Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/21/2019 7:38:38 PM EDT
Americans under the age of 45 have found a novel way to rebel against their elders: They’re staying married.

New data show younger couples are approaching relationships very differently from baby boomers, who married young, divorced, remarried and so on. Generation X and especially millennials are being pickier about who they marry, tying the knot at older ages when education, careers and finances are on track. The result is a U.S. divorce rate that dropped 18 percent from 2008 to 2016, according to an analysis by University of Maryland sociology professor Philip Cohen.

Demographers already knew the divorce rate was falling, even if the average American didn’t. Their question, however, was why? And what do current trends mean for the marital prospects of today’s newlyweds?

One theory is that divorce rates are falling largely because of other demographic changes—especially an aging population. Older people are less likely to get divorced, so maybe mellowing boomers were enough to explain the trend. Cohen’s analysis of U.S. Census Bureau survey data, however, suggests something more fundamental is at work. Even when he controls for factors such as age, the divorce rate over the same period still dropped 8 percent.

The marriage rate has also fallen over the last several decades. But Cohen calculates the divorce rate as a ratio of divorces to the total number of married women. So, the divorce rate’s decline isn’t a reflection of a decline in marriages. Rather, it’s evidence that marriages today have a greater chance of lasting than marriages did ten years ago.

“The change among young people is particularly striking,” Susan Brown, a sociology professor at Bowling Green State University, said of Cohen’s results. “The characteristics of young married couples today signal a sustained decline [in divorce rates] in the coming years.”

Young people get the credit for fewer divorces because boomers have continued to divorce at unusually high rates, all the way into their 60s and 70s. From 1990 to 2015, according to Bowling Green’s National Center for Family and Marriage Research, the divorce rate doubled for people aged 55 to 64, and even tripled for Americans 65 and older. Cohen’s results suggest this trend, called “grey divorce,” may have leveled out in the past decade, but boomers are still divorcing at much higher rates than previous generations did at similar ages.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-25/millennials-are-causing-the-u-s-divorce-rate-to-plummet?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&cmpid=socialflow-facebook-business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=business
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeaaaaahhhhh no.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
That isn't the case for anyone I know. They seem to divorce in 5 years or less, most seem like 2 years.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
As a millennial, everyone in my age group who HAS gotten married, is still married.

From what I see, my generation is getting married less often, but staying married when they do. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Article from 9/2018. Must have took the OP a long time to search for positive millennial news...
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#5]
less crotch fruit, no 'need' to get married.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#6]
4 years for me. Things seem to be going alright but you never know. Most of the other people I know my age are either in a long term live in relationship with no marriage in sight or single, I only know a few others that are married and fewer that have already had a divorce
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a millennial, everyone in my age group who HAS gotten married, is still married.

From what I see, my generation is getting married less often, but staying married when they do. YMMV
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Smarty Pants out there! You cannot be DIVORCED if you were NEVER MARRIED to begin with and those weenies do not commit so this is obviously #FAKENEWS. Hahahaha.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems like the wreckage that is divorce court and mixed families is really a great thing to avoid.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
It's not that.  There is no housing inflation.  Forty years ago a couple would buy a house for 70k, and in 15 years it would be worth 150k or 200k.  The little lady goes to a lawyer and he asks her how she is going to pay for the divorce?  He has his paralegal go to Zillow and find out the appraisal.  He asks her what the balance is on the mortgage.  Bingo.  Out go the papers.  The lawyer knows the house will be sold in the divorce, and he (and his opponent) will be paid out of the proceeds. Their fees, up to the amount of equity, are guaranteed.  No dunning letters, no threats to the client to pay, etc.  Just bide your time, and it all gets paid.

Now, people are under water, or have very little equity.  The same little lady goes to the lawyer, he finds the couple has no or negative equity, and he says you gonna have to post a 10k retainer.  She goes home and figures the old man ain't so bad after all.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
What percentage are getting married, though? If you don't get married or are married for less years (getting married older) there's going to be less divorce.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
We can prevent divorces if we outlaw marriages.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Cheaper to keep her
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#15]
So much for all that free love...fucking hippies.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Lets all play which poster is a boomer!

Probably just a mixture of less people getting married with a hearty helping of "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?" syndrome.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Those that get married for the right reasons stay married.

What this doesn't tell us is the current millenial marriage rate. I would almost be willing to bet we arent getting married as much.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lets all play which poster is a boomer!

Probably just a mixture of less people getting married with a hearty helping of "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?" syndrome.
View Quote
I think its more about people getting married later.  When the boomers were getting married, they didnt know their partners were fuck-ups.  Marrying older does have some benefits, most people have either grown up or revealed their inner asshole ways.

