Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 7/29/2017 7:58:51 AM EDT
Time for another Tesla fight in GD?  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-model-3-arrives-as-elon-musk-tries-to-manage-expectations-1501234208

Normally, a car company sets up their assembly line, starts doing a very low rate production of test mules, and then drives them on the road for close to a year while debugging the design and manufacturing.  Tesla hasn't even finished taking delivery or installing all of the robots to build the Model 3.  The assembly line isn't near complete.  These 30 cars they delivered last night are hand built.  They've been "sold" to Tesla employees to begin road testing.  This is not a "beginning of production" or "first delivery celebration."  It's a show to keep up the hype.

Still $18,000,000,000 in debt.
Still burning around $1,000,000,000/year just to keep the lights on.
Still underspending on CAPEX guidance by billions of dollars.
Still $0.00 in operating profit to date.
Four quarters since they could claim they were supply-constrained.
Nearly 14,000 units in inventory, representing over $1,500,000,000 in capital tied up doing nothing.
Handouts from the feds will begin sunsetting probably in 4Q17.

The cars may be great, but the company is on the road to bankruptcy.  They need to execute nearly perfectly AND get very lucky to avoid that fate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I could find some pink sheets stocks with better fundamentals.  

But it pays to be in bed with the government.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#2]
negative CA is going to bail them out....
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#3]
So where are the pictures of the 14,000 units in inventory? They have to be sitting somewhere.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#4]
In for the GD stock experts to voice their opinion on cars and a company they know nothing about.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
it would not surprise me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Even though the text of the bailout bill in the CA Assembly is written to specifically benefit Tesla, the handouts are only worth about $3,000,000,000.  California could directly hand over that money to Tesla today and it wouldn't meaningfully affect Tesla's odds of going bankrupt.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Even though the text of the bailout bill in the CA Assembly is written to specifically benefit Tesla, the handouts are only worth about $3,000,000,000.  California could directly hand over that money to Tesla today and it wouldn't meaningfully affect Tesla's odds of going bankrupt.
View Quote
huh?

Going off what OP said, that sounds like it should keep them good for about 3 years.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So where are the pictures of the 14,000 units in inventory? They have to be sitting somewhere.

Kharn
View Quote
You can see them in Tesla's quarterly reports, their conference calls, and their SEC filings.

Cars produced - cars delivered - cars in transit = inventory build.

Follow that for several quarters and you see the huge cumulative inventory build.  Tesla and Musk themselves admit that they're building huge amounts of inventory.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll play......
That's the same way production started for model s and model x
It's how tesla rolls. It's a different car company.

There have been test miles on the road for 6 months or so. If you want pics I'll put up a like to a forum of sighting.

It was announced over a year ago that employees would have first dibs on them.

It was announced 6-8 months ago the expected monthly production numbers.
A few the first month
A hundred or so second month
A thousand or so next then rolling in to full production.

None of this is a surprise. It was all planned this way and stated so a good while ago.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/exclusive-tesla-model-3-first-drive-review/

There's the link to mototrends first drive
Not too shabby
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kharn
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2017/03/06/here-is-what-we-know-about-teslas-big-china-bonanza/#4c6bb0674cd7

That would leave some 1.440 Tesla cars sitting somewhere in China, unsold.

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
huh?

Going off what OP said, that sounds like it should keep them good for about 3 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
huh?

They need to spend money on things besides keeping the lights on.  Car manufacturing may the most capital intensive business man participates in.

When you lose money on every car you build, and when the specific causes for why your company loses money on every car it makes get worse at scale, it really doesn't matter what cash you have on hand.  You need to fix the company to keep from going bankrupt.  In addition Tesla needs, very conservatively, $10B-$15B for CAPEX in the next 5 years to get to the scale where their own estimates show that they can make their first penny of profit from selling a car.  Their bonds are rated as junk, based on the interest rates required to issue them; at last reporting their revolving credit line was 80% maxed out; and after their last dilutive share issue earlier this year they had somewhere between $2B-$4B cash on hand.

Put simply, they're in dire financial straights with only a small chance of deliverance.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#12]
GD has assured me that Tesla will be the biggest and greatest car company ever, ever.  
Tesla's new model of not turning a profit is the best model ever for a business.  
Elon Musk is the second coming of Christ.  
Absolutely no tax money, or credits, are used as an incentive to buy their cars.
Everyone should be able to buy their $100000 Camry sedan.  Go be poor somewhere else.

