User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NY Strip is what all the cool people eat. Get some McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning and you are good to go.

Had one at a fancy restaurant a while back with a bone attached. It...........was.............AWESOME.

Had the flavor of a fatty piece of meat without the grease. I understand and appreciate marbling but don't care for excessive grease. I am always having trouble finding the perfect mix of lean and flavor.

You don't like that stuff?

I was, for years, the biggest proponent of sea salt and cracked pepper ONLY on steaks. I was farting around with a cheap cut one day and threw some on and thought it was excellent! Had that steakhouse grill taste.

But, that is just my .02.

It's fine on cheap cuts, just not on good steak.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
T-bone

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Steak cuts are very much a matter of personal preference.  What kind of taste and texture you like.

Ribeye is a more "fatty" cut.
Strip is a very tender cut with a little less fat  and a little more flavor.  Some folks give a different name to a strip with the bone still on one side, but it's the same piece of meat.
Filet is an even more tender cut, aka tenderloin, but is relatively lean.
T-bone or porterhouse is a strip on one side and (usually small) filet on the other, with the bone in the middle.
Sirloin is a leaner but slightly more flavorful (IMO) cut.

Web search for "steak cuts" will bring plenty of links.
http://americanfood.about.com/od/resourcesadditionalinfo/tp/Choosing_Cuts_Steak.htm
http://beefretail.org/CMDocs/BeefRetail/efcdisplaytools/BeefMadeEasyCutChart.pdf

Personally I prefer either a strip or a sirloin depending on my mood.  Ribeyes are just too fatty for me, much too greasy, and filets just too lacking in texture.

Nowadays there are all kinds of new names to reintroduce less common cuts to the market.  Flatiron steak for example (which I still haven't tried ).
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a little trivia here.
Although the Lenten season is 40 days long, they are not 40 continuous days. Sunday is not counted as lent during the Lenten season.
So, if you give up meat for lent, you can have meat on Sunday and still be compliant.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Flat irons are best marinated, seasoned, and sauced.  I'll use the pan drippings, deglaze with red wine, reduce, and add heavy creme at the end to make the sauce.

If you just cook them, they are tasteless and horrible.

As a side note, I will also do the same thing If I am pan frying my strips, and want to create a sauce, except I use all the juices that come out during the rest as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a nice 2" thick tomahawk steak last weekend, it was excellent.

Tomahawk steak = bone-in ribeye (preferable the whole rib not the cutoff ones you normally see), with the bone frenched (all the meat/fat cutoff), leaving a long bone (the handle), attached to the eye of the ribeye.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Look for a well marbled rib-eye.

Salt and pepper should be all you need.

/thread
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Ribeye, strip or tenderloin ... pick one.

Do not marinate.

I prefer ribeyes.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Flat irons are best marinated, seasoned, and sauced.  I'll use the pan drippings, deglaze with red wine, reduce, and add heavy creme at the end to make the sauce.

If you just cook them, they are tasteless and horrible.

As a side note, I will also do the same thing If I am pan frying my strips, and want to create a sauce, except I use all the juices that come out during the rest as well.

Incorrect!

Also pleas do not mention the cut that shall not be mentioned. Much like hanging tenders...
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We just did Filet Mignon's the other day bought from a local butcher/Italian market... about 1 1/2" to 2" inches thick ..little Weber closed top charcoal grill...charcoal grill em about 18-20 minutes time total.. put em on when coals are white hot and turn em every 6 minutes!

You massively overcooked the leanest cut possible. It was also very tender before you mutilated it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We just did Filet Mignon's the other day bought from a local butcher/Italian market... about 1 1/2" to 2" inches thick ..little Weber closed top charcoal grill...charcoal grill em about 18-20 minutes time total.. put em on when coals are white hot and turn em every 6 minutes!

You massively overcooked the leanest cut possible. It was also very tender before you mutilated it.

That had to be like eating boot leather.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.qkme.me/3r8bj9.jpg

This. I love a good meat searing story as much as the next guy, but...this.

To the filet that once was: We give our hearts to thee.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#14]
What an absolutely magnificent way to ruin an exquisite piece of meat.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just a little trivia here.
Although the Lenten season is 40 days long, they are not 40 continuous days. Sunday is not counted as lent during the Lenten season.
So, if you give up meat for lent, you can have meat on Sunday and still be compliant.

