BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I like how everyone thinks that a car with terrible handling characteristics makes it a good car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Porsche has always kneecapped the Cayman/Boxster so the 911 would remain King.  The mid engine design is more balanced, and is a better sports car design.  If they put a bigger engine in the Cayman it would outperform the 911.  But because they have never done that, and will never do that, the 911 is arguably "better".  However, the rear engine design is flawed in a high performance sports car, especially for novice driver's who may panic and hit the brakes in high speed turns and throw the 911 into a spin.

But they are both great cars, it's subjective. Personally, I'd rather have an air cooled 911 Targa.

Initially they hamstrung the Cayman but the GTS 4.0 and GT4 changed that. I’m going to disagree about the rear engine design being flawed and point back to the fact the 911 is the winningest sports car of all time and has won across far more racing disciplines than anything else. There are some real advantages to the rear engine layout, braking and traction out of corners for example. You are right about the danger with a novice behind the wheel but a good driver can use that pendulum effect to his advantage

Here’s a great video of a really good driver showing you how to drive a 911.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q_YDSgRa1U

I like how everyone thinks that a car with terrible handling characteristics makes it a good car.

I like how you think the most prolific sports car of all time that’s been winning all kinds of races for almost 60 years has “terrible handling characteristics”.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I like how you think the most prolific sports car of all time that’s been winning all kinds of races for almost 60 years has “terrible handling characteristics”.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Porsche has always kneecapped the Cayman/Boxster so the 911 would remain King.  The mid engine design is more balanced, and is a better sports car design.  If they put a bigger engine in the Cayman it would outperform the 911.  But because they have never done that, and will never do that, the 911 is arguably "better".  However, the rear engine design is flawed in a high performance sports car, especially for novice driver's who may panic and hit the brakes in high speed turns and throw the 911 into a spin.

But they are both great cars, it's subjective. Personally, I'd rather have an air cooled 911 Targa.

Initially they hamstrung the Cayman but the GTS 4.0 and GT4 changed that. I’m going to disagree about the rear engine design being flawed and point back to the fact the 911 is the winningest sports car of all time and has won across far more racing disciplines than anything else. There are some real advantages to the rear engine layout, braking and traction out of corners for example. You are right about the danger with a novice behind the wheel but a good driver can use that pendulum effect to his advantage

it does...I never said it wasn't fast...but it's handling characteristics are terrible.

For example, a GT-R is probably the easiest car to drive fast as fuck on a track without being an actual real race car driver. Does what it's supposed to and doesn't try to kill you.

The same can not be said for the 911.

And if the 911 was that great of a car, they would be winning NASCAR!!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My gayman spec I'm considering. Less gay since it's manual.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRGX6182
View Quote

I'd want to see that green metallic in person before ordering. But the blue metallic looks nice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'd want to see that green metallic in person before ordering. But the blue metallic looks nice.
View Quote

Yeah of course I'll see as much as I can first. It's between this and the blue. I've had a lot of blue cars.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm currently considering a cayman or boxster for my next car.  I'd prefer the older flat 6 to the new turbo 4, but I need to test drive both to see if the 4 is as bad as I think it is.

It could only be SO bad.

911/etc is out of my price range, since I'm a humble civil servant/poor.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah of course I'll see as much as I can first. It's between this and the blue. I've had a lot of blue cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the lead time on build to order?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hoping to find out tomorrow. My guy thinks they have a slot for GTS. If not, I'll get on the list and wait.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hoping to find out tomorrow. My guy thinks they have a slot for GTS. If not, I'll get on the list and wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You picked a good one. GTS! Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

it does...I never said it wasn't fast...but it's handling characteristics are terrible.

For example, a GT-R is probably the easiest car to drive fast as fuck on a track without being an actual real race car driver. Does what it's supposed to and doesn't try to kill you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it had terrible handling it wouldn’t be fast. A 992 GT3 mops the floor with a GTR and has less HP, must make up for it with terrible handling.

The whole “trying to kill you” “widow maker” thing has been a myth since the late 60’s when they lengthened the wheelbase.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quit fucking around and just get an AMG SL

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have been club racing 911's on and off for the last 30 years. No way in hell I could come close to my own lap times driving something else.
Porsche has won more races with the 911 than any other car manufacturer PERIOD.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You picked a good one. GTS! Good luck!
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:30:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I submit to you that you CANNOT have your opinion about 911s and at the same time hate the 911.  It is logically inconsistent.  I am guessing the reason you do not want to borrow my 911 for a day is that you fear that you would realize how superior the PDK is!  

