User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The spun bearings?

It's only something I've read through forum chatter.
View Quote

I went down the rabbit hole and did some google searching. Some it happened early on in mileage. Most are from poorly maintained engines from the pics I saw. Engines full of sludge. You would be surprised how many people don’t change their oil and then you factor in the toyota thing with them being called indestructible. We replaced a colorado engine for this guy. 3 years later he drops it off cause its running rough. It has timing codes and I notice it still has the same oil filter I installed. He tells me that he didn’t change it cause we changed it. Lol
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I went down the rabbit hole and did some google searching. Some it happened early on in mileage. Most are from poorly maintained engines from the pics I saw. Engines full of sludge. You would be surprised how many people don’t change their oil and then you factor in the toyota thing with them being called indestructible. We replaced a colorado engine for this guy. 3 years later he drops it off cause its running rough. It has timing codes and I notice it still has the same oil filter I installed. He tells me that he didn’t change it cause we changed it. Lol
View Quote

Didn’t see it so much with the 4Runner but Camrys and Rav4s were common targets for the “but the salesman said it wouldn’t need anything” excuse after a blown engine due to lack of oil changes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Didn’t see it so much with the 4Runner but Camrys and Rav4s were common targets for the “but the salesman said it wouldn’t need anything” excuse after a blown engine due to lack of oil changes.
View Quote

We had a Mercedes lock the engine at 40k. She “thought oil changes were something from the 70s”.

Bought it new, drove it till it locked up.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The GX550 (LC250) is 83.22" wide (no idea if that is including mirrors extended)... To put that in perspective, a 2024 F150 is 79.9" wide, 95" wide with standard mirrors extended (that number seems fucky). A 2024 Taco is (depending on model) 76.9/77.9/80.1 (the latter being the Pro). I used self-checkout at Target yesterday, so my expert opinion is that the next Gen 4R will follow the Taco width.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren’t the same thing.

Not sure that I’d consider the LC small, here is the GX with people for scale: https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470909/IMG_1127-3178555.jpg

The GX550 (LC250) is 83.22" wide (no idea if that is including mirrors extended)... To put that in perspective, a 2024 F150 is 79.9" wide, 95" wide with standard mirrors extended (that number seems fucky). A 2024 Taco is (depending on model) 76.9/77.9/80.1 (the latter being the Pro). I used self-checkout at Target yesterday, so my expert opinion is that the next Gen 4R will follow the Taco width.

That’s definitely with the mirrors. My ‘24 Sequoia Pro is 79.9” wide. There’s no way the new GX is wider.

I take that back, it’s 81.5”

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm 5'6" and find the current four runner's FRONT seats tiny.  Not comfortable for any sort of long drive.  My only major gripe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s a tiny cabin.

Problem I have with the current 4 runner and Tacoma is you can either be tall or have someone sit behind you comfortably.  Not both.

I'm 5'6" and find the current four runner's FRONT seats tiny.  Not comfortable for any sort of long drive.  My only major gripe.

I'm 6'1" and drive one daily and for long trips.  No issues at all.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They looked at me like I was crazy when I brought mine in at 3k for its first oil change.  I told them I want this engine to last forever, I don't believe in 10k oil changes -- especially not for the first one.  I do them at 5k currently.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They looked at me like I was crazy when I brought mine in at 3k for its first oil change.  I told them I want this engine to last forever, I don't believe in 10k oil changes -- especially not for the first one.  I do them at 5k currently.
View Quote

Probably because you don’t understand modern oil.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The rear window goes down, seems like they read the room enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly! I bought a ‘23 TRD Offrorad when I didn’t really need a new vehicle. I bought because of the rumors of what this be 4Runner will be. It has more than enough tech for me and at the same time is simple and rugged enough. I think Toyota is screwing up here and not reading the room. They have the RAV and Highlander for soccer moms. Why destroy all the 4Runner heritage?

