BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 1:32:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is what has me asking the question.  As purpose driven as my gun purchases usually are, and this one would fill the most important niche of home defense, it's so hard for me to consider putting $1.6k into a rifle that shoots 3 MOA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The bull pup would seem better for indoor use, given the shorter OAL and better center of gravity.

That is what has me asking the question.  As purpose driven as my gun purchases usually are, and this one would fill the most important niche of home defense, it's so hard for me to consider putting $1.6k into a rifle that shoots 3 MOA.

Do you need 3MOA for home defense?

I would argue, you do not.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 5:35:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Marines were clearing rooms in Fallujah with 20" M16A4s.

Not ideal, for sure, but a 16" AR is just fine for HD.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 5:39:52 AM EDT
[#4]
chose the one you are trained on the best. duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

My cqb experience, I used an m4.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Tavors are junk for CQB bro. Deal with it.

Also have junk accuracy.

Also are heavy as shit.

Also are expensive.

Not sure what they do well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arm fatigue!  Train an AR one handed on a target, then try a Tavor.  The AR is not even in the same league.

You are right, its not in the same league, Tavor is peewee, AR is NFL.

I shoot ARs one handed all the time, heck my wife can shoot them one handed.

I have handled Tavors plenty, they are gross boat anchors dude. I would rather clear rooms with an M16A4 than one of those clunky shitpiles.

Also have junk accuracy.

Also are heavy as shit.

Also are expensive.

Pfffft. Bro, what would you, other military members on this forum, special forces, and SWAT across the world know about door kicking or clearing rooms. Obviously you must be wrong, because the Australian army uses bullpups and they must know a lot about war and CQB.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have always been an ar guy, got quite a few but then I picked up a Tavor.  In my opinion it is a great rifle that excels in certain areas. Is it perfect? No, but then again nothing is. It has replaced my ar for a go to around the house rifle.  The speed and ease in manipulating it indoors and inside vehicles far exceeds that of a standard ar.  I believe it is  more accurate than most in this thread believe probably around 1.5 moa if the shooter does his job. However,  the Tavor was never intended as a long range precision rifle. For the ranges it was designed for it is more then accurate enough,  I personally cannot imagine a self defense scenario where you would take a shot exceeding 100 yards. (Not to say that the Tavor is not capable of that, I would just personally use something else for shots over 100 yards)
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Side eject bullpups  are WORSE indoors than an AR.

Most others are too due to set up.

You guys advocating them need to learn some modern cqb stuff.
View Quote

Yeah, greater overall length the better indoors.  20 or 24" AR is best for reaching across the living room and touching someone.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Plus I like having a 16.5" barrel in the Tavor versus even a ten or eleven inch barrel in an sbr that has a longer overall length.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Neither

8" SBR 300 BLK with a can
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most here don't realize this but when the 20" M16 was first introduced into service during the Viet Nam war it was touted as a "carbine."
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the RFB as the "go-to" rifle in the house... but if something gets interesting in the night, Im starting with the glock unless its confirmed to be bad guys
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Former tavor owner here.  They do have decent to good accuracy with a good trigger in and good match ammo.  As one poster said, "there is no good way to grab it that feels natural or intuitive."  Sure they can be fired one handed, so can a 14.5" or shorter ar.  The tavor is Fuckin bad when suppressed, all the excess gas from over gassed piston blows out in ur eyes/nose.  The vid showing left hand firing also shoes that guy hold is head back 4-5" from were it would normally be on stock.  In the real world, under stress, u would forget to do that and either cause a jam or get a case stabbed in your cheek.

I do like in these comparisons that pics of tavors next to ars, the ar always have the stock all the way out.  Usually about fully collapsed or pos1 is ideal, unless ur a wookie or a tard that mounted ur scope to far back.  My tavor, with no optic or light, weighed more then my 14.5 LW with an aimpoint pro and m952v.  With the dbal mounted they were equal.

