User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lake CDA?  i went there for many a summer in high school & college. stayed on spokane river at family friends house. wakeboarding, jet skiing & lots of good fishing was had. miss those days.
View Quote

We have a marina slip on Pend Oreille and friends who boat CDA, so kind of the best of both worlds. Quite a few of the Hollywood A-listers have bought vacation houses in Blackrock and CDA seems to get more crowded almost by the month. They do have nice toys, though.

It is freaking beautiful, no doubt. High is 85 degrees here today with 62 degree water. We took friends swimming yesterday...it's a little brisk when you first go in, but not much beats laying in the sun with a cold beer afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The Lonely Island - I'm On A Boat (Explicit Version) ft. T-Pain (Official Video)
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Ironically Boat Zone posted a video 2 hours ago with a bunch of MTI-Vs in it.

HUGE OUTBOARDS BOUNCING AROUND !! HAULOVER INLET BOATS | BOAT ZONE
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbdUXHX9vto
View Quote

Cool boats. What’s the attraction? Powerful and fast, but also bigger so you can go farther out? Spaces for sleeping? Can use for fishing? Seems to be a design they have settled on
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cool boats. What’s the attraction? Powerful and fast, but also bigger so you can go farther out? Spaces for sleeping? Can use for fishing? Seems to be a design they have settled on
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbdUXHX9vto

Once you get into the 50'+ size of them you can get to the Bahamas from Miami pretty quickly and easily and they will sleep 2 - 4 comfortably. I am more of a sailboat guy, so I would never buy one, but I would not turn down a ride or poker run in one.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Is that the boat from Heat?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

The bigger the boat the better it rides. Some of these boats even have sea keepers (gyro stabilizers) in them. They’re largely fishing and “look at me” boats (particularly in SEFL). They are also capable of quick runs to the Bahamas from here.

If waves are 15’ apart and you’re in a 25’ boat there’s only so much you can do. It will be a bad ride. A 50’ boat will be on either 2 or 3 waves at the same time, and will skip across the peaks instead of bogging down in the troughs. Freeboard (the height of the sides above the water) is a big deal for seaworthiness and these big center consoles have a ton of it. I love my 17’ whaler but anything 2’+ and she’s not happy. These big 50’ center consoles can handle 6’ to 8’ with ease.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How much does something like that cost to operate per hour?
View Quote

Figure a gallon per hour for every 10 horsepower.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Serious question.  Why are boats doing the multiple outboard thing now?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only way to get 2000+ HP with with reliability.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nowadays you could probably build a couple inboards and get that I just don't know what you would gain. Outboards have some unique advantages. I had a couple friends that got pretty good at pulling inboards out and mounting outboards. They were Honda dealers at the time and the big one was the most requested (200/225 I think). I can't remember the exact numbers but in the end the boat weighed the same or less, went faster, and got better economy/mileage whatever you call it on a boat. This was before all the hot stuff high HP rigs now these were just big fiberglass tubs.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nowadays you could probably build a couple inboards and get that I just don't know what you would gain. Outboards have some unique advantages. I had a couple friends that got pretty good at pulling inboards out and mounting outboards. They were Honda dealers at the time and the big one was the most requested (200/225 I think). I can't remember the exact numbers but in the end the boat weighed the same or less, went faster, and got better economy/mileage whatever you call it on a boat. This was before all the hot stuff high HP rigs now these were just big fiberglass tubs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some inboards out there with a pair of 632s with over 4000hp.. but they are still not as reliable 4-5 outboards. Cooling is a big issue when you aren't sucking water into the exchangers to keep the engines cool because you are airborne half the time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#15]
i read that inboards are actually more expensive that outboards. you're telling me that a similar size inboard would be easily over 1m?

must be nice to have f u money.

i dont know crap about boating, but i have never understand the appeal for outboards. im a mechanic thou, so that might have something to do with it...
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The problem with inboards is they take up space in your boat. Move to an outboard and you've just gained space for the same hull length.

This is ignoring all the reliability issues of Inboard/outboard configs with bellows and shit to break.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool? Yes. Fun? Maybe for a while. You can have a shitload of fun with a hundredth of the headache on a sane boat, even a $50k or $100k boat.

Running any large boat is expensive. Something like this...oof. even if I was loaded I would pass for something more reasonable. The two best days of buying a boat and all that.

