BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Getting into police or teaching is prohibitive in most cases. Either you start right after college or .mil, or you might as well forget about it. They make it nearly impossible to transition into either one- plus:
Police make shit $.
Teacher's need a Master's + bullshit certification in most states, just to teach K-8, not even high school.

Retail and factory are laughable $ in 99% of the cases, so nobody wants to do those.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Listening last night to a police officer in a large community and she said they are short staffed. Are people sitting home? Do we have more jobs post covid and not enough workers?

Help me understand.

Getting into police or teaching is prohibitive in most cases. Either you start right after college or .mil, or you might as well forget about it. They make it nearly impossible to transition into either one- plus:
Police make shit $.
Teacher's need a Master's + bullshit certification in most states, just to teach K-8, not even high school.

Retail and factory are laughable $ in 99% of the cases, so nobody wants to do those.

Doesn't sound like shit $

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2021/state-of-california/julie-v-harding/
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2021/state-of-california/julie-v-harding/
View Quote

You're using a captain of the CHP's salary to say LEO's start making good money?

lol try again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Don’t forget hedonists. An alarming number of people think that the purpose of life is to experience as much pleasure as possible.
View Quote

When the money you earn is taxed and inflated away so you can't get ahead hedonism is not a bad alternative.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I tell everyone that the rapture happened,  and we were just left behind.
View Quote

If it did happen, do you really think the media would report it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Transitioning into retail at a front line store employee level isn't an aspirational goal of working adults.

With the covid retirements a number of industries suddenly brought in more people taking the best from the labor pool that was working retail/factory front line. Not enough bodies left from the employment fringes to back fill those positions.

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Teacher?
Cop?
Good God hell no!
Service, retail?
Can’t live where you work, rent/real estate priced way beyond affordable.  Gas, way too expensive to drive.
Perfect Democrat storm!
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When the money you earn is taxed and inflated away so you can't get ahead hedonism is not a bad alternative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don’t forget hedonists. An alarming number of people think that the purpose of life is to experience as much pleasure as possible.

Wrong.

Hedonism is never a good alternative.

Don't internalize "You'll own nothing and you'll be happy".
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Where can I find a job that lets me waller on the couch waiting for the check? Looking for social security in couple of years.  I want a couch job for me and my wife.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You're using a captain of the CHP's salary to say LEO's start making good money?

lol try again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol try again.

I don't know what they're making now, but in 2020 Detroit cops were starting at $19/hr.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think it may be the opposite, kids too wealthy to desire work
View Quote

In my circle of friend it is this.  And ALL of the parents that can afford to give all this cash to their kids so they can not work and have a BMW or Audi are either direct or support for government.  Government workers and workers for companies that support government are so damn overpaid.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]
When people who don't work EAT better than people who work this happens.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I worked in IT for 15 years, some as a server admin but mostly in a Sr. IT support role.

In 2000 I was making $50k at 23 years old.

Looking online (I don't work in IT anymore) many of these jobs are paying in the range of $18-28 hour, 23 years later.

That's bad, and such pay wouldn't get me to drive across the city every day, and be on call to boot
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I worked in IT for 15 years, some as a server admin but mostly in a Sr. IT support role.

Looking online (I don't work in IT anymore) many of these jobs are paying in the range of $18-28 hour, 23 years later.

That's bad, and such pay wouldn't get me to drive across the city every day, and be on call to boot
View Quote

IT seems like something you have to be passionate for which I think is really weird. Being on call? Fuck that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Based @TheWhitePill
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Delivery drivers for Uber and grub hub. I’m convinced that all working age young men have resorted to this so the don’t have any schedule or responsibilities.

Based @TheWhitePill

Hell yeah
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've applied to a couple dozen jobs. Only one called back offering me $14.00/hour as an assistant store manager with 2 years retail experience and 12 years military experience.

There are no serious job offerings out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My city has proclaimed many times that equity, not equality, and diversity are the number one priority in hiring city workers.

