BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, but also You think Fat chicks have good handling characteristics.. sooo, I’m not sure your opinion on “handling characteristics” has a lot of validity?    
View Quote

Yeah, wrong guy, you're thinking of Midcap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
another thing I really don't understand is why air cooled 911 engines are so expensive to make big power?

the only thing I can see is taking the heat out the engine, and if that's the biggest issue...fuck...just add giant oil coolers and extra oil capacity.
View Quote

NA Air cooled HP is the most expensive horsepower there is.

My little 3 liter already takes 12+ qts of oil and has two oil coolers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There is no question that the 911 is an exceptional car but they look like a kid's toy.  The front end especially is god awful.
View Quote

The front is beautiful without a big hole sucking air.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All cars are too big now. The price you pay for safety and technology.  

https://www.topgear.com/sites/default/files/news-listicle/image/2015/09/p13_0019_a4_rgb.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 911 has grown too large. The cayman is closer to the size a 911 should be.

That is a good point.  The modern 911 is huge compared to old-school models.

https://www.topgear.com/sites/default/files/news-listicle/image/2015/09/p13_0019_a4_rgb.jpg

Attachment Attached File

This is what I wanted back in the 80s:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

However as mentioned, the 911 has turned more into a touring car vs. a sports car.

Attachment Attached File

So, I got a 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 instead of the 911.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For the experts here: if I wanted a 911 to buy used for a short work commute (approx 10 miles each way) and weekends- what years to look for and not spend a ton. I have a great independent shop for German car maintenance. Thanks.
View Quote

For an air cooled anything from 1978 to 1986 for a water cooled I’d go with a 1999-2004 for the best value.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Order placed
View Quote

@LotBoy

Details?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 911 has grown too large. The cayman is closer to the size a 911 should be.

That is a good point.  The modern 911 is huge compared to old-school models.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64530/IMG_4920_jpeg-2938464.JPG

This is what I wanted back in the 80s:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64530/IMG_3527_jpeg-2938468.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64530/IMG_3526_jpeg-2938465.JPG

However as mentioned, the 911 has turned more into a touring car vs. a sports car.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64530/IMG_3851_jpeg-2938469.JPG

So, I got a 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 instead of the 911.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64530/NEW_8354_jpeg-2938473.JPG

I love your Cayman and think the 4.0 will go down as one of the all time great sports cars. Some day you’ll want to scratch that air cooled itch and IMO the SC is a great way to do it.

That 2750lb number seems way too high for the SC. Mine is just over 2400 and I haven’t done much to add lightness.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Manual or PDK? ETA I see manual in the chart, I take it to mean you got a manual? Would you mind discussing why you chose what you did?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Nice. I think the GTS is the right place to be with the Cayman. The flat 6 is just special.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How much do you Porsche aficionado’s earn?      

Arfcom has a way of making me feel poor.    
View Quote

I believe there is a 5% of net worth rule, $3M in NW means you get to spend $150K on a car.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m hands down the poorest person in my Porsche club. I’m also into my 911 for just over $30k after 7 years so there’s that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’m hands down the poorest person in my Porsche club.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I believe there is a 5% of net worth rule, $3M in NW means you get to spend $150K on a car.
View Quote

Pro tip: if you're single you can bump that up to 50%
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pro tip: if you're single you can bump that up to 50%
View Quote

When you are a young single guy some things are worth eating soup beans and selling plasma for. Most young guys waste their money on the wrong thing that starts with the letter P.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When you are a young single guy some things are worth eating soup beans and selling plasma for. Most young guys waste their money on the wrong thing that starts with the letter P.
View Quote

Yup! Luckily I wasn't so foolish.

Spent all mine on neat guns, but it's time to waste money on a neat car.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll accept Pistols as a correct answer to the question of, "What thing that starts with the letter P should I spend my money on?'
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don’t think a Midcap sized woman could fit in a 911 to be perfectly honest.  It’s a moot point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Porsche has always kneecapped the Cayman/Boxster so the 911 would remain King.  The mid engine design is more balanced, and is a better sports car design.  If they put a bigger engine in the Cayman it would outperform the 911.  But because they have never done that, and will never do that, the 911 is arguably "better".  However, the rear engine design is flawed in a high performance sports car, especially for novice driver's who may panic and hit the brakes in high speed turns and throw the 911 into a spin.

But they are both great cars, it's subjective. Personally, I'd rather have an air cooled 911 Targa.

Initially they hamstrung the Cayman but the GTS 4.0 and GT4 changed that. I’m going to disagree about the rear engine design being flawed and point back to the fact the 911 is the winningest sports car of all time and has won across far more racing disciplines than anything else. There are some real advantages to the rear engine layout, braking and traction out of corners for example. You are right about the danger with a novice behind the wheel but a good driver can use that pendulum effect to his advantage

Here’s a great video of a really good driver showing you how to drive a 911.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q_YDSgRa1U

I like how everyone thinks that a car with terrible handling characteristics makes it a good car.

