Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a tag. Your students are amazing
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Decorative Arts involves the decoration of items which have another primary use.  Engraving on guns. Quilting on bedclothes.  Carvings on sea chests.

Taxidermy is sculpture.  It's primary function is to be seen/experienced.  Classical taxidermy used raw materials from a harvested animal.  This uses artificial materials.  That's no difference from sculpting with steel versus quarried stone, or painting with acrylics on board versus oil on canvas.
View Quote
Sorry, but no.

A prostitute's primary function is to be seen/experienced, but she is neither art nor sculpture.

Of course, you could take the Dadaist view that anything is art if you call it art. Picasso did it in 1943 with a bicycle seat and a set of handlebars. Marcel Duchamp did it in 1917 with a porcelain urinal.

Both presaged what came to be the late 20th century's schools of Conceptual Art and Installation Art, like Christo's Wrapped Reichstag of 1971:

You won't find taxidermy in any art history book ever published since the beginning of time.

That's not a put-down of people who do it or people who like it. But unlike the visionary Dada movement, calling it art does not make it so.

But in a respectful tribute to the OP, unicorns were the subject of art throughout history, most notably during the Humanist period of the Early Renaissance. Here's a Northern example by Albrecht Durer, whose work I've studied and researched for almost 50 years. It's called "The Abduction of Proserpine on a Unicorn".

ETA: Correct punctuation is art.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I've always wondered what art history majors actually did for a living.  Pretty sure it's not arguing what is and what isn't art though. 
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#5]
In to watch this go down. Also, if any letters need to be written to the ninnies on the board, let me know and I'll give them my thoughts on the matter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Robert Vavra photographed horses with strap-on horns ... (pause for the usual jokes) ... if you want to use his images as reference. He did have a website, but it appears to be down now. Most of his unicorn images are availble online.

FWIW, unicorns are usually depicted with beards and cloven hooves.

Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
dupe -- deleted

(Friggin' quote button!)
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#8]
dupe -- deleted
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Dupe -- deleted
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Bedazzling...just saying.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Sweeeeet missed this one

TAG
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I still think the centaur/unicorn/pegasus monstrosity should be tried.  Heck, put boar's tusks on it too.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, My guess is the "horse girls" in the class have Quarter Horses which if you wanna be technically correct is not the correct horse to use as a baseline for a Unicorn.  

The base horse that is ALWAYS used for a unicorn is an Andalusian. here's a pic of one in the pose like yours.  Notice the ear size and nose shape.  on any horse model the ears and nose are the hardest part as they can distort the whole image.

Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've always wondered what art history majors actually did for a living.  Pretty sure it's not arguing what is and what isn't art though. 
View Quote
Most art history majors can look forward to a long and rewarding career at Starbucks. A curatorship at an art museum is typically lifelong appointment, so those jobs don't open up very often.

This one pursued a career in graphic design, then interactive media, then corporate photography and video, then web design, and currently marketing and sales.

I spend my spare time arguing with taxidermists on arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This was done for us in the other "official" build thread.
Thanks Mak_380!

Newest and current "official" build thread.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/ALL-ABOARD-OFFICIAL-Student-Build-Baldwin-4-4-0-Locomotive-Update-8-25-pg2/5-2025503/
View Quote
Thanks for posting that video -  awesome projects!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#16]
this is really cool. do the kids know they are on arf?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd like to have anyone stand in front of the two gals who are sculpting the ears of our unicorn and tell them taxidermy isn't "Art" .   There was almost a fight today between two good friends over horse ears.  

The location, size, and position of the ears was a huge problem and cause lots of arguing.    They are both "Horse Gals" too, so the subject is dear to them and you could see the passion in their arguments.  We finally settled for what we think is correct.    Tomorrow we are hoping to get them secured with clay, then covered with the burlap.  
View Quote
Hey Guns hint that they don't become nurses, it will save the future husband troubles
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I just wanted to say that you are an amazing teacher and truly hope you have many more years of this in your future.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Have the horn growing out of the back.  At an art convention you will have no problem finding riders.
View Quote
UH, I was thinking more of the hot wood nymph in leaf bikini...
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Apparently I'm late to this party.

