BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

140gr at 3K from a 16" is impressive to me.
View Quote
I'm not going to turn my nose up at it- I'm a 270 shooter and I think it'll be a cool bolt gun caliber.

But the chart I was replying to is telling me that from a 24" barrel, a 20k psi increase in pressure gains me about 100 FPS over a 6.8 Western.

If I'm king of the Infantry, no way we're choosing this (with no consideration for supply chain or price) over 5.56 for standard issue rifles.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Pretty sure they were running around $7K+.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't hate it.  What'd that run you?

Pretty sure they were running around $7K+.

LOL WTF is it real gold?
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

General Milley was chief of staff when this was initially getting pushed. Now he is chairman of joint chiefs.

One of the two NGSW is probably getting adopted. Probably the RM277 because it doesnt look like an M4.

Reject Modernity, Embrace Battlerifle.
View Quote
Just get stronger, duh.

Don't forget that if you don't pack 8 spare Thor batteries, your whole squad will die.

ETA- I always have to remind myself that multiple people though that the magwell was a good idea for the M249. Helps me lower my expectations.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 1:00:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm not going to turn my nose up at it- I'm a 270 shooter and I think it'll be a cool bolt gun caliber.

But the chart I was replying to is telling me that from a 24" barrel, a 20k psi increase in pressure gains me about 100 FPS over a 6.8 Western.

If I'm king of the Infantry, no way we're choosing this (with no consideration for supply chain or price) over 5.56 for standard issue rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6.8 Western is a short mag right? If so those don't work well with current mag sizes and guns.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

6.8 Western is a short mag right? If so those don't work well with current mag sizes and guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, it's a slightly altered 270 Winchester Short Magnum.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 1:21:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just get stronger, duh.

Don't forget that if you don't pack 8 spare Thor batteries, your whole squad will die.

ETA- I always have to remind myself that multiple people though that the magwell was a good idea for the M249. Helps me lower my expectations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

General Milley was chief of staff when this was initially getting pushed. Now he is chairman of joint chiefs.

One of the two NGSW is probably getting adopted. Probably the RM277 because it doesnt look like an M4.

Reject Modernity, Embrace Battlerifle.
Just get stronger, duh.

Lol, the good idea fairy slaps dumb motherfuckers upside the head quite often.

I just wish there was a “practical implementation fairy” that hit ‘em with a brick afterward.

One, maybe two battle rifles with good optics in the squad to give them a greater effective range and maintain commonality of ammunition with the MG, yeah, I understand the thought process.

Making the battle rifle standard issue is still retarded. The only justification I see is the relatively recent public announcement of a breakthrough in polymer technology, supposedly a ballistic composite capable of being made into a practical LV 4 plate, at half or less the weight of current ESAPI plates. If the nerds aren’t just blowing smoke and hype, you could make bulletproof stormtrooper armor that isn’t ridiculously heavy/bulky, and possibly cheaper than the ESAPI/IOTV with all the additional soft armor.

Of course, even if said armor came about, I’m ~90% sure than the USA will still be the only country issuing it to more than just SOF.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:33:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Operating system is completely different than an AR10/15. It's much more similar to an AR-180, which I'm certain you're not referring to.

It's got a piston like the 180, a Stoner AR design.

It's kinda like saying that the AR10 was based on the Johnson, because they both have similar bolts.

It doesn't look like an "enhanced" AR receiver with obvious design ques by coincidence.

I am incredibly curious if the 3-part case design of Sig can be compatible with current arms, with maybe a gas system/recoil spring adjustment of some type.

Not a chance. The chamber takes the full brunt of ~80K psi before gas gets to the vent block. There's no bypass. Current small arms in this category are designed to handle ~60K psi at the chamber.

In this context, still want to get the skinny on the "material science breakthroughs" that OP mentioned, which I specifically asked him about, but has yet to follow up on.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Bro I got high points. Don’t need no spear.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Operating system is completely different than an AR10/15. It's much more similar to an AR-180, which I'm certain you're not referring to.

It's got a piston like the 180, a Stoner AR design.

It's kinda like saying that the AR10 was based on the Johnson, because they both have similar bolts.

It doesn't look like an "enhanced" AR receiver with obvious design ques by coincidence.

I am incredibly curious if the 3-part case design of Sig can be compatible with current arms, with maybe a gas system/recoil spring adjustment of some type.

Not a chance. The chamber takes the full brunt of ~80K psi before gas gets to the vent block. There's no bypass. Current small arms in this category are designed to handle ~60K psi at the chamber.

In this context, still want to get the skinny on the "material science breakthroughs" that OP mentioned, which I specifically asked him about, but has yet to follow up on.

No, certainly a chance.

Chuck O'Connor experimented with his "Steelhead" cases decades ago.

Link

He could push a .30-06 to .300H&H mag territory. Will every rifle be able to do this? No. Will some, that are already strong enough? Yes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Maybe, and hear me out for a second, if people didn't have a stick planted firmly up their rectum, they would see the post for what it is... Obviously a joke, a play on the whole "my new thing means everything else is obsolete", and not to be taken as literal.

Perhaps if people would actually read the playfully exaggerated points down to the "why haven't you accepted SIG Sauer USA as your lord and savior yet?", they would realize the person who is touting the obvious "collectors" gun(that as far as I'm aware is the first one in someone on the boards hands) that doesn't even have the ammo out yet, instead of immediately digging into "just as good" or parts supply chain on a rifle that is literally marketed as "First Production Run Special Edition". Even more so when the thread is done in the exact format of another thread that was doing the exact same thing, with another thread two weeks after of the gun malfunctioning as an even bigger clue for people that didn't get the joke the first time. Even more so there are people that are so hard headed they will argue that actual improvements are unnecessary as a way to further strengthen their cognitive dissonance, and will start making a bunch of arguments against a gun they've never even seen in person.

FFS, I put three transferable colts in a trash can and people still didn't understand it's all in jest.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-09C3r9MZOLU/YJ0LQgSyOYI/AAAAAAAAAY0/hd88AODfv54bjeD65G882v2XeuIeylbdgCLcBGAsYHQ/s640/story-of-the-fox-and-the-grapes.jpg
View Quote

Subtlety and innuendo aren't exactly GD's stock in trade. The sputtering and fussing over the post's hyperbole is a lot more entertaining than the actual discussion. You only have to peruse this sight for a short while before it becomes clear why certain sects believe venomous snake handling or twirly side locks of hair were really what the messiah intended.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

OP is obviously a huge douche.

But OP is also parodying the firearms community 10 years ago, where everything was "game-changers", in additions to the previous threads on the SPEAR on here, where people also said a bunch of stupid stuff.
View Quote
+1
There is a lot of fatigue with that sort of shit .
Anyone that's been around for more than 15-20 just rolls their eyes at "game changing" products as they are 98% of the time stupid worthless shit  The other 2% are neat in a technical sense but not deserving of the pre release hype  or are so niche that literally 99% of the shooting world doesn't care .

Add in a long list of companies especially SIG abandoning their products a few years down the line

You.get what you see in this thread
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top