Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The Original Cuban Sandwich

Columbia Restaurant - History of the Cuban Sandwich
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Miami native here. Never thought a Cuban really needed salami until I had La Segunda visiting a friend. It’s legit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wrong about the salami. They were not even created by Cubans either. Europeans that cured meats
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail

A Cuban doesn’t have lettuce and is pressed.

You are correct. No salami either.

Wrong about the salami. They were not even created by Cubans either. Europeans that cured meats

I think there's a lot of Cubano/Panini type fusions going on out there - where I have no issue with fusion cuisine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you like grouper sandwiches, in the Tampa Bay area try Rusty Bellies in Tarpon Springs. But my favorite fish sandwich in Florida is the fried Hogfish sandwich at the Hogfish Bar and Grill on Stock Island (Key West).
View Quote
my only experience with hogfish. it was definitely good.
Fifi's, in Miami Beach
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you like grouper sandwiches, in the Tampa Bay area try Rusty Bellies in Tarpon Springs. But my favorite fish sandwich in Florida is the fried Hogfish sandwich at the Hogfish Bar and Grill on Stock Island (Key West).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46582/2023-02-22_16_11_42-zhW0rfION2CvcUEYBxrT-2720989.png

Hogfish is my favorite part of our annual Keys trip.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
La Segunda makes a good sandwich. My regular place for Cuban sandwiches (and hot Cuban food) to go is the Interbay Meat Market. Go in, order the sandwiches, grab a couple drinks and then drive down the street to the Ballast Point Park and eat on a picnic table by the water.
View Quote

That brings back memories.... we used to call Interbay "the green store" .....it was the S. Tampa go to for a Cubano in our teens-20's.

I live in Pasco now..... the best one near me is from "The Latin Spot" in Lutz .......

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You missed the joke.

Grouper.  In the desert.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, in GA we had several Venezuelan shops that made filled arepas. Sometimes cuisines spread.

At a local coffee shop, I see they have Cuban samwiches and Cuban coffee on the menu...I'm kinda skeptical, but after trying their breakfast burritos, may give it a shot.

You missed the joke.

Grouper.  In the desert.

This place is a grouper desert.  Yeah we have sea bass(not specific of what type tho) and snapper sandwiches, but not FL style.. ala frenchy's and whatnot.  Too west.  We do have good seafood here as there are a few shops that mainline it in daily.. but all west coast stuff and mexico.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This place is a grouper desert.  Yeah we have sea bass and snapper sandwiches, but not FL style.. ala frenchy's and whatnot.  Too west.  We do have good seafood here as there are a few shops that mainline it in daily.. but all west coast stuff and mexico.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, in GA we had several Venezuelan shops that made filled arepas. Sometimes cuisines spread.

At a local coffee shop, I see they have Cuban samwiches and Cuban coffee on the menu...I'm kinda skeptical, but after trying their breakfast burritos, may give it a shot.

You missed the joke.

Grouper.  In the desert.

This place is a grouper desert.  Yeah we have sea bass and snapper sandwiches, but not FL style.. ala frenchy's and whatnot.  Too west.  We do have good seafood here as there are a few shops that mainline it in daily.. but all west coast stuff and mexico.

I’ve been to Coronado/San Diego a dozen or more times. I’m always amazed at the lack of seafood restaurants.  (Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong places). What I mean is I’ve always expected a bunch of little mom and pop type places like in here in FL.  I never see them (again, I’m sure they’re around and I’m simply missing them)
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]
La Segunda is the  best.

She chose wisely.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Best I have had was when you could buy them at Publix (freshly made in the deli).  Tried Miami on a trip and was not all that impressed.  That said, I think it has been almost 15 years since I have had one from a Publix.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Which area now has the largest Cuban population?

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was working in Tampa, a Cuban sandwich from a small place around the corner was my work day lunch. Love those things.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@redfish86 My next thread will be grouper sandwiches lol

Honeymoon Island
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/honeymoongrouper_jpg-2720965.JPG
View Quote
This is my local beach. I've had many Bloody Marys on that deck on Sunday Mornings.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’ve been to Coronado/San Diego a dozen or more times. I’m always amazed at the lack of seafood restaurants.  (Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong places). What I mean is I’ve always expected a bunch of little mom and pop type places like in here in FL.  I never see them (again, I’m sure they’re around and I’m simply missing them)
View Quote

The hardcore seafood restaurant per capita in southern california is nothing compared to other places.  Its kinda sad.  I think land/rent might have killed them off, as I do remember having some good stuff when I was younger.

Once you get up a little more north, it gets better... like Ventura, Santa Barbra, Morro Bay where you can throw a stone to the next hole in the wall joint.  I Love eating local stuff on the docks.

Morro Bay
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice.
Love the Tampa style..
Don't know about Miami, but I'm sure it's excellent.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is my local beach. I've had many Bloody Marys on that deck on Sunday Mornings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@redfish86 My next thread will be grouper sandwiches lol

Honeymoon Island
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/honeymoongrouper_jpg-2720965.JPG

Awesome!  That sandwich was sooo good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Down-low EV thread!
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fifi's, in Miami Beach
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46582/2023-02-22_16_11_42-zhW0rfION2CvcUEYBxrT-2720989.png
View Quote

Id destroy that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The hardcore seafood restaurant per capita in southern california is nothing compared to other places.  Its kinda sad.  I think land/rent might have killed them off, as I do remember having some good stuff when I was younger.