When someone says, "A unicorn?????!!!", just smile and reply, "It was delicious!"
View Quote
You could give them some canned meat too.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e5a7/
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You could give them some canned meat too.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/frontsquare/e5a7_canned_unicorn_meat.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e5a7/
View Quote
With a little sign on the mount that says, "Mom????".
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Most think it is just a blog.

Some know the truth.

Some have found the threads in  years past and actually commented in them; even pretended to be from TX.    

I miss the boat crew.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Update 8/30

We finished up the burlap today, and students started building the horn.  Agsin, there was much discussion about the length.  

This was deemed later to be too long.  So it was cut down.  The end of the shaft ans bottom of the horn will be inserted into a hole drilled in the head to add stability and strength.  

After being wrapped and ready for texture.  We are low on epoxy putty, so we bought some "water putty" today.  Not sure it will work but it showed some promise if we can keep it from drying out too quickly.

We will try tomorrow to do a little coiling around the horn for texture.
Notice the cut down and shortened length.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP, My guess is the "horse girls" in the class have Quarter Horses which if you wanna be technically correct is not the correct horse to use as a baseline for a Unicorn.  

The base horse that is ALWAYS used for a unicorn is an Andalusian. here's a pic of one in the pose like yours.  Notice the ear size and nose shape.  on any horse model the ears and nose are the hardest part as they can distort the whole image.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/67/5d/28/675d287e5a1bc979bf17456ab13bd9b3.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, well, in WY, Unicorns look like ours.

Especially if I can make the hunting photos happen.  Not sure if orange is required for unicorn hunting or not,  but a good ghillie helps.  I forget what gun was used to shoot this one....   that may have to be decided later.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice mural over the sink!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#27]
The Walters ART Museum in Baltimore is hosting its 3rd annual taxidermy open on Thursday Sept. 7.
It will feature " vibrant" contemporary taxidermy alongside items in the museum' s collection.

And yes they have a narwhal/unicorn horn. It is one of the most eclectic museums I have ever see.

Hmm, seems like taxi IS an art.
Except for mine.
There's a reason I call mine 10 Yard Taxidermy...
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Update 8/31

Today was a day of cutting glass into small pieces.   There is a lot of real estate to cover, so that took much of the day from most of the students who are working on this.  

One of my lead students did some work with epoxy on the eye, sculpting the eye lids.   We may do a few more details in there as we get further down the road after this dries.  
This epoxy is called "All Game".    It's water soluable and amazing to sculpt with.   It can be thinned out to almost translucent.  It's drying time is a few hours, so there is plenty of time for details.  It also forms a skin on the outer layer that allows you to push into it and produce very natural indentations.  

I was hoping our fiber optic bundles would be here tomorrow, but I'm not seeing a notice from UPS, so it will probably be Tuesday.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Shades of Westworld...
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Some know the truth.

Some have found the threads in  years past and actually commented in them; even pretended to be from TX.    

I miss the boat crew.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some know the truth.

I miss the boat crew.
SPIES I tell you! SPIES!

Wassup spies!
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah, well, in WY, Unicorns look like ours.

Especially if I can make the hunting photos happen.  Not sure if orange is required for unicorn hunting or not,  but a good ghillie helps.  I forget what gun was used to shoot this one....   that may have to be decided later.
View Quote
You serious Clark? Unicorn hunter's camouflage depends on whether you are going for trophy or meat. 

If looking for a trophy, the male wears a tailored suit, polished shoes, short hair with a bit of gray, and the female wears a tasteful, VERY expensive cocktail dress, with subtle hints at what is (or isn't) underneath.

Meat hunters wear a black collared shirt with the top 4 buttons open and gold chain covering 5-10% of the exposed skin, an earring, and more than one jeweled ring.  The female wears something revealing, and likely made of fishnet, an ankle bracelet, and a "tasteful" (given a wide range of tastes) tattoo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I want to see a unicorn with a horn capable of impaling and flinging a 150 pound man

none of this oh how pretty unicorn

if a horse had a defensive horn, it would be stout and rather well attached
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Patricia Piccinini (born 1965 in Freetown, Sierra Leone) is an Australian artist who works in a variety of media, including painting, video, sound, installation, digital prints, and sculpture. She completed a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting at the Victorian College of the Arts in 1991.[1] In 2014 she received the Artist Award from the Melbourne Art Foundation's Awards for the Visual Arts.

