Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Texas_hurricanes_(1980%E2%80%93present)

From 1980 to the present, at least 70 tropical or subtropical cyclones affected the U.S. state of Texas. According to David Roth of the Weather Prediction Center, a tropical cyclone makes landfall along the coastline about three times every four years, and on any 50 mi (80 km) segment of the coastline a hurricane makes landfall about once every six years.

View Quote
And how many people freeze to death every year in Michigan after a freak winter storm
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
All the while.........the generators sit on the shelf in Kentucky.  

A guy should take the risk of buying a bunch of generators, rent a truck, and run them down to TX and claim the typical $10 profit with selling a generator.  Are you guys really this dense?  Damn........let folks run supplies down to TX and earn a few bucks......it's a WIN-WIN.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Have to find the story of the guy in Kentucky who (after a hurricane in Texas) decided to buy a bunch of generators in KY, drive down to TX and sell them at a 50% markup.

People with a clue call that free enterprise and filling a need.   The cops called it "gouging" and arrested him.    

Retarded.  And I'll bet that attorney general calls himself "conservative".  This kind of thing among many others is why that term is now purely marketing bullshit.    
Taking financial advantage of people in a disaster or emergency situation is gouging. It's not capitalism.
Fucker should have died a slow, painful death just because of his morals.
All the while.........the generators sit on the shelf in Kentucky.  

A guy should take the risk of buying a bunch of generators, rent a truck, and run them down to TX and claim the typical $10 profit with selling a generator.  Are you guys really this dense?  Damn........let folks run supplies down to TX and earn a few bucks......it's a WIN-WIN.
It's not like those are the only generators left in the world.
Don't think for a minute that Home Depot, Lowes etc don't have some ordered and in the pipeline.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

LOL
He didn't do that out of generosity or care.
He saw an opportunity to take financial advantage of folks in a bad situation.
View Quote
One person makes a nice profit and another gets what he/she desperately needs. Win win for all....why are you so opposed to freedom?

North Korea has price controls...how's their supply situation?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Capitalism is not taking advantage of people financially after a disaster.
Stay the fuck home with your overpriced generators you goddammed Yankees.
We will get by just fine until a local merchant brings some in and sells them for their normal everyday price.
View Quote
Ok. Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
you get an F
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Have to find the story of the guy in Kentucky who (after a hurricane in Texas) decided to buy a bunch of generators in KY, drive down to TX and sell them at a 50% markup.

People with a clue call that free enterprise and filling a need.   The cops called it "gouging" and arrested him.    

Retarded.  And I'll bet that attorney general calls himself "conservative".  This kind of thing among many others is why that term is now purely marketing bullshit.    
Taking financial advantage of people in a disaster or emergency situation is gouging. It's not capitalism.
Wait he should have DIED for providing a SERVICE to TEXAS? and he is the one with moral issues? for fucks sake your advocating slow death on someone for providing what they failed to provide themselves.

Were the people of Texas better or worse off after he provided them the opportunity to purchase generators that were not previously there?
If he hadn't been there would more or less people in Texas have generators?

not to mention 50% mark up really wasn't that outrageous given his time, initial investment, fuel, food and lodging on his trip. I would be surprised if he broke even at 50% markup.
LOL
you get an F
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I always get a kick out of the AK  posters.
AK is about 92% owned by non-Alaskan entities. The amount privately held is just a piece of 90+% privately-owned TX.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's funny, I have a place in both states. Alaska is definitely bigger, and definitely infused with more liberals and social parasites expressed as a percentage of the population.
I always get a kick out of the AK  posters.
AK is about 92% owned by non-Alaskan entities. The amount privately held is just a piece of 90+% privately-owned TX.
Largest land owner in AK is the state. The second largest is the federal government. The largest employer in the state is the state. I love Alaska its a beautiful place. Once you get away from the population centers where there is epidemic levels of drug and alcohol abuse there are some good people. There are more murders per capita in Anchorage than in Chicago.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They call it "hurricane season" for a reason - DC to Brownsville - and it should not be a surprise when your town's turn comes up. If people put off preps due to normalcy bias, that is their fault.

