Should have went with Jieitai stuff.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Been to Italy.

No such thing
View Quote

Then you didn't hit Sicily while you were there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My wife, wanting to go back to Europe, has begun watching walking tour videos on YouTube, almost entirely in destination locations of coastal Italy. The videos are all from this summer, between July and August.

There seem to be crowds of tourists, and very few are wearing masks (significantly fewer than I see here in North Idaho, the freer region of a "freedom-loving" state).

Are these the dark times of which you speak? Looks great to me...
View Quote

Those videos must be old ones. Now in Italy the Mask is mandatory and most regions are basically in lockdown since november: bar and restaurants closed, you can not go outside your city or village and so on.. a disaster
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Those videos must be old ones. Now in Italy the Mask is mandatory and most regions are basically in lockdown since november: bar and restaurants closed, you can not go outside your city or village and so on.. a disaster
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife, wanting to go back to Europe, has begun watching walking tour videos on YouTube, almost entirely in destination locations of coastal Italy. The videos are all from this summer, between July and August.

There seem to be crowds of tourists, and very few are wearing masks (significantly fewer than I see here in North Idaho, the freer region of a "freedom-loving" state).

Are these the dark times of which you speak? Looks great to me...

Damn.  Family restaurants and such are taking a beating I guess just like here but they lifted the emergency order yet 4+ restaurants are gone and businesses have taken a hit.  Even national chain businesses are just closing up and down.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Float It Again Tony
View Quote

Exactly, when I think Italian engineering, I don't thinks "durable, dependable, long lasting"... I think " fast, sporty, flashy, big dollar, money pit"
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd be glad to organize a party with hot chicks on a FREMM frigate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forza Scuderia Fincantieri!  Paint them red, and they'll be fast as hell.  Chicks will dig them too.

I'd be glad to organize a party with hot chicks on a FREMM frigate
....off to get my passport renewed...  
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes.. the romans reverse engineered the at the time best warships in the world, made it much better, got control of the mediterranean sea in a few decades, wiped off the entire carthaginians civilization

Your servile war didn't go very well, too. Right, Spartacus? Thousands of crucified rebels on the Appian way for 150 miles, from Rome to Capua.. no joke

@spartacus200
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only after you reverse-engineered a Carthaginian warship that washed ashore

Yes.. the romans reverse engineered the at the time best warships in the world, made it much better, got control of the mediterranean sea in a few decades, wiped off the entire carthaginians civilization

Your servile war didn't go very well, too. Right, Spartacus? Thousands of crucified rebels on the Appian way for 150 miles, from Rome to Capua.. no joke

@spartacus200

oof, I left the door wide open for that retort!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Meh... what do the Dutch know about building ships?

View Quote

technically a ship is just a giant wooden shoe
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Seems like a good decision to me, the Navy needs combat vessels now so buy what is ready to go.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am glad to see that the collaboration between our countries about military industry and military technology keeps being one of the strongest in the world. After we adopted the F35 fighter (which we are now producing in Italy, i think under license), last april the US navy confirmed it will buy a variant of the italian FREMM frigate, produced by Fincantieri.

As i understood we are talking about a 5,6 billion contact. This will help my country in these dark times and i am sure the new frigates will serve the US navy well.

As a sidenote, i think the frigates will sport also OTO-Melara 76 mm automatic cannons: with guided projectiles and 120 rpm they are real beasts.

Now we should buy some A-10's and you should buy some Centauro II's or Freccia's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buA4ajpCtpQ
View Quote

I have heard nothing but good things about the FREMMs.

For those of your poo-poohing license production of foreign designs, it will address employment and industrial base concerns no matter who owns the design.

Part of getting our allies to "pay their fair share" is throwing them a bone every now and again. We should also do it to keep our domestic industry honest.

LCS was a complete shit-show, and we should not reward failure.

@ssimo you'll be pleased to know the USMC is acquiring the Iveco SuperAV produced by BAE under license.

ETA: And we should do other things, such as buy Canadian ice-breakers. Let countries and militaries focus on the things they are good at, or that we don't want to bother doing, or can't do efficiently due to small scale, meanwhile also making it as difficult as possible for them to say "no" to our "requests" for support.

Basically, make it as easy and profitable as possible to be our friend, and countries won't gripe so much when we make the "big ask" to borrow an ice breaker, or use a base, or whatever.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Danish Navy did accidentally fire a Harpoon missile into a bunch of beach houses many years ago.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should have gone with the Dutch Absalon-class ships.

Yes Dutchland and Pizzastan two powerhouses of naval might. I am sure the Portuguese Navy has nightmares about facing either Navy in battle.

At least they don’t ram their ships into other boats because the females in charge of it had a disagreement.

Danish Navy did accidentally fire a Harpoon missile into a bunch of beach houses many years ago.  

