Space bar
Apostrophe
Colon
Period

Why? Because your post is a clinker.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, do you want to buy some actual Moon rocks?

I have some left over from the Apollo missions.

I'll give you a good deal on them, AND a "Certificate of Authenticity" at no extra charge.

Kidding, just kidding.

Nice, historic lump of coal you have there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/800/1*qu46l1rEJYjYO2ffAEKkdw.jpeg

The Titanic Was on Fire for Days Before It Sank

However, despite the century that has passed, the Titanic story is still evolving. Everyone knows the base story about the ship hitting an iceberg, but one major piece missing for years has recently come to light. The Titanic was on fire for days as it was sailing, possibly longer than that. There was a coal fire below deck for days that the crew was unable to put out. The ship sailed along anyway with a fire burning in the hull.

More
View Quote
Interesting read. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Not to pick on the OP. I do have some climate change coal for sale if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is kinda disturbing IMO. The Titanic is a grave site and should be left alone, there's over 1500 dead people there.
View Quote
I doubt they mind.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
THATS CALLED NUT COAL, BIG SHIPS BURN BIG COAL. THATS THE SIZE YOU BURN IN A KITCHEN COAL STOVE. I BURN BIGGER COAL THEN THAT IN OUR PARLOR STOVE. OF COURSE THEY MIGHT HAVE HAD BIG LUMPS AND CRACKED THEM INTO 4 PIECES FOR PROFIT . THE BIG SHIPS AND FOUNDRYS BURN EGG COAL. COAL IS SOLD BY THE SIZE RICE,BUCK,PEA,NUT,STOVE, AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST EGG. I LIVE RIGHT IN THE HEART OF THE COAL REGION AND ALWAYS HAVE. IF I WASNT SO TIRED I WOULD GO TAKE PICTURES OF BUCK (I BURN THAT IN A STOKER) AND SOME STOVE COAL (I BURN IN THE PARLOR STOVE)
View Quote
Have you considered they may have broken them up so they could sell more individual units since people won't be burning them in a ship's boiler?

Cool piece of history OP.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The coal fire was well known even back then. Coal fires were common, Titanic's fire was known before leaving on its maiden voyage, and it was discussed during the formal investigation and even then was found to have had no affect on the performance of the ship. Interestingly, it may have actually bought the ship time in its final hours. The coal where the fire was smoldering was moved to the port side of the ship to put it out (which it was put out the day of the sinking). This gave the Titanic a 3 degree list to port, which was noticed by many passengers. It was that 3 degree list that counteracted the starboard list that started to develop during the sinking because of the water rushing into the starboard side of the ship. The Britannic and Lusitania both capsized when they sunk; Titanic did not thanks to the transfer of the coal to the port side.

BTW, the "burn mark" in that photo has been shown to be merely a smudge on the camera lens. No other photos from different cameras show that mark on the ship.  It was also in the wrong position to the location of the coal fire.

In short, the coal fire was a big nothing-burger.

Here's a very good podcast on this topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfSa8kqqfYg
View Quote
Except they didn't. Lusitania went down with a heavy list to starboard. Britannic rolled on it's starboard side but didn't go all the way over. Both went down by the bow and struck the seabed while the stern was still above water.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I doubt they mind.
View Quote
Yea no one is down there, bones are long gone.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have some seawater that came from the Titanic. PM me for pricing.
View Quote
I have some from the great flood that Noah escaped.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
THATS CALLED NUT COAL, BIG SHIPS BURN BIG COAL. THATS THE SIZE YOU BURN IN A KITCHEN COAL STOVE. I BURN BIGGER COAL THEN THAT IN OUR PARLOR STOVE. OF COURSE THEY MIGHT HAVE HAD BIG LUMPS AND CRACKED THEM INTO 4 PIECES FOR PROFIT . THE BIG SHIPS AND FOUNDRYS BURN EGG COAL. COAL IS SOLD BY THE SIZE RICE,BUCK,PEA,NUT,STOVE, AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST EGG. I LIVE RIGHT IN THE HEART OF THE COAL REGION AND ALWAYS HAVE. IF I WASNT SO TIRED I WOULD GO TAKE PICTURES OF BUCK (I BURN THAT IN A STOKER) AND SOME STOVE COAL (I BURN IN THE PARLOR STOVE)
View Quote
Welcome back Wes at MSTN
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think he's pushing 90 years old and his nephew introduced him to this forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WHAT???
He's just trying to educate us on coal. I don't know why he's yelling though.
I think he's pushing 90 years old and his nephew introduced him to this forum.
I think that gets a pass.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not to pick on the OP. I do have some climate change coal for sale if anyone is interested.
View Quote

