BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Competition is awesome. Like 2 gun.

Shooting bird shot at plates at 10 yards is not hard. It's arguably the easiest shooting "challenge". Does anyone but the biggest newbie ever miss?

On top of that - shotgun loading Speed is a money game.

That's why 3G is inferior to 2 gun
View Quote
Lol.  You don't know what you don't know.

Normal sized static shotgun steel is 4x4.  I saw Jerry Miculek miss one once and force him to reload.

You should come show Jerry how its done.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yep. All you need is a 200 dollar caddie and you will instantly be loading 8 shells in less than 4 seconds. Has nothing to do with hundreds of hours of  dryfire practice or anything like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooting bird shot at plates at 10 yards is not hard. It's arguably the easiest shooting "challenge". Does anyone but the biggest newbie ever miss?

On top of that - shotgun loading https://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=squote&b=1&f=5&t=2207246&tl=This-picture-perfectly-summarizes-3-gun-competitions&r=78111361&page=4#Speed is a money game.

Yep. All you need is a 200 dollar caddie and you will instantly be loading 8 shells in less than 4 seconds. Has nothing to do with hundreds of hours of  dryfire practice or anything like that.
Why practice when you can get an expensive, magazine fed shotgun that reloads in 2 seconds? $$$$$$
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Normal sized static shotgun steel is 4x4.  I saw Jerry Miculek miss one once and force him to reload.

View Quote
That argument doesn't hold up.  Michael Jordan missed a layup, so it must be harder than a 3 pointer

Please rank these in order to easiest to hardest to shoot in a typical 3G stage:  Rifle, shotgun, pistol

I can't wait to see where the shotgun is.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why practice when you can get an expensive, magazine fed shotgun that reloads in 2 seconds? $$$$$$
View Quote
That puts you in open division. The shooters that are loading by hand do not compete against magazine fed shotguns.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would just shoot 3g with pistol most of the time. I didn't feel like learning how to load a shotgun fast.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That argument doesn't hold up.  Michael Jordan missed a layup, so it must be harder than a 3 pointer

Please rank these in order to easiest to hardest to shoot in a typical 3G stage:  Rifle, shotgun, pistol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You asked if anyone but the biggest newbie missed them. The answer is no, they get missed all the time even by the best shooters. You would know that if you had any experience shooting static steel with a shot gun.

But you don’t.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well... This is absurd.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#8]
LMAO
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I taught myself to quad load watching YouTube and about an hour of my time
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#10]
You'd think at some point it would just be faster to reload.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I taught myself to quad load watching YouTube and about an hour of my time
View Quote
Well shit. Guess i'm a slow learner.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#12]
ITT: a bunch of non-shooting Timmies, who say they would shoot competition BUT....*insert excuse here*

All you guys who TRAIN instead of competing, and all of you would like physical 2 gun; are you going to show up at The Tactical Games?

https://thetacticalgames.com/
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#13]
You can shoot / compete and still think shotgun loading is dumb.  Because it is.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pretty sure he's talking about my match.

I'm the MD of an annual LE/MIL only multi-gun match that brings in competitors from all over the US. It's really a 2-gun match, but we always have one stage that starts with a prop 870 initially used to breach a door then engage some shotgun plates before transitioning to a pistol and/or rifle. We provide ammo and bring four shotguns to keep the stage running. Two shotguns will keep the stage running smoothly, but we always start with four since we're often down to two by the end of the match due to parts breakages.

Here's a competitor's video of last year's match (shotgun stage starts at 5:56) that I found on youtube (paper targets on that stage require 2 body / 1 head shot to neutralize):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QC5oJb3mPc

80% of our competitors have never and will never shoot another match besides ours, so we tailor our stages for them knowing that it will end up being a hose-fest for the top shooters. We've actually changed our equipment rules every year to try to accommodate the most amount of people, but honestly most of them don't really care--they just want to shoot, have fun, and test their skills as this is the only place most of them get to shoot like this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone that has been a 3-Gun MD in the past, that's a horrible idea and would be amazingly unworkable.
Worked just fine.  It's the standard in matches here. Vanilla 870 with Choate +2 mag extension. I never heard anyone gripe about it.
What match supplies the shotgun? I shoot just about all the 3 gun matches around here a lot.
BOTW.   Starts with a door breach and no reloads.  Transitions to pistol.
What BOTW match is that? I shoot just about all the matches at BOTW.