The Porsche engineers who design the 911 to be the best sports/racing car in the world have concluded that the PDK is a superior transmission and that it makes the 911 better, and essentially consider the manual transmission to be obsolete.

Literally the ONLY reason they still offer the manual transmission in the 911 lineup is that they are happy to overcharge nostalgia-driven customers for an inferior car.  If enough people wanted to overpay for an air-cooled 911 that couldn't go faster than 100 mph, Porsche would probably build it, but that wouldn't mean its a better 911 - it would just mean that Porsche likes making money.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Manual or PDK? I'm a diehard manual guy, but I hear PDK is amazing.

The only real reason manual was "better" in a sporty car in the past was because it allowed for faster shifting and more control than an automatic.

The PDK shifts faster than a manual and it allows for more control.  It is not an automatic - it is an improved manual, which gives you the option of letting the computer control it.

So if you are all about nostalgia, and churn your own butter, and wish cars still had hand crank starters ... then by all means get a manual.  But if you are getting a Porsche because you want to drive fast and have as much control over your driving experience as possible, then the choice should definitely be PDK.

This is Eurofag crap and you know it.

I will get some better proganda than that hold on

I submit to you that you CANNOT have your opinion about 911s and at the same time hate the 911.  It is logically inconsistent.  I am guessing the reason you do not want to borrow my 911 for a day is that you fear that you would realize how superior the PDK is!  

The Porsche engineers who design the 911 to be the best sports/racing car in the world have concluded that the PDK is a superior transmission and that it makes the 911 better, and essentially consider the manual transmission to be obsolete.

Literally the ONLY reason they still offer the manual transmission in the 911 lineup is that they are happy to overcharge nostalgia-driven customers for an inferior car.  If enough people wanted to overpay for an air-cooled 911 that couldn't go faster than 100 mph, Porsche would probably build it, but that wouldn't mean its a better 911 - it would just mean that Porsche likes making money.  

They did but called it the 912.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If enough people wanted to overpay for an air-cooled 911 that couldn't go faster than 100 mph, Porsche would probably build it,  
View Quote

Singer is rebuilding them for 500K, with a long waiting list.
Attachment Attached File

Also an air cooled 98 turbo S is twice as fast as 100MPH. Factory publishes 184mph but I had one up to 200 in stock form.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:27:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd just get a 356 , 2.4 liter , vvt on pushrods , 5-speed subaru transaxle , carb cheater . Keep it simple and light .
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Coming from a 392 Charger......They weigh too much & all that massive power SUCKS getting to the ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Wanna real muscle car? Get a Dodge SRT Challenger  -  a Hellcat or a 392.

Coming from a 392 Charger......They weigh too much & all that massive power SUCKS getting to the ground.

To some extent that’s true … My buddy’s 2020 Charger Hellcat weighed 4500+lbs. But that’s a 4-dr sedan.

REAL muscle cars were, historically, 2-dr coupes. In fact during the first muscle car era (circa ‘68-‘73) a Dodge Charger was a 2-dr ride.

As far as weight per se, it’s actually a benefit. When I hit 151mph in my Challenger Hellcat, all its 4400lbs of weight kept it glued to the road against the downforce.

Another buddy’s got a cute little Lotus. That leaf would’ve gone airborne at that speed or even at much less speed if any sudden cross-wind had hit it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Cayman vs 911
Camaro vs Corvette
Challenger vs Viper
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's just lazy trolling.  We all know you can do better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just lazy trolling.  We all know you can do better.

seriously though speaking of the Porsche tax

Is it me or the parts more expensive just to be more expsnvie?

I was looking at clutches for 996 and 991s, and they seemed expensive for somthing that isn't anything special.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
PDK.

Trust. Me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
PDK.

Trust. Me.
View Quote
I'm going to have to drive both. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

To some extent that’s true … My buddy’s 2020 Charger Hellcat weighed 4500+lbs. But that’s a 4-dr sedan.

REAL muscle cars were, historically, 2-dr coupes. In fact during the first muscle car era (circa ‘68-‘73) a Dodge Charger was a 2-dr ride.

