Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/12/2022 4:31:12 PM EDT
This video is worth watching. A Polish girl on a trip from the South of America (Texas) to the North (Alaska). This part covers Texas.

Some of the things she notes as a first time visitor bring back some memories. Particularly the part about everything being built around the car (seems especially true in Texas).
On one of my first visits there, I was attending a conference in Dallas. I was staying in a hotel just across the road from the conference hall, and the hotel had an airport shuttle, so I didn't bother renting a car. I arrived on Sunday, and asked where the nearest ATM was to get some local currency. "There is a bank about half a mile up the road .. that way" was the reply. So I set off to visit the bank ATM. There were no sidewalks on most of the road leading there ... a bit unnerving ... got to the bank and it had several ATMs, all drive-up, not a single one intended for people to just walk up to. So waited for one of the lanes to empty, jumped out onto the road and walked up to the ATM to get my money.

Next morning, I and a couple of other people were looking at the conference center across the road, which road was a six lane, very busy highway, wondering how to get there. I gave up and asked at the hotel reception. "Oh, easy!" she said "Just turn right onto the highway, take the first exit, then left on the bridge to the other side of the highway and it's the first exit coming back this way."
"Hmm... and without a car?" I said. She just looked dumbfounded. "I... have no idea!" she admitted.

We ended up taking a taxi.

Anyway - enjoy seeing Texas through the eyes of a first time visitor:

European's FIRST IMPRESSIONS of TEXAS
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#1]
It's 103 degrees. I'm walking the least amount outside that I have to.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Fancy gates are how Texans flaunt their wealth is what I noticed.

Shit we just stretch some strands hooked to a stick and then use the double loop method.
Maybe some baling twine to lock it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Sigh
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Tejas has the best gas stations.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice good looking thin Polish National vs American ham beast working in the restaurant.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Texas isn't for pedestrians.

Spread the word.

I guess it is a good thing that at one time people were sturdy enough to move from A to B without a sidewalk, or OP wouldn't be able to put OR in his profile.

ETA: I can't remember the last time I was in a hotel that didn't have an ATM (which I wouldn't use anyway)
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
AT 21:35 she finds the Garven Store.

She went right past our deer lease.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#8]
cool

good for her for getting out of the cities and even skipping the interstate and taking farm roads and small highways. thats the best way to meet real people and get a better idea of what a state is like.

and the route from laredo to amarillo barely touches on the best looking parts of texas. i suppose she may have skirted the hill country but she missed the gulf coast and  woods of east texas.   understandable given where she's headed but still a shame
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Cute little babe!

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Don’t like our way of life here in Texas?

Then don’t come here. Stay the fuck home.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#11]
West Texas is cool. Once you get far enough it just looks like modern soulless America.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Texas SUCKS SWEATY BALLS

don't come here, it's HORRIBLE...

STAY AWAY...

there are snakes, stickers, stingers, hogs and rabid cougers and giant tarantulas.
HUGE SPIDERS that will eat your accessory dog.....

BEWARE
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw the vid in the op couple weeks ago and enjoyed it.
saw the most recently released one this am where she is off grid camping in Montana and got bored
as I have become older I tend to lose interest quickly with esoteric ramblings from young adults
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fancy gates are how Texans flaunt their wealth is what I noticed.

Shit we just stretch some strands hooked to a stick and then use the double loop method.
Maybe some baling twine to lock it.
View Quote

if you don't have the bare minimum of your last name initial on your gate you're not even worth knowing
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Daughter and I ate at a Sonic in Pecos last June.
It was 112 degrees outside.
We ended up with a fly in the truck that we managed to sneak into kali.
I love driving around the US.
I love having the daughter come with me even more.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Now that I have watched the video, she should hang around a while.

She can definitely be made into a worthy convert.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm guessing you didn't watch the video?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife is Brazilian and she hates our limited amount of sidewalks and street lights. After 6 years she loves automatic transmission, big vehicles and especially air conditioning and hot showers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I made it through 10 seconds of her spinning around in circles in the RV park. Made me dizzy.

My point stands, if you don’t like it here, stay home. We are full anyway.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Fruit Loops LOL.... She should try Lucky Charms next
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#21]
The first time I went to Texas everyone had always said "things are bigger in Texas."