Good for them though, whoever it is. I hope they need the ponies for all the fine tail they pick up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I was hanging on the dock in the Exumas Bahamas a few years ago and this hot looking center console dropped from their mothership and docked at the tender dock in front of me. It was clear she’d had a bumpy ride getting towed, and the crew was doing a pretty good salt removal routine. A bunch of tourists walked by as the crew were working and yelled “why do you have five engines on the back of your boat?” (as if it were a sin)  The crew on board didn’t blink and said “because we couldn’t fit six!”

I think “hold my beer” has a lot to do with the current obsession with massive center consoles with thousands of horsepower off the stern. I’m really curious what the next trend is going to be.  I’ll stick to floating condos with all the benefits of home….
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was hanging on the dock in the Exumas Bahamas a few years ago and this hot looking center console dropped from their mothership and docked at the tender dock in front of me. It was clear she’d had a bumpy ride getting towed, and the crew was doing a pretty good salt removal routine. A bunch of tourists walked by as the crew were working and yelled “why do you have five engines on the back of your boat?” (as if it were a sin)  The crew on board didn’t blink and said “because we couldn’t fix six!”

I think “hold my beer” has a lot to do with the current obsession with massive center consoles with thousands of horsepower off the stern. I’m really curious what the next trend is going to be.  I’ll stick to floating condos with all the benefits of home….
View Quote

You would know!
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Roll around Fort Lauderdale for a bit and that little guy in the OP won't even get your attention
View Quote
I stayed in Pompano Beach next to the inland waterway marina, a boat like OP went by blasting rap music, I resumed a hillbilly had won on scratch-off's.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Seriously? Over $60 grand each? Holy crap.
View Quote

I’d always heard plan on spending $100 for every HP in an outboard……I’m guessing it’s even higher now
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm getting some exposure to the boating market in my business...the Financials are off the charts when dealing with higher end boats. It's insane.

It's truely one of those things where it's just about spending money because you can. I'm not sure FU money even covers it.

I thought Porsche guys liked to spend money....whew!
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I work non-stop right now. Early 30's. But, my two visions if I ever retire would be to start a deep sea fishing and buying a boat or starting a cattle farm. I've always had huge love affair with the deep sea fishing boats
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I work non-stop right now. Early 30's. But, my two visions if I ever retire would be to start a deep sea fishing and buying a boat or starting a cattle farm. I've always had huge love affair with the deep sea fishing boats
View Quote

Your idea of retiring is starting a business in one of two fields where you work yourself to death? Your idea of retirement is “unique!”
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The bigger the boat the better it rides. Some of these boats even have sea keepers (gyro stabilizers) in them. They’re largely fishing and “look at me” boats (particularly in SEFL). They are also capable of quick runs to the Bahamas from here.

If waves are 15’ apart and you’re in a 25’ boat there’s only so much you can do. It will be a bad ride. A 50’ boat will be on either 2 or 3 waves at the same time, and will skip across the peaks instead of bogging down in the troughs. Freeboard (the height of the sides above the water) is a big deal for seaworthiness and these big center consoles have a ton of it. I love my 17’ whaler but anything 2’+ and she’s not happy. These big 50’ center consoles can handle 6’ to 8’ with ease.
View Quote

But one of the best parts of sailing a 22' is sliding down the trough and feeling the whole boat shudder when it hits!
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Bought that same boat off Wish for $4,999.97.
View Quote

It's even cheaper on Temu.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

To look cool.   Everyone can't know how much HP you have if the engines are hidden.  They are the Cigerette boats of the 80s as far as thinking they are cool.  Next market collapse with do away with them
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#28]
There are reasons I refuse to go to boat shows, nothing good can come of it
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was hanging on the dock in the Exumas Bahamas a few years ago and this hot looking center console dropped from their mothership and docked at the tender dock in front of me. It was clear she’d had a bumpy ride getting towed, and the crew was doing a pretty good salt removal routine. A bunch of tourists walked by as the crew were working and yelled “why do you have five engines on the back of your boat?” (as if it were a sin)  The crew on board didn’t blink and said “because we couldn’t fit six!”

View Quote

You da man !

BTW @BlackFox , have you transitioned the Okeechobee Waterway with any of your cool condo's ?
It's kind of a bucket list/challenge thing for me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You da man !

