Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
'69 or '70 Mustang sportsroof body style.  Pick a trim level.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Irkle says this is sexiest classic car.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Taking Richard Petty’s Superbird out for a spin:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C9LFgsLQATc&t=6m50s
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm comfortable with people not agreeing with me on how the car looks, but I'm absolutely blown away by how many people don't know what a Daytona was for
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Not true. This is peak automotive beauty:

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The latest big car auction that was on Direct TV had a lot of cars that looked better.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I agree.  That's a beauty.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
THIS
Is beautiful. Jaguar C type
View Quote

Now we're talking...
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Beautiful, no. Badass, maybe.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#10]
They've always been regarded as ridiculously ugly but functional.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#12]
It looks good, but there are far better looking cars from that era, IMO.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Singer. Perfection.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#14]
OP lists the selling price of 1.32 million. Don't forget there is a 10% buyers premium on top of that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#15]
LS Swap and get it rolling on 22s!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Dude, really ?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The wedge on the front looks like an afterthought.    Would look better without it.
View Quote

That was always my thought.

You had the 3rd generation Barracuda. Which was beautiful.

You had the road runner, which wasn’t as pretty. And they said, “Let’s take it up notch!”

And that’s what they came up with.

It was king in terms of power. But maybe one of the ugliest cars ever produced.

Someone has commented on the nose and wing looking like an afterthought. Most I have seen have quite visible fitment issues with the nose cone. It’s one thing to have the nose look stylistically out of place. I can live with funky. But it’s another to look like it was attached on the side of the road with no light and baling wire. It’s easy to see the gaps on those cars from quite a distance.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I always thought those charger daytonas and super birds looked goofy.  Weird front bumper/nose thing and absurd spoiler that looks how a spoiler would look if you gave an 8-year-old a box of crayons and told them to design a spoiler.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#19]
It was always awkward looking and unnatural.  Adding stuff can work aerodynamically but it's absurd to say the add ons enhanced the looks in this case.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Always reminded me of an old torpedo or an ironclad. Something heavy, slow, and shitty at turning.
View Quote

Perfectly suited for Nascar!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
ah the automotive equivalent of a platypus.
View Quote
Plymouth Platypus. Definitely makes more sense than Superbird.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Now, we're talking.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not even in the top 100 beautiful cars
View Quote

Agreed.  Always thought they were one of the ugliest, worst body styles ever dreamed up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not the number one but dude....
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#26]
The beauty of that car was not in its looks.
Looks are subjective.

The beauty is in the fact that companies truly had to sell a number of the cars they raced.
And that the average working guy could by a car like that.
And went with sliderules and drafting boards came up with a car whose aerodynamics stood as a record holder for decades.
A design so good that average track speeds of 200mph were obtained for the first time.
A car that performed so well that Petty quit until Plymouth made him a Roadrunner version so he could use a similar car.
A car so ahead performance wise tire technology was too far behind for the speeds, aero cars were banned because of too many crashes from tire failures.

It is a time capsule from American excellence when we were the dominant world leader in everything.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That was always my thought.

You had the 3rd generation Barracuda. Which was beautiful.

You had the road runner, which wasn’t as pretty. And they said, “Let’s take it up notch!”

And that’s what they came up with.

It was king in terms of power. But maybe one of the ugliest cars ever produced.

Someone has commented on the nose and wing looking like an afterthought. Most I have seen have quite visible fitment issues with the nose cone. It’s one thing to have the nose look stylistically out of place. I can live with funky. But it’s another to look like it was attached on the side of the road with no light and baling wire. It’s easy to see the gaps on those cars from quite a distance.
View Quote

The car was not designed from an aesthetics standpoint.
The second Gen Charger was looked at for improved aerodynamics.  
The Charger 500 model went to a convex vs concave rear window.
The Daytona went from this to a front nose, vented front fenders, and massive rear wing downforce.
They could not race the model - when NASCAR was truly a competition of models like you could go buy- unless they sold a number to the public.  These cars came off the regular production line partially completed, and were slapped to completion by a contractor.