What they really meant was "things are spread the hell out" and "enjoy your 4 hour drive one way" because a 4 hour drive is actually a quick jaunt in Texas terms.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Ost
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#23]
My first visit to east Texas impressed on me a new level of hot.....and an unbelievable number of Suburbans and Tahoes driving 90+.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The first time I went to Texas everyone had always said "things are bigger in Texas."

What they really meant was "things are spread the hell out" and "enjoy your 4 hour drive one way" because a 4 hour drive is actually a quick jaunt in Texas terms.

View Quote

Ain't a damned thing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what i like about the south

That's What I Like 'Bout the South

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My first visit to east Texas impressed on me a new level of hot.....and an unbelievable number of Suburbans and Tahoes driving 90+.
View Quote

Here's hoping you made it home, wherever that is.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Business...acumen...is...upside-down...retarded...in...Texas....

If...you're...used...to...well...managed...wealth...in...Florida,...seeing...Texas..."fuck...you"...oil...money...is...on...par...with...Saudi...prince...spending...habits....
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only thing I couldn’t figure out is how everytime we left our condo the gps sent us one way and then coming back we would come from the other side.
And the milage and time was always the same on both routes no matter where we went.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#29]
If you don't have a car, you need a mountain bike. That way you can hop curbs and navigate all the terrain hostile to walking or road bikes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
cool

good for her for getting out of the cities and even skipping the interstate and taking farm roads and small highways. thats the best way to meet real people and get a better idea of what a state is like.

and the route from laredo to amarillo barely touches on the best looking parts of texas. i suppose she may have skirted the hill country but she missed the gulf coast and  woods of east texas.   understandable given where she's headed but still a shame
View Quote

She can get a shower anytime she wants in my hovel in Wood county. I got both kinds of running water and detergent and sheets to dry off in.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

She can get a shower anytime she wants in my hovel in Wood county. I got both kinds of running water and detergent and sheets to dry off in.
View Quote

Is it wrong that I am imagining a slightly cool shower?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Texas isn't for pedestrians.

Spread the word.

I guess it is a good thing that at one time people were sturdy enough to move from A to B without a sidewalk, or OP wouldn't be able to put OR in his profile.

ETA: I can't remember the last time I was in a hotel that didn't have an ATM (which I wouldn't use anyway)
View Quote

Well, this was a long time ago. 35+ years at a guess. ATMs were not that widespread outside banks at the time.
I am not complaining about how Texas is (was) organized so much as saying how different it is (was) from what I knew - English, French and quite a few other EU cities.

It was just so strikingly odd to find thing so organized on the assumption that you would use a car. For everything.

I travelled to the US enough that when I received a job offer, I could accept and not find too many surprises - even in Oregon :-)
But that was back in the days when Oregon was still civilized.

One of the problems with English people coming to America is that they have seen so many American TV programs that they think they know what America is all about, and that it isn't that different from England.
When I moved to France, and later on trips back to England, people would ask me why ... "They drive on the wrong side of the road ... they don't speak English ... they eat frogs!"
So I would ask which culture they thought was closer to England, French or American.
Almost without exception they would say American. They were wrong. Apart from the language, French culture is very close to English. American not so much.

To try to explain it, I would tell them: "The first thing you notice is that instead of a white line down the center of the road and yellow lines down the side, in America you have white lines at the side of the road, and a yellow line down the middle ... and things just go downhill from there."

That isn't meant in a negative way. It is just different, in so many little (and big) ways.

Since moving to Oregon in 1992 I have spent a fair amount of time in TX. I had a job with a TX company (in Austin...), but saw enough outside the cities to get a good feel of the "real" Texas people.
Believe me, they are a lot like real Oregon people, and if you can still find them, even real Californians.

TX is big state, so has a pretty wide range of people. What I liked about this video was that she steered clear of the cities and interstates, and never having been here before, had some of the same first impressions that I did so many years ago...

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#33]
That video confirmed some of my suspicions about Texas.
1.  That Texas is mostly a dry, arid place.  Very few , if any, trees.
2.  They all don’t wear those big ass dinner plate belt buckles.  
3.  I didn’t see anyone carrying a western holster with a Colt .45
4.  No one riding a horse.  For parades only.
5.  No cows.  Florida probably grows more cows than Texas.  He’ll, Georgia probably grows more cows than Texas.
6.  No one wear cowboy hats.  They are only worn when they can impress the unknowing.
7.  Taste in music sucks.  I didn’t hear one song in the background from Urban Cowboy.  

