Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It’s being built in Wisconsin.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yay, just what our military needs. More globalization. Don't want to use American workers to make American ships in American dockyards. Nope. Gotta use third worlders and sub par materials in foreign yards on a foreign design. Disgusting.

Wisconsin is just the third-world with better flavored cheese.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Italy isn’t a third world nation. Don’t be absurd.

Ironically, so do we.

I think everyone would prefer it but US industry has struggled to pull its head from its ass and make what needs to be made. The Euros are pushing their shit in on many weapons systems. They need to get it together.
View Quote

By the way, every nation has a tradition on building some weapons Better than others.. for example german build good tanks, Italians build good tank destroyers and frigates, americans build good aircrafts, aircraft carriers and helicopters, russians build good human waves, etc
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Forza Scuderia Fincantieri!  Paint them red, and they'll be fast as hell.  Chicks will dig them too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
at least they'll look sexy. Just so long as they don't use English electrical systems.

They should name the first one to join the fleet the USS Fix It Again Tony.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The swamp Germans design a good ship.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should have gone with the Dutch Absalon-class ships.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes Dutchland and Pizzastan two powerhouses of naval might. I am sure the Portuguese Navy has nightmares about facing either Navy in battle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

By the way, every nation has a tradition on building some weapons Better than others.. for example german build good tanks, Italians build good tank destroyers and frigates, americans build good aircrafts, aircraft carriers and helicopters, russians build good human waves, etc
View Quote

You need to head back up in the mountains up north and get us some interesting pics! We build beautiful Beretta weapons here in Tennessee.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
After reading all the problems with the LPD San Antonio, maybe we should let someone else take a crack at it.
View Quote

No what we need to do is make military and political leaders responsible for these disasters spend the rest for their lives converting granite mountain into gravel.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sorry my friend. You can have all the weapons, Cars, fashionable clothes and tasty food you want but not the women.. for them you have to come living here ??
View Quote

The second to last chick I boned was an Italian chick/tourist here (I live overseas). She didn’t speak English and I don’t speak Italian so we communicated in French. She seemed to enjoy her American injection/erection.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Uh  no  ... Show me who else has our Naval dominance   ...  Before you start counting the number of navies that are our peers ... The number is in the single digits and is the first number before the number 1.  

0   that is the correct answer

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yay, just what our military needs. More globalization. Don't want to use American workers to make American ships in American dockyards. Nope. Gotta use third worlders and sub par materials in foreign yards on a foreign design. Disgusting.

Packers... that's a different country, right?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OK  if you say so....     ...  That is why we are so far behind all the other "naval powers"  

I do not like our military relying on foreign countries for our equipment needs.  Everything we field should be designed here and made here .  

View Quote
And then you will complain about cost.

We should be taking the best equipment and engineering from around the world.  Doesnt matter if its designed here.  After years of trying to best the Israeli Trophy system, the US just bought it.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Will they go as fast in reverse as they do forward?  That's the Italian way.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nobody is making that argument.

Rather, the argument is that countries with tight budgets and small militaries need to pinch every penny, and squeeze all the blood out of every rock ... and so they MIGHT be able to design pretty efficient and affordable ships.  

The U.S. procurement and budgeting process gets you the Littoral Combat Ships and the Space Launch System.
View Quote

You are also forgetting there dividends even to failed systems and projects because we end up in the end with the most capable and advanced weapons systems.  I am not sayings we should waste money because we can ,  but even our failures contribute to successes.

What we need to do is remove the politics from the procurement and design processes and base what we buy on the best product not the one that gets an Admiral or General a VP job when he retires.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Uh  no  ... Show me who else has our Naval dominance   ...  Before you start counting the number of navies that are our peers ... The number is in the single digits and is the first number before the number 1.  

0   that is the correct answer

View Quote

Show me another country that was stupid enough to field Littoral Combat Ships.

Oh wait, that number is 0 too.

We stopped building frigates to chase after an unproven design that has been an unmitigated disaster. It makes sense to contract with a country that didn't stop building frigates to regain our capability. And maybe learn that having the largest navy doesn't make one immune to hubris.

The Italian FREMM is an excellent, proven design. My first choice would have been the RN's new Type 26 since it's the choice of our Anglosphere allies. Sadly, it wasn't in the running. The Italian design will also serve us well.

Grazie ai nostri amici e alleati in Italia!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And then you will complain about cost.

We should be taking the best equipment and engineering from around the world.  Doesnt matter if its designed here.  After years of trying to best the Israeli Trophy system, the US just bought it.  

View Quote

Actually I have never bitched about the cost ,  just the fact that we have people in DoD that use the procurement chain as a spring board to cushy jobs. Eliminate that and the ability of assholes to use their personality to get the toy they want . Our designers and builders are more than capable of building anything other nations can build .
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Forza Scuderia Fincantieri!  Paint them red, and they'll be fast as hell.  Chicks will dig them too.
View Quote

I'd be glad to organize a party with hot chicks on a FREMM frigate
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes Dutchland and Pizzastan two powerhouses of naval might. I am sure the Portuguese Navy has nightmares about facing either Navy in battle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least they don’t ram their ships into other boats because the females in charge of it had a disagreement.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Rather, the argument is that countries with tight budgets and small militaries need to pinch every penny, and squeeze all the blood out of every rock ... and so they MIGHT be able to design pretty efficient and affordable ships.  