Supply costs dont determine price - the market does. Go ask the owner of a transferable M16 who bought it in '75 if supply cost is his determining price factor. Gas and water work the same exact way.

The need for water and gasoline is EXACTLY the point - in an emergency, the supply is bottlenecked. Keeping the price low (by force of law), simply allows the supply to dwindle FASTER and forces people who need it more to compete with people who need it less because everyone is paying the same price.

Prices are a SIGNAL to the market that the consumer wants more of something quickly. Without that, you end up with this:

http://auto-kinesis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/hurricane-sandy-gasoline-crisisjpg-59c437ba64e1c006.jpg

But, when you let price signal the market and give the market the freedom to expand rapidly beyond the capacity of the incumbent sellers, you get this:

https://cdn.patchcdn.com/users/112961/2011/08/T600x450/f6412b0ed15f7a08146186d5018f8580.jpg

That's not a "dangerous position". That's improving the human condition exactly at the time that customers need it, want it, and are willing to pay for it.

Which is more moral?

1. The person who drops their current income stream, sinks capital into inventory and ventures out into an unknown market and risks it all to bring people what they want at the exact point in time when their human survival requires it.
-or-
2. The person who writes a law that guarantees shortages will not be filled and more people suffer longer, regardless of their willingness to pay.
View Quote
I don't like that law.  BUT IF IT ONLY WORKED LIKE THAT REAL WORLD.  

You get trailer park FSA that want to start wars over the price of milk.  And in a time of need when emergency services are stretched to thin to help shop owner charging his price, what happens?  Shop owners get beat up and shot and their goods taken.

More laws are not the answer.  But just know you little photo project is not the way it happens in real life in S. Texas or in other places I have seen video of.  

More laws are not the answer, letting the market sort itself out is.  This is sometimes done at gun point.  If you got that under control, bring down your trailer full of generators and go to selling I do not care.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's not like those are the only generators left in the world.
Don't think for a minute that Home Depot, Lowes etc don't have some ordered and in the pipeline.
View Quote
Then why were people buying them out of the back of a truck?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When it is posted in the affirmative of the idea in a thread it tends to come off that way.

A whole lot of us posting in here are defending Texas for the sake.  Because there are a metric ton of threads that go, TEXAS SUCKS BECAUSE..... without anybody precipitating any ill will to begin with.

If you aren't bitching about or at Texans.....

Stupid laws are stupid laws, they are sometimes hard to get rid of.

***And in complete intellectual honesty...Serious question, should somebody be allowed to yell FIRE in a crowded theater because of free speech?
View Quote
Yes.  Absolutely.  Especially if the theater is on fire.

If not ...

Theater has every right to ban you for doing so, and any party harmed by so doing should be able to file a tort.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One person makes a nice profit and another gets what he/she desperately needs. Win win for all....why are you so opposed to freedom?

View Quote
So now we're communists because we have a law attempting to protect people who have suffered from a disaster? These folks are going to have enough financial burden to deal with without having to pay higher prices for everything across the board. Why should the cost of living go up 4-5-6-10x? Just so some "capitalists" can make a little extra money?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If not ...

Theater has every right to ban you for doing so, and any party harmed by so doing should be able to file a tort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When it is posted in the affirmative of the idea in a thread it tends to come off that way.

A whole lot of us posting in here are defending Texas for the sake.  Because there are a metric ton of threads that go, TEXAS SUCKS BECAUSE..... without anybody precipitating any ill will to begin with.

If you aren't bitching about or at Texans.....

Stupid laws are stupid laws, they are sometimes hard to get rid of.

***And in complete intellectual honesty...Serious question, should somebody be allowed to yell FIRE in a crowded theater because of free speech?

If not ...

Sounds good to me.

I wasn't asking you, but cool anyway.

Just curious though, what happens if you don't have shinola and 50 people got life changing injuries because of your carelessness.  You cannot afford to pay for their care?  What happens with the tort?
Who pays for the 30 of those 50 people who had inadequate insurance for their injuries?  Through now fault of their own they were injured in a stampede?

@Rick-OShay
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#12]
This. In this thread we learn who doesn't understand price mechanisms.
Quoted:
Absolutely this. 

