load of fat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#21]
The teachers I knew did not vacation during their entire summer break; they worked other non-teaching jobs for extra money or picked up extra money coaching sports on a separate contract.  If all you're doing is fucking off during the entire summer, you're not getting any sympathy from me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Seriously, my BIL and sister make 135,000 a year each teaching 5th and kindergarten.
That's the equivalent of $86.00 an hour for the 40 hour a week worker.
This doesn't include the value of the bennies.

they work 9 months of the year, have health care and retirement.
What is this teacher pay issue?
View Quote

The median teacher salary for the district where I last lived in NY is $122k.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
70 hr/wk * 4.3 wk/mo * 10.5 mo/yr = 3,160 hours/year

$52k/yr --> $16/hr

What's missing from the hourly wage evaluation is the toll taken by working 70 hours/wk.  Add in the kids' issues; add in the parents' issues,... it adds up.  

Teachers, real teachers, are under-valued and under-appreciated in our society.  

Because of that, you get crappy teachers in the schools.  Eliminating tenure and starting merit-based pay will go a long way to solving that probem.
View Quote

Where did you get 70 hr work week?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My wife is a high school English teacher and she would agree OP.  They don't get paid paid jack all in ND, she has some seniority and gets about 40k/year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The solution may be as simple as it is politically unpopular.

First, end teacher pensions. Most taxpayers don't have pensions in the 21st century, so it makes sense to end pensions for public servants who work for the taxpayers. Use that money for direct teacher pay instead, and allow the teachers to save for their own retirement, much the same as the taxpayers paying teachers' salaries.

Second, go to year-round school. Then society can justify paying teachers for 12 months of work. If two to four weeks of vacation is enough for taxpayers, it's enough for public servants who work for the taxpayers.

There are other steps that can be taken, but these two are simple common sense. Unfortunately, that makes them difficult to implement when unions and government bureaucrats are involved.

My wife is a high school English teacher and she would agree OP.  They don't get paid paid jack all in ND, she has some seniority and gets about 40k/year.

Starting pay in my area of ND is higher than that. Moving to a new location in ND would solve her pay problem.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Indeed on your last point.  Having so called tenure allows me to push back against administration a bit, and it allows me to say "no" when they want me to do stuff not required by my job.

Employees without those protections are often let go for not taking on coaching or club advisor duties, or for not chaperoning prom.
View Quote

That's how I got roped into running the parent organization.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Home. School.

Pay problems will be completely solved if no child is in a public school.

Children will actually get a decent education without the extra curricular garbage from public schools.

No more school shootings.

Win/win solution.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#27]
AI will do it. No more human Teachers, problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

That goes for more than teachers
One of my retired co-workers decided to take a part time support position job at one of the local school districts and he was telling me recently that almost immediately the admins were putting pressure on him to work sporting events and other school events that had absolutely nothing to do with the position he was hired for. It got so bad he pulled the plug at the end of the academic year
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Home. School.

Pay problems will be completely solved if no child is in a public school.

Children will actually get a decent education without the extra curricular garbage from public schools.

No more school shootings.

Win/win solution.

View Quote

100%

Can't believe in this Era there are still so many who trust the state with their most important asset.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Read that back to yourself a few times and think about the potential ramifications.

As someone who works closely with all manner of school employees and all agesand types of kids: GD school threads are inevitably an uninformed shit show each and every time. There are people exaggerating on both sides here and cherrypicking data wildly. Since we're generalizing here, I'll go ahead and say that the people screeching the loudest about education don't know shit about fuck, they just read shock jock headlines, saber rattling bullshit from people online and hearsay.

Here is one example that has probably gone around at the vast majority of schools in the country: "I heard that there are some kids there that act like animals and they had to put in a litter box for the kid to go to the bathroom in! What is wrong with our schools these days?!" Despite hearing this same thing repeated across many, many districts I've yet to have that confirmed true anywhere. That's other to say it hasn't happened in lib strongholds, just an example of people talking out of their ass.

Want education to improve? I can write down a list of the problems and the potential solutions but it is far easier to simply state the overarching cause, which is that our culture and society are in shambles.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#31]
There is not a teacher pay problem.

The problem is that everyone has accepted the core marxist tenet of public state education.  Liberals celebrate it.  Conservatives quietly enjoy the free daycare and benefits of dual income while pretending to lament losing the nation to ideologues.

Abolishing public school seems extreme today, it will not seem so extreme with the blessing of experience and hindsight in thirty years.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Where are teachers working 70 hour weeks?!? That's insane. My wife used to be a public school teacher. Her hours were basically 7:30 to 3:30. The only teachers that had to bring work home were the ones that spent their scheduled planning period gossiping instead of working.
My wife left the school to homeschool our children mostly because she saw how bad it is from the inside (and we're districted for a "good" school).

Also, a typical teacher contract is like 185 days, so 8 hrs/day x 185 days = 1480 hours per year. $52k / 1480 = $35/hr

Teacher pay isn't as terrible as many of them make it out to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$52k/yr --> $16/hr

What's missing from the hourly wage evaluation is the toll taken by working 70 hours/wk.  Add in the kids' issues; add in the parents' issues,... it adds up.  

