[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
P938

/thread
View Quote

This is what I carry and IMO an excellent pistol to CCW.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#3]
G19 too big?

Glock 26.  After you add up the holster along with the just over 1/8" difference in thickness over the single stacks, percentage wise you're not talking about that much difference.  Plus carry all your Glock double stack mags.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shield.
This

Shield, pretty much disappears.

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you couldn't shoot the 43 well I doubt the sheild or pps will do you any better. The sig 938 has straight pull s/a trigger so it may be what you need.
View Quote

I own both the G43 and the Walther PPS M2 and I disagree with you. The trigger on my G43 is horrendous. I wouldn't recommend it unless someone was willing to install a aftermarket trigger.

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt 1905 Pocket Auto .380
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Too much recoil for a 380.  A problem common to all blowback 380s.  Small locked-breech 9mms have about the same recoil as blowback 380s, so in that case just carry a 9mm imo.

380s like the 238, G42, and LCP II have noticeably less recoil, with the 238 being the best behaved of the bunch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bursa Thunder .380

Have one and it sucks - as do all blowback .380s.  May as well just buy a 9mm in that case.

What's wrong with it?  Mine has been a good weapon. It's reliable, incredibly low recoil, good sights, accurate -- I really do not have anything negative to say about it other than that it seems a little finicky feeding the Winchester flat nose ball ammo (maybe a 1% failure to feed rate).

Too much recoil for a 380.  A problem common to all blowback 380s.  Small locked-breech 9mms have about the same recoil as blowback 380s, so in that case just carry a 9mm imo.

380s like the 238, G42, and LCP II have noticeably less recoil, with the 238 being the best behaved of the bunch.

Wow. I had absolutely no idea. I feel like my Bersa hardly recoils at all, but it's the only .380 I have ever fired.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Easy. G43 or PPS.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my XDS 45.  I was actually surprised by it.  I was hitting a bowling pin way further than any self defense situation would be.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wow. I had absolutely no idea. I feel like my Bersa hardly recoils at all, but it's the only .380 I have ever fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bursa Thunder .380

Have one and it sucks - as do all blowback .380s.  May as well just buy a 9mm in that case.

What's wrong with it?  Mine has been a good weapon. It's reliable, incredibly low recoil, good sights, accurate -- I really do not have anything negative to say about it other than that it seems a little finicky feeding the Winchester flat nose ball ammo (maybe a 1% failure to feed rate).

Shoot it back-to-back with, say, a G42 and a G43.  Or a P238 and a P938.  Both of those 380s have less recoil, and both of those 9mms about the same.

Edit: better yet don't.  If you like the Thunder then don't.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I need a smaller ccw for when the G19/G17 won't cut it.

I don't like pocket carry so it's going to be iwb.

Attire: suit or slacks and a blazer, also will double as summer carry.

I've owned a G43 but couldn't shoot it worth a shit. But I'm open to try again.

The list so far to review is as follows:

G43
Shield 9mm
Shield 45acp
Walter PPS
XDS 9mm
XDS 45acp
Nano 9mm
Sig 290rs

What do I need to get ?
View Quote

Honestly, besides the Sig (DAO guns suck ass) I think all of those handguns will do the job well. The Nano doesn't have a slide lock and the XD's have those silly grip safeties but these are minor quibbles.

I can only speak to my experience. The Walther PPS has a shitty ass trigger reset but otherwise was a fantastic gun. I sold it to get the Shield as the Shield had both a better reset and was substantially lighter. My Shield so far has been flawless. I don't ever see myself replacing it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
P938

/thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bursa Thunder .380

I rented a Walther PPK at the range once and I was surprised that it had as much or more recoil than my 9 oz. Ruger LCP.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for the PPS. I have an M1, an M2 would work well too. The M1 is a little more customizeable with different backstraps, but the M2 is supposed to be a bit more comfortable in most every other way, and it has a normal "American" style mag release.

Both are really thin.

My PPS honestly shoots more like a G19 than anything else; you have to try one to believe it. Amazingly low recoil for such a tiny 9mm thing. If you really want to you can pocket carry it, otherwise it'll just disappear in a good AIWB rig, or any IWB rig really. You can get 6, 7 or 8 round mags (and/or just buy a bunch of 6 round mags and swap floorplates to get you 7 or 8 rounds as necessary). Yes, this only puts you at the same capacity as the other wonder thin gun...a 1911 in .45.

