Rocking general white right now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope, I just vape.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Awesome! I was kinda wondering if they'd get it to you in two days or three, but either way that's pretty damn quick from across the pond.

I'm curious to hear what you bought, and how you like it. That goes for everyone who read or posted in this thread - I wanna know what you think!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As my previous post said, ordered on 6/3, shipped from Sweden, just got here.  6/5.  That's incredible.  Got a little variety, spent a lot on shipping for only a dozen or so cans, but next order will be bulk on what I like.

Awesome! I was kinda wondering if they'd get it to you in two days or three, but either way that's pretty damn quick from across the pond.

I'm curious to hear what you bought, and how you like it. That goes for everyone who read or posted in this thread - I wanna know what you think!

Ordered mine on 5/31 and got it 6/4. Not too bad considering it went from Sweden to Oregon. Only got 9 cans so ended up being $7.74 can, kind of spendy but about the same price per portion compared to Camel snus (there are more portions per Swedish can compared to Camel's tins). Once I find which one I like the best I'll do a big bulk order. I've only tried Oden's Extra Stark so far, gave me a bit of a buzz at first :)

The taste is a bit different, honestly smells a bit like dirty socks, but that taste goes away quickly and after a minute or so it doesn't taste radically different than Camel's Robust snus. A little saltier, less sweet. It does cut the cravings for cigs better than Camel, which is definitely weaker in the nicotine department.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Just tried Ettan Loose. Blech. Taste was fine but way too fine of a cut, had pieces of it all over. Think I'll stick with portions. The thing I like best about portions, aside from not getting detritus all over my mouth, is that it's easy to move from side to side and from upper lip to lower lip. I don't like keeping it in one place, tend to move it around a lot.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ordered mine on 5/31 and got it 6/4. Not too bad considering it went from Sweden to Oregon. Only got 9 cans so ended up being $7.74 can, kind of spendy but about the same price per portion compared to Camel snus (there are more portions per Swedish can compared to Camel's tins). Once I find which one I like the best I'll do a big bulk order. I've only tried Oden's Extra Stark so far, gave me a bit of a buzz at first :)

The taste is a bit different, honestly smells a bit like dirty socks, but that taste goes away quickly and after a minute or so it doesn't taste radically different than Camel's Robust snus. A little saltier, less sweet. It does cut the cravings for cigs better than Camel, which is definitely weaker in the nicotine department.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As my previous post said, ordered on 6/3, shipped from Sweden, just got here.  6/5.  That's incredible.  Got a little variety, spent a lot on shipping for only a dozen or so cans, but next order will be bulk on what I like.

This.  I'm really impressed with how many pouches you get, way different than the camel or cope cans.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:49:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.  I'm really impressed with how many pouches you get, way different than the camel or cope cans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't seem to be a standard, IIRC the cans vary from 18-22 portions. But overall, even with the shipping, it's cheaper than Camel.

At this point I'm thinking I'll get a couple rolls of Oden's Extra Stark next time I order, unless I find something I like better. Two rolls comes out to something like $3.70/can shipped @ 18 portions/each. Pretty cheap. Camel is grossly overpriced. Around here it's around $5.60/tin @ 15 portions, and that's with a lot less nicotine.

I'd order some of that Goat Rape, but I'm afraid a big dude named Bubba will show up to my door with a hard on and a goat. I'm open to new sexual experiences, but not that open.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I love Snus

Rocking general white right now.
View Quote

General White portions are so much better than any domestic tobacco I've ever had.
That being said, I can't stand the brown or green color. The blue is all I ever want.
The gas station has then for $2.49 right now. They ran out of blue and only had green the other day. I freaked out and bought some Camel Frost (also blue). While not repulsive, it was too sweet and did not satisfy me.

They've restocked and I'm whole again
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]
$60 for shipping 10 cans?  Are they serious?  
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ordered 13 cans and shipping was $28...

