BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Read that back to yourself a few times and think about the potential ramifications.

As someone who works closely with all manner of school employees and a l agesand types of kids: GD school threads are inevitably an uninformed shit show each and every time. There are people exaggerating on both sides here and cherrypicking data wildly. Since we're generalizing here, I'll go ahead and say that the people screeching the loudest about education don't know shit about fuck, they just read shock jock headlines, saber rattling bullshit from people online and hearsay.

Want education to improve? I can write down a list of the problems and the potential solutions but it is far easier to simply state the overarching cause, which is that our culture and society are in shambles.
View Quote

The single best summary of this thread and the situation with public education.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The inherent problem with this scenario, as has otherwise been noted, it that teachers pay is correlated with location. 60k/year is outstanding in our location, but may not be closer to KC where costs are significantly higher. Consider how many schools are burbs or city and render that cost. That's also not meant to imply that a single teacher should be comfortably middle class but most of what I read here I can answer by location

My inherent issue with the premise is accountability. I'm not paying more taxes for the same effort so there needs to be a system of paying performance (the teachers busting their ass) vs the phone it in/don't give a fuck/I'm tenured people. Private schools manage somehow
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
At every school I've ever attended or visited, the staff parking lot has been full of new-ish Tahoes and Cadillacs and shit, and the staff all appeared well fed and well dressed.

Tell me more about this "teacher pay problem".

Now, if you want to pay them more, which is fine and dandy, the money has to come from somewhere. You must either collect more, or spend less on things other than teacher salaries.

Does anyone really want to pay even MORE tax to fund schools? Of course not; taxes are already excessive.

Therefore, spending less must be the way to go.....

Why does a school need a TEAM of highly paid "administrators", and why are they paid more than the teachers?  Get rid of management waste, and add that to the teacher salaries.

Why does a school need to spend money on non-school stuff, AKA "extracurricular programs"?
Does the football team teach kids to read? Do they learn much math or history on a basketball court?
Why the fuck is money being spent playing games instead of teaching English, math, science and history?
Cut the bullshit, and spend that money on fucking classroom supplies and teachers, and maybe some security staff so fewer kids will get shot up at school.

There's plenty of other shit, but it boils down to "waste not, want not". Quit spending money on the shit that doesn't provide basic education, and quit throwing money at lost causes, and there will be plenty of money there to do the actual job of educating the students who are capable of being educated.

One reason why none of that will ever happen: "democracy"
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
They should also put a corporal punishment program back in the schools and require teachers to stop fucking the students
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They should also put a corporal punishment program back in the schools and require teachers to stop fucking the students
View Quote

You know the second part is already the law, right?

Yet, every time the teacher is female and remotely hot, GD high fives the boy that tapped it
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read that back to yourself a few times and think about the potential ramifications.

As someone who works closely with all manner of school employees and a l agesand types of kids: GD school threads are inevitably an uninformed shit show each and every time. There are people exaggerating on both sides here and cherrypicking data wildly. Since we're generalizing here, I'll go ahead and say that the people screeching the loudest about education don't know shit about fuck, they just read shock jock headlines, saber rattling bullshit from people online and hearsay.

Want education to improve? I can write down a list of the problems and the potential solutions but it is far easier to simply state the overarching cause, which is that our culture and society are in shambles.

I agree,   A case of don’t mind what’s behind the curtain! Blame the low hanging fruit your favorite conservative talking head told you to blame.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I think they're over paid.

My wife gets paid over $90k to be a high school special ed teacher with less than 20 years of service.

She has to ask me "what is 2/3s of 3/4 cup" when she's figuring out how much to eat for her diet or how much to enter for her app, because it doesn't take fractions.

Or she didn't know what the animal was running after the cows in the pasture we passed the other day. It was a calf, with coloration matching the rest of the herd.

I love her, but I really wonder some days...

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Many public salaries like police, fire and teachers are limited as a function of the community income. Even if you wanted to pay these folks more, you cannot bleed dry the residents.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This!
View Quote

There's a different between a 22 year old teacher with no kids and a husband that works in the oilfield and  middle age teacher with 2 teenager at home and one at college trying to figure out how to buy groceries when the price of things  has increased 30% in the last few years and pay has increased 0-4%.

The latter tend to drive old Toyotas.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
The average annual LAUSD teacher salary is $5,250 per month.

They are typically bitter divorced liberal females who inflict their woke lunacy onto their pupils.

