Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/17/2022 8:23:31 AM EDT
A Georgia couple gave up a 2,000-square-foot home for an 860-square-foot Home Depot shed.

Nick Lucido and his wife, Meghan, found themselves in financial trouble, which forced them to sell their home in the town of Cumming.

"We never missed a mortgage payment," Nick told The Post. "We were both just really young   young professionals. And we had two brand new cars, brand new house, and we were just over our head in debt."

In March 2020, at the stateside onset of the coronavirus pandemic, the Lucidos purchased a plot of land spanning 8.46 acres for $40,000.

"We saw a two-story shed in the Home Depot parking lot, and said 'I think we could make that work.'"

From there, they purchased the shed and starting slowly working to turn it into a home.

According to Nick, they lived in a camper van until the shed was ready for use.

They revealed, in an Instagram post, that this unusual move led them to being debt-free, paying off $82,000 in nine months.

In a now-viral TikTok video, with nearly 2 million views, Nick showed off the shed house.

“If you go to any Home Depot, at least in the southeast, you go inside of their parking lot, you’ll typically see sheds … this right here is actually a tiny home, Tuff shed from Home Depot, two stories, 860 square feet, one-bedroom, full kitchen, full living room, the porch, then of course we got a chicken coop back there … a deck with our above-ground pool and a trampoline for the little one, of course.”

Many of Nick’s followers were curious to know where their son slept.

The TikToker decided to do a full interior house tour, where he showed viewers his son’s crib in the sole bedroom.

mOAR
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#1]
And it passed code inspection?
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Minimalist lifestyle endorsed by the hard left. "You will own nothing and be happy." The state will probably foreclose for back due property taxes.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Good for them.
They realized they were in over their head and took the steps to get on a path of financial responsibility and freedom.
And paid off their obligations instead of just filing bankruptcy.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Good for them but the eye of Sauron is about to focus on their tiny home and how it’s permitted.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I admit I've walked around one of those and thought it would make a kickass mountain house.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe, maybe not.
There are no code enforcements in rural areas in Texas. Yes I know, that’s not Texas. On a septic yes, but not required or enforced on structures.

I know a guy that builds a cabin very similar to that for people. Builds the hell out of them. Many as hunting or weekend cabins but quite a few as homes.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol
Country living
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good for them but the eye of Sauron is about to focus on their tiny home and how it's permitted.
View Quote
I wish I'd said that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously? Who gives a shit. It's a shed they chose to live out of.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good for them.
They realized they were in over their head and took the steps to get on a path of financial responsibility and freedom.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I admit I've walked around one of those and thought it would make a kickass mountain house.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I mean kinda cool. Some people here are gonna bash them but they bought something that's not on their parents land, made a shed work for a house and sold it for a profit.

What’s to hate outside of you not doing that? They also paid off their debts and didn’t do so by declaring BK meaning no tax payer burden known.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#14]
There has to more to the story. That had to put another 100k or so building that full kitchen, wood floors, walls, etc in that "shed".
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Supposedly he's sold it. If he was upfront in all his declarations in the sale, it's the new owners problem.

Quoted:
There has to more to the story. That had to put another 100k or so building that full kitchen, wood floors, walls, etc in that "shed".

Of course there is. It wouldn't be viral if it was completely honest. Those things are only $20-30k, but it's just the structure. You'll need a foundation, insulation, electrical, plumbing, flooring, sheetrock, paint, etc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#16]
That's the biggest shed I ever saw. It's literally the size of a house.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Story seems a little off as told, but I guess if it worked for them.

I’d like one of those as a shack on a parcel of empty land.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good for them.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell yes, that would make a great hunting lodge or guest house.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah the tiny homes HD sells are just basic frameworks. You have to add insulation, drywall, plumbing, tile/floor, electric, etc.

Still, good on them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#22]
They fixed it up pretty nice. Good for them making the necessary lifestyle cuts to improve their finances and move ahead in life.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I am in the south never seen a 2 story shed at home depot.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#24]
If you're really really rural, sure. But the tax man cometh for your shed now because you had to get you some 'views'. If you'd kept your mouth shut, you'd have been able to keep enjoying it.

It's just a matter of time now before you see people renting sheds in their yards to people. Then none of will be able to have a shed, at least not without 'inspections' to make sure that there's no income.

Fuck, this country is swirling in the toilet. We're not free at all, and it happened at the local level.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't seen one in an HD parking lot since since 2020, but they used to be a display at every store.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you're really really rural, sure. But the tax man cometh for your shed now because you had to get you some 'views'. If you'd kept your mouth shut, you'd have been able to keep enjoying it.
View Quote
They already sold it for a profit and moved back to a traditional house.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A Georgia couple gave up a 2,000-square-foot home for an 860-square-foot Home Depot shed.
View Quote

860 square feet isn't bad for a couple, even with a couple small kids.  People forget those 1950's single floor ranch homes with 3 bedrooms and one bath that were about that size.  