Another one to consider, as Jane said...Colt Officers or CCO, though if you get one with an alloy frame, I'd recommend .38 Super over .45ACP, personally....45 works, but it can be a little jumpy with some juice behind the pill, and if you want to shoot .45 +Ps...well, don't. Not unless you're one of those he-men who like .357s in their J-Frame
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ruger LC9s
View Quote

^^^ this great slim little gun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#17]

My buddy had major issues with shooting the G43 despite shooting the 23 and 34 lights out. His solution was to throw a TLR6 on it and use the laser! I tried it last night and it worked very well but

I have a 9mm Shield with the APEX kit that I adore, never had a hang up and it outshot the M&P Pro I bought the same day, all day...  I'll never sell that thing!  

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've owned a G43 but couldn't shoot it worth a shit. But I'm open to try again. ok good. now shoot the others.

G43
Shield 9mm
Shield 45acp
Walter PPS
XDS 9mm
XDS 45acp
Nano 9mm
Sig 290rs

What do I need to get ?
View Quote

of the above,  which one do you shoot the best???
then i can better assist you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I own both the G43 and the Walther PPS M2 and I disagree with you. The trigger on my G43 is horrendous. I wouldn't recommend it unless someone was willing to install a aftermarket trigger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you couldn't shoot the 43 well I doubt the sheild or pps will do you any better. The sig 938 has straight pull s/a trigger so it may be what you need.

It's trivial to add something like the Ghost Pro trigger to the G43.  It was the first thing I did when I got mine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
G19 too big?

Glock 26.  After you add up the holster along with the just over 1/8" difference in thickness over the single stacks, percentage wise you're not talking about that much difference.  Plus carry all your Glock double stack mags.
View Quote

Just in width.

Length isn't an issue, I can conceal. 17 just as well as a 19.  It's thickness I want to reduce
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've owned a G43 but couldn't shoot it worth a ####. But I'm open to try again.

G43
Shield 9mm
Shield 45acp
Walter PPS
XDS 9mm
XDS 45acp
Nano 9mm
Sig 290rs

What do I need to get ?
View Quote

G26.
Maintain same feel and controls as G17 .
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been very happy with my Kahr P9  I like the full grip on the P9 vs the shield and 43
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#23]
m&p bodyguard .380
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I agree. I was amazed when I shot a friends and had to get one. Definitely try one if you can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ruger LC9s

You would be doing yourself an injustice if you didn't look into this gun. It has the second best striker fired factory trigger only to the Shield Performance model, but the shield is a bigger gun and more expensive.

I agree. I was amazed when I shot a friends and had to get one. Definitely try one if you can.

I was really disappointed by the Ruger LC9S trigger reset. L O O O O O O NG....

Now, if Ruger incorporates the trigger from the LCP II into the LC9S II...winner!
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#25]
TT-33....Strong like ox, shoot through T-34, slim like Gulag inmate.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#27]
HK P7

Have a little class man!
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
HK P7

Have a little class man!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#29]
got both Shield and G43

get the G43 for thin and light
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
XDS or Shield
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Kimber Micro 9?
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

G43

Shield 9mm

Shield 45acp

Walter PPS

XDS 9mm

XDS 45acp

Nano 9mm

Sig 290rs
What do I need to get ?
View Quote
Sig938

held one side by side with the G43 during a purchase to solve your exact same situation for myself.

no contest; especially if your going to be belt carry anyway.

better trigger, better ergo, recoils like a full size 9mm, did i mention better trigger.

the only "downside" is SAO carry; but honestly, when practicing draws i found very quickly that very little practice you will swipe the safety as your thumb naturally slides into shooting position so quickly that i hear the "click" of the safety on the UPSTROKE out of the holster.

i do not consider the "extra weight" as a drawback in this case. this is even more so that you are prefacing with belt carry. the weight is not noticeable after the first couple of days of carry, and it its a PLUS because of the ridiculously quick follow up shot capability because of said weight reducing recoil even further than the 9mm cartridge itself (my sigs counter part is a G36 -single stack polymer 45acp-. that thing will abuse the unprepared)

mine rides iwb in a Remora. i love the little bastard.