So we get to pick one feature out of dozens which make the 4Runner special and Toyota thinks there will be no pushback for turning their most iconic vehicle into soccer mom mobile. From the pics I’ve seen, they’ve  made it look like a new Defender or a Ford Escape from the 2000’s. Horrible!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So we get to pick one feature out of dozens which make the 4Runner special and Toyota thinks there will be no pushback for turning their most iconic vehicle into soccer mom mobile. From the pics I’ve seen, they’ve  made it look like a new Defender or a Ford Escape from the 2000’s. Horrible!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly! I bought a ‘23 TRD Offrorad when I didn’t really need a new vehicle. I bought because of the rumors of what this be 4Runner will be. It has more than enough tech for me and at the same time is simple and rugged enough. I think Toyota is screwing up here and not reading the room. They have the RAV and Highlander for soccer moms. Why destroy all the 4Runner heritage?

What pics have you seen? The only ones that have been officially released are of the back hatch and it basically looks like an updated 5th Gen.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What pics have you seen? The only ones that have been officially released are of the back hatch and it basically looks like an updated 5th Gen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly! I bought a '23 TRD Offrorad when I didn't really need a new vehicle. I bought because of the rumors of what this be 4Runner will be. It has more than enough tech for me and at the same time is simple and rugged enough. I think Toyota is screwing up here and not reading the room. They have the RAV and Highlander for soccer moms. Why destroy all the 4Runner heritage?

So we get to pick one feature out of dozens which make the 4Runner special and Toyota thinks there will be no pushback for turning their most iconic vehicle into soccer mom mobile. From the pics I've seen, they've  made it look like a new Defender or a Ford Escape from the 2000's. Horrible!

The unlabeled Land Cruiser pics have created confusion appears.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's still going to be body on frame. Still going to have a good amount of clearance. Still going to have a locker, ATRAC, KDDS, and all the off road goodies that people want in a 4Runner. The 4.0 wasn't going to stick around and it's not like their newer V6s really got any love in the SUV/Truck market so let's not even pretend that people would be happy if they threw the 3.5 in.

Much like the new Tacoma, the biggest complaint (or push back in your words) will likely be price points once the packages start getting thrown in because Toyota seems to really be in a phase of throwing expensive packages as options into everything. It will be interesting to see how they plan to keep price in line with the Land Cruiser being a potential top end price cap, but it's months out before we'll get to that point.

As for the pics, 99% of them are AI generated click bait given Toyota has only released a handful of teasers. You could probably get a good guess by looking at Land Cruiser, GX550, and Tacoma and making an educated guess yourself but so far we just have a picture of a rear hatch to go off of. If you don't like the general style of any of their current redesigns then it's probably not going to be for you. As a personal fan of the pre facelift 5th gen and 4th gen the most, with a begrudging acceptance of the nightshade trim'd limited, I don't really get excited for a bunch of odd angles surrounding fog lights.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed, that is a 250

All we've seen is the rear hatch and glimpse of interior.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

People used to come in expecting one of their two free oil changes to be done at pre 10k miles and they'd usually be sent away because Toyota won't comp the dealer outside of their service intervals. Wasn't exactly the most friendly of policies.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

People used to come in expecting one of their two free oil changes to be done at pre 10k miles and they'd usually be sent away because Toyota won't comp the dealer outside of their service intervals. Wasn't exactly the most friendly of policies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not - my bet it's more franchise control than entirely bean counting.

But FWIW after a few UOA's I settled on 10k intervals on my LC100. Nothing esoteric just Mobil 1 Truck and OEM filters. When I let go it had 360k and a great UOA that greased the sale. The current owner is over half a mil, he kept the same OCI. My other UZs and current UR have seen similar patterns so I've kept them similar.

Other stuff, lol, yea those UOAs tell you 5k might be stretching it.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
My bad

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad

https://64.media.tumblr.com/7c0e6847d2c25f75743f938f50e6f4de/tumblr_ns6f7gwShD1s9362xo1_400.gif

Phuzzy, I don't think you are ever the problem brother

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#17]
They will sell like hotcakes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Probably the opposite once pricing drops on the 6th gen. The tacoma pricing has not been received well in the taco community. Lots of "what do I need to plan for to take this to 200/300k vs buying a new one" threads out there. Oddly enough demand is higher on the 12-15 trims (again with 4.0) than 16-17 models, at least locally and amongst folks I know in the market looking for a new base to build on.

I know more buying before the turnover vs wanting the new model.