That means no huwhite pepo need apply.

My oldest, freshman in college now, started applying everywhere that had a help wanted or now hiring sign.
Rarely got call backs or interviews. One local place she applied at is soon closing and one of their excuses was they could not find applicants. She ended up working food service at a retirement facility part time during high school and full time during summer making decent money and qualified for full benefits.

I sometimes wonder if these cities are bemoaning lack of applicants to lobby for h1bs and illegals filling the jobs.

I've applied to a couple dozen jobs. Only one called back offering me $14.00/hour as an assistant store manager with 2 years retail experience and 12 years military experience.

Some quick advice. 87% of places won’t even consider your military experience.

Find an Amazon distribution center and apply. Being former military will get your foot in the door.

It might suck for a while, but if you want to chase the ring, it is there for the chasing.

I met a woman recently who started at the lowest warehouse level and is now (9 years later) in a very well paid corporate position.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wrong.

View Quote

In some cases it sadly is. Morally it is not a good choice, but if I was a 20 something in this environment I am not sure that I wouldn't go get a butt slut girl and become a van-lifer!  When I got out of university for engineering in 1989 I was making 100k in a few years and I bought a really nice 2400SF 160k house with an acre.  Nice cars were 20k new and gas was cheap along with everything else.  A friends kid is 25 now, got an engineering degree and so is on the same life timeline point as I was.  He makes 85k we think because there are so many H1B Indians coming in taking jobs for less than Americans (had next to none back in 1990's), The house I bought for 160k is now 540K (!!!), cars are 40k and up, and all the other necessities are 2 to 3 times or more higher.  I worked hard because I could buy all the goodies in a reasonable time and start saving. This kid and many others have almost no chance for the same standard of living.  Why put up with the bullshit for that?  If I was in his shoes I wouldn't.  Instead of own nothing and be happy it is "you will work your fucking ass off and have a shitty little place and live next to a bunch of fucking losers that are getting paid by the Democrats to sit around."

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a few fed prisons in TX just apply to one of those.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Pay. That’s the answer. Pay.

It cost about $100k to get to a level below a doctorate in teaching, and that’s the only way you get max pay.

Retail needs to be at about $12 an hour just to make it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

lol try again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol try again.

I thought cops never made decent money?

Julie Harding is an interesting story.

https://www.chp.ca.gov/chp-careers/officer/salary-and-benefits-officer
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

IT seems like something you have to be passionate for which I think is really weird. Being on call? Fuck that.
View Quote

I liked it ok when I first got into the field but it attracted a lot of shitty people who were just there for the money, they had no passion for the job. Add to that corporate bean counters that treat IT like shit...I had enough and quit.

I'm a PhD student now. Granted I'm broke but it beats the hell out of wishing you didn't want to wake up in the morning to go to a real life version of the film 'Office Space'.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#21]
When Covid hit I was managing a team of 30 IT engineers in a large hospital system, server and network some security stuff. Days where long before that 60 to 80 hours, but was working towards a promotion. My guys all worked hard too, even though we where understaffed and under appreciated. Then covid hit everyone got sent home and for weeks it was crazy. We killed it. When merit increase time came around top performers for 1 to 1.5% . Frustration set in but my guys and I realized working from home was saving us a ton of money and time. More time with the family too. So everyone looked the other way.

Fast forward and the boomers decided it was time to come back to the office and everyone including me quit or went to working straight 40 hours no extra effort. The guys that quit took jobs making the same or less but all are working remotely and decided family
Time was more important so they limited their hours.

Me? I turned down a job as a Director and a CTO. I sold my house in Atlanta and paid cash for a house with land in the mountains and I work remotely from here. So does my wife, i put in no extra effort 40 straight now. I spend my free time doing airbnb investing and took about 400k on that last year.... my team is all dialing back on their hours at their new job and doing other things because corporate America didn't appreciate our work. Ultimately I'd guess from those 15 or so guys alone it's probably equats to 8 or 8 full time employees someone has to replace. Why work hard when all you get it more work for the same pay????