Insurance scam?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#12]
My last airline flight was hauling a 787 load of Beretta shotguns, Augusta helicopter parts, and a Maserati from Milan to Philadelphia.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Wut kinda espresso machine them boats come fitted up with?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For those of your poo-poohing license production of foreign designs, it will address employment and industrial base concerns no matter who owns the design.

Part of getting our allies to "pay their fair share" is throwing them a bone every now and again. We should also do it to keep our domestic industry honest.

@ssimo you'll be pleased to know the USMC is acquiring the Iveco SuperAV produced by BAE under license.

ETA: And we should do other things, such as buy Canadian ice-breakers. Let countries and militaries focus on the things they are good at, or that we don't want to bother doing, or can't do efficiently due to small scale, meanwhile also making it as difficult as possible for them to say "no" to our "requests" for support.

Basically, make it as easy and profitable as possible to be our friend, and countries won't gripe so much when we make the "big ask" to borrow an ice breaker, or use a base, or whatever.
View Quote

Sounds good
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

oof, I left the door wide open for that retort!
View Quote

Ahahahah
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Denmark has a navy?!

We ought to do something about that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oto Melara cannons are better imho
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wisconsin seceded?

Also we'll be throwing some Swedish bofors gun on that badboy. The real firepower will be the VLS of course.

Oto Melara cannons are better imho

*click*
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Maybe you could spend your entire national budget on building a super-warship, only to have it sink as it tries to leave the harbor the first time.

... again!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Denmark has a navy?!

Maybe you could spend your entire national budget on building a super-warship, only to have it sink as it tries to leave the harbor the first time.

... again!  

We have submarines these days, they're supposed to sink.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Anything can be a submarine once.  It's that "coming back up" part that's tricky

To be fair, Scandinavian marine designs tend to be incredibly innovative, from what I've read; there's some light torpedo design I read about that seems awesome for the Baltic and littorals.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anything can be a submarine once.  It's that "coming back up" part that's tricky

To be fair, Scandinavian marine designs tend to be incredibly innovative, from what I've read; there's some light torpedo design I read about that seems awesome for the Baltic and littorals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our light torps are pretty unique, they're wire-guided and they can be double-packed in the tube.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are they putting on it in terms of armament? The wiki article doesn’t say.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Denmark has a navy?!

View Quote
Lord Nelson did.  Apparently he is needed again.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Denmark has a navy?!

Lord Nelson did.  Apparently he is needed again.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61337/Nicholas_Pocock_-_The_Battle_of_Copenhag-1848352.JPG

Based Nelson taught those æbleskiver-munching semi-Krauts a lesson.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

... again!  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

By the way, every nation has a tradition on building some weapons Better than others.. for example german build good tanks, Italians build good tank destroyers and frigates, americans build good aircrafts, aircraft carriers and helicopters, russians build good human waves, etc
View Quote

Italy makes nice firearms. My two recent Pedersoli rifles are exellent. A two-band P58 Enfield  and a .54-cal Hawken. Not to mention all of my Pietta and Uberti cap and ball replicas and Colt single action army clones. My Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Sporter is wonderful.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Italy makes nice firearms. My two recent Pedersoli rifles are exellent. A two-band P58 Enfield  and a .54-cal Hawken. Not to mention all of my Pietta and Uberti cap and ball replicas and Colt single action army clones. My Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Sporter is wonderful.
View Quote

Yes Italy makes nice firearms, we build weapons since thousands of years afterall. And i am happy to see that Italian gun manufacturers have been able to keep the quality of their products high at reasonable costs and that they continue ti produce firearms in Italy or in the US. Something that didn't happen with Remington, winchester, etc, unfortunately..
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Our light torps are pretty unique, they're wire-guided and they can be double-packed in the tube.
View Quote

And for the Baltic a Lethal little piece of kit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
120 RPM on a 76mm?! Damn that's pretty good firepower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJpqNFkd9gI

Are they using black powder as the propellant?  That is a LOT of thick white smoke.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Well why not, pretty soon we won’t make any of our own military gear.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oh yay, just what our military needs. More globalization. Don't want to use American workers to make American ships in American dockyards. Nope. Gotta use third worlders and sub par materials in foreign yards on a foreign design. Disgusting.
View Quote

They will be built here by Americans.  We need fast and cheap hulls we can put in the water in the next couple years to run the chi-coms ragged.  Not a long overly expensive design process that will change multiple times and won't see a ship in the water, let alone a bunch of them in deployable condition for 20 years.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Are they using black powder as the propellant?  That is a LOT of thick white smoke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
120 RPM on a 76mm?! Damn that's pretty good firepower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJpqNFkd9gI

Nope.  It looks pretty normal for bigger weapons systems. 5-6lb of propellant tends to make a good amount of smoke
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#36]
The Italians have always produced interesting designs.  Employment has been spotty at best, but they've always been innovators, especially in small, unconventional craft like torpedo boats and manned (but not suicide) torpedoes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

These bench warmers build excellent warships since the first punic war straight to the Maritime Republics
View Quote

As with the Italian Army, the modern Italian Navy has had crappy leadership.

