Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I work with both... Metric sucks and the units are not practically sized.

One thing I have found to be interesting in international sheet metal thicknesses is that most of the common metric thicknesses are a close conversion of our sizes. 11ga=.120"=3mm ish/ 7ga = .179" =4.5mm ish

The hate us cause they ain't us.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Metric is awesome but sae is here to stay.  We machine in thousandths here even if it's a metric part.

Metric is much simpler, know what's one bigger than a 12mm wrench?  Know what's one bigger than a 7/16s?
View Quote
We're Americans.   We'll use Metric when it works best and we'll use our own mix of systems when it works best.      We've been using both for decades now.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The "foot" is a useful length, centimeter is too small and meter is too big.
View Quote
One decimeter= 10 cm or .1 meter
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't mind either, just get aggravated when a vehicle has both.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, all you guys are crazy. There is no way we will ever go to metric.

Who is going to sign up to retrain all of our wives and mothers and girlfriends for their baking and cooking needs.

The recipe calls for a cup of milk, how many ML is that? Who is going to explain it to them?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I use both.....SAE FTW

Newtons and joules are bullshit, no intermediate measurement between centimetres and meters (decimeter is trash and goes unused), Pascal's, etc are my biggest complaints (aka aren't practically sized)
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use both.....SAE FTW

Newtons and joules are bullshit, no intermediate measurement between centimetres and meters, Pascal's, etc are my biggest complaints.
View Quote
Decimeters.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Decimeters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use both.....SAE FTW

Newtons and joules are bullshit, no intermediate measurement between centimetres and meters, Pascal's, etc are my biggest complaints.
Decimeters.
See my edit. The decimeter is trash and nobody uses it
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Judging by the poll results, I'm surprised this hasn't been happening faster.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On the surface but is 75% of 285 hard to understand?  It's how tall the sidewall is.  I do understand the frustration though.  
View Quote
Well WTF is 285?!

All I'm saying is L x W x H makes the most sense when dealing with dimensions and such. At least for us Americans anyways. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lol. I really don't care.  It's fun to rile up the Eurobabies and their cheerleaders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are two types of countries.

Those that use the metric system.

And those who have been to the moon.
Do you honestly think the USA couldn't have made it to the Moon if it used the metric system???? 
Lol. I really don't care.  It's fun to rile up the Eurobabies and their cheerleaders.
The USA has been using the metric system for decades.
Think about your medical meds and medical report - all metric.
Look at your soft drinks - all metric.
Virtually all of the nuts and bolts on your new American cars are metric.
Almost all quality chefs perform their art by weighing their ingredients in the metric system.
Look at all the quality firearm calibers in metric.
The military uses metric for almost everything on the ground.

I know there are those that don't think we use the metric system - but they are wrong.
I'ts really only a matter of time before we smarten up and switch all the way...
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Stupid Canada units. I couldn't even get gas in Canada. My car runs on gallons, and all I could find was it sold in liters. I was lucky to get home.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I assume that most people here would not want to switch to the metric system.  What I want to know is:  Why not?
View Quote

Imperial system for the win.  Fuck the metrics.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do you honestly think the USA couldn't have made it to the Moon if it used the metric system???? 
View Quote
No,  but it crashed on Mars using the metric system.

Honestly, it no longer matters - that said, US Customary is a superior system.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Metric is simpler.

It's only real drawback is "we" aren't used to it.

We should change to it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Because we landed on the mother freakin Moon.  How many countries that use rhe metric system have done that.  Maybe someone else said it but I am not reading the whole thread.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Millimeters grams, and milliliters are cool, rhe other meaurements all suck.

Km are too small, 3.2 meters is stupid, kg are too heavy and so on.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Because we landed on the mother freakin Moon.  How many countries that use rhe metric system have done that.  Maybe someone else said it but I am not reading the whole thread.
View Quote
We can't even fly our astronauts into space these days.  The Russians do it on metric rockets.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I assume that most people here would not want to switch to the metric system.  What I want to know is:  Why not?
View Quote

The automotive industry has already switched.  Cat and Deere (and a bunch more) have switched over as well.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We can't even fly our astronauts into space these days.  The Russians do it on metric rockets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's because we wore out space like a $2 whore on payday and now all the welfare rats are taking that money which we could be using to cook space bacon or keep illegals out of the country.

(That was mostly just BS shit talking, but for real, we spend too much money on garbage we don't need)

ETA: is that why we don't send as many women to space? The world just isn't ready for the freedom boner that is space bacon? What about using a machinegun to cook bacon, in space?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Very few advocates here have any argument other than multiplying and dividing by 10's, and the supposed advantage.  I'd wager that very few of that number understand which common everyday measures we use are SI.