In a 2014 interview with the Sydney Morning Herald, Piccinini said of her work, "It's about evolution, nature – how nature is such a wonderful thing, we're just here to witness it, it's not here for us – genetic engineering, changing the body. Following her 2014 win in the Melbourne Art Foundation's Awards, she went on to say that:

The thing about this award on some levels is that my work ... all of it has this first impact, the sort of impact of spectacle. It's beautifully made, strong, aesthetic, so people are interested in that and it draws them in, and then they get interested in the idea. It takes a while to get to the idea. It's not easy. So this award says, "We get it, we get what you're trying to do, we've gone beyond the surface, we can see that there are ideas underneath, and these ideas are about the opportunity for connection".
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#36]
School in Wyoming looks a lot different than what I remember in the 80's. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well, it's going to look exactly like a REAL unicorn, it just won't have a hairy skin. It will have a horses mane, as my crazy students have already volunteered their horses tails .  

We are going to sculpt a horn with epoxy putty to look like a gemsbok's.  We were going to buy one, but I think they can sculpt one.  It will prove my point even more by doing it that way.  
View Quote
Use some kind of glass dildo for the horn.
They may get the message.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Tag for awesomeness.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you ever get back for a visit let us know.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've still got old family friends in Gillette, and I'd love to make it back someday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#41]

That stuff if pretty damn cool.  

I'll show that on Tuesday when we get back.   Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Update 9/1

This student had a fantastic idea today, and at first I said "no" but after talking it out with her, I think it's doable.    

We were going to cut out the back of the form as seen in the photo, then cover with a rock mix to look like our other taxidermy mounts, but then she suggested we make it look like a geode.    Hmmmm...   I didn't think it would work, but after we talked out the idea, it should look pretty cool.  

We are going to put traditional rock mix around the outer edge, then use black glass to tile the insides.   I'm going to look around and see if we can find some kind of cheap crystals we could incorporate into the inside.   We are thinking dark purple or black.   Anyone have a link to something we can get for cheap?  

We were then thinking of putting a mirror under the Unicorn, and make it look like part of a pond to help show off the work above.  
I'm really liking where this is taking us.  

She used the generously donated saws-all to cut back into the form and cut out the different shapes.  Some were pried out with a screwdriver and broke off giving us even more textures.  

We will re-apply burlap, then the other materials.

ETA: fiber optics were delivered today.    Some of those strands could also be incorporated into the geode portion of the mount.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Wife is going to be pissed.....

$50 more of 5lbs purple, 3lbs light purple, and 3lbs clear fire-pit glass crystals are on their way.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I like the mount idea.  Very creative.

Important question, will there be three unicorns on the t-shirt?   Or will your train be pulling a car w/ a unicorn in it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I think this will look so cool when your class is done. I already subscribed but I like the mirror idea.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Important question, will there be three unicorns on the t-shirt?   Or will your train be pulling a car w/ a unicorn in it?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Logo on the side of the cab?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got a new High School since you left town and a very nice new Tech School.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Update 9/1

This student had a fantastic idea today, and at first I said "no" but after talking it out with her, I think it's doable.    

We were going to cut out the back of the form as seen in the photo, then cover with a rock mix to look like our other taxidermy mounts, but then she suggested we make it look like a geode.    Hmmmm...   I didn't think it would work, but after we talked out the idea, it should look pretty cool.  

We are going to put traditional rock mix around the outer edge, then use black glass to tile the insides.   I'm going to look around and see if we can find some kind of cheap crystals we could incorporate into the inside.   We are thinking dark purple or black.   Anyone have a link to something we can get for cheap?  

We were then thinking of putting a mirror under the Unicorn, and make it look like part of a pond to help show off the work above.  
I'm really liking where this is taking us.  

She used the generously donated saws-all to cut back into the form and cut out the different shapes.  Some were pried out with a screwdriver and broke off giving us even more textures.  

We will re-apply burlap, then the other materials.

ETA: fiber optics were delivered today.    Some of those strands could also be incorporated into the geode portion of the mount.  
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4398/36795030112_8eab1dc771_h.jpg
View Quote
I like her idea-a lot! As for cheap crystals, would the "crystal growing kits" give a durable result? See them in stores all the time but have no idea how long the finished product lasts.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top