Even for the standards of fit, paint, etc. for the time- they hit the dealers a touch unrefined.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I always thought those charger daytonas and super birds looked goofy.  Weird front bumper/nose thing and absurd spoiler that looks how a spoiler would look if you gave an 8-year-old a box of crayons and told them to design a spoiler.

View Quote

But in reality it was all function driving form.

It’s like saying an SR-71 looks ridiculous for a plane, and looks like some kid drew a spaceship.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Goofy looking shit-green doorstop, almost as bad as a 70's chrysler. Should have gone for 1200 bucks on Craigslist.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Always thought they were one of the ugliest, worst body styles ever dreamed up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The body style was actually the best from an aerodynamics standpoint for decades.
It was not dreamed up.

Subjectively, whether you love it, are ambivalent, or hate it, no prob.  Looks are subjective.

The most beautiful car of all time to me is the Ford GT40.
And it pained me about 15 years ago when the sticker price of the Ford GT of about 150K was too much for me to get one as a weekend toy.
Other people hate the look.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The body style was actually the best from an aerodynamics standpoint for decades.
It was not dreamed up.

Subjectively, whether you love it, are ambivalent, or hate it, no prob.  Looks are subjective.

And it pained me about 15 years ago when the sticker price of the Ford GT of about 150K was too much for me to get one as a weekend toy.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/3E7AA4CF-FA66-4E1E-B794-012ABDF5E611.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/2CB8BADC-F590-44A2-A505-00E9E348DDD0.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

View Quote
I agree, I like in the movie when Ken Miles says to Shelby "if this is a beauty contest, we just lost" when they push the Ferraris past them. I disagree, the Ford is sexy AF
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The car was not designed from an aesthetics standpoint.
The second Gen Charger was looked at for improved aerodynamics.  
The Charger 500 model went to a convex vs concave rear window.
The Daytona went from this to a front nose, vented front fenders, and massive rear wing downforce.
They could not race the model - when NASCAR was truly a competition of models like you could go buy- unless they sold a number to the public.  These cars came off the regular production line partially completed, and were slapped to completion by a contractor.

Even for the standards of fit, paint, etc. for the time- they hit the dealers a touch unrefined.
View Quote

I know it wasn’t. I never said it was. And I acknowledged it was king for its day.  Isn’t t it Joe Dirt’s dream car?

The interesting detail about the “production” requirement for NASCAR is that Superbirds sat on lots not selling precisely because they were so ugly. You’d think such a superior performing car would sell like crazy, but it didn’t.

All your points about NASCAR neutering aero cars’ motor sizes because (when unrestricted) they went faster than tire technology was capable of supporting are spot on. Unlike what the one poster said about them being heavy, slow and poor steering, the Superbird actually was extremely fast. It just went extremely fast extremely ugly as well.

You know, space shuttles go fast. But a P-51 is still so much sexier.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#35]

or

IMO.

Honorable mention to the DB5
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It was not dreamed up.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/3E7AA4CF-FA66-4E1E-B794-012ABDF5E611.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/2CB8BADC-F590-44A2-A505-00E9E348DDD0.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

View Quote

I’m with you on the GT’s. Sexier than Ferrari every day of the week,
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Daytonas/Superbirds are fascinating cars that I really enjoy seeing in the wild.

The sales price for this is baffling; I wouldn't have thought that they would go for that kind of money without some serious race provenance. Obviously it's very rare and has had a quality resto done but still...

This is also optioned oddly with it's 4.10 gearing; why bother with a Daytona and it's weird aero body if you aren't going to go 200 MPH?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:27:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I agree, my favorite car ever made.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:28:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It was not dreamed up.

View Quote

No one in their right mind hates the look of the GT40 or FGT.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:48:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Lol, that car will never be driven,,let alone on a public road. Just expensive eye candy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some illegal with no insurance will probably hit it.

Lol, that car will never be driven,,let alone on a public road. Just expensive eye candy
Ultra high-end collector cars are just baseball cards for the wealthy.

That said I have a real erection for non-High Impact Color, poverty cap MoPars.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top