Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/14/2014 3:50:01 PM EDT
Dated technology by today's standpoint but in it's day a hell of a plane. I believe some airforces still have them as reserve planes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Not bad....for a commie plane.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought some countries installed western weapons and avionics.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
As a slight tangent the Mig-21 module for DCS World has recently been released with incredibly accurate modeling.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought some countries installed western weapons and avionics.
View Quote

I read that the Israelis made some pretty decent coin for a few years upgrading former WaPa MiG-21s.

Funny how the MiG-21 seems to have stayed in service longer than the MiG-23/27.  I've read the Fishbed described as the 'AK47 of Supersonic Aircraft' before.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I watched a show just yesterday talking about the 21.  

Some of the guys interviewed in the show were military and govt guys from that era.  They were saying that plane was thought to be terrifyingly good and killed a lot of Phantoms and Thuds.  Until a defector landed at a base with one.  The test pilots and subsequent tear down proved it was pretty blah.  The reason it was seemingly so good was the fact that the American pilots had no training on how to counter it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#6]
and for 70,000 you can have one of your own.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out what theIndians have done to their -21s. Still a very formidable opponent even now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Some of the guys interviewed in the show were military and govt guys from that era.  They were saying that plane was thought to be terrifyingly good and killed a lot of Phantoms and Thuds.  Until a defector landed at a base with one.  The test pilots and subsequent tear down proved it was pretty blah.  The reason it was seemingly so good was the fact that the American pilots had no training on how to counter it.
View Quote

I read that the NVA actually had more success with the MiG-17.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The YF-110.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Check out what theIndians have done to their -21s. Still a very formidable opponent even now.
View Quote

They are junk.

The most crashed aircraft in the Indian military inventory.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Had the US been allowed to fight the fight that their technological advantages would have allowed,there would have been far more MiGs shot down in Vietnam and fewer losses from them.

Don't just look at Vietnam,look at everywhere 21s fought and they're decidedly mediocre

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had the US been allowed to fight the fight that their technological advantages would have allowed,there would have been far more MiGs shot down in Vietnam and fewer losses from them.

Don't just look at Vietnam,look at everywhere 21s fought and they're decidedly mediocre

View Quote

That is my take reading on it.  

Reasonably fast,  and built is mass quantity.  Really is kind of like an AK 47 of the commie aircraft world.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

See also Operation Bolo.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
and for 70,000 you can have one of your own.
View Quote

Oh yeah?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#16]
... Saber flying with a Mig Faggot

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I was pulling reports about neurosurgery, and I noticed this one doctor had both a PH.d and and MD, and he had a cool name.  So I googled him, and it turns out he owns his own MiG-17 and a P-51:

The interview starts at 5:25

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Hungarians were operating Mig21s fairly recently. When we redeployed from Bosnia in late 1996, the staging area for US IFOR forces was at a Hungarian airbase in Taszar Hungary. We would watch the Mig21s take off and land all day long. Apparently, they couldn't afford to fly them very much until we set up shop there. They were supposed to be replacing their Mig21s and Mig29s with some Saab fighter. Not sure where they are with that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The YF-110.  
View Quote

Correct. YF-110G
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Robin Olds for the win.

I always liked the lines of the Mig 21. Had some cool paint schemes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/JumGR-lnmkI Dated technology by today's standpoint but in it's day a hell of a plane. I believe some airforces still have them as reserve planes.
View Quote

Some air forces still operate them as front line aircraft.  I believe India, for example, isn't due to retire most of theirs until sometime next year.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Some air forces still operate them as front line aircraft.  I believe India, for example, isn't due to retire most of theirs until sometime next year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/JumGR-lnmkI Dated technology by today's standpoint but in it's day a hell of a plane. I believe some airforces still have them as reserve planes.

Amazing that I posted the link to an article on Indian MiG-21's and you didn't bother to read it.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I've heard the same thing, that the MiG-17's were more maneuverable.  Their favorite way to attack American planes was from above with all guns blazing on a pass then try to get out of there if they could.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I always though of it as the "T-62" of jets
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Both the -21 and -23 had some nasty handling characteristics. I flew with a guy who knew a lot about flying Soviet aircraft.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Aside from a handful of MiG-29s, the Fishbed is the top of the line aircraft for the Norks.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Isn't that what drove the Navy to start the Top Gun school?

