BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 33
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Possibly in SE Michigan
two people in Washtenaw County and one in Macomb County sent for testing
https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/state-sends-three-possible-cases-of-coronavirus-in-se-michigan-to-cdc-for-testing
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
OMG ITS LIKE SARS 2.0!
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is it that there are no reports of children being effected by 2019-ncov? Seems like if it effects people with compromised immune systems it should effect young children as well but so far it doesn’t look like it is.
View Quote
I believe there were reports of children with pneumonia like symptoms but no fever early on so they initially ruled out the Kung Flu. However, they now think that it's entirely possible to come down with the Kung Flu and have no fever and that's what was going on with these children.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Totally serious when I say that a Chinese guy with a cough, looking like he can barely move, just sat down next to me on the plane to LAX.

That's it. I'm dead. It has been a good life.

Fuuuuu....
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am offended by your none offense position

Me, I think there is something to be concerned about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the thread head in the sand arfcommers show their stupidity
Are you saying it is stupid to be concerned or stupid to disregard it?

I need to know if I am offended or not.
I am offended by your none offense position

Me, I think there is something to be concerned about.
We need to be sensitive to the emotions of folks who trivialize this dangerous situation.

They may fool themselves [Americans' Favorite Pastime] to comfort themselves, so they can get thru their day.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OMG ITS LIKE SARS 2.0!
View Quote
Oh I know. China shut down everything then too. Lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Interdasting! I wonder what the number of people who have recovered is?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
China puts millions under lockdown, people are turned away at the hospitals due to overcrowding, starts building a brand new hospital and intends to complete it in 16 days -- to contain Wuhan coronavirus | DW News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltcV3Q-1ztw
View Quote
That’s all well and good, but what about the poor people who end up buying the organs of ^ dead people when China starts selling those when they croak.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Coronavirus is nothing to mickey mouse around with......
View Quote
Mr Flibble | Red Dwarf | BBC Comedy Greats
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So it’s got what, 2% fatality rate? Big fucking whoop.
View Quote
Somebody said in another thread that you take the number of confirmed with the virus that have died and the number confirmed with the virus that have now recovered to get the fatality rate.

Those that currently are confirmed to have the virus that are neither recovered nor dead are not counted as they could live or die.

As more recover or die over time you will get a more accurate figure.

So if you have 100 confirmed cases and 40 are now dead and 60 are now recovered, that’s a 40% fatality rate.

If you have 100 confirmed cases, 20 recovered, 20 died, 60 are neither recovered nor dead that’s a 50% fatality rate not a 20% fatality rate.

If you have 1000 confirmed cases and 40 died but the other 960 have neither recovered nor died, that doesn’t make the death rate 4%. Those other 960 could still either die or recover. You don’t know and can’t count them until it happens. So in this instance you could not calculate a fatality rate.

That’s the way I understood the general explanation.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why is it that there are no reports of children being effected by 2019-ncov? Seems like if it effects people with compromised immune systems it should effect young children as well but so far it doesn’t look like it is.
View Quote
Or the Chinese kids were all like ??!?!when offered the bat stew...
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The way it prevents the spread is by allowing precious resources to be focused where they are needed:
1. In hospital there are limited isolation rooms, so you don't want to isolate suspected cases forever, you want to confirm and isolate or rule out and make space.
2. Public health personnel are limited so if you want to track contacts the infected had so you can monitor/quarantine to limit spread, you want to make sure you are not chasing false cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure the rapid test will help prevent the spread, but it damn sure will help track it faster and provide better intel.

Right now every person who has been to Wuhan, a city bigger than Los Angeles, in the past month and has any symptoms is automatically being treated as a suspected potential case. Most of these people are likely not infected with nCoV, but until we can confirm that even the suspicion of another new case increases tension and panic.
The way it prevents the spread is by allowing precious resources to be focused where they are needed:
1. In hospital there are limited isolation rooms, so you don't want to isolate suspected cases forever, you want to confirm and isolate or rule out and make space.
2. Public health personnel are limited so if you want to track contacts the infected had so you can monitor/quarantine to limit spread, you want to make sure you are not chasing false cases.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Somebody said in another thread that you take the number of confirmed with the virus that have died and the number confirmed with the virus that have now recovered to get the fatality rate.

Those that currently are confirmed to have the virus that are neither recovered nor dead are not counted as they could live or die.

So if you have 100 confirmed cases and 40 are now dead and 60 are now recovered, that’s a 40% fatality rate.

If you have 100 confirmed cases, 20 recovered, 20 died, 60 are neither recovered nor dead that’s a 50% fatality rate not a 20% fatality rate.
If you have 1000 confirmed cases and 40 died but the other 960 have neither recovered nor died, that doesn’t make the death rate 4%. Those other 960 could still either die or recover. You don’t know and can’t count them until it happens. So in this instance you could not calculate a fatality rate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it’s got what, 2% fatality rate? Big fucking whoop.

What about all the people that have/had it but don't get sick enough to go to the hospital? With all the cases found around the world, 100s of thousands or more  of people must have it, it's been around since December. The only ones that are being counted are the ones sick enough to go to the hospital, the ones that panic and go to the hospital and the ones that are tested because they've been to China and have some sniffles.