GD rulings are absolute.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Holy Shit, i wish i could be paid millions to run a corporation that operates with billions in losses.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's how tesla rolls. It's a different car company.
View Quote
It certainly is!  
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Place your bets ladies and gentlemen

Tesla faces major hurdles living up to the Model 3 hype. The 500,000 vehicles Tesla vows to produce next year are nearly six times its 2016 production.

Tesla's share price has surged 54 percent since January in anticipation of the Model 3 launch, and Tesla's pricey valuation now exceeds that of traditional rivals like General Motors Co and Ford Motor Co.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#16]
if they continue to sell after the credits are gone there are going to there are going to be some really angry people here.

They only have about 18,000 vehicles left before it starts phasing out.

So I bought a new office 3 years ago.
Paid just shy of 1 million $ for it.
I made about 195k last year on it.

Last year I was still in the hole about 400k

A drug company puts a billion $ into r&d for a new drug

They sell 2000000  the first 3 years doses a 500k a pop.

There is no profit

We will see if tesla stays......
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
if they continue to sell after the credits are gone there are going to there are going to be some really angry people here.

There is no profit

View Quote
Except, history with Teslas show, everywhere tax credits end sales tank.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There is no profit

View All Quotes
Quoted:

There is no profit

Tesla sales tanked everywhere subsidies were removed. (lol)

Looking outside the US, the Denmark market is also very instructive as to what will likely happen when subsidies are removed. Electric car dealers were spared a 180% import tax, which applied to gasoline-powered cars. When that policy was reversed, sales plunged.
Remarkably, Tesla's sales were hit even harder than the rest, registering a drop of 93%!

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There is no profit

View Quote
[youtube]https://youtu.be/TL7xrE9EYd4[/youtube]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Tesla can certainly claim credit for broadening the appeal of electric vehicles and is the brand to follow.

However, if the Model 3 rollout isn't near flawless, it will be the catalyst that propels the stock much lower.

So far, shorts lost billions and were positioned on the wrong side of the trade, as Tesla doesn't trade on normal valuations - making it dangerous to short, but also too expensive for value investors.

However, many hurdles exist and some may increase: ramp up of ev's by mass production experienced competitors, Tesla's transition from custom build to mass production, excess inventory, unforeseen qc issues - almost guarantee major glitches or erosion of market share will happen in the coming years.

I believe it will take six months or longer to see a substantive negative trend to develop that impacts the share price.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I wonder how SolarCity is doing?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Lectric cars just ain't ready yet and unless a new and much greater battery technology is developed, they never will be mainstream.  Go gas.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Know what makes an unprofitable company profitable quickly?

A government mandate.

With several countries in Europe stating they will phase out sales of gasoline powered cars, I bet California isn't too far behind in implementing similar legislation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Tesla Sold Zero Cars In Hong Kong After The Govt Stopped Subsiding Them

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/11/tesla-sold-zero-cars-in-hong-kong-after-the-govt-stopped-subsiding-them/

"Tesla cars registered in Hong Kong plummeted from nearly 3,000 in the month of March to zero in April after the government cut a tax break for electric cars April 1, The Wall Street Journal reports.

Registration numbers are the best datasets available to approximate actual cars sold in the country, since a new car in Hong Kong must be registered to be sold. Neither Hong Kong nor Tesla publish real numbers of Tesla cars sold in the country.

After Hong Kong authorities trashed the tax break, the price of a basic Tesla Model S four-door car in the country to rose nearly 60 percent from around $75,000 to $130,000, according to TheWSJ.

Overall, the price of Tesla cars in Hong Kong rose almost 100 percent, a Tesla representative told Business Insider."
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Without a Democratic Party controlled White House and congress willing to subsidize and/or legislate Tesla ownership; Musk's sitting on a bomb.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Tesla sells more large luxury cars in the US than any other manufacturer, and GD thinks they have a problem with demand.  Their problem is trying to scale production at insane levels, not with getting people to buy their cars.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There is no profit

View All Quotes
Quoted:

There is no profit

Tesla has negative margins BEFORE capex and r&d.  Simply building cars on existing tooling and delivering them to customers causes them to lose money.  

The correct analogy for your office you built could be something like this:

The faulty wiring in the office causes a lot of current leaks, and my electricity bill is $210k a year.
Get it?  In that analogy, just like with Tesla, simply operating your core business causes you to lose money, regardless of your capital expenses (the office's mortgage).  

Tesla is not a company "plowing profits back into the business in order to grow."  They pay for capex and R&D through debt, and they pay to continue producing cars through debt because, again, simply building and delivering cars makes them lose money.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tesla sells more large luxury cars in the US than any other manufacturer, and GD thinks they have a problem with demand.  Their problem is trying to scale production at insane levels, not with getting people to buy their cars.
View Quote
In that case, since the cars are selling so damned well, end the government buyer tax credit subsidies immediately.