Because of that, you get crappy teachers in the schools.  Eliminating tenure and starting merit-based pay will go a long way to solving that probem.

Where are teachers working 70 hour weeks?!? That's insane. My wife used to be a public school teacher. Her hours were basically 7:30 to 3:30. The only teachers that had to bring work home were the ones that spent their scheduled planning period gossiping instead of working.
My wife left the school to homeschool our children mostly because she saw how bad it is from the inside (and we're districted for a "good" school).

Also, a typical teacher contract is like 185 days, so 8 hrs/day x 185 days = 1480 hours per year. $52k / 1480 = $35/hr

Teacher pay isn't as terrible as many of them make it out to be.

My ex wife has been working as a school nurse at an elementary school for the past 5 years. She said she has no idea why some teachers complain so much about pay when they have so much time off. No weekends, every holiday imaginable off, snow days off, school vacations off, and summers off. It works out to more like 4 months a year off. She is paid a bit over $1k a week throughout the entire year, but said if she were just paid for the weeks she actually works it would be over $1700/week.

After working the first 10 years of her career in hospitals she said she's never leaving the school systems.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't believe that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something needs to change. My wife works 70 hours a week for 10.5 months for less than she would make at a Buc'ees stocking Beaver Nuggets.

I don't believe that.

Grading papers is an after school/after hours activity and takes up a lot of time for a math teacher.    A good teacher grades papers in order to see individual students progress.  

Work doesn't end with the last bell of the school day.  

School dances, after school activities require teacher supervision.  

It ain't just an 8 hour day for the good ones
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The "teacher pay problem" is teacher union propaganda.

View Quote

This, especially when you figure in all the time off work and pension.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

$52k/yr --> $16/hr

View Quote

BS on the 70 hr/wk unless they are volunteering or getting paid separately for after school programs.

School day is 6.5 to 7 hours.   Get there half an hour early, an hour average of work at the end of the day.

42.5 hour work week. 52k/yr--->$27 per hour.

Eta: Also teachers are paid on a 185 day year.  

That boosts the pay to. $33 dollars an hour.

If the teacher is motivated and gets their prep work down during there break period and averages 30 minutes at the end of the day they are up to $35 per hour.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Something needs to change. My wife works 70 hours a week for 10.5 months for less than she would make at a Buc'ees stocking Beaver Nuggets.
View Quote

So she works 10 hours a day 7 days a week? I have several teacher friends, they are not working ANYTHING close to that.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Here teachers work on 10 month and many average 60+ hour weeks.  They average about $20/hr.  This is a little more that starting fast food or WalMart, but less than the better production jobs left in this area.  "Most taxpayers" aren't working 2900 hours a year.  

Get rid of teacher pensions?  They can't afford to retire now.  You think this will fix something?  You won't have any teachers, so I guess it is one way of getting rid of government education.  I've never worked for anything length of time where there wasn't some sort of retirement plans.  

Just pay teachers a reasonable wage.  You can fund it be reforming the way schools spend money.  The waste and corruption is just horrendous.  

View Quote

Well said and based.    Nobody will listen  because F everything government.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Public School teachers are the cause of most of the issues we have with younger generations these days.

Public school teachers can't go a week without fucking yet another underaged kid. Yet I'm sure public school teachers, being such leftist atheistic pricks... love mocking the Catholic church and other churches... despite school teachers having far *FAR* worse rates of being guilty of that very same offense.

Public school teachers *DESERVE* every bit of ridicule and mistreatment coming their way. Are you a conservative teacher? Oh well. Maybe recognize the hatred and disdain you face is a direct result of your shitty ass colleagues that honestly shouldn't even be allowed to live in America anymore as far as I'm concerned. I mean that.

All these scumbag teachers trying to convince little boys that they're really little girls and vice versa... should have their wicked asses exiled. And thats me being merciful.

The vast majority of public school teachers are literal scum of the earth, willing to brainwash children with harmful degenerate state propaganda. Jesus would have tied a millstone around most of their necks and thrown them in the ocean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So tiring,  we hate teachers! Pay them less ! Take their pension! Work them more hours!

We hate government employees! Fire them all !

We hate public agencies!

We hate police
We hate firefighters
We hate garbage workers
We hate we hate we want to take from

Sounds like liberals screaming only in reverse..
Societies woes fall on teachers making $47,500 with mediocre benefits, good time off, and the hope of a pension after 35 years. No other problems plague society - everything else has been fixed.

If it's so great, sign up.
Public School teachers are the cause of most of the issues we have with younger generations these days.

Public school teachers can't go a week without fucking yet another underaged kid. Yet I'm sure public school teachers, being such leftist atheistic pricks... love mocking the Catholic church and other churches... despite school teachers having far *FAR* worse rates of being guilty of that very same offense.

Public school teachers *DESERVE* every bit of ridicule and mistreatment coming their way. Are you a conservative teacher? Oh well. Maybe recognize the hatred and disdain you face is a direct result of your shitty ass colleagues that honestly shouldn't even be allowed to live in America anymore as far as I'm concerned. I mean that.