Who is John Galt?
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I thought cops never made decent money?

Julie Harding is an interesting story.

https://www.chp.ca.gov/chp-careers/officer/salary-and-benefits-officer
View Quote

His point was that in a lot of places the entry point makes it difficult. Not the case everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Just signs of an impending societal collapse.  It'll be OK.  Move along...
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

But I’ve been assured on here, around once a week or so, that fast food workers will all be fired and replaced by robots before getting a pay raise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ate lunch today at a place that made me wait for a table while they juggled tasks enough to go clean off a table.
I saw a Red Robin close at 4:30pm

But I’ve been assured on here, around once a week or so, that fast food workers will all be fired and replaced by robots before getting a pay raise.

Red Robin isn't fast food.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#25]
That is because at the time finding someone to run a windows server was hard and now they are a dime a dozen flooded market. Now CISO's and LINUX admins are hard to find along with VMWARE.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Exactly.  This is just a stepping stone to the coming feudalism.  There will no longer be "haves and have nots".  It will be a shitload of peasants and a few elitist wealthy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I liked it ok when I first got into the field but it attracted a lot of shitty people who were just there for the money, they had no passion for the job. Add to that corporate bean counters that treat IT like shit...I had enough and quit.

I'm a PhD student now. Granted I'm broke but it beats the hell out of wishing you didn't want to wake up in the morning to go to a real life version of the film 'Office Space'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every person in management should be forced to watch office space each quarter.

All of them should be required to find three ''TPS'' report type items each time they watch it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Lets see ... most of the fucking assclowns are biden supporters.

Less than 1/2 of cops vote (R) ...

Folks are still sucking gubmint teets even today.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Listening last night to a police officer in a large community and she said they are short staffed. Are people sitting home? Do we have more jobs post covid and not enough workers?

Help me understand.
View Quote
Covid showed a lot of couples that after day care ans other expenses related to going to work . Fuel clothes etc . They were breaking even or just making a tiny amount of money .

So many of the less salaried half of the couple is staying home and taking care of the kids
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Teacher shortage is bullshit. Only special Ed, dual language classes, EL and shitty schools have shortages….all of those are shitty jobs becausedemoshitheads ruin education
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Around here starting salary for a cop or teacher is about 50k
I have done both of those jobs in the past; cop for a couple years in early 90's and a teacher for 19 years.
A cop now with all the bullshit? No thanks.
Anybody that has never worked in public schools as a teacher has no clue how hard it can be; use to 50% of teachers quit to do something different in the first five years.
Its not worth it, those jobs should pay way more than what they do; that is why there is a shortage of people who want to do them.
View Quote

We should do away with public schools and stop charging property taxes to fund schools.  If they take as much as they do in property tax and still can't pay the teachers then the system is broken and should go away.

Let the market decide teacher pay.  Private schools will charge what they need for tuition in order to pay their staff and cover overhead plus profits.  And they can fix the bullshit being taught in schools today.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wrong.

View Quote

find a business you can run that profits off the hedonists.

thats what im doing.
house them: land lording
entertain them: sell shit they get off on
bury them: sell supplies to funeral homes and crematories

yes i have  diverse business interests i run
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
id consider being a cop once the pay was150K starting and moved to 250 after a decade, with pension.
fuckt hat job. ungrateful degenerate society hates cops. so... why put up with that

as for factory work. we have a 3rd shift starting at 25 a hour in milwaukee wi which is great pay for the area.
still cant get an employee worth a damn in.
if it goes on much longer, we will be buying from china and reselling only not MFG. that workforce can GFTS. lazy pieces of trash these days.
I have more orders than i know what to do with, but when im operating the shop floor for 3 years  straight vs running a business, its not scalable.
i cant wait for AI to rat fuck all the sectors and people beg for work.
View Quote

