User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He shouldn’t give the step siblings jack shit and they don’t deserve it, and the father is an asshole for even asking/telling him.

This may be made up, but it isn’t uncommon, it somewhat happened to me. My Dad (dead) literally told me I should leave everything I have to his illegitimate kid, while saying he (the dad) wasn’t leaving me anything, and after he died we found out he had been withdrawing money from our deceased grandparents estate for “expenses” (which was allowed) and parking the money elsewhere. He literally took every dime of gains over the course of 8yrs (you know, when the stock market has increased a lot.)

He and his wife likely didn’t give a shit because I have more money than them, but he royally fucked over my cousins.

In the end, no matter what you think of your parent, the current spouse (and their protection of their children) will likely trump you. When it comes to money, trust no one.

I feel sorry for the kid in the original post, bad position.

At 18 it is. That kid could park the money in investments and he would have a huge jump on a majority of people even in their middle age. Go get a job/education and act like the money doesn’t exist unless it’s a legitimate emergency. He would have a pile in 20-30yrs if it was invested wisely. Shit, even take a bit of the gains in a good year and go travel a bit.
View Quote

What did you say to your dad
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If I want to read Reddit, I know how to get there.  I don't need you to repost it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is reddit full of people that like to talk smack about other people's problems? Like they don't have enough problems of their own they go out to find somebody else's problems to bitch about? LOL

<Snip>

View Quote
We that live in glass houses shouldn't be casting stones...
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This. WTF is with the infiltration of this reddit garbage?
View Quote

Maybe pumping numbers for the ipo?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

Starting with $500-1000k at 18 is basically a life cheat code if managed well.  Makes one look dumb to try and downplay it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

Invested reasonably it's fucking huge at that age.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#7]
$500K at 18y old isn't chump change.

That's a jump start to retirement.

Throw it into investments and he'll be wealthy in 20-30 years.

It's his money not the extended family.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The grandparents need to hold it until he is 18 or it will get stole.
Theres a bunch a lawyers who who love to get a chunk of that representing the dad and the steps.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

For a 17 year old thats life changing money. But i forgot arf is full of billionaires.
View Quote

With his time horizon and smart investments, he could be set for life.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

Then send me 500k asap
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Starting with $500-1000k at 18 is basically a life cheat code if managed well.  Makes one look dumb to try and downplay it.
View Quote

500k can be a game changer to anyone( Upper, Middle or Lower class), if utilized correctly.

paid off mortgage
100-200K invested at 18 would be wicked.
buy or start up a business
pay for any trade and education
vehicles

Browning Citori's
Wilson handguns
Custom rifles

Ammo Forts

you name it. its can be the start of FU money.

I speak from experience. there is a security of owning your own house, land and being able to walk away from a shitty job at any time. Management is truly aware of your ability to not be pressured into situations where you don't want to work in.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Think about not talking about your fortune.  Nothing good comes from it .nothing.  It seems to be un-naturally common to do so.  Not anyone else's business.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Half a million will barely get you anything these days
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are the GD billionaires here yet talking about how this kid is a poor and that's not a lot of money for his age? Asking for a friend.

Half a million will barely get you anything these days
$500,000 at 18 is a HUGE headstart.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Coming into large amounts of money almost always completely ruins peoples lives.

For the rest it just ruins their lives a bit less than completely.

Even people who are used to handling large amounts of money responsibly do bad with windfalls.

One of the greatest posts I've seen on this forum so far, on the topic:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Austrian_s_Semi_Annual_Guide_For_Recent_Lottery_Winners__Or_Deluded_Hopefuls__Post/5-828009/
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote
Most of us didn't even have a car to start off with at 17. Any amount of money would have been noteworthy, certainly several hundred thousand dollars.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's a house and car
View Quote

He’s 17.  Fuck the house and car.  Invest it and build an early retirement. That money puts him so far ahead of the curve at that age it isn’t even funny.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wrong, at least for an 18 year old.

If invested conservatively that will easily secure his retirement. He may not be smart enough to do that, but it’s certainly possible. Knowing you can retire comfortably at a reasonable age is worth a lot.
View Quote

I just retired and I’m going to tell my kids to save any inheritance for retirement.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Coming into large amounts of money almost always completely ruins peoples lives.

For the rest it just ruins their lives a bit less than completely.

Even people who are used to handling large amounts of money responsibly do bad with windfalls.

One of the greatest posts I've seen on this forum so far, on the topic:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Austrian_s_Semi_Annual_Guide_For_Recent_Lottery_Winners__Or_Deluded_Hopefuls__Post/5-828009/
View Quote

yes it is.
I actually followed some of it after my legal case.

there are so many people whose business is actually siphoning off your cash. handle it all yourself and with an attorney and CPA
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top