The 1GR-FE is a beast, runs forever, and has like a billion miles on it globally.
View Quote

Precisely why I recently bought a 14' Tacoma, I sold my 07 4runner with 330k to a friend and I also have a 17' TRD ORP 4runner. Safe to say I'm a fan of the 4.0. I may actually buy a little daily to keep the mileage down on the Taco which currently has 161k on the clock.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s a tiny cabin.

Problem I have with the current 4 runner and Tacoma is you can either be tall or have someone sit behind you comfortably.  Not both.

6’8” here and my Gen 5 is just fine to drive for hours on end, even when carrying a G19 and spare mag AIWB.

I do have my 5yo in a booster seat behind me, but could definitely see where a tallish person would be tight in the seat behind me as I have the seat nearly all the way to the rear.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m taking my 2020 in every 5k. Paid the lazy tax for the extended maintenance plan that’ll get me to 2028 or 100k miles. When I start doing a 140 mile round trip for my commute later this year or early next I presume I’ll hit the 100k before 2028. Just hit 40k after buying it new in Dec 2020 with 12 miles on the odometer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Got a RAV4 for my daughter, as soon as I got 1000 miles I took it to Valvoline for oil change.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

God you are insufferable.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

if it's like the GX460, it can run 87 fine, the engine/computer adjusts to accommodate, that said you get less power and efficiency.

Ironically I get worse mpg with the 4.0 when I've run 93 (we don't have 91 here).

ETA: have no idea on the new motor spec for either the LC250, GX550, or 6th gen. When I had an Audi S4 years ago, the twin turbos HATED anything but 93.
View Quote

Quoted:

th

@fineslayer83 the new GX will require 91/93  to the best of my knowledge. Anytime you have a turbo with Lexus you can bet it will require premium. Plenty of the line up take 87 but anything turbo or “performance” based will be premium
View Quote

I have both the "dino tech" 4.0 and 4.6. Funny thing is they get essentially identical mileage despite the weight premium of the GX. The 4.6 power train isn't a powerhouse but it is nice and smooth.

Personally, I'm not a buyer for any of these as I really like my lower tech models and have a lot of life left in them. I don't hate the power numbers on the turbo 4s but I detest additional complications. The 4.0 4runners are a great balance of capability, comfort and simplicity, and i could not care less if people berate them for being old tech.

I understand that Toyota needed to update them but damned if they weren't selling already and they could've left the 4runner to be more bare bones while offering the "fancy" doodads in the new junior LC. The venn diagram of people who want massive tablet displays and people who actually use 4runners as intended doesn't have a big overlap, most real users want tactile knobs and such but the lifestyle image sells more than the actual usage does...

I should refrain from further comment until the unveiling but just a few thoughts based on what we have seen so far.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The oil might, but will the tiny filter last 10k?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have both the "dino tech" 4.0 and 4.6. Funny thing is they get essentially identical mileage despite the weight premium of the GX. The 4.6 power train isn't a powerhouse but it is nice and smooth.

Personally, I'm not a buyer for any of these as I really like my lower tech models and have a lot of life left in them. I don't hate the power numbers on the turbo 4s but I detest additional complications. The 4.0 4runners are a great balance of capability, comfort and simplicity, and i could not care less if people berate them for being old tech.

I understand that Toyota needed to update them but damned if they weren't selling already and they could've left the 4runner to be more bare bones while offering the "fancy" doodads in the new junior LC. The venn diagram of people who want massive tablet displays and people who actually use 4runners as intended doesn't have a big overlap, most real users want tactile knobs and such but the lifestyle image sells more than the actual usage does...

I should refrain from further comment until the unveiling but just a few thoughts based on what we have seen so far.
View Quote

FWIW the new Toyota designs still seem to have tactile knobs and buttons for the things that count. Even the GX550 has physical HVAC controls and a host of buttons by the shifter for all the 'fun' options.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

What tactile knobs are you looking for? Navi? The radio and AC are all physical buttons/knobs. Assuming it takes on what the Tacoma looks to have, basically a slightly shrunk system from the Tundra.

MIL has a Subaru with the big screen, nearly everything is integrated, it’s terrible. This isn’t that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Add turbos to the “not to be scared of” list as well. I’ve been working on turbocharged cars for 20 years, the number we’ve replaced is very very small. The number I’ve replaced for actual mechanical turbo failure is somewhere around 3.