Why, in most of the HD threads, do some people complain that a 10.5" ar will be ineffective or will not be as lethal as a 16".  Do these people not realize that they aren't required to use m193 or m855?  My 10.5" pistol still gets 2500 with most 55 gr soft point or horn tap, pretty sure that will provide all the fragmentation/ bullet upset to be effective inside 150 yds.  In fact it is lethal on yotes to 200 yds so I'm sure across the room distances it will be gtg.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#17]
No SBR, Tavor with 40 rounds PMAG (or similar).
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Former tavor owner here.  They do have decent to good accuracy with a good trigger in and good match ammo.  As one poster said, "there is no good way to grab it that feels natural or intuitive."  Sure they can be fired one handed, so can a 14.5" or shorter ar.  The tavor is Fuckin bad when suppressed, all the excess gas from over gassed piston blows out in ur eyes/nose.  The vid showing left hand firing also shoes that guy hold is head back 4-5" from were it would normally be on stock.  In the real world, under stress, u would forget to do that and either cause a jam or get a case stabbed in your cheek.

I do like in these comparisons that pics of tavors next to ars, the ar always have the stock all the way out.  Usually about fully collapsed or pos1 is ideal, unless ur a wookie or a tard that mounted ur scope to far back.  My tavor, with no optic or light, weighed more then my 14.5 LW with an aimpoint pro and m952v.  With the dbal mounted they were equal.

Why, in most of the HD threads, do some people complain that a 10.5" ar will be ineffective or will not be as lethal as a 16".  Do these people not realize that they aren't required to use m193 or m855?  My 10.5" pistol still gets 2500 with most 55 gr soft point or horn tap, pretty sure that will provide all the fragmentation/ bullet upset to be effective inside 150 yds.  In fact it is lethal on yotes to 200 yds so I'm sure across the room distances it will be gtg.
View Quote

I have a really big living room though. I'm not sure the 10.5" will have the proper knock-down power
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I like the idea of the ar15 and a bullpup for home defense. I built up a pretty nice 14.5" AR with premium components and in practice with it a lot.

However, when I'm tired and awakened at night, I find myself always grabbing the glock with light attached to go check out the bumps in the night.

How about you guys?

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
bullpups rock indoors

this is an AUG with a 20" barrel vs a 10.5" AR.  Going with a 16" AUG will still get you a more compact package than that AR even with the stock fully collapsed

http://www.silencertalk.com/albums/Steyr/IMG_0800.jpg
View Quote

I so want an AUG
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#22]
You guys are the worst.  I would call that poll along with the comments inconclusive at best.

Say hello to the proud new owner of a TAVOR.  I'll draw my own conclusions after some testing on the range.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You guys are the worst.  I would call that poll along with the comments inconclusive at best.

Say hello to the proud new owner of a TAVOR.  I'll draw my own conclusions after some testing on the range.
View Quote

Is that a fake/knockoff "EOTech" thats being included?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You tell me.  I was on the fence about its authenticity.

ETA: I jumped on it last night after I saw the post about the EOTech, but this morning I couldn't find any pictures of an actual EOtech that matched the one in the picture.  Haven't attempted to confirm yet with seller, but my purchase was contingent on it being authentic.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beats me. Thats why I was asking. Doesnt look like any legit ones Ive seen, but there is some really old models I may not be aware of that look cheezy like that. Like back when Bushnell made them, maybe?

Id look into that if I were you and expecting a real "EOTech" as advertised and that played a factor in your purchase.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Also have junk accuracy.

Also are heavy as shit.

Also are expensive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arm fatigue!  Train an AR one handed on a target, then try a Tavor.  The AR is not even in the same league.

You are right, its not in the same league, Tavor is peewee, AR is NFL.

I shoot ARs one handed all the time, heck my wife can shoot them one handed.

I have handled Tavors plenty, they are gross boat anchors dude. I would rather clear rooms with an M16A4 than one of those clunky shitpiles.

Also have junk accuracy.

Also are heavy as shit.

Also are expensive.