$25/hr, in Milwaukee, third shift. Nope not going to happen.
Bars up north are offering that plus tips.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#34]
In my own sphere I know a guy who is a teacher but only works two days as a sub a month just to keep his health insurance.  He tells me he's making $90K/ year delivering groceries.  I see him everytime I go to Meijers.   There are several people in the area who are now working in the weed industry here and it looks to me that a fair amount of Boomers said "Fuck it." and retired during Covid.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#35]
2000k folks at my warehouse...the American are always demanding more..bitching about vending snack quality ...lighting...building temp (1 mill warehouse maintained at 74F) whole parking lot smells like weed vape pens.

Guess what...hispanics are starting to trickle in...more and more...new ESL classes...wall of international flags. I see the % bump up almost weekly. They show up and don't fuss...wont more OT..not more UPT.

You never see them posting on the complaint board.

I get it...I love my Country but its filled with adult infants who are demanding and yet lazy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

average household income in south milwaukee is 52K. thats with 1.4 earners per house on avg.
the 3rd shift part sucks. but its also has 0 pre requisites other than show up, be sober and attempt to do a good job
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#37]
People are giving up.

New apartment complex in town. 3 bedroom is over $3k a month.

New housing development going in. Townhomes $250k. Houses $450k-600k

This is an area that is 'economically depressed'.

What kind of income do you need to comfortably afford a $600k house? $200k a year?

There must be a shortage of houses for doctors and lawyers because that's the only type of housing that's been built around here in the last few years and they just announced more of them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

average household income in south milwaukee is 52K. thats with 1.4 earners per house on avg.
the 3rd shift part sucks. but its also has 0 pre requisites other than show up, be sober and attempt to do a good job
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the alternative is quitting manufacturing and reselling, what is your max hourly that would make manufacturing a better option?
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
People are giving up.

New apartment complex in town. 3 bedroom is over $3k a month.

New housing development going in. Townhomes $250k. Houses $450k-600k

This is an area that is 'economically depressed'.

What kind of income do you need to comfortably afford a $600k house? $200k a year?

There must be a shortage of houses for doctors and lawyers because that's the only type of housing that's been built around here in the last few years and they just announced more of them.
View Quote

this is the part i dont get.
whos renting this shit at such high prices.
buying a nice house i get. but renting it makes no sense.
renting B- and C class properties, sure makes sense.

the market for A class top drawer housing just seems like a saturated market, and yet they fill up. and more are built
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

this is the part i dont get.
whos renting this shit at such high prices.
buying a nice house i get. but renting it makes no sense.
renting B- and C class properties, sure makes sense.

the market for A class top drawer housing just seems like a saturated market, and yet they fill up. and more are built
View Quote

The only thing I can figure is that we are seeing what I think are called perverse incentives. It's not as bad as the ghost cities of China, at least not yet.

When you have a bunch of coked out hedge fund managers and their politican country club buddies pumping the economy where they want it to go as opposed to where it should go, well...
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Covid showed a lot of couples that after day care ans other expenses related to going to work . Fuel clothes etc . They were breaking even or just making a tiny amount of money .

So many of the less salaried half of the couple is staying home and taking care of the kids
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Help me understand.

Apparently a lot of daycare spaces that were there before Covid no longer exist, too. Between the cost of daycare and the difficulty of finding spaces, I know a lot of women who’ve quit work since Covid.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$34/hr 3rd shift Ixonia.
Same requirements, and I don't have to deal with Milwaukee.
The income numbers don't matter, what matters is housing, food, transportation and the area.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

On top of all the Welfare programs I named above, don't forget massive disability/worker's comp fraud, which can then also get you a bunch of the welfare/public assistance money.

And people get their kids diagnosed with all kinds of things to get them on SSI. In some parts of the country everyone in the house might be on disability for some bullshit. They call it different things, "draw check", "crazy check", etc.