Also, for good measure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The market decides the prices.

"Price gouging" is bullshit.

Stock up, plan ahead, or be subject to market fluctuations.

Supply becomes difficult in times of crisis, and there needs to be a financial incentive for people to provide services in a crisis.

Furthermore, it can help separate people who want from people who need.

Snow shovels cost more in winter than summer.

When flights are canceled, rental cars cost more.
Absolutely this. 

Also, for good measure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So now we're communists because we have a law attempting to protect people who have suffered from a disaster? These folks are going to have enough financial burden to deal with without having to pay higher prices for everything across the board. Why should the cost of living go up 4-5-6-10x? Just so some "capitalists" can make a little extra money?
View Quote
Yes. Communists love price controls.

It HAS been explained. High prices encourage the flow of goods to affected areas. Artificially low prices for the time slow the flow of goods.

If high prices bother you personally, then buy what you need to survive in advance and you won't be paying the high prices.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes, it did. I remember it being discussed right here in GD. And of course, the authorities confiscated the generators, so nobody got them. But hey, at least they prevented people from being gouged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly.
People with a clue call that free enterprise and filling a need.   The cops called it "gouging" and arrested him.    Retarded.  And I'll bet that attorney general calls himself "conservative".  
This kind of thing among many others is why that term is now purely marketing bullshit.    
Holy crap, did that really happen?
Yes, it did. I remember it being discussed right here in GD. And of course, the authorities confiscated the generators, so nobody got them. But hey, at least they prevented people from being gouged.
In my state, the AG set up a hotline, broadcast it on tv, radio, and social media, and encouraged the public to drop a dime on any and all suspected offenders.

How did the public respond? My Facebook feed showed a bunch of neighbors contacting the state to report that their local gas station increased their price on 87 octane by 10 cents. After which, supply ran out and everyone sat on their moral high horse at home because they couldnt find gas anymore.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sounds good to me.

Just curious though, what happens if you don't have shinola and 50 people got life changing injuries because of your carelessness.  You cannot afford to pay for their care?  What happens with the tort?
View Quote
My bad.  I did not get that it was as specifically directed question, and thought it was a general one.  I apologize.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how are you protecting people if they can't get the products that they need at ANY price?

there are going to be a lot CPAP-using Houstonians dying this weekend once the power goes out
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My bad.  I did not get that it was as specifically directed question, and thought it was a general one.  I apologize.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds good to me.

I am sorry for coming across snarky.  In my mind I did not mean it that way.  Just asking a series of difficult questions for pondering.

And I am happy to engage with you also.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We will get by just fine until a local merchant brings some in and sells them for their normal everyday price.
View Quote
In other words, you're happy to let people go without rather than let those who can afford it pay a price to those who are willing to provide the goods in demand.  In your fantasy scenario the only time those goods will be sold at a "normal everyday price" is after the crisis has passed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

how are you protecting people if they can't get the products that they need at ANY price?

there are going to be a lot CPAP-using Houstonians dying this weekend once the power goes out
View Quote
But our caring anti freedom protesters are ok with that.

We have been told in this thread that Texans don't need help and will figure this out on their own.

So get the popcorn and watch the show....from your TV in the comfort of your non hurricane damaged home
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In other words, you're happy to let people go without rather than let those who can afford it pay a price to those who are willing to provide the goods in demand.  In your fantasy scenario the only time those goods will be sold at a "normal everyday price" is after the crisis has passed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He makes a point later on.  And he is right.  Home Depot and Lowes and generators in the pipeline and it is doubtful those who can pay will go without.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sounds good to me.

Who pays for the 30 of those 50 people who had inadequate insurance for their injuries?  Through now fault of their own they were injured in a stampede?

@Rick-OShay
View Quote
Same thing that happens now when an uninsured illegal runs a bus of the road and 50 people get life changing injuries.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In my state, the AG set up a hotline, broadcast it on tv, radio, and social media, and encouraged the public to drop a dime on any and all suspected offenders.

