Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/25/2019 1:39:42 PM EDT
I'm watching Justified again and they mention going up to some holler.
What is a holler?
Is it some place at the end of a dirt road in the hills with a bunch of ramshackle cabins?
Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You’ll never leave Harlan alive...
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is a holler?
Is it some place at the end of a dirt road in the hills with a bunch of ramshackle cabins?
Just curious.
View Quote
Holler in, even your echo won't make it back out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
My grandparents lived down a holler.

Quoted:
What is a holler?
Just curious.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Actual word is hollow. Definition is a hole or cavity. In those parts is is known as holler.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Ridge to ridge, you gotta holler across for someone to hear you on the other side.

A small valley or dell for you yankee types.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
a holler is a road often one lane that is often pretty remote and un kept. There may or may not be electricity, city water/sewage.
There will most certainly be dilapidated vehicles on blocks, a well and likely at least one trailer. A large barn may also be present but it is about to blow over or has collapsed already.
If you dont look enough like an outsider you will likely be welcomed with moonshine, 12 gauge ammo or cigarettes. Should you not look the part, stern looks and discontent will follow.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
A holler is a small valley usually where 1 family with multiple generations owns the whole thing.  You could have 14 houses all owned by aunts uncles cousins and nephews.  They are extremely tight and protective of each other against strangers.  People who go looking for trouble in one have been known to disappear.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of dem hollers is so far back in they have to pipe in sunshine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actual word is hollow. Definition is a hole or cavity. In those parts is is known as holler.
View Quote
The small low spot between 2 hills or mountains not to be confused with a valley which is larger.

Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
In Pennsylvania we had hollas.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#11]
"Hollow"
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Holler is the proper pronunciation of the word Hollow when used in the context of a small valley.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a place you don't want to make a wrong turn into.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The small low spot between 2 hills or mountains not to be confused with a valley which is larger.

View Quote
This.

And most hollers have a creek, or crick, running through them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's a draw.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A holler is a small valley usually where 1 family with multiple generations owns the whole thing.  You could have 14 houses all owned by aunts uncles cousins and nephews.  They are extremely tight and protective of each other against strangers.  People who go looking for trouble in one have been known to disappear.
View Quote
And to add, the road up the holler is usually a dead end. One way in, one way out.
Unless you are an outsider, then it easily can be one way in, no way out...ever.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
meth
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Holler is the proper pronunciation of the word Hollow when used in the context of a small valley.
View Quote
The Legend of Sleepy Holler

It has a nice ring to it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Just thought I’d check Netflix for the series, NOPE! It appears Amazon has it and The Shield exclusively on their streaming service. Sucks. I’d love to go back and rewatch all those episodes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Loretta Lynn - Coal Miner's Daughter.1971.

Edit:  better version
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Holler's down Copperhead Rd. Good place to hide yer still and garden from the DEA, at least til they get a chopper in the air.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just thought I’d check Netflix for the series, NOPE! It appears Amazon has it and The Shield exclusively on their streaming service. Sucks. I’d love to go back and rewatch all those episodes.
View Quote
This is my second go around.
Great series.
I am watching on Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Backnin the Woods were you wouldn’t want to go on a road that has no name.

Now all ye Kentuckians call your state reps to move SB 150 for Constitutional Carry out of committee without the 3 poison pill amendments.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
What do you gentlemen require?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I've done surveillance in hollers back in the day.  It was risky.

In some narrow hollers, the sun rises at 10 and sets at 2 LOL.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The small town my families was in rented an airplane to survey land back in the late 70's.  They have never flown back over it to my knowledge.  Stupid rednecks mistaking an airplane for ducks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#28]
The area between on ridge and the next is a "hollow."  Most folks pronounce "hollow" as "holler."

Most "hollers" don't have anyone living in them.  Drainage made them, nature populates them and we just walk up/down/across them for one reason or another.

Many hollers are good places to live.  Creeks, some decently flat areas for houses/sheds and gardens.

Think there's lots of old cars in hollers?  You ain't been "home" in a long time.  When the price of scrap metal went up many years ago people even drove out into the boonies to drag old cars/trucks/equipment out of the woods and trailer it to the scrap metal yards.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Behind some of the old homes or trailers, down the hill a ways, is a large pile of stuff, that offers a snapshot of history stacked one upon another...cars, washing machines throughout the ages, the evolution of TV's and other appliances, furniture and clothing. All thrown down the hill when no longer working or wanted.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. The word refers to a geographical feature. Hollows can be roadless and unpopulated.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Dems wet hollers
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've done surveillance in hollers back in the day.  It was risky.