Turbos are fine. Calm down.
View Quote

It's not so much the turbos themselves as it is the higher compression that the smaller motor will be under. I don't expect it to grenade or anything, but it will need to be cherry-picked sooner than the NA V6.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What tactile knobs are you looking for? Navi? The radio and AC are all physical buttons/knobs. Assuming it takes on what the Tacoma looks to have, basically a slightly shrunk system from the Tundra.

MIL has a Subaru with the big screen, nearly everything is integrated, it’s terrible. This isn’t that.
View Quote

I'm looking at you, Chevy, and the light controls in a god damn menu.

Or VW with "Let's throw everything under sub menus oh and every button is a Haptic Touch button good luck assholes"
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought the VIP policy that gives me something like 2 or 3 oil changes per year for life along with a bunch of other things.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's not so much the turbos themselves as it is the higher compression that the smaller motor will be under. I don't expect it to grenade or anything, but it will need to be cherry-picked sooner than the NA V6.
View Quote

That hasn’t been my experience. Mercedes has been supercharging and turbocharging normal engines for 20+ years. They have issues, but that just isn’t the cause.

Maybe Toyota can’t figure it out, who knows. My Tundra has been great, 2 turbos and all.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think this is mostly a question of application and packaging.

Turbos make a lot of sense in engines that will be in an unloaded state most of the time. You get great gas mileage, and you have a whole bunch of power on tap when you want it to go fast or to pull the odd load.  

In engines that will be under load often, they make a lot less sense. Small displacement engines burn MORE fuel than larger, naturally aspirated engines when under load, and they run a whole lot hotter. Frequent towing has caused increased issues with EcoBoost F-150s.

I'm not sure exactly where that puts a vehicle like the 4Runner. Obviously, it's fine in stock form and normal driving, but what happens when you lift it, put huge tires on it, and hang 700+ pounds of accessories on it?

As for the packaging issue, the new Tundra is probably a good example of what not to do. Those have/had turbo issues, and fixing them is a cab-off affair. That's a hard pass for me. I would like to think the I4 vehicles like the Tacoma and 4R have more friendly packaging, but I don't know the answer to that question.
View Quote

Good points. How will a 4r with bumpers front and back, a lift , roof rack with who knows what and bg tires/wheels handle it? Not sure. Obviously they can be very capable in stock-ish form but more people modify them than actually use them for their intended purpose. I'll be curious to see if the turbo 4 will handle it as well as the 4.0.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The oil might, but will the tiny filter last 10k?
View Quote

It's a safe bet that modern filters work just fine with longer intervals.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ehh.... that seems like a bit of an exaggeration on the 4.0 part.

I know my father has a cracked piston from a 4.0 that he saved from the scrap pile awhile back and that certainly wasn't his only 4.0 rebuild during his time as 'the' engine guy. I never even got that far in the business and have done head gaskets on a 4.0.

That isn't to say that they pop left and right, but I think if you've been doing the job long enough you'll eventually see failures in everything.

For the record, he also isn't a fan of the new Tundra and would also be the guy to exaggerate so... did you by chance talk to this Toyota service manager at a Sams Club?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This week I had a Toyota service manager tell me he's never seen the inside of the 4Runner 4.0L 1GR-FE V6.

He has however, been intimate with several new Tundra iForce 3.4L V35-FTS V6.  Which have been out since '21.

Ehh.... that seems like a bit of an exaggeration on the 4.0 part.

I know my father has a cracked piston from a 4.0 that he saved from the scrap pile awhile back and that certainly wasn't his only 4.0 rebuild during his time as 'the' engine guy. I never even got that far in the business and have done head gaskets on a 4.0.

That isn't to say that they pop left and right, but I think if you've been doing the job long enough you'll eventually see failures in everything.

For the record, he also isn't a fan of the new Tundra and would also be the guy to exaggerate so... did you by chance talk to this Toyota service manager at a Sams Club?

There's a master Toyota tech who has a YouTube channel and he said the same thing, he's never seen a failure orinside of the 4.0 so you may be the outlier here...
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There's a master Toyota tech who has a YouTube channel and he said the same thing, he's never seen a failure orinside of the 4.0 so you may be the outlier here...
View Quote

You mean kind of like the time they threw Ford techs on a YouTube video saying they never saw a 5.0 fail? The same year the 5.0 was eating oil faster than it did gas due to the fancy new liner? Surely no one would exaggerate a point for a video..