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#29]
This must be the shed model in question or at least close to it:

a TWO STORY Home Depot Tuff Shed Conversion (YOU CAN LIVE IN!!)

Looks like less crappy of construction than I would have expected from anything you buy at Home Depot which is a plus.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#30]
That is pretty nice, my wife and I could definitely live in something like that.  That said, it isn’t a shed.  It’s a small house built by a company called “Tuff Shed”.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

That code stuff if often nonexistent in many rural areas.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That is pretty nice, my wife and I could definitely live in something like that.  That said, it isn’t a shed.  It’s a small house built by a company called “Tuff Shed”.
View Quote

Yeah, not even a tiny home really.  That's just a straight up small house and if you get it set on a proper foundation I don't really know that there would be much difference once it's all finished out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#33]
A trampoline for the little one and a chicken coup, of course..

Mortgage and two brands new cars and tons of debt. Professionals? Yea, professional idiots
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's the biggest shed I ever saw. It's literally the size of a house.
View Quote
No shit, my previous was 825sqft and that was plenty big for 2 people. My current is 520sqft which is plenty for me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So I guess the moral of this story is to be irresponsible and live beyond your means, but if you do this according to this TikTok video, all will be forgiven and everything will be okay?
View Quote

That’s just it, nothing was forgiven.

They dumped the big house, cars, etc and bought a chunk of land and the shed. And paid it all off in 9 months. That’s what I call winning
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Lol
Country living
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Country living

Exactly. You can tell where people live by their dependence upon the government to approve their lives.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep it passed, cause there is no code, therefore it passed a non existing code.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Decent
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Maybe, maybe not.
There are no code enforcements in rural areas in Texas. Yes I know, that’s not Texas. On a septic yes, but not required or enforced on structures.

I know a guy that builds a cabin very similar to that for people. Builds the hell out of them. Many as hunting or weekend cabins but quite a few as homes.
View Quote

X2

Some counties still don’t have any building inspectors. Our county didn’t get one till last year.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, not even a tiny home really.  That's just a straight up small house and if you get it set on a proper foundation I don't really know that there would be much difference once it's all finished out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. That’s not a shed, it’s a house kit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are only a few left. Tuff shed doesn’t make them anymore.

There are some 2 story and ranches and barns still out there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Back when High schools had shop classes, they build and sold small
houses. There are a few in my town. I've heard no complaints about
them. I have been inside one and it seemed decent enough for a
single guy. The owner was an older guy.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Good for them.
View Quote

Yeah I don't get the hate over the fact that this couple woke up to the consumer debt lie, manned up, and fixed their lives. We all should be so responsible.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wood framed house built in 1950 in north austin is probably framed and built much like that shed.

It’s kept me dry now for 22 years.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Smart move...I've looked into these.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's just a matter of time now before you see people renting sheds in their yards to people. Then none of will be able to have a shed, at least not without 'inspections' to make sure that there's no income.

Fuck, this country is swirling in the toilet. We're not free at all, and it happened at the local level.
View Quote

Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is already on its way to being implemented. CA leads the way in taxing your money or housing shitheads on your property.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#48]
860 square feet is not a "shed". I have yet to see a shed that big in any Home Depot. There are nice condos and smaller homes smaller than that in square feet. I am done believing any people do this without gaining some sort of fame after letting the local news source telling them their plight. People these days want the money and think their 10 minutes of fame will make them rich.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Good for them. Didn't see how much they banked selling the old house but must of made a boat load to spend $40,000 on land, the tiny home, and  to fix up the tiny home.

Notice they sold the "shed" and land for a profit and built  a new home on a new property. Sounds like they are heading back where the started .
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not if all finish work was done to code?

The only code failure i ever saw was a man who built his own lake  house. Built it as a retirement home in his spare time. . His only mistake was 24" center framing. He had to rip out the sheetrock and piecemeal fix it with 16" center framing. Once he'd corrected that, insurance company reinspected and gave the green light.

An older friend of mine needed a smaller, easier to clean home for he and his wife for retirement. He bought a larger single story "shed" as a core.  Added two add on rooms, a  porch, back deck, wired, plumbed, rocked and finished out. All 1200 sq ft tied under a new roof. Actually turned out nice. Small, but big enough for the pair. He sold his other place on the lake and they live in the new one now. Good timing, too. He was disabled in a car wreck not long after he completed it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top