Cheating in my book.

This makes it more of a sacrifice.

How soon can I buy the steak? I don't know if ill get a chance to eat it until Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm thinking ill but a couple smaller ones. Maybe one rib eye and one strip or chuck to see what I like. Good idea?
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I really never liked a ribeye. I find that the marbling of a ribeye takes away from the actually taste of the beef when grilled. That's why my favorite steaks are prime rib, porter house. I usually get he porter house because its two steaks in one a Ny strip and a filet. Both of those cuts are not very marbleized with fat. Because of that you need to get a good grade. They are by far the best.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Bootleather my ass..everything we cooked was medium rare....not overcooked at all....sorry guys our grill takes a while but I know how filets should be served! Once again DID NOT OVERCOOK!

F you all that want me to eat it raw! Yeah our grill DOESNT get that hot so it slow cooks....I used to eat stuff rare...cant anymore....they turned out just fine Im the last one that wants stuff overcooked.Medium rare is medium rare...

I cook steaks for guests we have coming down here all the time and no complaints yet....

F you and your fucking cat as well!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really never liked a ribeye. I find that the marbling of a ribeye takes away from the actually taste of the beef when grilled. That's why my favorite steaks are prime rib, porter house. I usually get he porter house because its two steaks in one a Ny strip and a filet. Both of those cuts are not very marbleized with fat. Because of that you need to get a good grade. They are by far the best.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Oh wow, how did I miss that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bootleather my ass..everything we cooked was medium rare....not overcooked at all....sorry guys our grill takes a while but I know how filets should be served! Once again DID NOT OVERCOOK!

Medium rare is overcooked for a filet.

What does your grill cook at? 200 degrees?
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One other thought, if you are a grill NEWB, then experiment with a rib eye, because they have so much internal fat, not marbling, but chunky fat, you can over cook them, and still not have a ruined steak, where, a dry strip, can be HORRIBLE.

And, if someone prefers something other than a strip,chances are they have had unmarbled, overcooked strips, which, as Alton states, are not "GOOD EATS".

FWIW, If you don't want to ruin a strip steak, buy a small standing rib roast, have the bones removed and tied back on, and cook it as a standing rib roast, but, you have to do at LEAST six to seven inches of steak, or three to preferably four ribs, depending.  Have the butcher take it off the bone and retie it back together.

You WANT the SMALL end of the primal, the large end is fattier and less tasty, he can cut that end for the heathens who can't make a proper strip steak...

Or they just like things different from you.

Impossible, I know, but it is what it is.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Ny strip and king crab legs.

Hot coals

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#24]

i have 4 big T-bones for the charcoal tomorrow.
They were out of filets.  My first choice.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#25]
First post wins.  Hard to beat a good Ribeye.  Rare toward Medium Rare please....
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
porterhouse

any other answer is simply wrong

Ineluctible truth there.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I am useing a gorge forman grill....its all i got
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#29]

What cut is that? Looks good!
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Definitely a ribeye.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Get a filet or ribeye.  Get a cast iron pan. Season heavily salt and pepper.  Heat pan as hot as you possibly can.   Blistering, screaming hot.   Sear 30 seconds each side.   Finish in a really smoky smoker, about 20 mins at 275.  Enjoy!

Edit: this is for very thick cuts
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#32]
You want at least a "choice" grade steak. If you can swing "prime" go for it. Here, prime is around 16 to 20 bucks a pound according on cut. At all cost, stay away from "select" cuts. They are a grade below choice and will usually have less marbling. They will be your bright red, no fat, steaks that wally world dude was talking about. You will need a real sharp knife if you buy those. Now heres the kicker. You really need to pay attention to the looks of the steak in the pack. Sometimes you can find prime that has been graded as choice. What I'm saying is sometimes the meat inspectors will miss their mark on grading the carcass. This is where it comes in handy to know a nicely marbled steak when you see one. That can go the other way as well. Can be marked prime but look the same as a choice five feet down the cooler. Go for the marbling, salt and pepper, hot and fast sear on each side and then let it rest for about 10 min before you eat. Good luck

And should look like this inside.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Be sure to take the meat out of the fridge a few hours before cooking.

They should be room temp before they go on the grill.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

don't get a Flat Iron, those things taste like shit

The is strong in this post.