Are you sure you didn't put 10 rolls in your shopping cart?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope. I've never been a fan of either dip or snus.  I'll stick with pipes and cigars.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  When I put a fake address in the town where the closest UPS hub is, it dropped shipping to $26.  I live like 30 minutes from the Hub.  

Will they ship to the hub and allow pickup there?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quality thread OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quality thread OP.

Thanks! I'm glad to contribute something worthwhile to ARFCOM, I've learned so much from so many here. And thank you for your service!

Quoted:
Just tried Ettan Loose. Blech. Taste was fine but way too fine of a cut, had pieces of it all over. Think I'll stick with portions. The thing I like best about portions, aside from not getting detritus all over my mouth, is that it's easy to move from side to side and from upper lip to lower lip. I don't like keeping it in one place, tend to move it around a lot.

Got a chuckle out of that. Lös is definitely a snus that you want to put in your face and keep it in the same spot.  Mudslides (where your lös pinch crumbles and gets all over the inside of your mouth) are an occasional hazard.

What do you think of the Ettan portions? I see you got regular and white portions.

Usually I'll get 45-60 minutes per pinch, and I'll lightly churn it once with my tongue about halfway through. It refreshes the flavor. How do you like the Kaliber and Kronan? I have not tried either yet.

Quoted:
General White portions are so much better than any domestic tobacco I've ever had.
That being said, I can't stand the brown or green color. The blue is all I ever want.

*snip*

Be careful with those green ones (General Wintergreen). Not sure why, but the pouches of that flavor are notorious for failing, one end splitting open, and giving you a minty mudslide. The wife unit enjoys using the blue (General Mint), and I've never seen one of those split open like that. Do you get the ones in the rectangular can, or the circular can?

A thought for those who are doing trial orders and plan to pick up a bunch of their favorite flavor: some snusers (myself included) like to keep a few different varieties on hand to prevent boredom with a single flavor. I'll usually place an order containing one log each of my top two, and then a single can or two of something different. FWIW, I chain snus all day. If you snus less frequently, you may not run into this problem.

Burnsy, what flavors did you end up ordering? Anything you really like, or really dislike?

I should also say something about forming a portion out of lös (if you want to use the official snus terminology, you'd say "baking a prilla"). A well formed pinch will sit just fine (if you keep it in place) until it runs out of flavor. A prilla will usually run out of nicotine before it runs out of flavor. As I said above, I give my pinches a tongue spin about halfway through, and I keep a pinch in for a total of 45-60 minutes.

Here's a good video showing three different ways of forming a good lös pinch; I use the first method. ETA: I like to form my lös pinches just enough for them to stay in one piece. The flavor comes through a lot better than with tightly formed prillas. Your inner lip will be subject to less friction and irritation if you don't pack the portion too tightly. Also, dude in the video is not me.

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I ordered  

The LAB 12 Slim Strong White Mint  

Thunder Extra Strong Wintergreen  

General Original  

General Variation Smoky Oak  

General ONYX Strong Portion Snus  

Only had the Lab Strong White Mint and General Original.  I like 'em both.  I didn't want to open more than 2, I don't know how long they stay fresh once opened.

I've got a bunch in my cart I'll order at some point this week.  Does shipping go up dramatically once you start ordering by 10 to get the discount?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Great thread op! I picked up some Jakobsons at a local cigar shop. I like it, but it's mint which I don't care for. Copenhagen is my go to.

Are you really supposed to swallow the spit with this stuff? I find that it makes just as much spit as with dip.

Snus central said they needed age verification with a dl or passport, I can't order with them yet. Trying buysnus now to see if the same thing happens.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I ordered  

General Original  

Only had the Lab Strong White Mint and General Original.  I like 'em both.  I didn't want to open more than 2, I don't know how long they stay fresh once opened.

