Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Winning your conference should be a prerequisite for the current 4 team playoff
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So according to what you stated, Utah and USC and TCU and K-State shouldn’t play again? They’ve already played.

Conference championships shouldn’t be about playing someone different. They should be about the 2 best teams playing.

Answer this. Is Perdue more deserving than Ohio St?
How can they be? The playoff committee, the AP and the coaches poll all have Ohio St at #5. Perdue isn’t even ranked in the Top 25.

Are conference championships worthless? The folks always complaining about playoff expansion use the argument of not wanting worthless teams included. They only want the best, so 4 is enough. Yet the “best” teams aren’t even playing for the conference championships.

That ship has sailed over and over again
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So according to what you stated, Utah and USC and TCU and K-State shouldn’t play again? They’ve already played.

Conference championships shouldn’t be about playing someone different. They should be about the 2 best teams playing.

How can they be? The playoff committee, the AP and the coaches poll all have Ohio St at #5. Perdue isn’t even ranked in the Top 25.

Are conference championships worthless? The folks always complaining about playoff expansion use the argument of not wanting worthless teams included. They only want the best, so 4 is enough. Yet the “best” teams aren’t even playing for the conference championships.

Then we’d need the 2 best teams in every conference playing for the championship. And that’s not what’s happening in the SEC and Big10.

And how many times has a non conference winner won the playoffs? Haven’t Bama and OSU both done that?

Would everyone be ok with a playoff comprised of some combination of Perdue, Utah, K-State LSU and UNC or Clemson? There’s not high odds of that happening but in your statement it’s possible.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Then we’d need the 2 best teams in every conference playing for the championship. And that’s not what’s happening in the SEC and Big10.

And how many times has a non conference winner won the playoffs? Haven’t Bama and OSU both done that?

Would everyone be ok with a playoff comprised of some combination of Perdue, Utah, K-State LSU and UNC or Clemson? There’s not high odds of that happening but in your statement it’s possible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bama, OSU, UGA, ND
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes conference championships are dumb .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. The playoffs have diminished the importance. Perfect example was when Penn St won the Big10 in 2017 (?) and OSU went to the playoffs. Personally I’d rather have a playoff appearance on the resume than a conference championship.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would be.

Want to play for the national championship? Win your conference.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Bama, OSU, UGA, ND
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bama, OSU, UGA, ND

Change ND for Michigan and we could have that this year.
As much as I’m pulling for TCU I’d like to see them and USC lose just so the committee might bump OSU and Bama in. The heads exploding around college football would be highly entertaining.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because it should be the 2 best teams playing for the conference title not some 8-4 team that was in a weaker division due to geographic location.

Honestly I’d be ok with deciding conference champions based on regular season results without playing a cc game. Just go to a 16 team playoff.
View Quote

Exactly.
Eliminate one of the out of conference games.
Go to a 16 team play off.
Eliminate all the post season bowl games that aren't playoff games. Being mediocre shouldn't qualify you for post season play.
Or play 10 games
Go to a 32 team playoff.
Conference winners have an automatic spot. The rest of the spots are at-large.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As much as I’m pulling for TCU I’d like to see them and USC lose just so the committee might bump OSU and Bama in. The heads exploding around college football would be highly entertaining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bama, OSU, UGA, ND

That's all they are talking about already..... and have been for awhile now
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Exactly.
Eliminate all the post season bowl games that aren't playoff games. Being mediocre shouldn't qualify you for post season play.
Or play 10 games
Go to a 32 team playoff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it should be the 2 best teams playing for the conference title not some 8-4 team that was in a weaker division due to geographic location.

Honestly I’d be ok with deciding conference champions based on regular season results without playing a cc game. Just go to a 16 team playoff.

Exactly.
Or play 10 games
Go to a 32 team playoff.

Shitty bowl games are a major part of CFB
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would be.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be.

Then do what the Pac and Big12 do and take the 2 best teams to the ccg instead of division winners. No fricking way Perdue deserves to be there in place of OSU. And I’m far from a OSU fan. But they earned it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Exactly.
Or play 10 games
Go to a 32 team playoff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.
Or play 10 games
Go to a 32 team playoff.

I like the “win or go home” atmosphere and intensity that playoffs bring. That’s what makes March Madness so popular.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Then do what the Pac and Big12 do and take the 2 best teams to the ccg instead of division winners. No fricking way Perdue deserves to be there in place of OSU. And I’m far from a OSU fan. But they earned it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be.

Do it.