"Don't make me burn my coal. I'll do it. I'll kill the planet."
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think that gets a pass.
View Quote
No wonder he knows a lot about nut coal then.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Chick thread.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is kinda disturbing IMO. The Titanic is a grave site and should be left alone, there's over 1500 dead people there.
View Quote
THAT COAL IS IMBUED WITH THE SOULS OF THE PEOPLE THAT WENT DOWN TO DAVY JONES LOCKER.

ASSUMING ITS REAL, THAT IS.  WHICH IT PROBABLY ISN’T.
BEING THE WRONG KIND TO HAVE BEEN USED ON TURN OF THE CENTURY STEAM SHIPS.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
The coal was compressed into smaller pieces by the pressure at the sea floor.  If the wreck were deeper, it may have formed diamonds.

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of years it took for the earth to make that lump of coal for you and all the other yahoos to take and destroy the ecology of the wreck
View Quote
Dude I was going to post the reply from the Iwo thread verbatim
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm kind of amazed at the casual attitude here on Arfcom toward removing items from the Titanic.

Would you be so cavalier if someone wanted to go souvenir hunting on the USS Arizona?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't believe everything you're told sheeple.

The hull of the Titanic was not riveted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/475058/IMG_5309_JPG-898228.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There are different ways of riveting hulls than having huge rivets protruding especially near or below the waterline.

Quoted:
Except they didn't. Lusitania went down with a heavy list to starboard. Britannic rolled on it's starboard side but didn't go all the way over. Both went down by the bow and struck the seabed while the stern was still above water.
Lusitania had a much different design than a typical liner with the coal bunkers running the length of the ship like a battleship to protect the engine/boiler rooms from shell hits.  When a torpedo hit the side of the ship the long coal bunker that ran along the side of the ship flooded...
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm kind of amazed at the casual attitude here on Arfcom toward removing items from the Titanic.

Would you be so cavalier if someone wanted to go souvenir hunting on the USS Arizona?
View Quote
Ballard could have had the wreck closed forever, but he didn't. War graves, I do not know how you compare a transportation wreck to USS Arizona. Salvage of ship wrecks kinda have been going on forever.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:Ballard could have had the wreck closed forever, but he didn't. War graves, I do not know how you compare a transportation wreck to USS Arizona. Salvage of ship wrecks kinda have been going on forever.
View Quote
Arizona was rather extensively salvaged too, several remains were even recovered.  If her back didn't wsan't broke she would not be there today... like every other ship sunk at Pearl besides Utah.  And Utah is only there because a target ship worth of scrap iron that didn't want to right wasn't worth the effort to remove or scrap in place at such a remote location.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I might have found my new copypasta.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread is gold.  Gold I tell ya.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
It wasn’t welded...pine tar maybe lol
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ballard could have had the wreck closed forever, but he didn't. War graves, I do not know how you compare a transportation wreck to USS Arizona. Salvage of ship wrecks kinda have been going on forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were at war with Japan BEFORE they attacked Pearl Harbor? WOW! I did NOT know that!!

Learn something new every day here on Arfcom.

Dead is dead, and a loss to the family of a sailor on the Titanic is just as real as the loss to the family of a sailor on the USS Arizona.

FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of looting graves in the name of Archaeology either. It's one of the reasons I lean towards cremation.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#28]

A photograph shows one of the Titanic's coal bunkers filled with workers. This image was taken prior to the Titanic's maiden voyage.

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This thread is gold.  Gold I tell ya.
View Quote
Does that mean that Spain will be claiming it soon?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Wonder how they handled the smoke from the fires?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#32]
IIRC sea pressure is 44 psi per 100ft. Any bodies on the ship were pulverized and liquefied long before reaching the seabed.