Flat Iron is the best kept secret in the steak world. The only thing more tender is filet, and the flavor is excellent. If it tastes like shit, you must be boiling it in your toilet.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ribeyes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ribeyes.

Thanks.

I'm not used to seeing all this fat in and around cuts. Too used to elk.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Anything grass fed is going to be better for you and leaner.  I'll take a shoulder cut of grass fed at $9 a pound as opposed to some corn fed NY strip.  Really, it's that big of a difference.  Only downside is grass fed in a filet cut is something like $30 a pound.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flat Iron is the best kept secret in the steak world. The only thing more tender is filet, and the flavor is excellent. If it tastes like shit, you must be boiling it in your toilet.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I agree on it being one of the best kept secrets. Very good steak. I like to slice thin strips and eat it like fajita meat. Hanger steaks are good as well. Try one of those if you haven't.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You want at least a "choice" grade steak. If you can swing "prime" go for it. Here, prime is around 16 to 20 bucks a pound according on cut. At all cost, stay away from "select" cuts. They are a grade below choice and will usually have less marbling. They will be your bright red, no fat, steaks that wally world dude was talking about. You will need a real sharp knife if you buy those. Now heres the kicker. You really need to pay attention to the looks of the steak in the pack. Sometimes you can find prime that has been graded as choice. What I'm saying is sometimes the meat inspectors will miss their mark on grading the carcass. This is where it comes in handy to know a nicely marbled steak when you see one. That can go the other way as well. Can be marked prime but look the same as a choice five feet down the cooler. Go for the marbling, salt and pepper, hot and fast sear on each side and then let it rest for about 10 min before you eat. Good luck

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p144/jmansmom/IMG_8242.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p144/jmansmom/IMG_8245.jpg
And should look like this inside.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p144/jmansmom/IMG_8252.jpg

Nailed it! (that's what she said)
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Ribeye.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Rib Eye
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Porterhouse or bone in rib eye!!! Salt and pepper on the grill 5-6 minutes per side and let sit for 10 minutes

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#45]
My order of steaky goodness:

Porterhouse
T-Bone
NY Strip
Ribeye

A porterhouse is king. It is cut from the best part of the short loin. On one side of the bone you have a large, flavorful NY strip. On the other side of the bone you have a nice, large piece of tenderloin a/k/a fillet that is really tender. This is the best of both worlds in the world of steak. The T-Bone is essentially a porterhouse cut toward the end of the loin. It is usually less marbled on the NY strip side of the bone and has a smaller piece of tenderloin on the other side.  NY strip isn't as marbled as a Ribeye but is still my preferred every day cut. Most people tend to prefer the Ribeye over the NY strip though. I like both about equally but usually get the strip.

The grade of the meat matters considerably too. Even a cheap sirloin can be DAMN good because of its marbling if it is Prime. USDA Standard isn't worth buying IMO. This is your every day unmarked meat from your grocery store. USDA Select is acceptable if that is all you can get. USDA Choice is my usual grab. It offers the best compromise between meaty goodness and cost IMO. USDA Prime is the best of the USDA ratings and is excellent but costly. On top of that there can be other branded or trademarked brands of beef such as wagyu and Kobe. Kobe beef is strictly sold in Japan though so if you aren't eating it in Japan it is probably just wagyu Japanese beef which can still be an improvement over USDA Prime.

I will probably hold a Costco card forever simply for their steaks. USDA Choice steaks there are usually sold at the every day price of USDA standard or the sale price of the USDA Select from your local grocery store.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Unless its a damn good cut of meat, I'll take a strip over a ribeye.

That said, filet mignon trumps all
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nailed it right here
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm a ribeye kinda guy. Things you could put on a ribeye...

Sea salt and fresh ground pepper are mandatory.

A pat of a compound butter(I like rosemary, thyme, parsley and garlic) while it's resting.

or

Bearnaise sauce
Au poivre sauce
Wine/demiglace reduction.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anything grass fed is going to be better for you and leaner.  I'll take a shoulder cut of grass fed at $9 a pound as opposed to some corn fed NY strip.  Really, it's that big of a difference.  Only downside is grass fed in a filet cut is something like $30 a pound.

I really don't understand why beef that's fed cheap, low nutrition feed and isn't shipped to a feedlot, is more expensive than real beef.

It just blows my mind. It's like a scam.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top