I don't believe any master tech who says they haven't seen a failure. Sorry. Once again, not to say that 4.0s are unreliable, but anyone who has had enough time at a Toyota dealer enough to be considered a master tech will have seen some shit. Either customer caused, mechanically caused, or by a fellow tech doing something dumb.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:55:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Well you're the first one here I've read say that and multiple people reference the opposite, so, you're the outlier here. And comparing Toyota to Ford? Yikes...
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:15:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well you're the first one here I've read say that and multiple people reference the opposite, so, you're the outlier here. And comparing Toyota to Ford? Yikes...
View Quote

See, now that part is a lie because other people brought up spun bearings just one page prior. Something, in my opinion, isn't that much of an issue for most given the potential service life needed to get there. Guess I need to throw on my old uniform, sneak into the dealership, and make a quick video for it to matter though. Maybe I'll dig up a certificate or two to really impress people.

And no, I wasn't comparing the 4.0 to Ford's 5.0. What I was doing, was making a point of people exaggerating things for YouTube clicks.

And just to reiterate, because apparently this isn't clear: At no point did I say the 4.0 was unreliable. At no point did I say they were all going to blow up. At no point did I say it's a shit engine. It's ok bud, I'm not insulting your baby. What I am saying, for the third time is: It's extremely unlikely for someone in the business to not see a failure at some point. Nothing mechanical is perfect, and there are a lot of 4.0s out there in the wild. Something, somewhere, eventually will go wrong on one of them and if you are at the point of being considered a 'master Toyota tech' you've been around this world a few times to really see some shit.

And just to pacify you even more, because I know how tribal some of you get. Here is my last 4Runner, which is still in the family:

You'll notice that it's a rather new one with, and prepare to sit down for this one: a 4.0. It's currently being driven by a retired 'Master Toyota Tech' and ex 'service manager' who I mentioned has a cracked piston from a 4.0 sitting in his tool chest. Want to guess what engine he's had in vehicles since.. 2004 I believe it was when he picked up a 4th gen?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

See all these posts about guys complaining about turbos?

Those guys and people like them will be competing for new and late model used 5th gens.
View Quote

That’s my opinion too. Me not wanting a 4cyl turbo is why I opted out of the 2024 Tacoma and just bought the 2024 4Runner.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Back just before and around the turn of the century (sounds weird) when the LC debuted with the 2UZ-FE, the wailing and gnashing of teeth was similar. What is this monstrosity! Why has Toyota abandoned us, the faithful. 32V!!! Muh 1FZ!!! As always foreign markets are the promised land and if Toyota would only bring those here we would be delivered.

When VVTi arrived, along with ETC there was another round. Compared in some cases to BMWs VANOS failures, despite the dissimilarities and ignoring some other applications and not quite a decade reasonable service in use on the 1UZ. That wasn't off-road the detractors pouted! All will be broken!

Couple year later the 3UR-FE arrived in '07 - with Double VVti . . .and broken cams. It was like that those chicks screaming at the cat at dinner in the meme. See! SEE!!! D-VVTi had beeen around a decade. Mostly w/o issue (I'd say entirely but I don't know the whole story on the '98-on Altezza but never heard of issues, but hell could have missed and solenoids do go bad, mostly well along) The cams were fixed but for years there were screams of what a shit show the 3UR was. Broken cams. Problems. Yea problems everywhere!! Seriously my bros sisters uncle had an engine replaced. Seriously tho - we did get cam tower leaks.

In the end, kinda worked out fine, Even a few million mile examples.

I'm a little over the top here for dramatic effect - but just a little. I recall guys, old dudes with a lot more experience than my green ass had, telling me how fucked up it all was going to be, and in some cases telling me it was right then. When I asked, not for anecdotes, but for the data. . .

We'll see on the turbos and hybrids and triple VVTi (J/K) - as they say, past performance is no guarantee. But I'm not buying trouble before it arrives. Then, I was told I was an idiot often for grabbing debut LC100 at the time. Very expensive mistake. You'll be sorry.