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Walther PPS
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes

Nice!

Mines a police trade in PSP with night sights added. I bought it with the intention of carrying it but to be honest it's usually a Sig 938 or Colt Defender.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Shield 9mm or Sig P938
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:00:27 AM EDT
[#38]
FWIW I like my Sig 290rs, it's thin and doubles for pocket carry.  The dao trigger is smooth and recoil is mild. I've carried it for about 2 years and have about 700 rounds through it without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Shield 9mm.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:41:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Shot a Shield once.  Fine pistol and thin. Don't own one, but I will eventually if I happen upon a good deal.

Bought my daughter a Ruger LC9s last year. (her choice between a G43, Shield and the Ruger) Also a nice, thin pistol, but it seems to have a stouter felt recoil than a Shield. Maybe the skinny grip?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:48:22 AM EDT
[#41]

Saw it mentioned a few times but a Kahr CW9.  Basic, cheap and goes bang everytime.  Also one of the thinnest 9's I've seen.  Wife has a LC9 and BIL has a Shield and it is thinner then both.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 3:13:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

G43
Shield 9mm
Shield 45acp

Walter PPS
XDS 9mm
XDS 45acp
Nano 9mm
Sig 290rs

What do I need to get ?
View Quote

There ya go

The PPS shoots like a bigger pistol. There might still be deals to be had on the euro-paddle "classic" model. I think I paid $350 for mine...it feels like a $500+ pistol, easily.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Sig938

held one side by side with the G43 during a purchase to solve your exact same situation for myself.

better trigger, better ergo, recoils like a full size 9mm, did i mention better trigger.

the only "downside" is SAO carry; but honestly, when practicing draws i found very quickly that very little practice you will swipe the safety as your thumb naturally slides into shooting position so quickly that i hear the "click" of the safety on the UPSTROKE out of the holster.

i do not consider the "extra weight" as a drawback in this case. this is even more so that you are prefacing with belt carry. the weight is not noticeable after the first couple of days of carry, and it its a PLUS because of the ridiculously quick follow up shot capability because of said weight reducing recoil even further than the 9mm cartridge itself (my sigs counter part is a G36 -single stack polymer 45acp-. that thing will abuse the unprepared)

mine rides iwb in a Remora. i love the little bastard.http://i.imgur.com/sNoAodH.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

G43

Shield 9mm

Shield 45acp

Walter PPS

XDS 9mm

XDS 45acp

Nano 9mm

Sig 290rs

What do I need to get ?
Sig938

mine rides iwb in a Remora. i love the little bastard.http://i.imgur.com/sNoAodH.jpg

Thanks for the post! I think I might pick up its .380 brother and see how it feels compared to the G42.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
  Thanks for the post! I think I might pick up its .380 brother and see how it feels compared to the G42.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

G43

Shield 9mm

Shield 45acp

Walter PPS

XDS 9mm

XDS 45acp

Nano 9mm

Sig 290rs

What do I need to get ?
Sig938

my wife has the the 238. and i have shot it.

to put it bluntly, its the best subcompact 380 on the market. bar none. imho

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#45]
I made this same decision 10+ years ago before there were as many guns in this category.  I have been carrying a G23 for a long time and wanted something smaller and thinner for summertime carry.  After some research and looking, I eventually found a Kahr K9 at a great price.  It is over 10 years later and I have no thoughts of changing.  While the weight between the Kahr and the Glock doesn't feel much different, the Kahr being so much smaller and lighter makes it very easy to carry.  Being all metal, shooting it is a pleasure and I am always pleasantly surprised at how well I shoot this gun.  I  guess one of the main problems with going this route would be finding a K9 as it doesn't seem like a gun one sees around very much these days.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#46]
PPS M2. Just bought one a couple months ago. First time at the range with it i was hitting clay pigeons at 25 yards. Let just i was amazed as was the guy i was shooting with. That was using wally perfecta 9. I have owned g26 g33 shield cw9. Pps m2 is a keeper.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Colt 1903/1908
Doesn't get much thinner.
View Quote

Classic. I like it. (Have one and it very thin, and just plain fits the hand)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top