As far as salvage goes we recycle cars that people have died in. We don't leave them on the streets.

If souls are imbedded into the ship and the artifacts, what about all the people that have died at sea and never recovered. Are we swimming in souls when we go to the beach?

We display dead bodies (mummies) in museums, unearth ancient cities and recover lost gold from Spanish galleons. We have raised and salvaged sunken submarines just for info on the enemy.

We even salvage body parts for transplants. We keep urns with loved ones ashes as memorials.

I'm not seeing an issue with some black rocks that may or may not have been from the wreck of the Titanic.

I keep mine as a memorial in my office and as a reminder of man's arrogance. It reminds me that I never know everything and nothing is perfect.

That in my opinion is the Titanic's greatest legacy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of looting graves in the name of Archaeology either. It's one of the reasons I lean towards cremation.
View Quote
I am fine with ending up in a drawer somewhere in a thousand years.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Who's law prevents me from privately acquiring (disregard the monetary/logistic problem) "artifacts" from the titanic?

Is the queen going to send the royal marines to storm my house?

Will uncle sam send his cronies to shoot my dog?

Spain going to sue me into poverty?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I am fine with ending up in a drawer somewhere in a thousand years.
View Quote
That belongs in a museum!

So do you!
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#36]
'The first class tickets ranged enormously in price, from $150 (about $1700 today) for a simple berth, up to $4350 ($50,000) for one of the two Parlour suites. Second class tickets were $60 (around $700) and third class passengers paid between $15 and $40 ($170 - £460).'
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#37]
By the way, I don't really have a problem with the whole "artifacts from the Titanic" thing.

I just like to get people to think about what their opinions actually are and why.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
By the way, I don't really have a problem with the whole "artifacts from the Titanic" thing.

I just like to get people to think about what their opinions actually are and why.
View Quote
I do not like people landing submersibles on the decks and collapsing them, and parts wandering off willy nilly and/or not stored correctly to be lost permanently.

Archeology IMO different than grave robbing, IMO there has been a lot of grave robbing going on at the Titanic wreck.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have a set of Titanic salt and pepper shakers.

Attachment Attached File

I thought they were the tackiest souvenir I had ever seen.
View Quote
I approve.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Phun Phact:  The last stack on the Titanic (the one the arrow is pointing at) is a non-functional stack.

It was there to give the ship a more impressive appearance.  It was actually used for ventilation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://amp.thisisinsider.com/images/5acb8f3efacba81e008b4596-2732-1366.jpg

Phun Phact:  The last stack on the Titanic (the one the arrow is pointing at) is a non-functional stack.

It was there to give the ship a more impressive appearance.  It was actually used for ventilation.
Yeah.

I actually considered not using that photo for that reason, it was from an article discussing the #4 stack.

But I was too lazy to make my own... laziness won out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have a set of Titanic salt and pepper shakers.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137980/1_1212ea30ff13656f25422462d054936d_jpg-897807.JPG

I thought they were the tackiest souvenir I had ever seen.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#44]
That's just wrong. I'm going to hell.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I have some coal Santa left me. No certificate of authenticity though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why is it illegal to own artifacts? Made Illegal by who?

first if heard of this

ETA: answered above. Now off to learn more from Nut King Coal
View Quote

Nut King Coal
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#48]
What makes you think that its from the Titanic?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nut King Coal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is it illegal to own artifacts? Made Illegal by who?

first if heard of this

ETA: answered above. Now off to learn more from Nut King Coal

Nut King Coal
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We were at war with Japan BEFORE they attacked Pearl Harbor? WOW! I did NOT know that!!

Learn something new every day here on Arfcom.

Dead is dead, and a loss to the family of a sailor on the Titanic is just as real as the loss to the family of a sailor on the USS Arizona.

FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of looting graves in the name of Archaeology either. It's one of the reasons I lean towards cremation.
View Quote
I guess I do not understand your premise with the Titanic. It could have been Dr. Robert Ballard's wreck, he did not do it. I personally do not want anything off it. Now that civil war gold in lake Michigan?

We were manipulating Japans markets and stopped oil to their island. We knew what was coming too.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top