User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 33
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@Curry
In full disclosure, I am neither a clinician nor a scientist, so a lot of what is discussed in that article is far beyond my capability to assess. At a glance, it appears well structured, and in a nut shells seems to suggest that this virus presents like SARS, with a likelihood of the patient requiring acute ICU-level interventions. Interestingly, they cite data from patients admitted dating back to mid-December...so clearly this was on their radar for over a month nowperhaps more.

Regarding my tone, I honestly don't know what to think. I spoke with some colleagues in the public health sector in the last 24 hours and we all agreed that based on the modeling we have all understood for the past few decadesif an outbreak was going to be 'the one', this one really looks like a textbook examplealmost too perfect.like a movie script.

For now I am monitoring what information is out theretaking it all with a massive dose of saltand waiting for credible data. Like any other dynamic incident, early information is rarely accurate, and not worth losing sleep over. That said, this isn't nothingthe Chinese are making a point to at least engineer the appearance that they are initiating a massive responseso they clearly think the world is watching them.

I suspect we will know more in the coming daysand I also suspect that if this truly is a real threat, it won't take much longer than that to have a good idea of the trajectory. If the incubation period is really as long as 2-weeks, this bug is everywhere alreadyquarantine efforts are a waste of energy and resources.

To be continued
View Quote
@macro

One last call out. The incubation period seems to be 5.6 days. Based on 37 travel cases.

https://github.com/jabacker/nCoV-2019/blob/master/Incubationperiod_2019nCoV.pdf

Edit: which is wayyy better than two weeks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Will probably be thousands by next week.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
the question with the incubation period is, how much of that period is a person contagious...
View Quote
Potentially, none of it.
A person isn't likely to be visibly symptomatic until the virus has incubated...if that takes a week or two, they wont know they are carrying it.
That said, if this is like other infectious disease, it isn't likely to be spread by asymptomatic carriers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sweeeeeet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had no idea there were that few...
View Quote
Read here and then the realization that if nationwide, how it will be.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@Curry
In full disclosure, I am neither a clinician nor a scientist, so a lot of what is discussed in that article is far beyond my capability to assess. At a glance, it appears well structured, and in a nut shells seems to suggest that this virus presents like SARS, with a likelihood of the patient requiring acute ICU-level interventions. Interestingly, they cite data from patients admitted dating back to mid-December...so clearly this was on their radar for over a month nowperhaps more.

Regarding my tone, I honestly don't know what to think. I spoke with some colleagues in the public health sector in the last 24 hours and we all agreed that based on the modeling we have all understood for the past few decadesif an outbreak was going to be 'the one', this one really looks like a textbook examplealmost too perfect.like a movie script.

For now I am monitoring what information is out theretaking it all with a massive dose of saltand waiting for credible data. Like any other dynamic incident, early information is rarely accurate, and not worth losing sleep over. That said, this isn't nothingthe Chinese are making a point to at least engineer the appearance that they are initiating a massive responseso they clearly think the world is watching them.

I suspect we will know more in the coming daysand I also suspect that if this truly is a real threat, it won't take much longer than that to have a good idea of the trajectory. If the incubation period is really as long as 2-weeks, this bug is everywhere alreadyquarantine efforts are a waste of energy and resources.

To be continued
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good link...just bookmarked that.
Ought to be fun to watch.....until the internet goes dark...and the power goes out....and the food runs out

@macro

What do you make of this?

Your tone seems to have changed in the last 24 hours.
@Curry

To be continued
thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone else remember playing Plague Inc?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone else remember playing Plague Inc?
View Quote
I still have it one my phone and play it every once in a while to kill time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Will be interesting to see where we are in a week or two.

Leading US health experts predicted a coronavirus could kill tens of millions of people in a chilling warning three months before the deadly outbreak in China.

Scientists at the prestigious Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security modeled a hypothetical pandemic on a computer as part of research last October.

The simulation predicted 65million people from every corner of the world would be wiped out in just 18 months.

So far the highly contagious disease currently ravaging China has killed 26 people and infected more than 900 - but experts predict the true number to be thousands.

Dr Eric Toner, a senior researcher at Johns Hopkins, said he wasn't shocked when news of the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan in late December.

Link
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]
damn

that doesnt sound good
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Leading US health experts predicted a coronavirus could kill tens of millions of people in a chilling warning three months before the deadly outbreak in China.

Scientists at the prestigious Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security modeled a hypothetical pandemic on a computer as part of research last October.