In some narrow hollers, the sun rises at 10 and sets at 2 LOL.
View Quote
Dems deep hollers
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#33]
My grandmother used to have an aunt in middle TN who lived in a holler back in the woods.   It was a very Clampett-like arrangement, one of those "if your front porch collapses and kills more than two dogs" kind of things.    There was a rundown old house and I don't think they even had electricity, or if so, maybe one bare light bulb in the main room.   I visited a couple of times.  She had a common law husband named Otto who I never saw do any work around the place; his main occupation seemed to be either getting drunk or trying to get drunk, and he was pretty good at it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Around these parts we have hills and valleys, hollows branch off valleys, and "slides" branch off hollows.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I have lived in hollers, between two hollers, and I own a couple. Unpopulated ones aren't usually full of junk. Even so, with enough time nature will take it back. The holler where my dad grew up only has a few headstones to prove people were there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
it's a draw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's a draw.
It is like a draw, but with three stories of vegetation and the smell of whiskey cooking.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Behind some of the old homes or trailers, down the hill a ways, is a large pile of stuff, that offers a snapshot of history stacked one upon another...cars, washing machines throughout the ages, the evolution of TV's and other appliances, furniture and clothing. All thrown down the hill when no longer working or wanted.
View Quote
Reservations around the southwest have the same make up in some areas.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have lived in hollers, between two hollers, and I own a couple. Unpopulated ones aren't usually full of junk. Even so, with enough time nature will take it back. The holler where my dad grew up only has a few headstones to prove people were there.
View Quote
Got any photos handy?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
meth
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
meth
Prior to thirty years ago, it was whiskey.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Got any photos handy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got any photos handy?
Of which?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Spent a lot of time in Betsy Layne and Harold is the early 70's.  Went up in the hollers back then to get shine.  Better know which one to go up, have a 4WD, and where to stop. Looking up the hill next to the shack you could see the chronological life of junk piling up, starting at the top with turn of century stuff to the bottom with ringer washers and actual ice boxes, cars and pickups from multiple decades strewn around.  The people were always friendly though, if they knew you.  If they didn't they were very cautious, very.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#42]
The Lost Trailers - Holler Back
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Holler is slang for a hollow.  It’s a short valley.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a holler?
Just curious.
Holler is slang for a hollow.  It’s a short valley.
If it is a larger valley, with a farmable flood plain, then it is often called a "cove".
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Sun comes up about 10 in the mornin'
Sun goes down about 3 in the day...
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Of which?
View Quote
Where your dad grew up would be cool.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Spent a lot of time in Betsy Layne and Harold is the early 70's.  Went up in the hollers back then to get shine.  Better know which one to go up, have a 4WD, and where to stop. Looking up the hill next to the shack you could see the chronological life of junk piling up, starting at the top with turn of century stuff to the bottom with ringer washers and actual ice boxes, cars and pickups from multiple decades strewn around.  The people were always friendly though, if they knew you.  If they didn't they were very cautious, very.
View Quote
My aunt's old address was Betsy Layne. Now its changed to Pikeville even though she hasn't moved. You want to see some rough country, drive past her house down into John's Creek.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Where your dad grew up would be cool.
View Quote
I'll ask him when I see him. I dont know of any pics, but he does have some 8mm film somewhere.

ETA: I can try to describe it. Dad is 76, his family was the last to leave when he was about 15. All buildings were log and rough lumber and rotted away. The "road" crisscrosses the creek several times and is about 2 miles long. Grandpa only claimed to own a small part in the back, but they used the whole thing. Some large corporation now owns it for timber and mineral rights, but the locals still use it for hunting. I was there twice in 2002. The grave yards weren't typical. Two or 3 graves on one hill, 2 or 3 more at the bottom of another, etc. They were poor so most only had little plaques. It took dad a few tries to remember and find them. We made headstones out of concrete and hauled them in on 4 wheelers. If not, even the plaques would probably have vanished by now. Lots of mature trees and steep hillsides with some kudzu thrown in for good measure. Rattlesnakes and Copperheads everywhere. Dad said it was a dangerous place to play as a child who didnt own shoes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'll ask him when I see him. I dont know of any pics, but he does have some 8mm film somewhere.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#49]
We'd call it a draw.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#50]
It's where people actually know how to fix their own shit, grow their own food, and are armed to the teeth.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top