BTW @BlackFox , have you transitioned the Okeechobee Waterway with any of your cool condo's ?
View Quote

I do it once or twice a year.  Here's my view of the sunset approaching Lake O about six months ago.  It was just my wife and I on board that trip, which was a little sketchy.  We usually stop at Roland Martin's on the way across.  Everyone leaves their table when I spin and back up to dock.  We're at least a story taller than the restaurant, and I guess nobody has confidence I won't just take the whole place out

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Seriously? Over $60 grand each? Holy crap.
View Quote

Easily.....200-250 HP on a top tier bass boat will tip the scales at 30-35K ea....maybe more
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I do it once or twice a year.  Here's my view of the sunset approaching Lake O about six months ago.  It was just my wife and I on board that trip, which was a little sketchy.  We usually stop at Roland Martin's on the way across.  Everyone leaves their table when I spin and back up to dock.  We're at least a story taller than the restaurant, and I guess nobody has confidence I won't just take the whole place out

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4267/C82C08DC-45F7-40D3-8052-B85189C81E28-2591841.jpg

View Quote

That's awesome !
I plan on doing the trip with a pontoon boat and camping on the deck. Not quite as luxurious but it should be a memorable trip.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Soon to be seen going through Haulover inlet and throwing passengers over board.
View Quote

Yup..  
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
i read that inboards are actually more expensive that outboards. you're telling me that a similar size inboard would be easily over 1m?

must be nice to have f u money.

i dont know crap about boating, but i have never understand the appeal for outboards. im a mechanic thou, so that might have something to do with it...
View Quote

As a mechanic what's the appeal of inboards? I can't think of a single maintenance thing that would be easier with an inboard. On an outboard everything is right there and fairly easy to get to.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Timbo's getting a new boat?

Ozzy Man Reviews: Speedboat Crash

Timbo is the epitome of 87% of speed boat owners to me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

As a mechanic what's the appeal of inboards? I can't think of a single maintenance thing that would be easier with an inboard. On an outboard everything is right there and fairly easy to get to.
View Quote

Traditionally outboards were exclusively 2 stroke gas hogs and quite unreliable. That has drastically changed in the past 20 years or so. Now they are equally a PITA to work on.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Traditionally outboards were exclusively 2 stroke gas hogs and quite unreliable. That has drastically changed in the past 20 years or so. Now they are equally a PITA to work on.
View Quote
This.

They are basically a GM LSA stuffed in a plastic box sitting on a differential.  I can't imagine anything is easy to work on, or cheap.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My dream boat is a 54 Yellowfin with quad 600s. 1.6 million.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124978/54YF_jpg-2869412.JPG
View Quote

Yellowfins are fish killers.  They used to make a 34.  I was on one and we ran 45mph in 5 to 6 seas.  A neighbor had a 36 with triples.  Nice boat.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:
This.

They are basically a GM LSA stuffed in a plastic box sitting on a differential.  I can't imagine anything is easy to work on, or cheap.
View Quote

When I said easy I meant compared to crawling or cramming into the space than an inboard sits in. I understand there is nothing simple about the engines themselves.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Lordy!  I know it isn't possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if that thing doesn't leave broken water in its wake.

Cletus:  Gomer, what's wrong with that water?

Gomer:  Looks broken to me.  Don't touch it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Sitting on the deck this morning drinking my coffee and one of the Hammerhead guys motors past heading for the marina. I swear he gases that thing damn near every day, despite it having a 138 gallon gas tank.

Had to look it up. Now I understand his gas bill..."twin ilmor 6.2L 430hp (860 hp total) or twin ilmor 7.4L 480hp engines (960 hp total). I have no idea what an ilmor engine is, but it sounds a lot like an aircraft turbine. He came out of the marina with a friend in another Hammerhead yesterday and they both nailed it. I wish I'd been recording video, it was very cool.

I've got to get a telephoto lense.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
$250K + in motors alone.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sitting on the deck this morning drinking my coffee and one of the Hammerhead guys motors past heading for the marina. I swear he gases that thing damn near every day, despite it having a 138 gallon gas tank.

Had to look it up. Now I understand his gas bill..."twin ilmor 6.2L 430hp (860 hp total) or twin ilmor 7.4L 480hp engines (960 hp total). I have no idea what an ilmor engine is, but it sounds a lot like an aircraft turbine. He came out of the marina with a friend in another Hammerhead yesterday and they both nailed it. I wish I'd been recording video, it was very cool.

I've got to get a telephoto lense.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457055/DSC_0198_JPG-2872332.JPG

View Quote
Ilmore is a world famous race engine builder in the UK I think.  Like Indy and F1 level stuff. They are a storied organization that has been doing great engine stuff for a long time

There is enough FU money in boats that they opened up a marine engine division in Michigan.  They mostly use GM engines as a base.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You da man !

View Quote

If ya ever do the crossing and need a buddy boat let me know. I downsized to an 18 footer so no head galler or beds but it sips gas. I would sleep on the hook on the old boat but once my ole lady learned that snakes might come aboard at night she shitcanned the idea.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top