How did the public respond? My Facebook feed showed a bunch of neighbors contacting the state to report that their local gas station increased their price on 87 octane by 10 cents. After which, supply ran out and everyone sat on their moral high horse at home because they couldnt find gas anymore.
View Quote
But that was a good thing right? No one was paying excessive prices to those mean business owners.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Same thing that happens now when an uninsured illegal runs a bus of the road and 50 people get life changing injuries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds good to me.

@Rick-OShay
Well what is that?  What happens?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And how many people freeze to death every year in Michigan after a freak winter storm
View Quote
The unprepared ones perhaps.

However, Michigan citizens are used to bad storms so most are prepared. If only those in hurricane prone areas did so too.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He makes a point later on.  And he is right.  Home Depot and Lowes and generators in the pipeline and it is doubtful those who can pay will go without.
View Quote
But there were people who were willing to pay and can afford to have it RFN, instead of waiting for Home Depot or Lowes, and you are telling them they can't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
But there were people who were willing to pay and can afford to have it RFN, instead of waiting for Home Depot or Lowes, and you are telling them they can't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is the point, people coming in from out of state are not going to have any more notice than Home Depot and Lowes.  I am not sure where your logic is on this, but the people who can afford them RFN when get them as soon as they are available.  

And by all means bring in your out of state generators for sale.  I am not opposed to that at all.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

However, Michigan citizens are used to bad storms so most are prepared. If only those in hurricane prone areas did so too.....
View Quote
I was prepared for four days without power at -20F temps with a one month old infant in the house.  Strangely, no "gouging" laws required.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#28]
There is a simple lesson people can learn living near water, prep ahead...

My genset ran on diesel, my truck and tractor, diesel, 300gal tank of off road stored for the 3.

House had a well and ac, genset ran both easily so water was covered.

Dry and canned food is dirt cheap and can be rotated during the year.

All my prep minus the truck, tractor, genset was under 1k including the 300gal of diesel and it's enough for 4 people for a month.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was prepared for four days without power at -20F temps with a one month old infant in the house.  Strangely, no "gouging" laws required.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure about that.  You are looking for   445.903(1)(z)

Michigan price gouging law, very broad not just declared emergencies.

@bikedamon maybe the law protected you without you knowing.

AGAIN I STRESS I AM FOR A FREE MARKET NOT MORE LAWS.  I am also anti hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
My point was it never came up, the AG or governor or mayors were never on TV threatening about it, there was no wailing or gnashing of teeth, etc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Wait he should have DIED for providing a SERVICE to TEXAS? and he is the one with moral issues? for fucks sake your advocating slow death on someone for providing what they failed to provide themselves.

Were the people of Texas better or worse off after he provided them the opportunity to purchase generators that were not previously there?
If he hadn't been there would more or less people in Texas have generators?

not to mention 50% mark up really wasn't that outrageous given his time, initial investment, fuel, food and lodging on his trip. I would be surprised if he broke even at 50% markup.
LOL
It doesn't matter what HIS intentions are. Did more or less people have generators and other supplies that otherwise would not have existed if it weren't for him?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My point was it never came up, the AG or governor or mayors were never on TV threatening about it, there was no wailing or gnashing of teeth, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MY POINT IS....Maybe you were protected because it was already in place prior to knowing anything about it.  Maybe it has already been hashed out before you were even an adult with a kid.  Maybe it is the way it is because of the law you didn't even know about?

I do not know.  I am not here posting how I didn't need that law though.  

Law was enacted in 1976, were you alive then?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That is the point, people coming in from out of state are not going to have any more notice than Home Depot and Lowes.  I am not sure where your logic is on this, but the people who can afford them RFN when get them as soon as they are available.  

And by all means bring in your out of state generators for sale.  I am not opposed to that at all.
View Quote
Sorry, I was in general responding to the previous "fuck you Yankees and your generators" post and the article about the guy getting arrested for selling generators.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The mere opportunity to "price gouge" attracts outside resources to a disaster area.  

If we had any ability to think beyond one level as a species we'd welcome it with open arms.  People in butt fuck North Dakota don't load up their truck with essentials and drive halfway across the country to a disaster zone just to sell at retail price.  They stay home and watch it unfold on TV.