I'm the MD of an annual LE/MIL only multi-gun match that brings in competitors from all over the US. It's really a 2-gun match, but we always have one stage that starts with a prop 870 initially used to breach a door then engage some shotgun plates before transitioning to a pistol and/or rifle. We provide ammo and bring four shotguns to keep the stage running. Two shotguns will keep the stage running smoothly, but we always start with four since we're often down to two by the end of the match due to parts breakages.

Here's a competitor's video of last year's match (shotgun stage starts at 5:56) that I found on youtube (paper targets on that stage require 2 body / 1 head shot to neutralize):

80% of our competitors have never and will never shoot another match besides ours, so we tailor our stages for them knowing that it will end up being a hose-fest for the top shooters. We've actually changed our equipment rules every year to try to accommodate the most amount of people, but honestly most of them don't really care--they just want to shoot, have fun, and test their skills as this is the only place most of them get to shoot like this.
The LEO match is quite different than most 3 gun matches. It is designed more of a fun shoot what you've got match, just be safe.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hush yourself. The ones being made fun of aren't gun guys who compete, they are competitors that happen to use guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hush you. This is a shooting forum where we make fun of people that actually get out and shoot.
Hush yourself. The ones being made fun of aren't gun guys who compete, they are competitors that happen to use guns.
That’s a pretty FUDDY statement
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’ve only gotten to do one 3 gun match, lol. Had fun but when there were guys with semi auto, rotating magazine fed tubes holding 20-40 rounds , red dots, off set scopes (for 80 yard hostage target with slugs), double stack custom 1911’s  (38 super), comps, and I’m not even sure what their arms were. And I managed to hang middle of pack with a ruger p95, 870 bead sight(let’s just say the hostage had a BAD DAY ; loading from a dump pouch) and a cav arms lower with psa  parts kit there isn’t a whole lot of skill for some of the pick leaders , some were legit head and shoulders above the rest but the guys with the impressive gear were new to it, fumbling and it was a “look what I bought” not a look what I can run game.
View Quote
Sounds like a fun day shooting.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#18]
People who hate on 3 gun usually showed up for one match, got fucking spanked, never came back because 'muh tactical'.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's because no one wants to paste/reset targets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ought to be a picture of a bunch of guys sitting on the ground for hours waiting to shoot for 30 seconds
That's because no one wants to paste/reset targets.
In our little 2 gun matches, everyone pastes/resets with the exception of the one really older gentleman and the guy reloading his mags.

Everyone else is expected to pitch in.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People who hate on 3 gun usually showed up for one match, got fucking spanked, never came back because 'muh tactical'.
View Quote
Lol.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.
This is always the case.

@fooboy are you going to do the Tactical Games, or will that be another "I would buuuuuuuttt....."
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is why you are one of my favorites here.
View Quote
Just flashed back to my dating days.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I enjoy the shotgun stages of multi-gun matches that I have shot and also enjoy going to action shotgun matches. The shooter has to make decisions that balance the layout of the COF. For example, selecting an appropriate choke and then apply that knowledge to successfully shooting the stage. There are instances in which a shotgun shooter may miss or need to take additional shots in  order to successfully "neutralize" a target (e.g. if they hit the target but do not knock it over b/c their pattern is too open). Shooters also have to make decisions about chokes that may mean a compromise when presented with stages that require transition between slug and shot (e.g. a choke that will provide optimal accuracy with a slug may be too open to produce a shot pattern that will knock down certain reactive targets). Similarly shotgun stages and chokes can also present interesting challenges with targets at varying differences. For example, a shooter who chooses a really tight choke based on certain far targets or targets that are difficult to knock over may find himself having difficulty on a close target, especially if it involves movement or certain awkward positions. Contrarily, selecting a choke that is too open based on those close targets which might be tough to hit with a full choke might make far or reaction necessary targets more difficult.