No conference championship, no chance to win a national title

Who would be playing in the SEC championship game in this scenario?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#13]
The Big 10 West has never won the title game

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

The entire country can't wait to see the Bain de Soleil Sunscreen/Kellogg's Pop-Tart Bowl played between two teams like Southern Miss and San Jose State that ESPN is hyping for the next two weeks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The entire country can't wait to see the Bain de Soleil Sunscreen/Kellogg's Pop-Tart Bowl played between two teams like Southern Miss and San Jose State that ESPN is hyping for the next two weeks.
View Quote

Southern Miss -3.5 is a lock

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What else are ya gonna do during December on a Tuesday afternoon?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#17]
@wakeboarder

you referred to a pod system?  what the hell is that?  I still don't like USC and UCLA joining the BigN+1
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I like the “win or go home” atmosphere and intensity that playoffs bring. That’s what makes March Madness so popular.
View Quote

It works in all the other football divisions.
It also gives a lot more meaning to the regular season.
There are plenty of good teams in the other divisions that have winning records that are sitting home come playoff time.
There are a few upsets, but nothing like college basketball has.
The chances of #32 beating #1 are slim, but the mid-level brackets are always interesting.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Football gods please, please give us Kansas-Mizzou.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@wakeboarder

you referred to a pod system?  what the hell is that?  I still don't like USC and UCLA joining the BigN+1
View Quote

4 team pods with a protected rival- 9 conference games

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not saying I wouldn't watch it, so long as Beth Mowins/Kirk Morrison or Mark Jones/R Knee 3 aren't the broadcast teams. In which case, I would rather watch Hallmark's "A Merry Magical Christmas at the Super 8 Motel"
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not saying I wouldn't watch it, so long as Beth Mowins/Kirk Morrison or Mark Jones/R Knee 3 aren't the broadcast teams. In which case, I would rather watch Hallmark's "A Merry Magical Christmas at the Super 8 Motel"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I usually keep the volume down for almost all broadcast teams.  Local play by play guys for each team would be way better for most games
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I usually keep the volume down for almost all broadcast teams.  Local play by play guys for each team would be way better for most games
View Quote

I was working outside during the bama/Texas game listening to the bama broadcast.

Insufferable to listen to the whining about officiating
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the entire country isnt the target market of those bowl games. its all about espn airtime and companies being willing to shell out $ for the exposure.

of course 1/2 the bowl games are meaningless in terms of who the best teams in the country are. this isnt the 80s when there were so few bowl games only the very best teams actually played in some. there are about 40 bowl games. that means 80 teams out of 131 get into a bowl game.  

look how many have been added since 2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_bowl_games

but who cares? dont watch them if you dont like it.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Interesting... lose all the major metrics in a game and still win it

https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-tech-win-oklahoma-most-improbable-2022-college-football-season
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would enjoy watching this
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kansas wants Bama
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Kansas wants Bama
View Quote

That one would be over by 14:52 in the second quarter

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You think bama can hang in that long?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does Kansas run the option?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjLK4fTgUcG/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does Kansas run the option?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjLK4fTgUcG/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

They run their own system as I would describe.  Honestly hoping that coach gets hired off, he would smoke some folks with 3 star+ athletes
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be.

Do it.

Georgia and Tennessee.
Tennessee and Bama have 2 conference losses and Tennessee won heads up. LSU has 3 conference losses.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats why I wouldn't mind seeing two brackets....1-16 for the championship and 17-32 for fun...
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was working outside during the bama/Texas game listening to the bama broadcast.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was BigXii Officiating… so…
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Georgia and Tennessee.
Tennessee and Bama have 2 conference losses and Tennessee won heads up. LSU has 3 conference losses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be.

Do it.

Georgia and Tennessee.

lsu has 2 SEC losses

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their officials are about as bad as SEC refs……… lots of crappy calls this year
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

lsu has 2 SEC losses

View Quote

...but would still have the head-to-head loss to Tennessee.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much, much, much, much worse.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

lsu has 2 SEC losses

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be.

Do it.

Georgia and Tennessee.

lsu has 2 SEC losses

My bad.
But they lost to Tennessee too. So Tennessee should still be playing Georgia.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thats why I wouldn't mind seeing two brackets....1-16 for the championship and 17-32 for fun...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree

And crappywhatever.com bowls for whoever else has a .500 or better record

It's just another game and content for midday weekdays when there ain't much going onn
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Wtf.
View All Quotes

17yo freshman?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Pic won't upload, I give up
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One more game to get players hurt in and it’s often a useless game to begin with.  The increasing amount of games is eventually going to translate to more scholarship players, which in turn will make the rich get richer while smaller programs won’t be able to afford the higher amount of scholarships.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Pic won't upload, I give up
View Quote

I'm going to assume that's unrelated to the above posts.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm going to assume that's unrelated to the above posts.
View Quote

You'd be correct
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You'd be correct
View Quote

Is the pic on your PC?
Page / 242
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top