Once you get up a little more north, it gets better... like Ventura, Santa Barbra, Morro Bay where you can throw a stone to the next hole in the wall joint.  I Love eating local stuff on the docks.

Morro Bay
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20221228_212124832_jpg-2653523.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20221228_212113631_2_jpg-2653522.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/PXL_20221229_204512521_2_jpg-2653516.JPG
View Quote

Dayyyyyyum that looks good.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Down-low EV thread!
View Quote

LOL.. rental... now she wants one.  I said keep those memories safe, that is all you are getting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Down-low EV thread!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Edit:  nvm, I just figured it out
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL.. rental... now she wants one.  I said keep those memories safe, that is all you are getting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Down-low EV thread!

Smart.

Teslas suck.

Go for Porsche!

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Smart.

Teslas suck.

Go for Porsche!

View Quote

Real Porsches have 6 flat cylinders

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Have her head over the bridge to Tierra Verde, and have the Hogfish Tacos at Billy's Stone Crab restaurant.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Have her head over the bridge to Tierra Verde, and have the Hogfish Tacos at Billy's Stone Crab restaurant.
View Quote

Bigtard brings up a good point. It’s stone crab season.  She needs to get on some.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ve not been gulf side but Miami and even Orlando has good locations. But I’ve not seen a decent Cuban place at Jacksonville yet - haven’t tried them all while passing thru.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Bigtard brings up a good point. It’s stone crab season.  She needs to get on some.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taking pics of random cocks AND getting crabs!

All this thread needs is a giant pink lingerie pics!

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I ate one down near Tampa last year just to see what everyone was raving about and I thought it sucked. Dry and crusty! Cutting the sub in the middle diagonally at a radical angle is stupid too. Just cut the damn thing in half straight across! The meat was good though, so I ended up eating it keto sans the bread.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I ate one down near Tampa last year just to see what everyone was raving about and I thought it sucked. Dry and crusty! Cutting the sub in the middle diagonally at a radical angle is stupid too. Just cut the damn thing in half straight across! The meat was good though, so I ended up eating it keto sans the bread.
View Quote

You should stay in North Carolina
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#30]
La Terasita for the win. The Rainbow Food store on S. Howard Ave. was a close second but I think it closed
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I prefer the Tampa style. I loathe everything about Miami, especially all 87 of their trash football fans.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Tampa is the birthplace of the Cuban sandwich. Miami perfected it! Lettuce, tomato and salami have no place on a Cuban!

Key Largo

Shell station in Coconut Grove

Gas station Cubans are the best!
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#33]
La Segunda is top of the list. Used to be Brocatos but they stopped pressing their sandwiches. They say due to covid but that’s bs. It’s a travesty.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stone Crab did I hear?
There is a place.. a few miles away.. that used to (sometimes) have many under the rocks.. on low tide. (I need to raid it)..Hmmmm..  ..

Thanks for reminding me..

But, still a good Tampa Cuban is hard to beat-
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I grew up eating at little Cuban restaurants in S.FL and never would have expected to find even better Cuban floor in Tampa.  But I did.

Never did like the Cuban deserts though.

-Mike
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#36]
La Segunda is top of the list. Used to be Brocatos but they stopped pressing their sandwiches. They say due to covid but that’s bs. It’s a travesty.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/63MCCn8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HV4Ql2U.jpg
View Quote

I had a Cuban there for the first time pre-WuFlu. They didn’t press it then AND it had lettuce on it.

Also, those crab things are fucking nasty.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tampa is the birthplace of the Cuban sandwich. Miami perfected it! Lettuce, tomato and salami have no place on a Cuban!

Key Largo
https://i.imgur.com/rByAEdn.jpg

Shell station in Coconut Grove
https://i.imgur.com/jwkXHjq.jpg

Gas station Cubans are the best!
View Quote
Salami is mandatory, but there are no lettuce or tomato on a proper Tampa Cuban.

Miami f'ed it up by ripping off the New York tourists and omitting the Salami to save a few cents.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
La Terasita for the win. The Rainbow Food store on S. Howard Ave. was a close second but I think it closed
View Quote

Used to live right at the corner of Mississippi and S. Howard ......we would get the chicks on AOL and Yahoo to meet us at the Laundromat next to the Rainbow store....

If it didn't work out, you still got a sandwich and clean clothes
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Cuban Food
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Cuban Food
View Quote
It's just like Tex-Mex, only way better
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cuban Food
View Quote

Lol, rook.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Any suggestions for top sandwiches in Miami Beach near 52nd street and Collins?
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cuban Food

LOL
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Any suggestions for top sandwiches in Miami Beach near 52nd street and Collins?
View Quote

Drive up to Tampa

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Drive up to Tampa

View Quote
lol

I'm not driving anywhere while on vacation.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ybor knows what they are doing.

have her check out the Colombia restaurant too
View Quote

This.  The Columbia restaurant has the best Cuban sandwich in Florida.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
La Teresita and Brocato's are also excellent choices in Tampa
View Quote

THIS...
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#49]
The holy triumvirate of sandwiches (in no particular order):

Banh Mi

Cuban

Muffaletta

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Did she determine why he was crossing the road?
View Quote
Actually did LoL
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top