Any parents who are not homeschooling their kids are stupid to expose them to these government funded monsters.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Abolishing public school seems extreme today, it will not seem so extreme with the blessing of experience and hindsight in thirty years.
View Quote

Can you point to a single advanced society with a universally educated populace on the face of the planet where your suggested model is successfully used
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Many public salaries like police, fire and teachers are limited as a function of the community income. Even if you wanted to pay these folks more, you cannot bleed dry the residents.
View Quote

Ha, just look at PA where school boards are independent taxing authorities from the rest of the county government, and teachers have the ability to strike for more pay.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They are typically bitter divorced liberal females who inflict their woke lunacy onto their pupils.

Any parents who are not homeschooling their kids are stupid to expose them to these government funded monsters.

View Quote

Is $60k a year even above the poverty line in LA?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We already have that and it has predictably ensured that grades have gone up.  When you start measuring teacher access against student achievement, it's 100% guaranteed grades will improve.

I work with a couple of old school, hard nosed English teachers who refuse to yield, and getting an A in their class still means something.

There's a petition to have them fired because not enough kids get As in their class.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outcome based pay.

We already have that and it has predictably ensured that grades have gone up.  When you start measuring teacher access against student achievement, it's 100% guaranteed grades will improve.

I work with a couple of old school, hard nosed English teachers who refuse to yield, and getting an A in their class still means something.

There's a petition to have them fired because not enough kids get As in their class.

Yep.  I remember years ago when we adopted Danielson's FFT (ugh!).  Initially, there was talk of "merit pay"....they dropped that really quickly.  I routinely get called to the office because kids with otherwise "straight A's" show up on my D/E list each quarter.  

The system is profoundly broken from within.  When I was getting my certification (alternate), I had to attend a board of ed meeting.  It was one of their "closed-door" meetings.  First thing I noticed; it was fucking catered with HUGE chafing dishes lining the whole wall.  They said I could have some...I said with disgust "no thanks".  The big topic of the evening; how to bring up test scores.  ALL but ONE thought it would be best to just make the tests easier.

The next couple of years should be interesting.  We were just told that the MSDE will now be checking some students' grades.  Essentially, if you're getting a 2% on the math MCAP, why are you getting an "A" in your class at school?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Pay Problem?  What pay problem.  They were offered a job at this pay and they took it.  What’s the problem?  Don’t like it, quit and get a real job.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You could absolutely pay those folks more, without increasing tax collection.

However, it would require the will to quit wasting money on shit that doesn't get the job done, like politician and management salary, multi million dollar game-playing facilities, and "equity" initiatives.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

What, max of $3700 a month take home?  In Los Angeles?  Average so likely more than half of them are making less than that.

I won't argue about their value, but you really can't expect competent professional when you can't live on the pay.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#18]
if anything they should be getting paid less

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pay Problem?  What pay problem.  They were offered a job at this pay and they took it.  What’s the problem?  Don’t like it, quit and get a real job.
View Quote

Well, that's the problem...When they offer a job, there is no one who will take it...
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember they get paid for 10 months work, so it's more like $52k a year.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
if anything they should be getting paid less

View Quote

I'm a public teacher who certifies my high school seniors in Autodesk Revit so they can get drafting jobs with Architects, Interior Designers, Structural Engineers, MEP Engineers or Civil Engineers...should I be paid less???
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Outcome based pay.
View Quote

I’ll agree to this as long as schools can expel students for being stupid.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm a public teacher who certifies my high school seniors in Autodesk Revit so they can get drafting jobs with Architects, Interior Designers, Structural Engineers, MEP Engineers or Civil Engineers...should I be paid less???
View Quote

You should not receive any tax payer funded monies

You are free to use your skills in the market for arms-length transactions if you have marketable skills that others value
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I love these teacher threads. It's obvious 75% f GD has NO FUCKING CLUE how schools actually work. Better to just bitch about teacher and how they should work 200 hours a week pouring concrete and running a 2 billion dollar business like all of GD does. Also, most of GD would get fired from teaching in about 3 hours.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The problem is that then Schools are run the by low bidder, not the best and most capable people for the job.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't understand why she's not stocking beaver nuggets myself if the pay is better.

"I've worked in the private sector, they expect results..............''
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something needs to change. My wife works 70 hours a week for 10.5 months for less than she would make at a Buc'ees stocking Beaver Nuggets.

I don't believe that.

I don't understand why she's not stocking beaver nuggets myself if the pay is better.

"I've worked in the private sector, they expect results..............''

If the pay is so low, you'll only attract idiots. Same with all of those cops who end up doing a SWAT raid on the wrong house. The smart people will figure out it isn't worth the struggle for so little pay. And the teaching, police (insert occupation here) quality will go downhill. Sometimes being cheap doesn't save in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There's a different between a 22 year old teacher with no kids and a husband that works in the oilfield and  middle age teacher with 2 teenager at home and one at college trying to figure out how to buy groceries when the price of things  has increased 30% in the last few years and pay has increased 0-4%.