18 years and 360k, it worked out ok. Current owner is past his 6th belt.  I hope he joins Farah. Seems his goal. Might become famous like Matt. That's not the only or least of my UZ and URs, but the one I miss the most. I prolly won't buy another Taco or Tundra, but there will be a LC 250 in the driveway very soon, replacing or joining a FJ TTE. Likely a new GX at some point, tho I'm set right now. Still, I hope I'm right

Attachment Attached File

FWIW, tho I dont drive them, I've had a lot of good luck with the 2TR, tho can't get past 250k without a clutch

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Back just before and around the turn of the century (sounds weird) when the LC debuted with the 2UZ-FE, the wailing and gnashing of teeth was similar. What is this monstrosity! Why has Toyota abandoned us, the faithful. 32V!!! Muh 1FZ!!! As always foreign markets are the promised land and if Toyota would only bring those here we would be delivered.

When VVTi arrived, along with ETC there was another round. Compared in some cases to BMWs VANOS failures, despite the dissimilarities and ignoring some other applications and not quite a decade reasonable service on use on the 1UZ.  It that wasn't off-road the detractors pouted! All will be broken!

Couple year later the 3UR-FE arrived in '07 - with Double VVti . . .and broken cams. It was like that those chicks screaming at the cat at dinner in the meme. See! SEE!!! D-VVTi had beeen around a decade. Mostly w/o issue (I'd say entirely but I don't know the whole story on the '98-on Altezza but never heard of issues, but hell could have missed and solenoids do go bad, mostly well along) The cams were fixed but for years there were screams of what a shit show the 3 UR was. Broken cams. Problems. Yea problems everywhere!! Seriously by bros sisters uncle had an engine replaced. Seriously tho - we did get cam tower leaks.

I'm a little over the top here for dramatic effect - but just a little. I recall guys, old dudes with a lot more experience than my green ass had, telling me how fucked up it all was going to be, and in some cases telling me it was right then. When I asked, not for anecdotes, but for the data. . .

We'll see on the turbos and hybrids and triple VVTi (J/K) - as they say, past performance is no guarantee. But I'm not buying trouble before it arrives. Then, I was told I was an idiot often for grabbing debut LC100 at the time. Very expensive mistake. You'll be sorry.

18 years and 360k, it worked out ok. Current owner is past his 6th belt.  I hope he joins Farah. Seems his goal. Might become famous like Matt. That's not the only or least of my UZ and URs, but the one I miss the most. I prolly won't buy another Taco or Tundra, but there will be a LC 250 in the driveway very soon, replacing or joining a FJ TTE. Likely a new GX at some point, tho I'm set right now. Still, I hope I'm right

View Quote

What can you tell me about the 5VZ-FE in my taco
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When VVTi arrived, along with ETC there was another round. Compared in some cases to BMWs VANOS failures, despite the dissimilarities and ignoring some other applications and not quite a decade reasonable service on use on the 1UZ.  It that wasn't off-road the detractors pouted! All will be broken!

Couple year later the 3UR-FE arrived in '07 - with Double VVti . . .and broken cams. It was like that those chicks screaming at the cat at dinner in the meme. See! SEE!!! D-VVTi had beeen around a decade. Mostly w/o issue (I'd say entirely but I don't know the whole story on the '98-on Altezza but never heard of issues, but hell could have missed and solenoids do go bad, mostly well along) The cams were fixed but for years there were screams of what a shit show the 3 UR was. Broken cams. Problems. Yea problems everywhere!! Seriously by bros sisters uncle had an engine replaced. Seriously tho - we did get cam tower leaks.

It doesn't have D-4S or you'd be dead. Twice.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Is that why we're 13 years into the EcoBoost era and nobody is making a 3/4+ ton truck with a turbocharged gasoline engine?
View Quote
Tacoma and 4Runner aren't 3/4 ton vehicles. They aren't made for extreme duty towing. Midsize trucks are made to tow about 7,500 lbs at max and probably less. The engine power isn't the major limiting factor, stability and load capacity are.

In the US, midsize trucks with the higher power engine are going to be either a turbo 4, or a naturally aspirated V6. Ford adds the 2.7, v6 ecoboost on special models.

Modern turbo 4's have power down low and keep making it up high. Naturally aspirated V6's aren't making power down low like the turbo 4's. Turbo 4's are replacing naturally aspirated v6's. Turbo 4's make usable power in a nice size package.