If you just counted the death rate from any other flu of the ones sick enough to go to a hospital, the death rate would much, much higher.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Or SHOT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Second confirmed case in Chicago.
first case came into ohare on 13 jan.
We should start to see secondary cases with no travel to china very soon.

maybe we are already.
I really hope no one that attended the Rattlesnake Rally was infected.
Or SHOT.
Vegas is the perfect Petri dish
People there are running down their immune system partying all day and night, handling all that dirty ass money, chips, touching cards, dice, machines etc.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
41 out of 1125  is higher then 2% deaths.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
It looks like the number is going to continue to expand with no immediate end in sight.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OMG ITS LIKE SARS 2.0!
View Quote
funny if the remedy is chicken soup, Sprite and DayQuil.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#24]
The problem is that the Chinese numbers are demonstrably bullshit, and we can’t properly estimate fatality and infection rates until the virus progresses in a modern Western nation with a free press and a modern health infrastructure. Given the  up to two week incubation period, we may not have representative numbers for that calculation for another three weeks or more. But decisions based on those putative fatality rates need to be made now.

The Chinese government is going to manage to kill even more than their own citizens this time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Based on that, the fatality rate is 42%

The data I used for that is 18ish hours old.

Just FYI

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Just FYI

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284035/chart_1-24_PNG-1247866.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just FYI

Where are you getting that data?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why is it that there are no reports of children being effected by 2019-ncov? Seems like if it effects people with compromised immune systems it should effect young children as well but so far it doesn't look like it is.
View Quote
There was an article in one of these threads that said parents left behind sick kids in the airport or something when they went...wherever it is they fo'd.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
John Hopkins is putting out an excel document every 12 hours.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the 58% that have recovered only survived because they were in ICU care... Damn.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just FYI

View Quote
Of the original 41 patients 6 died. 15% mortality rate. Not sure how representative that is.

It’s also reported the first patient was not at the wet market.

https://www.thelancet.com/pb-assets/Lancet/pdfs/S0140673620301835.pdf
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If the 58% that have recovered only survived because they were in ICU care... Damn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will overwhelm our healthcare system pretty quickly.
ICU beds are typically scarce on a good day, heap this shit on top of it and it could get bad fast.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Read the link I just posted above. Of the first 41 patients only 13 went to ICU. 6 of those died.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should have confessed you made it up for GD's entertainment

Seriously, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Appears to be well contained

Link

This is a John Hopkins generated map.

Graph on the left looks like the space shuttle taking off.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It looks like the number is going to continue to expand with no immediate end in sight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s likely already quite a bit higher than that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
John Hopkins Map look at left side graph
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Link

View Quote
Good link...just bookmarked that.
Ought to be fun to watch.....until the internet goes dark...and the power goes out....and the food runs out

Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ought to be fun to watch.....until the internet goes dark...and the power goes out....and the food runs out

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Was able to find it with a search after @MNSwede  commented that John Hopkins was putting out info.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
@macro

What do you make of this?

Your tone seems to have changed in the last 24 hours.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#41]
We got one at Mtsu in middle tn apparently
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We got one at Mtsu in middle tn apparently
View Quote
Testing for the virus I heard, is it now confirmed?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@macro

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@macro

@Curry
In full disclosure, I am neither a clinician nor a scientist, so a lot of what is discussed in that article is far beyond my capability to assess. At a glance, it appears well structured, and in a nut shells seems to suggest that this virus presents like SARS, with a likelihood of the patient requiring acute ICU-level interventions. Interestingly, they cite data from patients admitted dating back to mid-December...so clearly this was on their radar for over a month nowperhaps more.

Regarding my tone, I honestly don't know what to think. I spoke with some colleagues in the public health sector in the last 24 hours and we all agreed that based on the modeling we have all understood for the past few decadesif an outbreak was going to be 'the one', this one really looks like a textbook examplealmost too perfect.like a movie script.

For now I am monitoring what information is out theretaking it all with a massive dose of saltand waiting for credible data. Like any other dynamic incident, early information is rarely accurate, and not worth losing sleep over. That said, this isn't nothingthe Chinese are making a point to at least engineer the appearance that they are initiating a massive responseso they clearly think the world is watching them.

I suspect we will know more in the coming daysand I also suspect that if this truly is a real threat, it won't take much longer than that to have a good idea of the trajectory. If the incubation period is really as long as 2-weeks, this bug is everywhere alreadyquarantine efforts are a waste of energy and resources.

To be continued
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just FYI

View Quote
Are you generating these graphs?

If so, is there any chance you’d be willing to reverse the X axis? Reading time backwards (right to left) is messing me up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Link

View Quote
The 'Total Deaths' to 'Total Recovered' ratio looks ... not encouraging.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#46]
the question with the incubation period is, how much of that period is a person contagious...
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

ICU beds are typically scarce on a good day, heap this shit on top of it and it could get bad fast.
View Quote
We only have around 62,000 mechanical ventilators nation wide. So, factor in the ones in use and down for maintenance. If this thing blows up, it will get sporty rather quickly.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We only have around 62,000 mechanical ventilators nation wide. So, factor in the ones in use and down for maintenance. If this thing blows up, it will get sporty rather quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had no idea there were that few...
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
It may be possible to temporarily surge that number by using anesthesia machines from operating rooms. I don’t know how many of those we have nationwide, and most of them are less sophisticated. They could support patients with lower vent requirements, freeing more ICU vents for ARDS patients.
Page / 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top