User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 11/14/2021 4:57:47 PM EDT
ETA forgot the link:

https://www.popsci.com/technology/army-infantry-squad-vehicle-explained/

The Army’s Infantry Squad Vehicle seats 9 and can be dropped from a cargo plane
Plus, it's 70 percent similar in it parts to a Chevy Colorado ZR2 pickup.
View Quote

Before the Army can win a battle, it has to move people into position. More specifically, it has to move squads of soldiers—close to the smallest functional unit of war—and make sure they are in a position to fight effectively.

To accomplish this, and make sure that soldiers can fight and move over the harshest terrain, the Army is turning to a lightweight nine-person transport known as the “Infantry Squad Vehicle,” which looks like a big jeep that can carry rucksacks on the top rack.

The vehicle seats nine: two in the front, three in the second row, two people facing backwards behind the third row, and one person each facing outwards from the sides on the rear. The sides and seats are all open. Passengers can buckle into place, but there are no doors. This makes it a vehicle that soldiers can easily enter and exit, reducing to a bare minimum the amount of time spent fiddling with doors before driving away or dismounting into position.

The lack of armor is immediately apparent. MRAPS, the giant explosive-resistant troop transports that the Pentagon ordered a few years into the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, were produced in such a quantity that surplus models are regularly in use with police departments across the United States. Those slow, lumbering vehicles are the face of a type of modern warfare, but they are a specific adaptation to a specific set of circumstances.

MRAPs, as well as heavier armored transport vehicles like Strykers, are useful for fighting in areas where soldiers expect ambushes and roadside bombs. That kind of fighting is more common in counter-insurgency warfare, with soldiers patrolling villages and cities and countryside looking for small armed groups.

On the other hand, the Infantry Squad Vehicle, with its open sides, light body, and giant tires, is about moving soldiers into place, but that’s where the similarity to heavier vehicles ends. There’s no armor or gun turret in the base version because those would prevent its primary function, which is carrying soldiers over difficult terrain quickly. (At a defense exposition in October, GM Defense, which makes the ISV, showed off a model that includes a gun turret and vehicle mounts for infantry weapons. To include those weapons, the armed model gives up four seats for passengers, and is not yet a part of planned Army acquisitions.)

The Army is invested in the ISV to the tune of 649 vehicles by the end of 2024, with plans for 2,065 total. It’s so integral to how the Army plans for fighting future war that it’s already writing its doctrine with ISVs in mind. In an Army Field Manual published January 2021, the role of an Infantry Brigade Combat Team is defined as “dismounted operations in complex terrain—a geographical area consisting of an urban center larger than a village and/or of two or more types of restrictive terrain or environmental conditions occupying the same space.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I can see my old infantry squad in that thing.  Regardless of the war it would be funny.  Pretty sure Sgt Roman would insist on driving.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Hope they make a cover for the top.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can walk or you can ride but either way you get rained on.
View Quote

Not really sure what the deal is but it seems kind of open for inclement weather.   Still kinda want.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
No A-GMV, no care.

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty cool, I think these can be moved by Chinooks too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the British version better

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pretty cool, I think these can be moved by Chinooks too.
View Quote

Yeah being air mobile is a big part of the program.   Seems kind of obvious to modify what is basically an off the shelf 4WD pickup into a squad vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
How long until it gets up-armored, weighs 10X as much, and seats three?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#10]
So it hasn't gotten The Pentagon Wars treatment?*

*yet

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whenever we end up fighting insurgents again instead of the fantasy conflicts the military dreams up in its head and it starts getting chewed up by IEDs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Creates carbon?  No go.  

Back to horse drawn wagons & horse pharts.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Seems pretty retarded (so typical of government contracts) when they could have used something off the shelf like, oh I don't know, the J8s that other countries are using for the same purpose.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Didn’t the Colorado have a frame breaking issue when weighed down?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

First I've heard of it.

Where did you hear that ?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm assuming this is more for stateside and places like Germany/Poland for quick and local transport? Or roles far from the front lines.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#17]
a geographical area consisting of an urban center larger than a village and/or of two or more types of restrictive terrain or environmental conditions occupying the same space.”

So like a suburb or gated communities on the outskirts?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#18]
70% gm? Only stands 30% chance of getting to destination.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Should have went with Toyota as a base.

There is a reason why 3rd world nations have been using them as technicals since ever.

Not to mention the parts availability.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I can see my old infantry squad in that thing.  Regardless of the war it would be funny.  Pretty sure Sgt Roman would insist on driving.
View Quote

That would be a mistake. He can’t focus on command of his squad if he if he is focusing on driving the vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
a geographical area consisting of an urban center larger than a village and/or of two or more types of restrictive terrain or environmental conditions occupying the same space.”