On the other hand, the lower levels of command have always been innovators, just ask the crews of the Tegethoff, Szent Istvan, and Queen Elizabeth.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Denmark has a navy?!
View Quote

I'm told that occasionally they shoot at USOs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

... again!  
View Quote

I believe that was Sweden, and the Vasa.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That's not exactly what's happening though, we buy foreign things all the time in return for foreign countries buying our stuff. The M1 Abrams uses two Belgian made 7.62 MGs. The M240 is a great MG, but we didn't buy it because it was better than ours, we bought it because they bought a shitload of F16s

This is pretty common and it doesn't mean we buy shit products from the foreign government, it's more of a tit for tat. They buy our stuff, we buy theirs

Z
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do not like our military relying on foreign countries for our equipment needs.  Everything we field should be designed here and made here
That's not exactly what's happening though, we buy foreign things all the time in return for foreign countries buying our stuff. The M1 Abrams uses two Belgian made 7.62 MGs. The M240 is a great MG, but we didn't buy it because it was better than ours, we bought it because they bought a shitload of F16s

This is pretty common and it doesn't mean we buy shit products from the foreign government, it's more of a tit for tat. They buy our stuff, we buy theirs

Z

Pretty sure the 240 was better that whatever we were fielding at the time of adoption
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What are they putting on it in terms of armament? The wiki article doesn’t say.
View Quote

I read somewhere that one of the changes is that it has to use our VLS system instead of the one it was designed for

Edit
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#42]
The USA should only buy USA citizen designed, fabricated, built, etc.. products from 100% USA interest/ownership entities.

ETA- LOL what am I saying, thats out dated, thats the old USA.. Now the USA is usurped to be whored out, infested, leached off, diseased, killed, chopped up and cannibaliized by global cronies.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#43]
USS Boppity Boopi
USS Talk with Your Hands
USS Chef Boyardee
USS Ravioli Ravioli Give Me the Formuoli
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Swamp. Germans.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:21:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for NAVSEA to weigh in with thousands of "required" design changes which will add tens of billions to the cost and years to the schedule.

For NAVSEA to accept the Italian frigates without "customization", would mean NAVSEA isn't needed and could be de-funded. This is something a swamp full of .gov bureaucrats will never allow.
View Quote

They WEREN'T accepted without customization.  It's been advertised as based on the Italian (that I thought was French this whole time) ship, but a new class.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Pretty sure the 240 was better that whatever we were fielding at the time of adoption
View Quote

I've never fired the M240, but I can attest to the fact that the M60 is a piece of shit.

It is literally the ONLY firearm that:

1. REQUIRES you to jerk the trigger, lest it jam.

2. Disassembled itself while I was firing it.

It's barely a step above the Italian Breda M30.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The USA should only buy USA citizen designed, fabricated, built, etc.. products from 100% USA interest/ownership entities.

ETA- LOL what am I saying, thats out dated, thats the old USA.. Now the USA is usurped to be whored out, infested, leached off, diseased, killed, chopped up and cannibaliized by global cronies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This kind of bullshit got us the M14 and M60 over the G3, AR10, FAL, and MAG58. In other words, notably inferior designs over "icky foreign and commercial market" ones that actually turned out to work
It also got us LCS over FREMM, Absalon, Ivar Huitfeldt, Type 26, MEKO 200, or some other design that actually fucking works and could have had steel displacing water right now. (The first FREMM ship, in the French Navy, was commissioned 9 years ago, the Dutch De Zeven Provinciën ships have been floating since 2002, etc.)

This class is FREMM based, did better than LockMart's LCS-based horseshit, and has 300 extra tons of armoring, compartmentalizing, and damage control built in to bring it up to USN specs. And it'll be built 100% in the USA, by Americans.

ETA:
Quoted:

They WEREN'T accepted without customization.  It's been advertised as based on the Italian (that I thought was French this whole time) ship, but a new class.

Bingo. Also yes, Italian and French joint design in the FREMM. French got theirs into service before the Italians IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Been to Italy.

No such thing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And please also export some of your hot womenz and I don't mean the Jersey Shore type

Been to Italy.

No such thing

Been to Italy a number of times.

If you think there's no beautiful women there you need to get your eyeglass prescription changed. Or stay out of the gay bars.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you think there's no beautiful women there you need to get your eyeglass prescription changed. Or stay out of the gay bars.
View Quote

Italy showed young me what beautiful women really are.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:15:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any man who doesn't think Sophia Loren was beautiful probably prefers Rock Hudson anyway.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top