I've got a bunch in my cart I'll order at some point this week.  Does shipping go up dramatically once you start ordering by 10 to get the discount?
View Quote

Shipping breaks down like this:

$26.08 for one can

$28.75 for one log

$31.43 for two logs

$34.42 for three logs

$37.26 for four logs

$39.46 for five logs (includes $10 off auto at checkout)

About keeping snus fresh: I keep open cans in a quart sized Ziploc bag in my fridge when I'm sleeping or not at home. On a normal day at home, I'll pull out the can(s) I plan to use that day and keep them in the Ziploc, just laying on the kitchen counter or coffee table. When I'm done being awake, it's back in the refrigerator for the night. If I'm out of the house doing stuff, I'll just take one can from the fridge bag and put it in my pocket, minus the Ziploc. I haven't had any problems doing that.

FYI, white portion snus will dry out faster than the other types, especially open cans. I'm not talking a matter of hours, but I put an open can of General White (no Ziploc) in the fridge, forgot about it for two or three weeks, and it was dried out. There were only three portions left in the can, so I pitched it and opened another. Lesson learned.

Dried out snus isn't great, but can be rehydrated to an extent. I've read that some people cut off a thin slice of cucumber and fix it to the inside of the can top to rehydrate it. Others have said that they'll use a very small dripper and put one or two small drops of alcohol (not sure what kind) in the snus itself. I'm grateful that I've never had to try to rehydrate snus, although people that have done it say that the flavor/strength of the snus is a little weaker, but not terribly so.

For long term bulk snus storage, some people vacuum pack and freeze the cans. I prefer not to freeze them, mainly because the freezer in my apartment is a giant POS. Some snusers say that frozen snus can lose flavor/strength after a while. And I don't even want to know what freezer burned snus tastes like. I don't have a vacuum sealer. For cans that I'll open in about a month, I keep in a gallon sized Ziploc in the fridge. For longer storage, I wrap each can that I won't use for a while in that Glad Press N Seal stuff, then into a gallon Ziploc. I've had zero problems with that.

When you try the Smoky Oak, would you mind posting your thoughts? It sounds like something I'd enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great thread op! I picked up some Jakobsons at a local cigar shop. I like it, but it's mint which I don't care for. Copenhagen is my go to.

Are you really supposed to swallow the spit with this stuff? I find that it makes just as much spit as with dip.

Snus central said they needed age verification with a dl or passport, I can't order with them yet. Trying buysnus now to see if the same thing happens.
View Quote

Thank you!

Yes, you really swallow the spit. That's the big reason you put snus in your upper lip; putting it in the bottom lip makes you salivate a LOT more, and most people don't like that. The upper lip method produces just the right amount of saliva, and you'll probably enjoy all of the background flavors in various snuses more that way. When I would use dip, it'd go in the bottom as usual. Snus prefers to sit in the upper deck.

You will likely have to verify your age at any vendor site. I scanned and sent my DL to SnusCentral, very fast and no problem. Americans are lawsuit happy, the Swedes know this, and they want to cover their asses. Can't say that I blame them.

ETA: you might like Grov lös snus. It's the closest to Cope I've come across.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

$26.08 for one can

$28.75 for one log

$31.43 for two logs

$34.42 for three logs

$37.26 for four logs

About keeping snus fresh: I keep open cans in a quart sized Ziploc bag in my fridge when I'm sleeping or not at home. On a normal day at home, I'll pull out the can(s) I plan to use that day and keep them in the Ziploc, just laying on the kitchen counter or coffee table. When I'm done being awake, it's back in the refrigerator for the night. If I'm out of the house doing stuff, I'll just take one can from the fridge bag and put it in my pocket, minus the Ziploc. I haven't had any problems doing that.

FYI, white portion snus will dry out faster than the other types, especially open cans. I'm not talking a matter of hours, but I put an open can of General White (no Ziploc) in the fridge, forgot about it for two or three weeks, and it was dried out. There were only three portions left in the can, so I pitched it and opened another. Lesson learned.