I like how you think the most prolific sports car of all time that’s been winning all kinds of races for almost 60 years has “terrible handling characteristics”.

Yeah, but also You think Fat chicks have good handling characteristics.. sooo, I’m not sure your opinion on “handling characteristics” has a lot of validity?    

I don’t think a Midcap sized woman could fit in a 911 to be perfectly honest.  It’s a moot point.

911...yes...coxster and boxster...no
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
another thing I really don't understand is why air cooled 911 engines are so expensive to make big power?

the only thing I can see is taking the heat out the engine, and if that's the biggest issue...fuck...just add giant oil coolers and extra oil capacity.

but why?

makes no sense to me...just keep adding coolers...the part of the engine that is going to have the most heat applied to it is going to be the pistons...and there are a myriad of coatings and material tech already out there. Which goes back to keeping the oil cool, IMO it's just a bunch of mark up they charge because they can. It's not like the material sciences are adding that much more money to the build.

Now, if you are running somthing like a inconel 3d printed exhasut manifold...yeah that's pricey.

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

but why?

makes no sense to me...just keep adding coolers...the part of the engine that is going to have the most heat applied to it is going to be the pistons...and there are a myriad of coatings and material tech already out there. Which goes back to keeping the oil cool, IMO it's just a bunch of mark up they charge because they can. It's not like the material sciences are adding that much more money to the build.

Now, if you are running somthing like a inconel 3d printed exhasut manifold...yeah that's pricey.

View Quote

No, it's insane markup on an otherwise very simple engine. For example, I want to go from 3.0 to 3.2 which is commonly referred to as a "short stroke 3.2", the pistons/cylinders are over $6k, then new cams would be a good idea and those are $1500-2000k then upgrading the fuel injection from CIS to ITBs are fucking crazy money, hell, PMO carbs are $6k and that doesn't including upgrading the fuel lines/pump then tuning. I'm a little bitter because to build the 3.2 SS I want is around $20-22k in parts and I'll go from 180hp to maybe 250hp. It'll rip though, they're very light and geared kinda short. Oh, and that's only doing the top end, not even splitting the case.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lolz, somehow I quoted the guy that was already roasting him.      Fixed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, it's insane markup on an otherwise very simple engine. For example, I want to go from 3.0 to 3.2 which is commonly referred to as a "short stroke 3.2", the pistons/cylinders are over $6k, then new cams would be a good idea and those are $1500-2000k then upgrading the fuel injection from CIS to ITBs are fucking crazy money, hell, PMO carbs are $6k and that doesn't including upgrading the fuel lines/pump then tuning. I'm a little bitter because to build the 3.2 SS I want is around $20-22k in parts and I'll go from 180hp to maybe 250hp. It'll rip though, they're very light and geared kinda short. Oh, and that's only doing the top end, not even splitting the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but why?

that literally makes no sense on those prices.

you can get fully custom pistons from carillo for waaaaaaaaaaay less.

as far as cams....there are a myriad of companies than can custom make cams.

as far as the carbs....that's even more retarded....you can get a EFI controller for like $400 that will control all 6 injectors and you would just need a fuel rail and a tach signal after that then tune the engine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What it I’m providing cars for the whole family?    Would that buck fiddy, need to be divided by 4?        Or, do I get $150k for myself, and 10-20k for the others?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Why Matt's New 565HP, Naturally-Aspirated 4.5L DeMan 718 Spyder is the Perfect Sports Car

Custom 4.5 L engine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Cayman and  911 are close, but Cayman is more Miata like and 911 more Sedan DeVille like.

Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, the 911 has the roomiest cabin of the cars mentioned here.  R8…..nope.  GTR….gonna be tight.  Cayman……nope.  Ferrari or Lambo…….nope.  McLaren….uh no.  C8…..gonna be tight.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Cayman and  911 are close, but Cayman is more Miata like and 911 more Sedan DeVille like.