As far as weight per se, it’s actually a benefit. When I hit 151mph in my Challenger Hellcat, all its 4400lbs of weight kept it glued to the road against the downforce.

Another buddy’s got a cute little Lotus. That leaf would’ve gone airborne at that speed or even at much less speed if any sudden cross-wind had hit it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wanna real muscle car? Get a Dodge SRT Challenger  -  a Hellcat or a 392.

No it isn’t. Weight is the enemy of performance.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Muscle cars were designed to be fast in a straight line, Porsches are designed to be fast everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#26]
The 911 has grown too large. The cayman is closer to the size a 911 should be.

The last 911 I owned was an SC. I had the urge to build it in to a safari tribute. It was too nice of a car for that so I sold it. I'm still planning on buying a chassis better suited for the conversion. The air cooled 911 market being what it is, I haven't found anything.

Porsche introduced the Cayman. I bought one of those and still have it. That makes my answer to your question; short term is Cayman, long term its "get both." Just not a new 911, the car doesn't work for me. If you were only going to have one fun car or had track plans I can see chasing the new GT cars, 911 or Cayman. I have more than one fun car and my interests and priorities are likely different than most. I also like mid engine cars. If only the C8 was available with 3 pedals...
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I cross-shopped the 911 and Cayman in 2014. I also did several PSDS courses so I got to learn how to race the Porsche lineup from Porsche professionals. My take:

• The Cayman and 911 are different, not higher/lower or better/worse. Drive both, pick what you like.

• People who parrot the "Cayman is a better track car" are right about autocross but wrong about real racing. The 911's rear engine dynamics make speed easier if you know what you're doing.

• Manual for the road, PDK for the track.

• Porsche makes their money on options and high trim levels, but base models truly are all you need. No one can stick to that, though. I sure didn't.

• 911s and Caymans are both normal cars for 90%+ of their use. They only make driving special if you have roads that allow it.

View Quote

Even with the 4 cyl base 718 engine?

I'm in the market and looking at 718s and F-types. I think I'd have to get the 6 cyl 718 though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only real reason manual was "better" in a sporty car in the past was because it allowed for faster shifting and more control than an automatic.

The PDK shifts faster than a manual and it allows for more control.  It is not an automatic - it is an improved manual, which gives you the option of letting the computer control it.

So if you are all about nostalgia, and churn your own butter, and wish cars still had hand crank starters ... then by all means get a manual.  But if you are getting a Porsche because you want to drive fast and have as much control over your driving experience as possible, then the choice should definitely be PDK.

This is Eurofag crap and you know it.

I will get some better proganda than that hold on

A local car collector here has a number of Porsches and other makes. . . 54 Speedster, ‘89 Speedster, Ford GT, Ferrari, etc.  His favorite car is the 912 and that’s the one he takes out the most on weekend drives.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A local car collector here has a number of Porsches and other makes. . . 54 Speedster, ‘89 Speedster, Ford GT, Ferrari, etc.  His favorite car is the 912 and that’s the one he takes out the most on weekend drives.
View Quote

I posted yesterday(?) in the "Forgotten cars from the 70s/80s" thread about a pristine white 912 that was sitting outside the marina restaurant a few days ago. I wasn't familiar with that model, had to go home and look it up.

Several articles used the word "cult" in talking about the current collectors, and I guess prices are starting to reflect.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I posted yesterday(?) in the "Forgotten cars from the 70s/80s" thread about a pristine white 912 that was sitting outside the marina restaurant a few days ago. I wasn't familiar with that model, had to go home and look it up.

Several articles used the word "cult" in talking about the current collectors, and I guess prices are starting to reflect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a couple die hard 912 guys locally.

I think the pricing is case of rising tides lifting all ships combined with the fact the fate of just about every 912 for decades was to be parted out to keep 911s on the road or have 6cyl engines dropped in the back.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think the pricing is case of rising tides lifting all ships combined with the fact the fate of just about every 912 for decades was to be parted out to keep 911s on the road or have 6cyl engines dropped in the back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the slight derail.  These cars were super cheap to buy 20 years ago.  