The latter tend to drive old Toyotas.
View Quote

Maybe teaching isn't the right career for a sole breadwinner raising three kids.
The same can be said for many occupations, maybe even most occupations these days.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well, that's the problem...When they offer a job, there is no one who will take it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why there's so many kids who can't go to school because there aren't enough teachers, right?

Oh, wait.....
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Unless they're physically demonstrating something they aren't teaching anything that can't be accomplished online.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's why there's so many kids who can't go to school because there aren't enough teachers, right?

Oh, wait.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, wait.....

Sure glad there is no such thing as overcrowded classrooms.
Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I love these teacher threads. It's obvious 75% f GD has NO FUCKING CLUE how schools actually work. Better to just bitch about teacher and how they should work 200 hours a week pouring concrete and running a 2 billion dollar business like all of GD does. Also, most of GD would get fired from teaching in about 3 hours.
View Quote

The five reasons GD would be fired in three hours
#5.  They would use guns and claim self defense when the protected ones would attack them because they took away their phone
#4.  They would talk about a female student and under GD pressure, they would post a picture
#3. They would be chasing tail, because of all the not guilty threads about teachers gone wild
#2.  They would openly talk about their guns
#1.  They would be posting to AR15 during school hours
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

#5.  They would use guns and claim self defense when the protected ones would attack them because they took away their phone
#4.  They would talk about a female student and under GD pressure, they would post a picture
#3. They would be chasing tail, because of all the not guilty threads about teachers gone wild
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife's friends reported a male coworker for being in a dark classroom, with a female student. When they entered the room, the two quickly moved apart and claimed the female was resting due to the stress of finals and her coach/ teacher was giving her a chance to do so while he did whatever. It had happened previously, but something about this instance made them even more unsettled than the rest.

Admin had the teachers immediately report it to CPS. Parents were surprised by CPS wanting to interview the girl, said it was no big deal, they'd even taken him on the girl's college visits that year.

CPS said no issue.

School told him cut that shit out and never be alone with another female student. Teacher/coach confronted reporting coworkers for injuring his career.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

#6 they would tell everyone in the room (a bunch old 12 year olds) they were stupid and lazy, and why didn't they just work 200 hours doing electrical work and then they wouldn't be poor. And they are stupid and lazy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#34]
This is America and nobody is forcing anyone to be a teacher.  People work shit jobs in every field for numerous reasons.  You don't like it?  Then you work your way up to better teaching jobs, relocate, take a different job, etc.  It's still a job, blanketed in nobility or not.  We don't cry about police being underpaid that can be killed every day, we don't cry about office workers that are running the rat race killing themselves sitting in a desk prison.  You don't like your job, fucking figure out another one and quit whining about it.

Note - this opinion will not win you any awards out in public with teachers.  Generally about half of them will start acting like the children they complain about, eventually resorting to screaming and thrashing about.  You may even end up with a drink thrown at you, or be put on the list of people their SO can no longer associate with.  If this is actually your goal then I highly recommend it.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

#6 they would tell everyone in the room (a bunch old 12 year olds) they were stupid and lazy, and why didn't they just work 200 hours doing electrical work and then they wouldn't be poor. And they are stupid and lazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife's school district's policy is that every student is going to college.

Every student.

Even the learning disabled, severely autistic, kids who can't break 900 on the SAT or keep a C- average, etc.

They have to counsel every student, and their parents, on how they must select classes that will get them into the best possible college for success. Parents absolutely hate it, because it's not an honest assessment of their child's abilities or chances of success, and the schools aren't helping get kids into apprenticeships or trade schools.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If teacher's are so poor, why are they mostly over weight?
View Quote
LOL. This might have been the stupidest comment I have ever read on here. You do know that carb filled products are the cheapest you can buy. Rice, flour, breads, pasta, cereals, etc. Why do you think so many poor people are so fat and malnourished? Because they buy a bunch of red meat and veggies with their ebt cards?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Oh, wait...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, wait.....

Oh, wait...

If you're not violating fire code, it's not overcrowded.
If there are too many students needing individual attention, that attention shouldn't be expected to be provided during normal class hours. Some kids are going to fail.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My wife's friends reported a male coworker for being in a dark classroom, with a female student. When they entered the room, the two quickly moved apart and claimed the female was resting due to the stress of finals and her coach/ teacher was giving her a chance to do so while he did whatever. It had happened previously, but something about this instance made them even more unsettled than the rest.