The folks that really apply units in scientific and engineering calculations can work in both systems, pretty much equally well if they're a recent graduate, with a little more rust if not.

Selling crap in volumes measured in liters or masses measured in kilograms is a trivial application.  Including derived units, such as Pascals mentioned on page 1, reduces the supposed advantage, now everyone has to remember the definition.  Purists ought to be forced to express every quantity in terms of the basic units in SI, a few lines of Newton-meters/second will bring their screeching to a halt.

SI simply provides no advantage in any application that matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've been here long enough to have read the arguments that prove the US Customary Units of measurement is superior, and that SI provides no advantage to the users that use it for anything besides the label on a bottle.

Proof:

An objects mass is 387 kilograms.  A force of 1678394 Newtons is applied.  The acceleration is 1678394/387 meters/second^2.

"But, but, muh multiply by 10's ..."

QED
Been here long enough to have seen the same tortured arguments that say more about the one making them than the system being discussed.
Very few advocates here have any argument other than multiplying and dividing by 10's, and the supposed advantage.  I'd wager that very few of that number understand which common everyday measures we use are SI.

The folks that really apply units in scientific and engineering calculations can work in both systems, pretty much equally well if they're a recent graduate, with a little more rust if not.

Selling crap in volumes measured in liters or masses measured in kilograms is a trivial application.  Including derived units, such as Pascals mentioned on page 1, reduces the supposed advantage, now everyone has to remember the definition.  Purists ought to be forced to express every quantity in terms of the basic units in SI, a few lines of Newton-meters/second will bring their screeching to a halt.

SI simply provides no advantage in any application that matters.
These threads are as old as GD, you read what you want to read and remember what you want to remember.  You're strawman is ironic.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Almost all quality chefs perform their art by weighing their ingredients in the metric system.

I know there are those that don't think we use the metric system - but they are wrong.
I'ts really only a matter of time before we smarten up and switch all the way...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are two types of countries.

Those that use the metric system.

And those who have been to the moon.

There is also the whole how are units defined here.  Well, 1 inch is legally defined as 25.4 mm and so on.   We officially went metric in the 1800's.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I just ordered these guys on Amazon.  As far as I can tell, they match and should go nicely with the DeWalt stuff.

Komelon 8 Meter Gripper Tape Measure

Komelon 25 Foot Gripper Tape Measure

I got tired of having a hybrid tape measure with inches on one side and centimeters on the other.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use both.....SAE FTW

Decimeters.
That's because most measurements up to a few meters are just written in centimeters. The easy conversion makes the rest academic. The decimeter might not be "written" but most regular users of metric length measurement hav an intuitive sense of the size of both a decimeter and a meter, and your whole argument is based on derp, as are most of these threads.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
If only there was a metric unit in between those two...
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:49:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Metric is awesome but sae is here to stay.  We machine in thousandths here even if it's a metric part.

Metric is much simpler, know what's one bigger than a 12mm wrench?  Know what's one bigger than a 7/16s?
View Quote
8/16.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#31]
LOL

We accepted it, not saying I like it but we were smart enough to adopt to it.

Not so much south of the border apparently.

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Metric no way! We need to stand strong with Liberia and Myanmar!
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Meh. I use and like both.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Five point five six is greater than two twenty three.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#35]
The biggest problem in SAE is multiple units of non-base-10 makes things a real fucking headache.  WHY do people use feet-inches, instead of decimal feet.  Same for weights.  Oh your AR weights 7lbs 5 1/2 oz.  Why not just say 7.4 lbs??

structural detailing is the worst, spot checking to make sure dimensions add up is a unnessisary chore...

add 4' 11 7/16" + 1 4 3/4" + 11 13/32" + 13/32".  Does that equal 6' 7 1/2" OAL?  
or, if it had been done in metric,
add 1434mm + 245mm + 23mm + 125mm  Does that equal 2032mm OAL?  Much easier to check right?

(numbers made up, but which one of these is more likely to be entered incorrectly in your calculator)

Seems what really holds us up is construction and building industries.  BUT MUH 16" O.C.   jesus just do 40 or 40.5cm close enough

and to be fair, alot of supposedly metric countries are NOT 100%.  They still use miles and mph in the UK for road, and I will say that Fahrenheit does work as a nice 0-100 scale for  the weather, 0= really cold and 100 = really hot, any deviations <0 or >100 = off the scale deadly, avoid.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

We ARE on the metric system, at least officially.