Why not use the profit motive to our advantage to drive men and resources to where it's needed most?  It's not like doing this prevents charities and governmental organizations from doing it for free.  

I'm not even getting started on how high prices encourage conservation and prevents waste.  
View Quote
In two of the three states I've weathered hurricanes in the locals go out of their way to go to the places where supplies are available and return with them and sell them at reasonable prices.  So excuse me if I don't give a fuck thatbthe guy in North Dakota doesn't get to make a killing off of people undergoing extreme hardship. 
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Funny how people claim to be freedom loving capitalists until it's time for freedom and capitalism to do it's thing.  

Anti gouging laws are un American.  

There will be all sorts of charitable organizations to help Americans help their fellow American.  But to deny a person the ability to purchase a product from another person for a price that they agree upon is the epitome of a nanny state and counter productive.  The Governor should be encouraging enterprising individuals to load up trucks full of water and generators and head to Texas.  That is how you keep the supply up and the prices reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My comments were directed towards people defending such laws.

I don't care what state they're in.  I hate the law here in VA, I hate it in TX.

Will you accept my explanation of my intentions rather than believing you know what I'm thinking better than I do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It went over your head....  Explained in subsequent post.  Ignoring your own states laws while shit posting is another level of discourse the shows how screwed we are.

Ever heard of sweeping your own back porch?
My comments were directed towards people defending such laws.

I don't care what state they're in.  I hate the law here in VA, I hate it in TX.

Will you accept my explanation of my intentions rather than believing you know what I'm thinking better than I do?
Very few here defending the law. I think most all agree that while gouging is unscrupulous it should not be illegal.

The defense is in regards to dim witted dildos who wish to assign the qualification of liberty/no liberty based on one law, at least some of which are casting stones from inside their house of glass. Moreover the unilateral masturbatory fantasy among them based on their hate of all things Texas to include innocent people who are about to get their lives swept away by a storm that is impossible to defend against or prepare for effectively is disgusting.

ARFCOM, even GD which has long been the bastion of retards has slipped to new levels of low.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Screw your gouger buddies! Texas rocks! Since you're ashamed of and hide your state, I'm guessing California or New Jersey.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter what HIS intentions are. Did more or less people have generators and other supplies that otherwise would not have existed if it weren't for him?
View Quote
Get outta here with your logic and facts. Feelings are what matters
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
The law didn't protect me without knowing - I had already taken steps far in advance to have everything I'd need for the eventuality because I knew that while small, there was a risk.  Had I raced out to find kerosene fuel or heaters, a genny or firewood and found them available at normal everyday prices during the crisis I could see how that would be the law protecting me but that was not the case.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Supply and demand for the win, but screwing people in need is bullshit. I hope gougers are shot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here how that plays out:
1. Your "local merchant" is just as screwed as everyone else. His regional distributors now have bulk orders coming in by the hour, so unless your local merchant was a bulk order guy before, he isnt moving to the front of the line now. And, he doesnt want to be at the front of the line, because his store, his home, his family, his employees are all trying to dig out from under whatever the storm did to them. Selling a few generators at standard mark up is not a big win for him because he has other, more costly, pressing concerns.
2. If your local merchant is able to open for business, he will sell his existing inventory at the govt fixed price and quickly sell out. Then he will close again while his "emergency" fulfillment order is processed, palletized, and then sits on a regional distributor's dock because 53' dry van space is not available.
3. The lights come back on.
4. Your local merchant's emergency order of generators arrives and he spends the next two years trying to sell them at any margin at all.

That's how that plays out. Ask me how I know. Hurricane experience in 4 states now (including my native Texas) and the privilege of working at a "local merchant" through tropical and winter storms. I wish you could have heard the phone calls and walk up customers during these times: "Do you have any generators/chainsaws/2stroke/gas cans/etc? No? Do you know who does? We have to have one and price is not an issue. Are you sure you dont have one in back? A demo or floor model? We will pay double. How long til they come in? That's too long."