The downside to shotgun stages is that an inividual can gain a very real time advantage based on detachable magazines and speedloaders, as well as through use of tubes which are not real-world practical. In some ways the difference is more noticeable than equipment differences in other disciplines (i.e. rifle, pistol). i like it when match directors use stages to make up for that  the extend which it is possible.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
To all the people whining about gear keep in mind that there are different divisions for people with different gear.
There are divisions for those with scopes and those without. There are divisions for those with Saigas and those with pump guns.

Stop worrying about the mean fat guy in the jersey who has a VEPR. He is in open class and his score is not comparable to yours.
You are welcome to come to a match with an 870 and load it out of your pockets. You can shoot against yourself and not worry about the "gamers".

Do you really think the only difference between you and the guy that wins is a +4 extension and a quad load caddie?
If you want to be as fast as him spend 80 bucks on a caddie and set aside an hour a day to practice loading.
After a year of that you will be the fastest shotgunner at your club.

If you cant be bothered to stop worrying what other people are doing and you won't put in the time to git gud then don't come to the match. You are welcome to sit by yourself at the other bay and shoot off the bench all day.
The best shotgunner at our club uses a Benelli Nova that he bought for 300 bucks and he has been known to mop up the open shooters at times.

Magazine extensions are not a significant advantage because regardless of how many rounds you can fit in it you can only start with 10 in the gun. The longer the magazine is, the more unwieldy the gun gets.
I get by just fine with a 500 dollar Mossberg 930. The only thing I have done to it was opening the loading port with a dremel.

The easiest way to get to the front of the line for the prize table at my club is to shoot in our "production" division.

1. A rifle with irons or a non-magnified optic

2. A pump action shotgun with no optics or feeding devices (magazines or speed loaders)

3. No more than 10 rounds loaded in the handgun, no compensator, no magwell, no handgun optic.

None of the good shooters even bother with this division so its basically a free win.
View Quote
Exactly. And if you’re just going out to have fun and get better at shooting and moving, then why get bent about someone else winning?  Doesn’t make any sense at all to be bothered by that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#26]
You guys really to understand the concept of competing against people shooting your own division.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#27]
USPSA/3G GD Basics

1.) Complaining about gear used by people who are not even in your division (Lets be honest 90% of the people in this thread don't "compete")
2.) Complaining about stage layout that caters to a different division then you
3.) Some hyperbolic story about how some "gamer" did bad with $$$$

Super Protip: Yeah Shotgun is about reload meta, so how about you buy the worlds most beat the fuck up Maverick 88
and be the fastest fucking reloader on the planet and put everyone else in TO to shame.

Or just complain on forums.... whichever is easiest
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's a game...and I get that...So I have no issues with those who want to use the souped up gear.....

But I agree, if you truly want the sport to grow....the majority of them should be set up with new or intermediate shooters in mind....

The ones who would like to run what I brung crowd.

I have no problem showing up to any match and shoot for fun and not for score. And do not get intimidated by the big league gamers. But a lot of first timers are.

Don't think that by throwing in a token "Division" like trooper is enough.

PRS is going down the same gear path, and will reap the same results....And the discipline will stagnant....and eventually die off.
View Quote
PRS has gone Ludicrous with their gear.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
True story...

'Seen this exact scenario play out a few times...
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#30]
The World Recreation and Shooting Complex hosts 2 gun matches (and the Red October Match which is an AK47 centric match):

Supposedly, you don't have to wear a chest rig with plates.

You can sign up for the "gamer division".
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#31]
At the last major match I attended met a young man who decided that his first 3 gun match ever would be the state championship.

He brought an 870 and he loaded it one at a time from a USGI Alice magazine pouch.

Never herd him complain once about about the "gear fags" with VEPRs and quad load caddies.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You can shoot / compete and still think shotgun loading is dumb.  Because it is.
View Quote
I think it is.

I still do it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
ITT: a bunch of non-shooting Timmies, who say they would shoot competition BUT....*insert excuse here*

All you guys who TRAIN instead of competing, and all of you would like physical 2 gun; are you going to show up at The Tactical Games?