The U.S. procurement and budgeting process gets you the Littoral Combat Ships and the Space Launch System.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Money printers go BRRRRRRRRR
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#23]
They are a nice ship

I'd be down for some Centauros, they seem a lot better than the Stryker MGS
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Danish Navy did accidentally fire a Harpoon missile into a bunch of beach houses many years ago.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least they don’t ram their ships into other boats because the females in charge of it had a disagreement.

Danish Navy did accidentally fire a Harpoon missile into a bunch of beach houses many years ago.  

Ouch
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wisconsin is just the third-world with better flavored cheese.
View Quote

Than ITALY?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#26]
The design was selected to reduce development cost and risk. From what I read,  the ship`s power generation is what secured the win. It should be able to handle newer weapon systems that are power hungry , like lasers and rail guns. As for the enclosed mast, I think  that will turn out to be an idea that was better on paper than in reality. Kind of like the "mack"s on the Knox class FFs. If steel and aluminum have corrosion issues, I think composites might have longevity issues in the maritime environment.

After the first batch are delivered, IIRC the contract gets reevaluated. I think the Canadian  and Australian variants of the RN`s Type 26 FFG may be contenders if they have hulls in service. We wanted a proven design with few or no surprises that was capable of operations against peer and near peer adversaries. That`s why the Type 26 wasn`t selected. The LCS variants that were proposed were just more hot garbage. I think that`s why Lockheed withdrew their entry.

Also Ficanteiri invested a lot of $$$ upgrading the Wisconsin shipyard to handle FFG construction.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#27]
i don't know exactly when it happened, but i have become a huge fan of things italian.  

definitely like the ferrari red idea.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Norwegians did. Their FFG sank. I think they refloated it, but it will likely be a total loss. ETA, there was a female officer aboard. I think she may have been the Navigator. I don`t think she had an argument with anybody.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Speaking of monstrously expensive boats, how are the Zumwalts doing?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are a good design, but where the a contender on this contract? I don't remember them on the list.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They are a nice ship

View Quote
The Centauro 2 seems unusually capable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

OK  if you say so....     ...  That is why we are so far behind all the other "naval powers"  

I do not like our military relying on foreign countries for our equipment needs.  Everything we field should be designed here and made here .  

View Quote

That kind of thinking is how we got the M-14, literally the worst option on the table at the time.

Besides, unless I badly misread the link,  the ships are actually being built in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#33]
@ssimo

It's dark times in Italy??
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Been to Italy.

No such thing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And please also export some of your hot womenz and I don't mean the Jersey Shore type

Been to Italy.

No such thing

Oodles of hot Italian women when I was there. You must have been looking at tourists?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Speaking of monstrously expensive boats, how are the Zumwalts doing?
View Quote
There is one hull still being built out of the water on Google maps

It's a real shame since the ship design isn't awful on it's own. The gun boondoggle was a colossal fuckup.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Isn't there an old joke about getting a German chef and an Italian engineer?  
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Wisconsin seceded?

Also we'll be throwing some Swedish bofors gun on that badboy. The real firepower will be the VLS of course.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd go with Pininfarina and make a statement

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Show me another country that was stupid enough to field Littoral Combat Ships.

Oh wait, that number is 0 too.

We stopped building frigates to chase after an unproven design that has been an unmitigated disaster. It makes sense to contract with a country that didn't stop building frigates to regain our capability. And maybe learn that having the largest navy doesn't make one immune to hubris.

The Italian FREMM is an excellent, proven design. My first choice would have been the RN's new Type 26 since it's the choice of our Anglosphere allies. Sadly, it wasn't in the running. The Italian design will also serve us well.

Grazie ai nostri amici e alleati in Italia!
View Quote

Saudi Arabia is buying six freedom variant LCS.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Italians have a history of making some of the best looking ships in the world.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The Norwegians did. Their FFG sank. I think they refloated it, but it will likely be a total loss. ETA, there was a female officer aboard. I think she may have been the Navigator. I don`t think she had an argument with anybody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Norwegians also paint big barcodes on the bow of their ships.

That way when they get to port, they can Scandinavian.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Stop me if I'm smoking crack here, but would the FREMM design be suitable for the bigger Coast Guard cutters? From where I sit, leave out the missiles and torpedoes to save money and free up space,  and there should be a cost savings to having the rest of the ship common to both services.

I'll admit, that's the kind of logic that led us to pretend the F35 is really one airplane instead of three...
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We should paint them Ferrari red.
View Quote

Lightships are painted red.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Were they squatter shacks?  If so, serves 'em right.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Italians have a history of making some of the best looking ships in the world.
View Quote

Concur.  Look at the cruisers and battleships built for Regia Marina in WW II.  Littoro class BB, Zara CA, Duca d'Aosta class CL.  Pretty ships.  Too bad they didn't have radar or air support.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The second to last chick I boned was an Italian chick/tourist here (I live overseas). She didn’t speak English and I don’t speak Italian so we communicated in French. She seemed to enjoy her American injection/erection.
View Quote

Well done
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They are a nice ship

View Quote

Centauro II is arguably the best fire support vehicle/tank destroyer around

And looks sexy too

CENTAURO II: the new masterpiece of Iveco – Oto Melara Consortium (CIO)
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Will the deck guns be Berettas?  If so, I’ll take one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#49]
At least it's not the Russian ones the dems were displaying at the DNC salute to veterans.  Maybe it was a salute to Russian veterans?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@ssimo

It's dark times in Italy??
View Quote

Yes because the fucking government keeps on closing everything for this virus which clearly won't disappear in the near future.

The country will be on its knees after this shitshow comes to an end and as soon as we will face the consequences of the lockdowns.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top