Why should some working class schmoe have to subsidize the purchasers of what you, yourself, admit are "luxury cars"?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Time for another Tesla fight in GD?  

These 30 cars they delivered last night are hand built.  .
View Quote

aren't they all "hand built"?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Elon Musk: The Preston Tucker of the 21st Century.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#31]
If electric cars are so awesome, stop giving people tax credits for buying them, stop giving the corporations that make them taxpayer money, and stop using government and taxpayer money to build charging stations everywhere and then require a major credit card to purchase electricity for charging these fucking things. Also remove all exemptions for HOV lanes and other perks.

If electric cars are such a great idea, they don't need to government propping them up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tesla can certainly claim credit for broadening the appeal of electric vehicles and is the brand to follow.

However, if the Model 3 rollout isn't near flawless, it will be the catalyst that propels the stock much lower.

So far, shorts lost billions and were positioned on the wrong side of the trade, as Tesla doesn't trade on normal valuations - making it dangerous to short, but also too expensive for value investors.

However, many hurdles exist and some may increase: ramp up of ev's by mass production experienced competitors, Tesla's transition from custom build to mass production, excess inventory, unforeseen qc issues - almost guarantee major glitches or erosion of market share will happen in the coming years.

I believe it will take six months or longer to see a substantive negative trend to develop that impacts the share price.
View Quote
Long dated puts.   
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
The problem is, unlike Tesla, the other luxury car manufacturers know how to make a profit on the vehicles they sell.  Hell, they do it without taxpayer subsidized purchase incentives.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Elon Musk: proving crony capitalism works only when the crony exceeds the capitalism.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, Tesla sells about a quarter of the luxury cars in the US, and more than any other single manufacturer.  This is a part of the market with good margins because buyers are not very cost sensitive and they want cars optioned out, and yet Tesla still loses money on every luxury car it sells.

To the second point, they do have a problem getting people to buy their cars.  Model S sales have been flat for 7 quarters.  Model X sales have been flat for 4 quarters.  Tesla runs its factory at less than 1/4 the run rate that the previous owners did.  And inventory continues to build every quarter.  By every definition Tesla is having problems getting people to buy their cars, even with the government paying $7500 of the cost.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes, Tesla sells about a quarter of the luxury cars in the US, and more than any other single manufacturer.  This is a part of the market with good margins because buyers are not very cost sensitive and they want cars optioned out, and yet Tesla still loses money on every luxury car it sells.

To the second point, they do have a problem getting people to buy their cars.  Model S sales have been flat for 7 quarters.  Model X sales have been flat for 4 quarters.  Tesla runs its factory at less than 1/4 the run rate that the previous owners did.  And inventory continues to build every quarter.  By every definition Tesla is having problems getting people to buy their cars, even with the government taxpayers paying $7500 of the cost.
View Quote
Lets keep it real.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#37]
In before Amazon acquires Tesla!
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In that case, since the cars are selling so damned well, end the government buyer tax credit subsidies immediately.

Why should some working class schmoe have to subsidize the purchasers of what you, yourself, admit are "luxury cars"?
View Quote
Sure, go ahead.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Prototype builds like this among OEMs are almost always done in secrecy.  You know what a company does when it's desperate?   Start advertising that they are building something that is nowhere near production ready.  I've seen it happen before in companies I worked for shorty before they failed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They need to spend money on things besides keeping the lights on.  Car manufacturing may the most capital intensive business man participates in.

When you lose money on every car you build, and when the specific causes for why your company loses money on every car it makes get worse at scale, it really doesn't matter what cash you have on hand.  You need to fix the company to keep from going bankrupt.  In addition Tesla needs, very conservatively, $10B-$15B for CAPEX in the next 5 years to get to the scale where their own estimates show that they can make their first penny of profit from selling a car.  Their bonds are rated as junk, based on the interest rates required to issue them; at last reporting their revolving credit line was 80% maxed out; and after their last dilutive share issue earlier this year they had somewhere between $2B-$4B cash on hand.

Put simply, they're in dire financial straights with only a small chance of deliverance.
View Quote
Right

But it sounds like .gov will help them keep rolling.

When 3B is done they'll just pass another bill.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If electric cars are so awesome, stop giving people tax credits for buying them, stop giving the corporations that make them taxpayer money, and stop using government and taxpayer money to build charging stations everywhere and then require a major credit card to purchase electricity for charging these fucking things. Also remove all exemptions for HOV lanes and other perks.