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#28]
We had a bunch up on the range in Nevada during the 80's.  It was explained to me that it was a 100 hour (mission) fighter.  I know the Red Hats spent many a long hour making parts to keep them flying.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They are junk.

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/08/the-trouble-with-indian-air-forces-mig-21-fighter-jets/?_r=0

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are junk.

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/08/the-trouble-with-indian-air-forces-mig-21-fighter-jets/?_r=0

Wasn't talking about their safety record.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that the 21 was one of the reasons the ball got rolling.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VPAF.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#33]
"It is based on the MiG-21 as many of you guys know from the Vietnam (War) era, but upgraded with an F-16 radar built by the Israelis in the nose, active radar missile, and they carry an Israeli jammer on it would practically make them invisible to our legacy radar in the F-15 and F-16."
"MiG-21 had the capability to get into the scissors with you, 110 knots, 60 degrees nose high, go from 10,000 feet to 20,000 feet, very maneuverable airplane, but it didn't have any good weapons. Now it has high off bore sight Archer missile, helmet mounted sight, active missile, and a jammer that gets it into the merge, good radar..."

- a USAF observation from an exercise sometime back on the upgraded -21s from India
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Amazing that I posted the link to an article on Indian MiG-21's and you didn't bother to read it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, I was quoting the OP and hadn't read the rest of the thread yet.  I'm an American!  And you know what reading an entire thread before chiming in is for!  
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Technology and performance aside, it did have some beautiful lines.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
As a slight tangent the Mig-21 module for DCS World has recently been released with incredibly accurate modeling.
View Quote

It's pretty fun. It also shows you just how limited the aircraft is, and how many quirks that it had.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's pretty fun. It also shows you just how limited the aircraft is, and how many quirks that it had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't bought anything since the UH-1 came out.  Although some F-86 vs Mig-15 fights are tempting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I haven't bought anything since the UH-1 came out.  Although some F-86 vs Mig-15 fights are tempting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are going to release a high fidelty MiG 15 module. They posted some WIP screens on Facebook.

Do get the MiG 21 module though, it's very challenging and detailed. Come with a 181 page PDF manual. The whole aircraft is interesting. How the radar and navigation systems work is, uhm, also very interesting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Always loved the looks of that bird.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Better than Washing Machine Charlie.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
No. Depending on the altitude and airspeed, the mig 21 had a significant maneuverability advantage over the F-4. What the US pilots needed was training on how to stay out of the fights where the MIG had the edge, and push the fight into a a part of the envelope where they had the advantage

The Contstant peg program had americans flying captured, bought, and stolen MiGs against american pilots in red flag, etc. The 4477th TES guys never hesitated to show a cocky eagle driver how they could smoke his ass if he made mistakes. Among the MiGs they had, the most loved to fly were the older models, the visibility was better and they were a good deal lighter and so they were much more nimble.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

"It is based on the MiG-21 as many of you guys know from the Vietnam (War) era, but upgraded with an F-16 radar built by the Israelis in the nose, active radar missile, and they carry an Israeli jammer on it would practically make them invisible to our legacy radar in the F-15 and F-16."

"MiG-21 had the capability to get into the scissors with you, 110 knots, 60 degrees nose high, go from 10,000 feet to 20,000 feet, very maneuverable airplane, but it didn't have any good weapons. Now it has high off bore sight Archer missile, helmet mounted sight, active missile, and a jammer that gets it into the merge, good radar..."

- a USAF observation from an exercise sometime back on the upgraded -21s from India
View Quote

I saw the video of that briefing, it was really interesting!
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

They are junk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are junk.

they arent junk because of anything inherant to the airplane, those are turning into junk bc of the shit maintenance they are getting.

Give people who dont know what they are doing F-22's to maintain, and they could junk them in a year or less too
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They are junk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are junk.

Everything India has is junk.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#45]
In a world of PC, I will still say......

"The Only Good Commie, is a DEAD Commie"!
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are junk.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are junk.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/rbi-blogs/wp-content/uploads/mt/flightglobalweb/blogs/the-dewline/assets_c/2013/06/c-17%20560-thumb-560x331-178339.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8204/8274341746_1f830cd035_z.jpg

Maintained by the nation that can't even make functional small arms or ammunition.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks. Always appreciate your posts.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Speaking of DCS, here's the trailer for it. Some people might not like that it shows a Hustler and Aardvark get eviscerated, though.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#50]
If I were rich, I'd buy one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top