You know those free "Obama phones?"     They don't really verify anything for many of them. People go around and get 10 or more under different fake names and sell them. The phones get reloaded monthly with minutes and data.

There are a million hustles like this.
View Quote

Every night when I get off work around 10 pm, I get to drive down the main party drive on the way out of town. In between the several nightclubs and bars are several informal party locations with grills, coolers, and music. They apparently sell lots of choice grilled meats and chilled drinks at affordable prices. Ever get stuck in line in Walmart with your budget hamburger and generic sodas behind a cart full of ribeyes and namebrand  sodas, only to see them pay with an EBT and then pay for their smokes and beer with lots of cash, and cart it all out to their Escalade?
    Everyone around here who wants to be on disability knows exactly which "doctor" to go to to get the necessary documentation.
    Apparently it's common knowledge around here at least where to apply for a job in order to get the required rejections to continue to receive unemployment for the maximum length of time. And the employment office employees are notoriously complicit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If the alternative is quitting manufacturing and reselling, what is your max hourly that would make manufacturing a better option?
View Quote

id made more money reselling at present wages. also would have 400% more time to devote to marketing and growth of sales.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:50:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I will say life is much more frustrating because of inflation and outrageous housing costs.  In the Baltimore - Washington area $550,000 gets you a 2000 sqft townhome maybe with a one car garage.  Houses in the $600,000 to $700,000 range are still selling.  I have no idea what these people do for a living.  I make good money, and I'm still renting because I'm waiting for prices to come down.  They keep saying a recession is around the corner, but nothing ever happens.

They can't find construction workers, and there are still part shortages.  I was talking with a gal who works for a developer building multifamily housing.  They have a few complexes completely finished except for electrical.  They are waiting for parts that are supposed to be delivered in three months.  

My goal is to get a job with my agency in Winchester VA where the housing costs are more reasonable.  A lot of this is being driven by energy prices.  The asshole in the white house is really fucking everyone over on oil and gas prices.  Green energy is a joke.  They need to drill for more oil, expand oil refineries (or build more) and build more nuclear power plants. But the environmental assholes won't allow it, and they control the Dem party.  The conservatives really fucked up years ago when the let the Dems take over education.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:52:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

id made more money reselling at present wages. also would have 400% more time to devote to marketing and growth of sales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a no brainer, but it does expose you to a different supply chain.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Add nurses
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:57:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sounds like a no brainer, but it does expose you to a different supply chain.
View Quote

thats the main holdup.
deep enough pockets to stock a years worth of inventory should alleviate some of those issues...
but still a issue
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My guess is that they have given up on life.

Many people are coming to the conclusion that modern corporatist western civilization just isn't worth the effort to keep it afloat. So they are finding lots of nice little holes to crawl into where they can wait for the end to come.

These trends have been in place since the 2008 financial crisis. Covidiocy accelerated them to a phenomenal degree.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:35:18 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm a "factory worker" I'll lay out my experience as best I can.

Started out in 2006 making $12/HR. It's now 2023 and I'm making $40/HR and I've moved up a position. Near the top of all hourly positions in the plant, large manufacturing company.

So 2006 was $24960 base pay.

2023 83,200 base pay.

Now once you figure in Taxes, Insurance, Health savings account and 15% towards a 401K my take home pay is ~55% of my gross pay.

So, take home $45,760 base or a $3813 a month.

I have 17 years of seniority and get 4 weeks of vacation a year (got my 4th week after 15 years 5th week comes at 25 years) I don't have enough seniority to work dayshift in my department.

I have a small company funded pension that will be fully paid at age 65. Eligibility for this ended in 2012.

There are over a 100 open positions. Starting pay $22-24/hr. Most younger people work a couple years and bail. I can't blame them. The idea of delaying a dayshift spot for possibly a decade while climbing the production ladder along with the realization that they will be forever tied to a timeclock doesn't appeal to folks any more. Lots of ways to make money without clocking in at the plant.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top