If electric cars are such a great idea, they don't need to government propping them up.
View Quote
Very well said.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
huh?

Very true. 

Tesla timed this Model 3 release a few days before their earnings release.  That certainly wasn't a coincidence. 
I'm sure Tesla will announce another loss - around $2.00/share this time.  But Tesla doesn't care about profits - they're only worried about cool cars and robots. 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

To the second point, they do have a problem getting people to buy their cars.  Model S sales have been flat for 7 quarters.  Model X sales have been flat for 4 quarters.  Tesla runs its factory at less than 1/4 the run rate that the previous owners did.  And inventory continues to build every quarter.  By every definition Tesla is having problems getting people to buy their cars, even with the government paying $7500 of the cost.
View Quote
Post the same numbers for any of the other luxury car models.

I'm not some rabid Tesla fan-they have tons of problems, and managing inventory is one of them, but overall demand, or brand interest, is not a problem.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Tesla Sold Zero Cars In Hong Kong After The Govt Stopped Subsiding Them

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/11/tesla-sold-zero-cars-in-hong-kong-after-the-govt-stopped-subsiding-them/

"Tesla cars registered in Hong Kong plummeted from nearly 3,000 in the month of March to zero in April after the government cut a tax break for electric cars April 1, The Wall Street Journal reports.

Registration numbers are the best datasets available to approximate actual cars sold in the country, since a new car in Hong Kong must be registered to be sold. Neither Hong Kong nor Tesla publish real numbers of Tesla cars sold in the country.

After Hong Kong authorities trashed the tax break, the price of a basic Tesla Model S four-door car in the country to rose nearly 60 percent from around $75,000 to $130,000, according to TheWSJ.

Overall, the price of Tesla cars in Hong Kong rose almost 100 percent, a Tesla representative told Business Insider."
View Quote
The impact of tax break loss is much less on a 33k car than a 130k car for the typical buyer in each market. Musk has played it brilliantly and built a brand with taxpayer money which can now go down market with a marquee name.

For those pointing out lack if profit, I direct your attention to the history of Amazon and Google.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those figures are also a bit misleading. The big 3 (Mercedes, BMW, Audi) make most of their money off of their midsize and compact luxury cars (think c-class and e-class) which are not included in those comparisons. Comparing sales numbers of a $70k or $80k Tesla model S to a $100k+ s class doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#46]
"Yawn"...
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Very true. 

Tesla timed this Model 3 release a few days before their earnings release.  That certainly wasn't a coincidence. 
I'm sure Tesla will announce another loss - around $2.00/share this time.  But Tesla doesn't care about profits - they're only worried about cool cars and robots. 
View Quote
Not too late to short it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

For those pointing out lack if profit, I direct your attention to the history of Amazon and Google.
View Quote
I've already explained this, several times in several Tesla threads, and at least twice already in this thread, but I'll explain it again.

Tesla builds a car and sells it.  They make a gross profit because they sold the car for more than the cost of labor and materials.
Amazon buys a widget and sells it.  Amazon makes a gross profit because they sold the widget for more than what they bought it for.

Tesla delivers the car to its buyer.  Tesla now has an operating loss because their SG&A costs are more than their gross profits.
Amazon delivers the widget to its buyer.  Amazon now has an operating profit because their SG&A costs are less than their gross profits.

Tesla then pays for CAPEX and R&D.  Tesla does this out of cash raised by issuing debt or by doing another round of dillutive share sales.
Amazon then pays for CAPEX and R&D.  Amazon does this out of their operating profits from selling widgets.

Tesla grows by going further into debt.  Debt that will either need to be repaid or discharged in bankruptcy.
Amazon grows by plowing profits back into the business.

Tesla shows a net loss on the bottom line of the income statement.
Amazon shows nearly $0 on the bottom line of the income statement.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Ok
So tesla has 400,000 preorders
Let's see how many cancel
The credit in the US will be gone by the s of the year most likely
How many do you think are going to cancel their orders?
We will see
I was told tesla would be out of business in 2014
Then 2015, then 2016,
I was told the stock would be sub 100$ by this point

My firm does 10,000 tax returns
I can tell you that a fair number of people can't even use the credit
A very high number of them can't use the whole credit.
You have to have at least a 7500$ tax liability.
We will see
So far all of the tesla naysayers have been wrong
All of them.
I still think it's 50/50 depending on reliability of model 3
Institutional holders own a bunch of the stock
They think tesla is here to stay
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#50]
In about eight years when you have to replace the batteries, you are looking at anywhere between $14,000-$18,000 according to most estimates I have read. That will be a bitter pill for the $35,000 market to swallow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top