I would love a long hood. . .There’s definitely more room in the back of his 912 with two less cylinders:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

So much bullshit I can’t digest it all.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I would love a long hood. . .There’s definitely more room in the back of his 912 with two less cylinders:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309803/IMG_2536_jpeg-2938315.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309803/IMG_2536_jpeg-2938315.JPG

It’s still by far the cheapest path to a short wheelbase 911. I’d be that asshole and put a 6cyl in the back though( unless I was rich then I’d go for a Polo 4cyl)

To stay on topic the 4cyl 718 is the natural successor to the 912.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That is a good point.  The modern 911 is huge compared to old-school models.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 911 has grown too large. The cayman is closer to the size a 911 should be.

That is a good point.  The modern 911 is huge compared to old-school models.

All cars are too big now. The price you pay for safety and technology.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

not with 305 Michelin Pilot sports.  My 392 puts it down pretty well.

I think both cars are cool, not the same things though.  Agree one is a muscle car and the other is a sports car.  Both have their place in my heart.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think both cars are cool, not the same things though.  Agree one is a muscle car and the other is a sports car.  Both have their place in my heart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a reason no super cars or race cars use a front engine rear drive layout anymore. Even GM saw the light with the C8 Corvette and rumor has it the Mustang may go mid engine and that’s a lowly secretary’s car.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#38]
another thing I really don't understand is why air cooled 911 engines are so expensive to make big power?

the only thing I can see is taking the heat out the engine, and if that's the biggest issue...fuck...just add giant oil coolers and extra oil capacity.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#39]
For the experts here: if I wanted a 911 to buy used for a short work commute (approx 10 miles each way) and weekends- what years to look for and not spend a ton. I have a great independent shop for German car maintenance. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For the experts here: if I wanted a 911 to buy used for a short work commute (approx 10 miles each way) and weekends- what years to look for and not spend a ton. I have a great independent shop for German car maintenance. Thanks.
View Quote

I’m far from an expert but were you looking for an air cooled 911?

I’d look for a ‘78-‘83 911SC Coupe with a 3.0L and 915 transmission that has had the head studs replaced.  A step up would be ‘84-‘86 3.2L Carrera.  The ‘86 was the last year of the 915 transmission.  For an impact bumper G-body with the G50 transmission, that’d be ‘87-‘89 and those bring a premium. G50’s were used for the 964 and 993 but those have become ridiculously expensive for clean examples.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#41]
There is no question that the 911 is an exceptional car but they look like a kid's toy.  The front end especially is god awful.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There is a reason no super cars or race cars use a front engine rear drive layout anymore. Even GM saw the light with the C8 Corvette and rumor has it the Mustang may go mid engine and that’s a lowly secretary’s car.
View Quote

agree, and I've been window shopping Caymans.  I still love driving my boat though.

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
There is no question that the 911 is an exceptional car but they look like a kid's toy.  The front end especially is god awful.
View Quote

Hmmmm, I’m not sure what you mean by a god awful front end.  Through ‘89, they used bushings and torsion bars ran through the control arms.  A common upgrade was Turbo tie rods which eliminated some of the play.  The brakes were always fantastic.  Driving a well sorted, torsion bar equipped 911 is a lot of fun.  Elephant Racing makes many aftermarket suspension upgrades if that’s what you’re after. Coilovers were introduced in the 964 in ‘90 which was a departure in what they had been using for decades.

A friend of mine is restomodding a ‘72 from the ground up.  It’ll have a 3.6L motor with 915 trans.  He’s putting KW Suspension coilovers in.  That car is going to be incredible when it’s done.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Guentherworks, ahhhh yes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#46]
How much do you Porsche aficionado’s earn?      

Arfcom has a way of making me feel poor.    
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I think my air-cooled is pretty cool. If I were to buy a late model today, given a budget, it would be a 718 GTS 4.0 or (my first choice) 992 911T w/manual.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Midcap thinks Fat chicks have good handling characteristics.. sooo, I’m not sure his opinion on “handling characteristics” has a lot of validity?    
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah, but also You think Fat chicks have good handling characteristics.. sooo, I’m not sure your opinion on “handling characteristics” has a lot of validity?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but also You think Fat chicks have good handling characteristics.. sooo, I’m not sure your opinion on “handling characteristics” has a lot of validity?    

I don’t think a Midcap sized woman could fit in a 911 to be perfectly honest.  It’s a moot point.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top