I do deal with it; I was an early adopter of the platform and while you may not like the platform your junk statements are unfounded.  Not to mention its role as a close quarters, urban fighting rifle is combat proven.  I will certainly agree that I wish it was a pound lighter and hundreds cheaper, but I think it is fair value for the platform.  It's not a DMR, but it certainly has combat effective accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Beats me. Thats why I was asking. Doesnt look like any legit ones Ive seen, but there is some really old models I may not be aware of that look cheezy like that. Like back when Bushnell made them, maybe?

Id look into that if I were you and expecting a real "EOTech" as advertised and that played a factor in your purchase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

90% sure it's the Bushnell,looks like the hood was painted.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah we got another "investigative" thread going on.

Its a Gen 1 Bushnell Holosight.

May or may not be Eotech branded, but definitely made by Bushnell either way.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I like the idea of the ar15 and a bullpup for home defense. I built up a pretty nice 14.5" AR with premium components and in practice with it a lot.

However, when I'm tired and awakened at night, I find myself always grabbing the glock with light attached to go check out the bumps in the night.

How about you guys?

View Quote

Yep, me too, Glock 22 with WML.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#31]
3 moa?   Lol someone is a shitty shot. I've run mine in my rifle course, beat my times with it. It also had a tighter grouping than my free float colt. A heavy trigger magnifies bad habits that a shooter has while a light trigger hides it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats, can't wait until you get some trigger time and report back.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Copy that. That would be great on a .22 AR, certainly not HD worthy. Pretty far cry from the current iteration of the Eotech.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

One day someone may teach you how to correctly do indoor stuff.

On that day, thank them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, greater overall length the better indoors.  20 or 24" AR is best for reaching across the living room and touching someone.

On that day, thank them.

Apparently sarcasm meter is broken.

Shorter overall length is better indoors.  True story.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It could still happen!

All you have to do is believe!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On that day, thank them.

Apparently sarcasm meter is broken.

Shorter overall length is better indoors.  True story.

It could still happen!

All you have to do is believe!

What are you saying?  
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You dont know what you dont know, but where ever you go, there you are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you saying?  

I'll take a known unknown over unknown now known any day.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you saying?  

Could you spell it out for those of use that aren't drunk by 10 AM?  
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you saying?  

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The ridiculously long length of pull on most bullpups is actually much more detrimental to a lot of CQB stuff than the overall length. (Let alone their lack of ambidextrousness.)
View Quote

Why?

Not trolling, genuinely trying to learn/understand.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The ridiculously long length of pull on most bullpups is actually much more detrimental to a lot of CQB stuff than the overall length. (Let alone their lack of ambidextrousness.)
Id take a 20in AR with a collapsable stock over a Tavor indoors any day.
16in ARs are infinitely better indoors than a Tavor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the whole reason people collapse the stock on an AR for CQB is so bring the center of gravity in towards the body to allow for faster movement (and to make it shorter).  with most bullpups, the center of gravity is still much closer to the body with its longer LoP than an AR will ever be.  the LoP on an AUG is the same as an M4 with the stock extended.  the balanced center or gravity allows you maneuver it with one hand...

(and no, it's not poor trigger discipline.  on rifles with full length trigger guards, some armies train to push the index finger out against the inside of the guard)

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I embedded a vid in this thread showing a guy shooting a Tavor with his off hand, didn't appear to be bothering him.  So it can be shot offhand.  But then again he may be tougher than the average arfcom princess.

As long as your rifle is absolutely reliable, then over 90% of the equation is the guy pulling the trigger, not the tool.

A $1000 golf club don't make you Tiger Woods any more than an AR-15 makes you Jerry Miculek.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#48]
EDIT - Question was about CQB length of pull and was answered above already.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Lol ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

the whole reason people collapse the stock on an AR for CQB is so bring the center of gravity in towards the body

Lol ok.

what's the 'correct' reason then?  to adjust for body armor?

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the whole reason people collapse the stock on an AR for CQB is so bring the center of gravity in towards the body

Lol ok.

In for the lulz.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top