The simulation predicted 65million people from every corner of the world would be wiped out in just 18 months.

So far the highly contagious disease currently ravaging China has killed 26 people and infected more than 900 - but experts predict the true number to be thousands.

Dr Eric Toner, a senior researcher at Johns Hopkins, said he wasn't shocked when news of the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan in late December.

Link
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link
I was just reading this paper from a twitter link as well:

Google Drive Link

EtA: Prediction is over 250k in Wuhan by Feb 4th.

Key findings
? We estimate the basic reproductive number of the infection (RR0) to be significantly
greater than one. We estimate it to be between 3.6 and 4.0, indicating that 72-75% of
transmissions must be prevented by control measures for infections to stop
increasing.
? We estimate that only 5.1% (95%CI, 4.8–5.5) of infections in Wuhan are identified,
indicating a large number of infections in the community, and also reflecting the
difficulty in detecting cases of this new disease. Surveillance for this novel pathogen
has been launched very quickly by public health authorities in China, allowing for
rapid assessment of the speed of increase of cases in Wuhan and other areas.
? If no change in control or transmission happens, then we expect further outbreaks to
occur in other Chinese cities, and that infections will continue to be exported to
international destinations at an increasing rate. In 14 days’ time (4 February 2020),
our model predicts the number of infected people in Wuhan to be greater than 250
thousand (prediction interval, 164,602 to 351,396). We predict the cities with the
largest outbreaks elsewhere in China to be Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou,
Chongqing and Chengdu. We also predict that by 4 Feb 2020, the countries or
special administrative regions at greatest risk of importing infections through air travel
are Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and South Korea.
? Our model suggests that travel restrictions from and to Wuhan city are unlikely to be
effective in halting transmission across China; with a 99% effective reduction in
travel, the size of the epidemic outside of Wuhan may only be reduced by 24.9% on
4 February.
? There are important caveats to the reliability of our model predictions, based on the
assumptions underpinning the model as well as the data used to fit the model. These
should be considered when interpreting our findings.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, with an unimpeded virus (which this may be), an R0 of 3.8 would be pretty much exactly on target for 250k in 10 days, and 875,000 in thirty days.

If it's impeded by natural resistance, vaccine, or some other factor, it would be much lower. Right now, with this being a novel virus, none of those impediments appear to exist. So while 3.8 isn't terrible for something that the body has experience with, it's actually pretty bad in this case.

If 3.8 or higher and unimpeded, the number of cases should be doubling over the next 3 days. If the number is the higher end of current estimates (5+), it should be more than doubled (2500+) by tomorrow evening at about this time, and WAY over the million mark in 30 days.

[ETA] If the R0 is 5+, backdating to when this was initially getting going and extrapolating from there would put the actual number of current infected at about 26,000.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are you generating these graphs?

If so, is there any chance you’d be willing to reverse the X axis? Reading time backwards (right to left) is messing me up.
View Quote
Yes, I made it.

I figured the latest data to the left would make more sense, but I will swap it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#17]
There has to be a lot of similar instances of this;

Hunt is on in UK for 2,000 people who flew in from Wuhan in last two weeks

DM
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, with an unimpeded virus (which this may be), an R0 of 3.8 would be pretty much exactly on target for 250k in 10 days, and 875,000 in thirty days.

If it's impeded by natural resistance, vaccine, or some other factor, it would be much lower. Right now, with this being a novel virus, none of those impediments appear to exist. So while 2.2 isn't terrible for something that the body has experience with, it's actually pretty bad in this case.

If 3.8 or higher and unimpeded, the number of cases should be doubling over the next 3 days. If the number is the higher end of current estimates (5+), it should be more than doubled (2500+) by tomorrow evening at about this time, and WAY over the million mark in 30 days.

[ETA] If the R0 is 5+, backdating to when this was initially getting going and extrapolating from there would put the actual number of current infected at about 26,000.
View Quote
How about 3.6?

Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How about 3.6?

View Quote
Not great, not terrible.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not great, not terrible.
View Quote
There are other reports saying R0 is 3.4 - 3.6

which would be bad.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There are other reports saying R0 is 3.4 - 3.6

which would be bad.
View Quote
It's not 3 R0...it's 15,000.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
My R0 meter only goes to 3.6!
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you're fucked.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Somebody said in another thread that you take the number of confirmed with the virus that have died and the number confirmed with the virus that have now recovered to get the fatality rate.