So like a suburb or gated communities on the outskirts?
View Quote

The Village in Florida.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#22]
If it doesn't come with crank windows for $20k I don't want it
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#23]
that invisible  armor is neat.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Whenever we end up fighting insurgents again instead of the fantasy conflict the military dreams up in its head and it starts getting chewed up by IEDs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Whenever we end up fighting insurgents again instead of the fantasy conflict the military dreams up in its head and it starts getting chewed up by IEDs.

False.

This is in no way a substitute for the multiple armored platforms that exist.  Its not a patrol vehicle.

Also, its almost as if being airmobile and off road capable was a tactic in itself to mitigate a huge amount of an potential IED threat.

Quoted:

Its pretty hard to get armored vehicles into Chinooks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#25]
What does this offer that a Land Verber (Cruise or Rove) hasn't offered for the last 30 years?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

First I've heard of it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First I've heard of it.

I’ve seen pictures somewhere about this, frame buckling between the cab and bed on trails, IIRC, small offroad camp trailers were being towed.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#27]
That is a oldy.

Just upgrade the old WWII jeeps.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Plus, it's 70 percent similar in it parts to a Chevy Colorado ZR2 pickup.
View Quote
I'll bet the price is 99% similar to a Rolls Royce.

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've seen pictures somewhere about this, frame buckling between the cab and bed on trails, IIRC, small offroad camp trailers were being towed.
View Quote

That was from people jumping them with trailers attached
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You can walk or you can ride but either way you get rained on.
View Quote

If it ain't rainin' - it ain't trainin'  
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish we had those when I was in.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#32]
What goes around, comes around. Truck-mounted infantry has been around since WWII.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That is a oldy.

Just upgrade the old WWII jeeps.
View Quote

They did. That is how we ended up with the Humvee and the Post office ended up with those goofy little box vans.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#34]

bUt itS uNArmOreD....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks pretty sweet until bullets start flying or the g’s decide to put some AT mines out or an IED or two.

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What does this offer that a Land Verber (Cruise or Rove) hasn't offered for the last 30 years?
View Quote

9 rollover protected seats while being able to roll on and off a Chinook.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Milley will farm some out to the Taliban for trials.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Looks pretty sweet until bullets start flying or the g’s decide to put some AT mines out or an IED or two.

View Quote

A lot of my time was without a vehicle at all.  So when the bullets started flying we shot back.  IED's?  Why are you on the pavement?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks like the makings of a Workhorse.

Capable, cheap, nimble, adaptable and for now very exposed
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your namesake unit managed just fine with unarmored vics in an IED/mine heavy theater.  Step one is usually drive where the IEDs aren't.  An offroad capable vehicle gives you that option.  Step two, in a high threat area, dismount and deliberately clear.

These things are designed around LSCO and being able to position light troops forward while still being able to carry support equipment and have the ability to displace.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Coming to a school board meeting near you.....
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#42]
What am I missing? Is it supposed to be a CUCV replacement? A Deuce and a half replacement?

What is the point of these again?

Moving troops to locations where they can fight? You mean like a Deuce and a half that can also be used to move the platoons extra stuff?

I'm not seeing the point of these other than spend taxpayer money for more useless shit that won't help the grunts.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What am I missing? Is it supposed to be a CUCV replacement? A Deuce and a half replacement?

Moving troops to locations where they can fight? You mean like a Deuce and a half that can also be used to move the platoons extra stuff?

I'm not seeing the point of these other than spend taxpayer money for more useless shit that won't help the grunts.
View Quote

Yeah it's a deuce and a half.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, it was meant to be a replacement for vehicles that stopped being used 30 years ago.  Nailed it.

Slow moving convoys of vehicles moving to the front are a thing of the past with modern artillery and missiles and the almost infinite capability for ISR via satellite, EW, and UAS. Smaller, faster units need to push forward on helicopters to seize key terrain and neutralize long range threats to heavier formations to create a safety bubble for them to move forward in.  They also need to be able to support themselves with things like EW and SHORAD requiring a mobility platform, and have the ability to rapidly displace once they get targeted.

Its also small enough to conceal from aerial observation...kind of a big deal nowadays.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

False.

This is in no way a substitute for the multiple armored platforms that exist.  Its not a patrol vehicle.

Also, its almost as if being airmobile and off road capable was a tactic in itself to mitigate a huge amount of an potential IED threat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

False.

Quoted:

Fair enough, I'll defer to your experience.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd wheel that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm assuming this is more for stateside and places like Germany/Poland for quick and local transport? Or roles far from the front lines.
View Quote

Yeah, they aren't for patrolling.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Aren't those about $300k each?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

When people start dying in them from IEDs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

When people start dying in them from IEDs.
View Quote

This isn't 2005.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top