1/2 ton pickups are full of turbo V6's and those pickups are rated for more towing than midsize.

Ford does put natural and ecoboost V6 in 3/4 and 1 ton dually vans. People who want power go ecoboost.

Cummins is producing a turbo gasoline version of the 6.7 inline 6 diesel. It is slated for vocational, bus, and other commercial use. This is in response to emissions and associated expenses and maintenance.

For serious work, the turbo diesel reigns supreme. Natural aspirated gasoline is used for lower purchase costs in that arena. Emissions is starting to have an impact on turbo diesel cost and maintenance.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#42]
A few people have mentioned seats being uncomfortable or not having enough leg room. Check out Desert Does It  seat jackers. I've never felt the need for them, but some friends have installed them and they love it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That’s definitely with the mirrors. My ‘24 Sequoia Pro is 79.9” wide. There’s no way the new GX is wider.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72631/IMG_3232-3179062.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72631/IMG_3232-3179062.jpg

Those are NICE! I wish they would unfuck the 3rd row seat... Like remove it. One of the best looking SUV/Trucks currently for sale IMHO. It's amazing Toyota could turn out something as good looking as the current Gen Sequoia and at the same time release something as butt ugly as the Tundra. I'm hoping the 4R looks closer to the Seq than the Taco (which isn't bad looking.) Toyota needs to do a mid cycle refresh on the Tundra quick and at least put the Seq front end on it, and a 22.5gal fuel tank is ridiculously small.
Quoted:

Agreed, that is a 250

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164007/lc-3179124.png

All we've seen is the rear hatch and glimpse of interior.

Lexus had to make room for the 3rd row that comes on the soccer mom version of the GX550. That is my guess.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

See all these posts about guys complaining about turbos?

Those guys and people like them will be competing for new and late model used 5th gens.
View Quote
Soon afterwards, those people will take a ride in a buddy's turbo and there will be silent grumbles about high revs and lots of shifting from the v6.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A few people have mentioned seats being uncomfortable or not having enough leg room. Check out Desert Does It  seat jackers. I've never felt the need for them, but some friends have installed them and they love it.
View Quote

I've seen those but it's hard to swallow a hundred bucks for two little metal spacers.
The seats need to be longer in the seat portion IMO.  It's like there isn't enough support under my thighs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's shaping up to be a bit of a hierarchy, with the 4Runner likely being the most budget option and the GX550 giving you the most if you can pay for it, with some overlap in between.

Not that I'm sitting here wishing for less things, but I'd hope there would be some sort of difference between the Land Cruiser and the 4Runner other than the rear window goes down.
View Quote
I think the 4 runner will be narrower.

For people that drive tight trails, park in tight garages and parking spaces and value the easy low speed maneuvering of a narrow vehicle, we thank Toyota for not abandoning the normal width, body on frame SUV.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Of all the modern engineering complications being put in cars, dual injection is probably the dumbest one to be triggered about.

Direct injection isn't directly mandated by law, but it might as well be at this point. It makes a huge difference in CAFE compliance numbers, so port injection engines are being quickly replaced in everything half ton and smaller.

The downsides are that DI fouls up intake valves and doesn't perform well in many situations, and the failure rate tends to be higher, but again, manufacturers have to use it for government compliance.

That article you posted is from 2017... 7 years ago. Toyota has been using dual injection in the Lexus line since 2006... 18 years ago.

Dual injection has been a non-issue, and dual injection engines are objectively superior to direct injection only engines.

It makes sense to be critical of cylinder deactivation, auto start stop, active electronic cooling, spray on cylinder liners, belt driven oil pumps, and other things of that nature, but I wouldn't put dual injection in this group, and I'd have zero hesitation in purchasing a vehicle with it.
View Quote
Agree. Basically, word for word.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've seen those but it's hard to swallow a hundred bucks for two little metal spacers.
The seats need to be longer in the seat portion IMO.  It's like there isn't enough support under my thighs.
View Quote

You can always buy longer bolts and stack washers under the seat.

It will look like shit, but WILL be cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Tundra seats are adjustable in that direction, power even. If that puts me in the LC over the 4Runner so be it. I basically spent $10k to get a black headliner, Toyota is tricky
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Not a fan of the huge tablet display.
View Quote

Seemed ridiculous at first in my tundra. Love it now.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top