All these scumbag teachers trying to convince little boys that they're really little girls and vice versa... should have their wicked asses exiled. And thats me being merciful.

The vast majority of public school teachers are literal scum of the earth, willing to brainwash children with harmful degenerate state propaganda. Jesus would have tied a millstone around most of their necks and thrown them in the ocean.

You really believe this garbage?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Buc'ees pays well, and even has a better insurance package than the HMO Blue Cross the district offers. She got a dual degree to specifically work with severe and profound special needs kids. Being a teacher has never paid well, and she never went in expecting to make more than a small fraction of what I do, but she started at 38k in 2006 and makes 52k now. She's lost against inflation every year.
View Quote

You are subsidizing her lifestyle.  She found something she loves to do and needed someone to achieve that lifestyle.  Good for her.  

A vast majority of us are working for the money and benefits.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#40]
First off, teach a few months in a low income area and you’ll see the hell that is hidden

Second, just sub a few times and see what that’s like

Third, too many assistant teachers, etc. with pay and benefits so use that money to increase pay for teachers…this is a huge problem by Democrats design

Fourth, too many unnecessary admin positions such as instructional coaches, interventionists, etc. we need those good teachers in the classroom but they want out

Fifth, special education and ELL…second language suck so much money up it is unbelievable

Sixth, there is no teacher shortage just a shortage in shitty areas or a shortage where the type of teaching jobs sucks because you’re stuck with mental institution type students or second language chaos
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We already have that and it has predictably ensured that grades have gone up.  When you start measuring teacher access against student achievement, it's 100% guaranteed grades will improve.

I work with a couple of old school, hard nosed English teachers who refuse to yield, and getting an A in their class still means something.

There's a petition to have them fired because not enough kids get As in their class.
View Quote

Merit based pay is meaningless, we do stuff like take 40% of the kids that have English as a secondary language and 20% of the kids are on IEP and place them in general Ed.    You gonna want your husband or wife’s pay on how well those kids do?  Get real
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Fire them all
why we pay Communist globo homo indoctrinators in the first place?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#43]
At every school I've ever attended or visited, the staff parking lot has been full of new-ish Tahoes and Cadillacs and shit, and the staff all appeared well fed and well dressed.

Tell me more about this "teacher pay problem".

Now, if you want to pay them more, which is fine and dandy, the money has to come from somewhere. You must either collect more, or spend less on things other than teacher salaries.

Does anyone really want to pay even MORE tax to fund schools? Of course not; taxes are already excessive.

Therefore, spending less must be the way to go.....

Why does a school need a TEAM of highly paid "administrators", and why are they paid more than the teachers?  Get rid of management waste, and add that to the teacher salaries.

Why does a school need to spend money on non-school stuff, AKA "extracurricular programs"?
Does the football team teach kids to read? Do they learn much math or history on a basketball court?
Why the fuck is money being spent playing games instead of teaching English, math, science and history?
Cut the bullshit, and spend that money on fucking classroom supplies and teachers, and maybe some security staff so fewer kids will get shot up at school.

There's plenty of other shit, but it boils down to "waste not, want not". Quit spending money on the shit that doesn't provide basic education, and quit throwing money at lost causes, and there will be plenty of money there to do the actual job of educating the students who are capable of being educated.

One reason why none of that will ever happen: "democracy"
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That goes for more than teachers
One of my retired co-workers decided to take a part time support position job at one of the local school districts and he was telling me recently that almost immediately the admins were putting pressure on him to work sporting events and other school events that had absolutely nothing to do with the position he was hired for. It got so bad he pulled the plug at the end of the academic year
View Quote

It's the benefit of being in a negotiating unit.  We have people in non negotiated units that are at-will and they are abused beyond belief with "extra duties as assigned"
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who's programming the AI?  Do you really trust that?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the same people who have been programming the teachers. What's the difference?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Teachers arnt paid for the full year.

They are paid a set amount for the days worked and typically have the option to have it spread equally to twelve months.

Year round schools still have a lot of days off.  Instead of a long summer break they have more week or so long breaks at other times.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#48]
It is a bitter pill to swallow for most people, but from a purely economic standpoint teachers are overpaid due to government interference on classroom maximum sizes.

Go to 300 students in an auditorium freshman college style and those wages go way down, or lower paid teachers aids int he classroom and 4k streaming video of a pre-recorded teacher and the job is goes the way of the buggy whip makers.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not saying I trust it at all. It is a solution to the teacher pay issue is all. Pay a programmer to make an AI teaching coricculum, you only need a human to monitor the students.  It would remove teachers entirely,  and let's face it AI will be smarter than any of the smartest people to ever walk the earth in short order.  

Imagine you choose the coricculum you want your student to learn, all interactive on tablets.  Probably don't even need physical schools anymore.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Probably the same people who have been programming the teachers. What's the difference?
View Quote

You have a single pathway for who/what is teaching your kids rather than the possibility that at least some chance that some of their teachers are both competent and not a batshit Marxist.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top