Those that currently are confirmed to have the virus that are neither recovered nor dead are not counted as they could live or die.

As more recover or die over time you will get a more accurate figure.

So if you have 100 confirmed cases and 40 are now dead and 60 are now recovered, that’s a 40% fatality rate.

If you have 100 confirmed cases, 20 recovered, 20 died, 60 are neither recovered nor dead that’s a 50% fatality rate not a 20% fatality rate.

If you have 1000 confirmed cases and 40 died but the other 960 have neither recovered nor died, that doesn’t make the death rate 4%. Those other 960 could still either die or recover. You don’t know and can’t count them until it happens. So in this instance you could not calculate a fatality rate.

That’s the way I understood the general explanation.
View Quote
Problem is, those numbers released by the China .gov are meaningless.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Meaningless info.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I wonder if there are cases in North Korea? I'm not sure the gov there would report it if there were.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

John Hopkins is putting out an excel document every 12 hours.
View Quote
Where could they possibly get accurate data?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wonder if there are cases in North Korea? I'm not sure the gov there would report it if there were.
View Quote
They closed their borders pretty early on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Where could they possibly get accurate data?
View Quote
These are their sources:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

damn

that doesnt sound good
View Quote
If you include the asymptomatic, they may have reached that number already.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
What you did there.....
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#32]
1 confirmed in Raleigh Nc.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#33]
They weren't accurate in the past and doubt they are now.

Their job is to keep a lid on folks' panicking and to maintain economic and social stability as long as practicable.

A worthy goal!
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Their job is to keep a lid on folks' panicking and to maintain economic and social stability as long as practicable.
View Quote
I dont disagree. I commented as such in the rollup thread.

It feels like a waste of time for me to update the OP twice a day with the latest info when we all know it's horseshit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought it was suspected, got a link for confirmation?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why is it that there are no reports of children being effected by 2019-ncov? Seems like if it effects people with compromised immune systems it should effect young children as well but so far it doesn’t look like it is.
View Quote
If IIRC, H5N1 was more likely to strike STRONG immune systems.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It feels like a waste of time for me to update the OP twice a day with the latest info when we all know it's horseshit.
View Quote
Yep.

And all the 'prestigious' sources with all the complex analysis, based on .gov supplied [China] 'horseshit'.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone following this for the past week has been frustrated by the 'throttling' of info out of China.

It would be nice if we could get a consolidated thread with an updated OP for this mess going forward.
I'm getting tired of multiple threads.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Everyone following this for the past week has been frustrated by the 'throttling' of info out of China.

It would be nice if we could get a consolidated thread with an updated OP for this mess going forward.
View Quote
I was contacted by mods to keep my thread "facts"

And the wild speculation and conversation would happen in this thread or the other one.

As of right now, it's just the 3 threads.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
It seems so far, the main way to keep abreast of the reality [if even that] is to follow multiple sources that are independent of .gov self serving bias.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And the wild speculation and conversation would happen in this thread or the other one.

View Quote
It seemed yesterday, at least, the other two threads were heavy on a compilation of jokes by Nervous Nellies, and short on substance.

This thread has had the most 'meat'.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What you did there.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you did there.....
They are hiring dentists now....
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They are hiring dentists now....
View Quote
They will tough it out in their underground bunkers, and bide their time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, I'll post accordingly.
I, for one, appreciate your roll-up in the OP for your thread. So please keep it going.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Info I'm seeing online (WRAL) is saying it's a "possible" case.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

OK, I'll post accordingly.
I, for one, appreciate your roll-up in the OP for your thread. So please keep it going.
View Quote
Absolutely. I'll be doing an update after LivePD
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
@macro

One last call out. The incubation period seems to be 5.6 days. Based on 37 travel cases.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Curry

To be continued
@macro

Hopefully the actual facts are less ominous than the rapid-fire info propagating social media right now. I guess we will see sooner than later.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#48]
https://twitter.com/IsChinar

Scroll down and there is a video of a Chinese student spitting on the elevator buttons while knowing he's infected.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Hopefully the actual facts are less ominous than the rapid-fire info propagating social media right now. I guess we will see sooner than later.
View Quote
That's some fine wishful thinking...

Hope you are right!
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://twitter.com/IsChinar

Scroll down and there is a video of a Chinese student spitting on the elevator buttons while knowing he's infected.
View Quote
here
Page / 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top