Having kids at 35-45 is a drawback.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Haha, yeah right.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same with us. Seems correct. Mellinials and Gen Z and sonewhat Gen X (especially the tail enders) are not miserable fucks like a lot of the Boomers so they are able to get along better and stay married. Seems pretty obvious to me just from what you observe here as a microcasm.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#22]
If they're not having at least 3 children, it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeaaaaahhhhh no.
View Quote
Do you have anything more substantial to support your argument?
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]

No marriage. No divorce. Simple.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you saying millennials don't get married? lol
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#26]
More women work now so they have less incentive to divorce after 20 years, when they would get lifetime alimony if they hadn't been working.  To see if this is the case we need to wait another 20 years to see what the millennial divorce rate really is.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#27]
This is fucking stupid. The divorce rate is down because the marriage rate is down.....  People aren't getting suckered into getting married for a piece of paper. The gay marriage thing brought about civil union.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is fucking stupid. The divorce rate is down because the marriage rate is down.....  People aren't getting suckered into getting married for a piece of paper. The gay marriage thing brought about civil union.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You dont read good do you?

Quoted:
Cohen calculates the divorce rate as a ratio of divorces to the total number of married women. So, the divorce rate’s decline isn’t a reflection of a decline in marriages. Rather, it’s evidence that marriages today have a greater chance of lasting than marriages did ten years ago.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just because the article says it. Doesn't make it true hot rod.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are going to be blessing us with some research or links you have?  Or just old man yelling at a cloud shit like usual?
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That isn't the case for anyone I know. They seem to divorce in 5 years or less, most seem like 2 years.
View Quote
Just curious, what age were they when they married?
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Gee, a generation of kids from broken homes are more selective of who they marry. Who wouldn've guessed?
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Marriage rates have been dropping for years so of course divorce rates have dropped.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's not that.  There is no housing inflation.  Forty years ago a couple would buy a house for 70k, and in 15 years it would be worth 150k or 200k.  The little lady goes to a lawyer and he asks her how she is going to pay for the divorce?  He has his paralegal go to Zillow and find out the appraisal.  He asks her what the balance is on the mortgage.  Bingo.  Out go the papers.  The lawyer knows the house will be sold in the divorce, and he (and his opponent) will be paid out of the proceeds. Their fees, up to the amount of equity, are guaranteed.  No dunning letters, no threats to the client to pay, etc.  Just bide your time, and it all gets paid.

Now, people are under water, or have very little equity.  The same little lady goes to the lawyer, he finds the couple has no or negative equity, and he says you gonna have to post a 10k retainer.  She goes home and figures the old man ain't so bad after all.
View Quote
I was unrelated third party witness to this happening with two different couples - once right after the recession and once in 2015. I was blown away by the behavior change in the wives (the initiators in both cases) after they found out there was a cost associated with divorce and not a benefit. Both couples are still together and seem in it for the long haul now.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I was unrelated third party witness to this happening with two different couples - once right after the recession and once in 2015. I was blown away by the behavior change in the wives (the initiators in both cases) after they found out there was a cost associated with divorce and not a benefit. Both couples are still together and seem in it for the long haul now.
View Quote
I can buy this...Grass isn't always greener.

With that sad, the majority of the boomers I am good friends with, all regret getting divorced and felt it was a stupid decision they could have made it through.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Once again boomers showing their ignorance.

Divorce rate is calculated based upon percentage of married couples not the population as a whole, your argument is invalid.

From the article...

The marriage rate has also fallen over the last several decades. But Cohen calculates the divorce rate as a ratio of divorces to the total number of married women. So, the divorce rate’s decline isn’t a reflection of a decline in marriages. Rather, it’s evidence that marriages today have a greater chance of lasting than marriages did ten years ago.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Its incredible how many people didn't read the article, or couldn't comprehend it.  Not sure why its so hard to believe that people are being more selective about who they marry now.

Quoted:

View Quote
Its bad enough that I legitimately can't tell if this post is sarcastic or not.  Well done.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do boomers not understand rates?
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm a Gen X'er. I didn't marry until 35. I'm now 41 w/ 3 kids.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:10:55 AM EDT
[#42]
From 1990 to 2015, according to Bowling Green's National Center for Family and Marriage Research, the divorce rate doubled for people aged 55 to 64, and even tripled for Americans 65 and older. Cohen's results suggest this trend, called "grey divorce," may have leveled out in the past decade, but boomers are still divorcing at much higher rates than previous generations did at similar ages.
View Quote
Most selfish generation ever, my Dad is on his 4th marriage, he's 74 so I think this one might be his last but who knows with him.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#43]
10 years together.  5 years married.  Wife was 18 and I was 22 when we started dating.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:23:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um...

If you only compare divorces to the amount of marriages you have a ratio that isn't directly effected by the marriage rate...

For example, 5 out of 100 marriages end in divorce (made up numbers) so that is a 5% divorce rate. The marriage rate only matters if you compare divorces to the population regardless of marital status. The only way marriage rate can have an indirect effect is if the people who were more likely to divorce avoid marriage instead, which you can't really measure.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:50:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can confirm this

Of all my friends I only know two couples that divorced

Boomers would be of their 3rdmarriage by now
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Statistically, women file for divorce when the economy is growing. They do this because their husband's assets are large (more equity, large 401k balance).

Men tend to file for divorce when the economy is down. It limits their losses.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed. I can only think of a couple people out of my group of friends and acquaintances that have divorced.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Gee, a generation of kids from broken homes are more selective of who they marry. Who wouldn've guessed?
View Quote
Strauss and Howe predicted this in the early 1990s.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Cheaper to keep her
View Quote
*cheaper to rent and not own
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top