Admin had the teachers immediately report it to CPS. Parents were surprised by CPS wanting to interview the girl, said it was no big deal, they'd even taken him on the girl's college visits that year.

CPS said no issue.

School told him cut that shit out and never be alone with another female student. Teacher/coach confronted reporting coworkers for injuring his career.

Kharn
View Quote
My information is second-hand, at best, so I can't vouch for it's accuracy, although I have no reason not to trust the source.  

This was in a large high school and the story was that several male and female teachers were getting together and having orgies.  They supposedly wanted to get the principal involved, but I don't know if they ever approached him about it.  Supposedly they were talking about inviting some students and at the very least, students became aware and started discussing it, so the principle had to intervene.  I have no idea who the teachers were or how the principal handled it, but up until then, I didn't think stuff like that really happened.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
LOL. This might have been the stupidest comment I have ever read on here. You do know that carb filled products are the cheapest you can buy. Rice, flour, breads, pasta, cereals, etc. Why do you think so many poor people are so fat and malnourished? Because they buy a bunch of red meat and veggies with their ebt cards?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If teacher's are so poor, why are they mostly over weight?

Poor people the world over eat mostly carbs.
Where are the millions of fatass Chinese and Africans and Koreans?
American "poor" are not really poor. That's why they're fat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Something needs to change. My wife works 70 hours a week for 10.5 months for less than she would make at a Buc'ees stocking Beaver Nuggets.
View Quote

Teachers work 14 hour days?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

You could find money by eliminating the woke programs that have been created since George Floyd got feisty
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#42]
teachers can bitch less that would be nice.. maybe they should of looked at average pay before getting into it.  Summers off must be nice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#43]
1. Abandoning public education is a huge reason why conservatives/the right have largely failed. The government school system has direct access to the minds of the next generation. It’s god level power that we all but relinquished.

2. Teachers work a fuck ton of hours during the school year, and their salaries are spread out over 12 months. Most teachers in most areas are paid pretty fairly when you factor in benefits. Many teachers are excellent humans.

3. Teachers unions are full of grift, corruption, and ideological rot.

4. We should abolish government schools.

All of these things can be true at once.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Why don’t they work at Buc-ee’s?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why don’t they work at Buc-ee’s?  

You would have to ask them.

Why do they prefer to work for less money?  There must be a reason.  

I choose to teach because I love teaching.

I sure hope it isn’t that they lack the cognitive skills to make rational decisions.

Yeah, sure.

If teacher’s are so poor, why are they mostly over weight?

No one clamed they were poor, just underpaid. There is a difference.
If you think teachers are "mostly overweight" you are a dumbass.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You do know that teachers only get paid for 9 months of work right? They are allowed to stretch their paychecks out to 12 months if they are bad a financing and saving.

View Quote

Allowed?
No, we have no choice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What about fall break, winter break, and spring break and service days and holidays, and snow days? What about vacation time off?  I am not arguing here just curious how much total time teachers get off.  All of the above seems to add you to 4 months off and 8 months work time
View Quote

Do you get paid for weekends?
Teachers are paid for their contracted teaching days. They don't get overtime.
Spring break? Winter break? Snow days? Nope, those aren't contracted days.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That is when you can't fire a Teacher LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
That is when you can't fire a Teacher LOL

Quoted:

Tenure? Whats that?

LOL. "Tenure" isn't the same as "can't fire a teacher". LOL.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#48]
When there is a shortage of teachers then I'll think there is a teacher pay problem.  I'm not saying I don't think they should pay more, but there is more to the marketability of the job than pay.

Low expectations, no accountability for outcomes, all 1st shift with plenty of time off and relatively relaxed hours, etc.  People still line up for every opening in all but the absolute worst districts with the worst working conditions.  Willingly, knowing full well exactly what they will earn and what the ROI on their degree is.

ETA the majority of welders I employ make more than the majority of teachers in my district, yet I have 15 openings I can't fill and the school has 30+ applicants for every opening.  Again I'm not saying they should start welding. Only that we've raised welder pay scales in accordance with the scarcity of available labor.  As far as I can see schools haven't had that problem.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There is not a teacher pay problem.

The problem is that everyone has accepted the core marxist tenet of public state education.
View Quote

You are in Texas. Do you know who makes up the State Board of Education? The one you think is offering a "marxist tenet"?
The Texas SBOE has been overwhelming Republican for a half century.

Yet its largely Republicans bitching and whining about "marxist" bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Teachers work 14 hour days?
View Quote

Closer to 12, but there were months in 2020 that it was way more
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top