Dried out snus isn't great, but can be rehydrated to an extent. I've read that some people cut off a thin slice of cucumber and fix it to the inside of the can top to rehydrate it. Others have said that they'll use a very small dripper and put one or two small drops of alcohol (not sure what kind) in the snus itself. I'm grateful that I've never had to try to rehydrate snus, although people that have done it say that the flavor/strength of the snus is a little weaker, but not terribly so.

For long term bulk snus storage, some people vacuum pack and freeze the cans. I prefer not to freeze them, mainly because the freezer in my apartment is a giant POS. Some snusers say that frozen snus can lose flavor/strength after a while. And I don't even want to know what freezer burned snus tastes like. I don't have a vacuum sealer. For cans that I'll open in about a month, I keep in a gallon sized Ziploc in the fridge. For longer storage, I wrap each can that I won't use for a while in that Glad Press N Seal stuff, then into a gallon Ziploc. I've had zero problems with that.

When you try the Smoky Oak, would you mind posting your thoughts? It sounds like something I'd enjoy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ordered  

General Original  

$26.08 for one can

$28.75 for one log

$31.43 for two logs

$34.42 for three logs

$37.26 for four logs

Outstanding, thank you, great write up.

And I absolutely will.  I'll get through my two current open cans and go to that one this week.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope.

If I partake in tobacco is either hookah or cigars. But then again I'm not addicted to the chemicals in some tobacco products.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thank you!

Yes, you really swallow the spit. That's the big reason you put snus in your upper lip; putting it in the bottom lip makes you salivate a LOT more, and most people don't like that. The upper lip method produces just the right amount of saliva, and you'll probably enjoy all of the background flavors in various snuses more that way. When I would use dip, it'd go in the bottom as usual. Snus prefers to sit in the upper deck.

You will likely have to verify your age at any vendor site. I scanned and sent my DL to SnusCentral, very fast and no problem. Americans are lawsuit happy, the Swedes know this, and they want to cover their asses. Can't say that I blame them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

Solid copy, thank you! I got some grov coming, I ordered about 10 different kinds. The one I'm most excited about is the Islay Whiskey. Scotch is my drink of choice. I'm more into Speyside whisky, but I hear Islay is nice so I'll give it a shot.

My first order will be from buysnus, but snus central seems to have better prices and more selection so I'll order some from them too. Being the weekend and all I figured they wouldn't look at the verification till Monday. Good to hear it went smooth with you though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks! I'm glad to contribute something worthwhile to ARFCOM, I've learned so much from so many here. And thank you for your service!

Got a chuckle out of that. Lös is definitely a snus that you want to put in your face and keep it in the same spot.  Mudslides (where your lös pinch crumbles and gets all over the inside of your mouth) are an occasional hazard.

What do you think of the Ettan portions? I see you got regular and white portions.

Usually I'll get 45-60 minutes per pinch, and I'll lightly churn it once with my tongue about halfway through. It refreshes the flavor. How do you like the Kaliber and Kronan? I have not tried either yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quality thread OP.

Quoted:

Yeah, pretty much instant mudslide. Gross. Not a big deal, I actually really like portions. Have occasionally had one break open, but nothing like the mudslide I got with the loose snus. I tend to keep them in for 1.5-2 hours, the longer they're in the greater chance the pouch breaks open.

So far I've only tried the Oden's Extra Stark and the Ettan loose. I'll update when I try the others. I'm going to try not to smoke during the day this week, might be fun to try a different can of snus every day.

Thanks for letting us know how you store it. I'm keeping my cans in the fridge, but I should put them in a ziplock bag.

As for the question about swallowing the juice, yep, that was the thing that got me to try snus last year. I've never had any ill effects. When I first experimented with smokeless tobacco in an effort to reduce my smoking I tried Copenhagen dip, but the constant spitting turned me off immediately. I occasionally spit when I first put a portion in and there's a lot of saliva, but the vast majority of time there's no spitting required. I usually keep the portion in my lower lip, which Mason pointed out elicits more saliva production than the upper lip.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:51:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Dammit... Im want to quit cope long cut, but it's so damn tasty. I may look into this, as it may be cheaper than dipping a can a day with the possible added benefit of me living to see my kids grow up.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:55:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I've tried it. I hated it. I've also snorted itright before a 15k hike and hated it even more.