View Quote
Does cola warrior count as a tactical game?
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  I would never choose a shotgun in any situation other than shooting birds or small game.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I’d like to try a 3-gun match. I’d run it with an 870, but I’d probably put a +3 tube extension on it. Shooting stuff is fun, how you place is secondary. I shot highpower for a few years and never won a match, but it was fun.
View Quote
One of my friends used to shoot that at a 3 gun. He would smoke the gamers because he was good enough with it and how well he shot pistol.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ought to be a picture of a bunch of guys sitting on the ground for hours waiting to shoot for 30 seconds
View Quote
This is the primary reason I stopped shooting "Practical Rifle" matches.    All day to shoot maybe 7 minutes.  Meh.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

One of my friends used to shoot that at a 3 gun. He would smoke the gamers because he was good enough with it and how well he shot pistol.
View Quote
I’m sure he told you that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#38]
3 gun is a bullet fest. Wether it has 2 or 3 or 4 guns, it attracts MDs and shooters who just want to blaze through stages.
2 gun is usually slowly and longer stages. This is why 2 gun has a tendency to appeal the the more "tactically minded shooters ".
2 gun with physicality added is a whole different market appeal.

3 gun, being a gear centric game attracts a heavier sponsor list than 2 gun which lends itself more to "run what ya got".
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sounds like what happened with the SASS cowboy matches. The gamers moved in, and all of a sudden those of us who went to the matches to shoot and have a good time were outnumbered by the crowd who cared about nothing but winning.

Those were the guys who shot single-actions chambered in .32 S&W, and loaded their .357 rifle rounds so that they just barely met the 650 FPS minimum, all in the attempt to reduce recoil. Some of those guys had loads so weak you could damned near throw the bullet faster than it came out of the gun. We called them mouse-fart loads.
View Quote
So the game sets a minimum velocity, and then you complain when people load ammo to those rules?

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Gun Golf is Sporting Clays... Which is an absolute blast.
View Quote
Yup.  I haven't shot sporting clays, but skeet is a hell of a good time, and I can only imagine that Sporting Clays is just as fun.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So the game sets a minimum velocity, and then you complain when people load ammo to those rules?

https://media.tenor.com/images/47f0650d57407c2361c2b40febc7212a/tenor.gif
View Quote
Sounds like people in IDPA bitching... "ZOMG!! They're barely following the rules!!"
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
THis looks awesome. Signing up
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
RIIIIIIGHT.

My very first match. Shot it with my duty gear. A stock M&P and AR with Eotech. Went at it cold, didn't even walk the stages beforehand.   Completely blew one stage since I failed to engage a line of plates. I didn't even notice  tucked in below another.

Placed 81 out of 134.  The old guy that shot a standard A1 with iron sights, 20 rd mags and a RA 1911 in a military FLAP HOLSTER hanging from a GI pistol belt  placed 66 and he could not even run.

Yeah, go on and tell me how hard it is.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Anybody skinny involved?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Please post a pic of the shotgun you use. Just curious.
View Quote
Here's my Tac-Ops shotgun.  With an optic I still run it in 2X4, but I'm ordering a Dissident for Open.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

RIIIIIIGHT.

My very first match. Shot it with my duty gear. A stock M&P and AR with Eotech. Went at it cold, didn't even walk the stages beforehand.   Completely blew one stage since I failed to engage a line of plates. I didn't even notice  tucked in below another.

Placed 81 out of 134.  The old guy that shot a standard A1 with iron sights, 20 rd mags and a RA 1911 in a military FLAP HOLSTER hanging from a GI pistol belt  placed 66 and he could not even run.

Yeah, go on and tell me how hard it is.
View Quote
Appearently it's hard enough that you got smoked by an old guy running irons that had mobility issues.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone that has been a 3-Gun MD in the past, that's a horrible idea and would be amazingly unworkable.
Worked just fine.  It's the standard in matches here. Vanilla 870 with Choate +2 mag extension. I never heard anyone gripe about it.
What match supplies the shotgun? I shoot just about all the 3 gun matches around here a lot.
BOTW.   Starts with a door breach and no reloads.  Transitions to pistol.
What BOTW match is that? I shoot just about all the matches at BOTW.

Yes I am,  VERY well run matches BTW.  MUCH better than the ones I started out at. People actually helped with setup and teardown too.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top