Am I wrong?
View Quote

There is nothing Miata like about a Cayman or Boxster and there is no sedan deville that will do what a 911 does.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For the experts here: if I wanted a 911 to buy used for a short work commute (approx 10 miles each way) and weekends- what years to look for and not spend a ton. I have a great independent shop for German car maintenance. Thanks.
View Quote

I think limiting a Porsche to 20 miles a day would be a terrible idea. They need to be driven and driven hard once warmed up. 10 miles each way won’t allow for that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm going to pick up one of these this evening. Who wants to guess which?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I’m on my third 911 4S AWD as a daily when not hauling all the kids.  Cayman has a great use case as a dedicated track fun car
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

as far as the carbs....that's even more retarded....you can get a EFI controller for like $400 that will control all 6 injectors and you would just need a fuel rail and a tach signal after that then tune the engine.
View Quote

It's pistons AND cylinders, only two options for carbs PMO or used Webers, and Porsche cams are expensive, possible to get the stock cams reground but not sure. Also, the EFI kit for an old 911 are big bucks, it's not the controller but the manifolds and wiring, etc. I agree though, way overpriced. Hell, I contacted a guy about rebuilding my heads for twin plugs and it was around $4k, but that's a complete rebuild with replacing exhaust valves/springs and heli-coiling everything due to age and that just what happens on air cooled engines. It's ridiculous, luckily my engine is in great shape and doesn't need anything.

Now I'm getting angry.

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is what my choice will be.

981 Cayman GTS (used 2014-2016)

718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (new 2024)

Any comments? Recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Get the last year for an ice Caymen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Manual or PDK? ETA I see manual in the chart, I take it to mean you got a manual? Would you mind discussing why you chose what you did?
View Quote

Of course I went manual.   Would have been blasphemy to do otherwise in light of what the Cayman is soon to become.

Same thought with the leather interior.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Of course I went manual.   Would have been blasphemy to do otherwise in light of what the Cayman is soon to become.

Same thought with the leather interior.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64530/IMG_2533_jpeg-2938678.JPG
View Quote

Ah, like BMW M, they must be killing off ICE and manuals.

Enjoy it in good health!

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Second gen MR2 with ez30 6 and transaxle wouldn't be bad
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’m on my third 911 4S AWD as a daily when not hauling all the kids.  Cayman has a great use case as a dedicated track fun car
View Quote

I use mine as a camper:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you can get an allocation and spec it how you want I would do that.   Only suggestion would be not to do any crazy colors or options.    

Otherwise watch for the people that don’t have a garage for winter selling theirs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If you can get an allocation and spec it how you want I would do that.   Only suggestion would be not to do any crazy colors or options.    

Otherwise watch for the people that don’t have a garage for winter selling theirs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my first rough cut. Will have to refine it with the wife. She's all in!

https://configurator.porsche.com/en-US/model/982160?options=030.085.121.153.196.1G8.220.340.342.439.444.446.454.480.482.534.567.573.594.607.638.657.714.810.970.9VK.9WT.BM.EKG.I8L.M1R.P07.QR5.U2.UI2.UX7.XAT.XEW.XHW.XLM.XLW.XXP.Z1S#section-summary
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

but why?

View Quote

Emissions regulations is another reason they run hot. Also, there really isn’t any extra room to mount additional oil coolers.  You’d have to get really creative. The SC’s have a “trombone” in the forward section of the passenger wheel well.   The 3.2 Carreras have a finned oil cooler there which is right behind the passenger side headlight.  Starting in ‘87 for the 3.2’s, they had an electric fan that helped pull the air through the oil cooler.

To make cooling issues worse, one of the two factory AC condensers is located just above the motor. . . The other is located down low just behind the front valance. There’s over 20 feet of AC hoses.

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's pistons AND cylinders, only two options for carbs PMO or used Webers, and Porsche cams are expensive, possible to get the stock cams reground but not sure. Also, the EFI kit for an old 911 are big bucks, it's not the controller but the manifolds and wiring, etc. I agree though, way overpriced. Hell, I contacted a guy about rebuilding my heads for twin plugs and it was around $4k, but that's a complete rebuild with replacing exhaust valves/springs and heli-coiling everything due to age and that just what happens on air cooled engines. It's ridiculous, luckily my engine is in great shape and doesn't need anything.

Now I'm getting angry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I'm getting angry.

It's all basic machine work man...those guys are just ass raping everyone because they can

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Emissions regulations is another reason they run hot. Also, there really isn’t any extra room to mount additional oil coolers.  You’d have to get really creative. The SC’s have a “trombone” in the forward section of the passenger wheel well.   The 3.2 Carreras have a finned oil cooler there which is right behind the passenger side headlight.  Starting in ‘87 for the 3.2’s, they had an electric fan that helped pull the air through the oil cooler.

To make cooling issues worse, one of the two factory AC condensers is located just above the motor. . . The other is located down low just behind the front valance. There’s over 20 feet of AC hoses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but why?

here is the rear of an '84

You could effectively mount an oil cooler to those studs with a fan.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's all basic machine work man...those guys are just ass raping everyone because they can

View Quote

I don't disagree with you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know those feels man
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#50]
At 6'4 " both are hero cars. The Cayman is the true sportsman's car, the 911is pure sex! I've experienced similar in a Mercedes 500 and a  Maserati Spyder, the Maserati was faster,  the Mercedes was smoother and more controlled.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top