I own guns because I need to protect myself from two kinds of people - those who wish me harm and those who think they know what's best for me and willing to use force to accomplish it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sorry, I was in general responding to the previous "fuck you Yankees and your generators" post and the article about the guy getting arrested for selling generators.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am good and not offended.  This is a fun back and forth banter with all those(including me) professing to have moral high ground.

My point is there are things in play that we often don't realize or know about.

Your michigan law was enacted in 1976.  Do you think it is possible you made it 4 days in sub freezing weather because that law hashed all that out in 1976, possibly long before you encountered these issues.  

And I say again, I don't think more laws are particularly good.  But there are consequences for certain actions on both sides.  The guy that gets shot for "price gouging".  The people who get trampled because somebody screamed fire.

The people who freeze because a load of generators could not make it into michigan from texas?  ETC.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The law didn't protect me without knowing - I had already taken steps far in advance to have everything I'd need for the eventuality because I knew that while small, there was a risk.  Had I raced out to find kerosene fuel or heaters, a genny or firewood and found them available at normal everyday prices during the crisis I could see how that would be the law protecting me but that was not the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know that law, since it is not a declared emergency law, didn't keep your preps at a lower price on the shelf EVERYDAY?  I say that is entirely possible.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you're selling out of an item in a matter of hours, it's priced too low.
View Quote
Why didn't those capitalists plan better and stock up just like keeps being said if the consumer? I mean a good capitalist would have bought every bit extra while demand is low and undercut the others and made a shit ton of money after a storm.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Supply and demand for the win, but screwing people in need is bullshit. I hope gougers are shot.
View Quote
So you want to kill people who believe in free markets?

Are you ANTIFA?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are sometimes.   Part of the law of the supply and demand.  The guy with the biggest gun wins occasionally.  And where are you then?  

Those screaming no government involvement, and then maybe they want the police when they lose the gun fight?  And I support them, nobody should ever be shot for their pricing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What a lot of people don't understand and I think even more so of the OP is just how fast these things spring forth with little warning.
Example...Tuesday no big deal in Houston.
On Wednesday some concern (I bought water eggs milk fruit etc.)
Thursday it was full on panic at stores as all water was gone..............>
Both vehicles are filled up and I stocked up on some beer tonight.
View Quote
Every morning this week I've stopped and topped off my tank ( I use about 1/4 a day) and interestingly enough even at prestorm pricing there's plenty to go around and the stations me are even refilling their stock.  Weird how without tripling prices things continue onward without shortages.   Yes the lines get long after everyone gets off work but that's about it.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Why didn't those capitalists plan better and stock up just like keeps being said if the consumer? I mean a good capitalist would have bought every bit extra while demand is low and undercut the others and made a shit ton of money after a storm.  
View Quote
That's assumption of risk. If you believe the likelihood of good profit is high, you are more willing to take the risk of storing extra. If you don't see a good profit potential....why take the risk?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Screw your gouger buddies! Texas rocks! Since you're ashamed of and hide your state, I'm guessing California or New Jersey.
View Quote
The ONLY reason I don't list my state is to piss off people from Texas, and it works like a charm.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
LOL, make you're own gas and quit buying ours motherfucker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whenever the gulf has a storm and Texas starts their fucking crying bullshit over nothing.... Our gas goes up to like $4 a gallon. SO YES him calling these lying fucks on out on their bullshit it's more than warranted.

Like they think everyone is so fucking stupid that we dont know we produce more than we use and buy a ton while exporting texas oil on the cheap. We see Opec's press releases saying the US is letting out tankers sit for weeks and we are at 20% production. So before you decide to get your tranny gash in a bunch. Maybe you should idk open a fucking newspaper?

If that storm hits and Texas pulls its normal crying ass bullshit my profits will be FUCKED for the fall season. So will thousands of other commercial fisherman. Are you going to feed my fucking family when I lose 5+ grand a month plus normal over head?  What about all the trucking in this country? Every you buy is moved by truck. tens of thousands of trucks....  

Sorry for the rant but people like you make me want to punch myself in the face. You will probably be the first one to complain that the milk you feed your crotch fruit doubled in price yet have not a fucking clue why.
LOL, make you're own gas and quit buying ours motherfucker.
This
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top