The American People generally don't want to use it for everyday measurements, so we don't. Are you suggesting that government should, yet again, decide to try and micromanage the affairs of the individual?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#37]
grew up using both
American cars and Japanese Dirt Bikes
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:16:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The American People generally don't want to use it for everyday measurements, so we don't. Are you suggesting that government should, yet again, decide to try and micromanage the affairs of the individual?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did try that, in the 70s and 80s. It failed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:18:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Be America, get both.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I love metric for hardware, but I can't imagine measuring the speed of my car in anything other than MPH, my height in anything other than feet and inches, or weight in anything but pounds.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That is my biggest argument for staying how it is now, a mix of English and Metric units.

Switching from buying gas in gallons to liters is a pointless switch that would gain NOTHING.   Same for Gallons of milk, etc.

Remembering that main roads in towns 1 mile centers is much easier than remembering there's one every 1.61 kilometers.   Distances are easily visualized, along with volumes.  

Nobody today has to remember how many tablespoons make a fluid ounce, or how many teaspoons are in a tablespoon, or all the other easy measurements.  Our phones/computer/instructions already have the conversions done, in addition to measuring units being marked in multiple ways so conversion can be done 'in cup'.  

Adding 1 teaspoon of sugar is a lot easier to visualize than adding 5ml of sugar powder (which you can't really do in metric, it needs to be in grams, so look up the density of sugar granulated at the mesh size you currently have on hand to convert from teaspoons to Correct Metric grams).

Metric makes sense in science applications where switching to SAE units would be just as pointless as changing gas pumps to display and charge for liters instead of gallons.   It would only crash more space landers, rockets blowing on pad, and more.   Maintaining thousandths/thou's in machining a metric size is easier to mentally visualize as far as tolerance (vs 24.5 µm), so it's a 'verbal win'.

I think they say the US is "not metric" mostly because we measure height in ft and in, weight in pounds, distance in miles, and volume in gallons.  They are human handy units which can be estimated from first principles easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly.  A PSI is pretty easy to grasp, what the fuck is a pascal?
That is my biggest argument for staying how it is now, a mix of English and Metric units.

Switching from buying gas in gallons to liters is a pointless switch that would gain NOTHING.   Same for Gallons of milk, etc.

Remembering that main roads in towns 1 mile centers is much easier than remembering there's one every 1.61 kilometers.   Distances are easily visualized, along with volumes.  

Nobody today has to remember how many tablespoons make a fluid ounce, or how many teaspoons are in a tablespoon, or all the other easy measurements.  Our phones/computer/instructions already have the conversions done, in addition to measuring units being marked in multiple ways so conversion can be done 'in cup'.  

Adding 1 teaspoon of sugar is a lot easier to visualize than adding 5ml of sugar powder (which you can't really do in metric, it needs to be in grams, so look up the density of sugar granulated at the mesh size you currently have on hand to convert from teaspoons to Correct Metric grams).

Metric makes sense in science applications where switching to SAE units would be just as pointless as changing gas pumps to display and charge for liters instead of gallons.   It would only crash more space landers, rockets blowing on pad, and more.   Maintaining thousandths/thou's in machining a metric size is easier to mentally visualize as far as tolerance (vs 24.5 µm), so it's a 'verbal win'.

I think they say the US is "not metric" mostly because we measure height in ft and in, weight in pounds, distance in miles, and volume in gallons.  They are human handy units which can be estimated from first principles easily.
Why do we buy soda in liters, but milk in gallons? We buy booze in metric measurements too.  There is no reason to change to km, the U.K. gets by fine with miles.  Using both units on signage wouldn't kill us though.  Everything sold commercially has been marked in both units since the 80s, and most of us have measuring cups in both units, even my kitchen scale has both grams and pounds/ounces.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:23:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Metric... because science.  Literally.

And all you idiots who are arguing about "visualization," do you think A teaspoon is naturally easier to visualize?  Inherently more useful?

It is simply what you grew up with.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:23:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Fuck metric, and fuck Celsius.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Are you suggesting that government should, yet again, decide to try and micromanage the affairs of the individual?
View Quote
What I would like to see is a period of say, 40 years, where signage is included for both.  Then after that 40 years, it's just metric.

As for the affairs of the individual, the U.S. is mostly SAE, but I do the vast majority of my personal affairs in metric.  So the government isn't really dictating to me one way or the other.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Metric is superior but I use both.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Metric rocks. That other, retarded, system not so much.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It is more simple in some ways... except for tires.  Metric tire sizes are confusing as hell.
View Quote
It's a stupid way to describe the dimensions of a tire.  Metric or standard, it should be sidewall height, tread width (not a fucking percentage) and wheel diameter.  It's hilarious that it's actually mixed metric and standard, and a real pain in the ass to use anyway.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top