I only watched about 10 minutes of the video.  I guess if I watched the whole thing, my perception might be changed.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I made it through 10 seconds of her spinning around in circles in the RV park. Made me dizzy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

friend, if youre not gonna watch it fair enough, but its bullshit to then assume she said she doesnt like it here.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#35]
The vehicle is cornerstone of modern life in Texas. My house in Texas is closer to Chicago and Atlanta than El Paso.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

friend, if youre not gonna watch it fair enough, but its bullshit to then assume she said she doesnt like it here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
2.  They all don't wear those big ass dinner plate belt buckles.  
3.  I didn't see anyone carrying a western holster with a Colt .45
5.  No cows.  Florida probably grows more cows than Texas.  He'll, Georgia probably grows more cows than Texas.
6.  No one wear cowboy hats.  They are only worn when they can impress the unknowing.
7.  Taste in music sucks.  I didn't hear one song in the background from Urban Cowboy.  

I only watched about 10 minutes of the video.  I guess if I watched the whole thing, my perception might be changed.
View Quote
1/3 of Texas is treed, the 35" rainfall line basically falls along I-35 the interstate between San Antonio up through Waco and into Dallas. East of that you get trees. TX has 4 naional forest but it's a big state, 21 out of 254 counties the largest industry is timber. Like a lot of the south they were failed share cropping cotton fields in the depression and the federal government bought the land for $1/acre and planted pines with the Civilian Conservation Corp, but they were treed prior to the dust bowl/depression era and cotton farming.

The largest private landown in Texas is a timber company with 2 million acres of timber land. It was Temple Inland until they sold to Weyerhauser just recently.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#38]
One day in Vidor, Texas tiktok
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
5.  No cows.  Florida probably grows more cows than Texas.  He’ll, Georgia probably grows more cows than Texas.
7.  Taste in music sucks.  I didn’t hear one song in the background from Urban Cowboy.  

View Quote

1 is absolutely wrong, East Texas is heavily wooded and timber is a huge industry
2 the only people who have ever worn them is people who won them, and they still do
3 you watch too much TV
4 see #3
5 cattle ranching is a huge industry in Texas, cattle are raised not grown
6 cowboy hats are a tool and a fashion accessory, the tool version is in fact the tiny minority
7 music comes in many varieties like assholes, if rap is your thing stay close to town
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#40]

I laughed at that way more than I should have!
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah but they keep on coming.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The truth is that despite it being different than what she is used to, her first taste of America is Texas and she loved it. Somehow I am afraid Texas has set too high of a bar for the rest of America in this case.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

"He'll" Georgia has more functioning idiots than cows

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Texas SUCKS SWEATY BALLS

don't come here, it's HORRIBLE...

STAY AWAY...

there are snakes, stickers, stingers, hogs and rabid cougers and giant tarantulas.
HUGE SPIDERS that will eat your accessory dog.....

BEWARE
View Quote

Yup he speaks the truth...
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

most of your suspicions are wrong.  TX is a BIG fucking place
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

For all the butt hurt Texans out there, this was a joke. You let Florida man’s brother, Georgia man, get under your skin!
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The truth is that despite it being different than what she is used to, her first taste of America is Texas and she loved it. Somehow I am afraid Texas has set too high of a bar for the rest of America in this case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you may be right, but she said she's headed to alaska. if that means she stays in the western states and western canada, she may very well avoid the commie assholes from Not America.

Poland, where she said she's from, is a positive nation in europe. one of the few that still understands freedom, maybe even better than most of this country. being under commie oppression in living memory likely has lots to do with that. i'd hope that she'll be going back and telling everyone on Poland that America isnt dead, it just isnt what they see on the news and the old map no longer applies, we just havent worked out redrawing it yet

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I spent a LOT of my youth in Wood county at my grandparents place. Lots of great memories.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people, especially non-Americans have no idea.
One time, I was in Dallas with my (French) boss. He decided that he wanted to do an afternoon trip to Houston
I had him take a look at a map, and work out the milage, then convert that to km.
His reaction: "This place is fucking HUGE!!! It's as big as France!"

He left with a better appreciation for the scale of TX, and also the USA.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

For all the butt hurt Texans out there, this was a joke. You let Florida man’s brother, Georgia man, get under your skin!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top