I'll stick to my Copenhagen Wintergreen long cut

Why wintergreen you ask? Because the womens like the smell better. It also feels better when you conduct a Tennessee Muzzle Loader

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've tried it. I hated it. I've also snorted itright before a 15k hike and hated it even more.

I'll stick to my Copenhagen Wintergreen long cut

Why wintergreen you ask? Because the womens like the smell better. It also feels better when you conduct a Tennessee Muzzle Loader

View Quote

Holy shit I just googled "Tennessee Muzzle Loader."

You sick bastard
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:13:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I used snus to ween me off the final stages of my 15 year battle with cigarettes.  A lot of guys at work dip snus during the workday while they talk to customers.  Cool that you can swallow it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I used General when I worked at a tobacco shop. I must admit I've used Camel occasionally since as a way to cut down on smoking.

Snus is a little safer because it has low ppm of tobacco-specific nitrosamines, the nasty buggers that cause mutations and ultimately cancer.

I'm vaping now. I don't smoke if I simply don't buy them. I won't turn down one from a friend, though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:17:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

PROTIP: If your snus is dried out, apply 1-2 squeezes from a water spray bottle into the can and put it back into the fridge for a few hours. Works wonders, so there's no need to throw that one year old can that you will find one day away. I do this all the time with my portions, haven't tried it with lös yet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:44:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I used Sweedish Match General for years until the douchebag state government here in Oklahoma banned online sales of tobacco
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#29]
General Snus +1

I don't mind their variants.

Shit's like $4/can at the JR's here and only $2/can in the gas stations.  Sign up for free coupons on the General's website and you're down to $1/can.

Several gas stations around here have started carrying this stuff, most likely to me and everyone in my office using it now.....

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
PROTIP: If your snus is dried out, apply 1-2 squeezes from a water spray bottle into the can and put it back into the fridge for a few hours. Works wonders, so there's no need to throw that one year old can that you will find one day away. I do this all the time with my portions, haven't tried it with lös yet.
View Quote

Snus tips from a Swede? Hell yeah, now we're talkin! Thanks for the knowledge!

To the people considering Swedish snus as an alternative to other forms of tobacco, I cannot say this enough: please give it a shot! The worst that can happen is you not liking it. Thirstyswimmer is on the right track, IMO, thinking about getting to see his kiddos grow up. If you're feeling brave, check out the results from a Google image search for "oral cancer from dipping." Holy shit.

I was able to stop smoking cigarettes immediately when I started with the snus. There were a couple of days there at the beginning where my brain said that it wanted the taste of smokes, but a small amount of determination plus the snus kept me on track. After a day or so smokes started to smell bad, and on day three I had no interest at all in tasting cigarettes again. Taste buds seem to recover quickly, too. For lack of a better way of saying it, after a couple of no smoking days I was tasting food with more "depth" than I can remember. Same for the snus, I began picking up subtle background flavors that were totally lost on me when I smoked.

Full disclosure: my father always smoked in the house from before I was born. I started pilfering smokes from his packs when I was 10, and was buying my own packs at 13. By the time I was 18, I was doing at least two packs a day, up until early 2015. I'm in my mid 30s. Within the last year and a half I'd started wheezing in my sleep, breathing heavily just sitting around watching TV, and was having a really hard time taking and holding big breaths. The harsh reality is that the state of my health was fucking pathetic. It was embarrassing.

Since I quit smoking, I'd say those symptoms have improved by about 50% and I'm still getting better. It's never too late, guys.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#32]
It's good. Never smoked though. Trying to limit my snus intake, overly paranoid.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I use general white. Working on quitting though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's good. Never smoked though. Trying to limit my snus intake, overly paranoid.
View Quote

I'd be more worried about drinking four lokos....
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Be careful with those green ones (General Wintergreen). Not sure why, but the pouches of that flavor are notorious for failing, one end splitting open, and giving you a minty mudslide. The wife unit enjoys using the blue (General Mint), and I've never seen one of those split open like that. Do you get the ones in the rectangular can, or the circular can?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

*snip*

I've had plenty of blue ones split open. When it happens, seems like half of that can is susceptible. I think it's based on batches, not flavor.

I haven't had one open up on me in awhile, and I only get the rounds cans.  Soooooo gooooood mmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I've contacted general about the ones that split open as it does seem to be the entire can.  They'll ask you to either send the can in or take a pic of the back for their records.  And set you straight with a fresh can.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd buy the shit if it was at the gas station. All I've ever tried was the camel suns and it is good but pricey. I prefer grizz mint or wintergreen but my gums and lips are paying the price
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I quit when they changed the formula. Good thing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

To the people considering Swedish snus as an alternative to other forms of tobacco, I cannot say this enough: please give it a shot! The worst that can happen is you not liking it. Thirstyswimmer is on the right track, IMO, thinking about getting to see his kiddos grow up. If you're feeling brave, check out the results from a Google image search for "oral cancer from dipping." Holy shit.

I was able to stop smoking cigarettes immediately when I started with the snus. There were a couple of days there at the beginning where my brain said that it wanted the taste of smokes, but a small amount of determination plus the snus kept me on track. After a day or so smokes started to smell bad, and on day three I had no interest at all in tasting cigarettes again. Taste buds seem to recover quickly, too. For lack of a better way of saying it, after a couple of no smoking days I was tasting food with more "depth" than I can remember. Same for the snus, I began picking up subtle background flavors that were totally lost on me when I smoked.

Full disclosure: my father always smoked in the house from before I was born. I started pilfering smokes from his packs when I was 10, and was buying my own packs at 13. By the time I was 18, I was doing at least two packs a day, up until early 2015. I'm in my mid 30s. Within the last year and a half I'd started wheezing in my sleep, breathing heavily just sitting around watching TV, and was having a really hard time taking and holding big breaths. The harsh reality is that the state of my health was fucking pathetic. It was embarrassing.

Since I quit smoking, I'd say those symptoms have improved by about 50% and I'm still getting better. It's never too late, guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, 2 packs a day down to snusing. Good on ya. I "only" smoke half a pack a day, can't imagine 2 packs. Managed to quit for a few years, then picked it back up after a layoff and major life change. Damn it. That was about 5 years ago.

Anyhow, I snused all day at work yesterday, Oden's Extra Stark. Minimal craving for a cig. Also snused all day at work today, excepting one cig at lunch. Tried the Kaliber portions. Taste is same as Oden's as far as I could tell, but it didn't seem to last as long. Comparing the portions it seems like there's less tobacco in there. Tomorrow I'll try Kronan.

At this point I really like Oden's Extra Stark, but I'll give the other ones I bought a shot.

My problem is in the evening after work. Not exactly chain smoking, but a cig every hour or so. I was hoping vaping might take care of that, but that shit fucked my lungs up worse than regular cigs.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Snused general wintergreen for about a year.  I finally quit because I wasn't sure about the health effects.  Like any tobacco user I decided to cheat and bought a can after about two months.  I got maybe halfway through and my lymph nodes in my neck got really tender and swollen.  I put the snus down after that but chalked it up to sickness or stress.  I bought another can a few weeks later, same thing happened.  Haven't snused since but it definitely kept me off cigs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I just got my rather large package of tester snus cans straight from Sveden. I used buy snus while snus central worked out my id issue. These guys ship super fast! 3 days. Can't ask for more than that. I hear they all pretty much ship that fast.

Anyway, I found General white portions and Jakobssons mint strong portions locally. They were both ok. Nothing great, but ok. I found myself going through both of them pretty fast. Also, the portions made a lot more spit than I expected, which made it hard to swallow. Been dipping cope so long, I just couldn't do it.

So my new stuff arrives this morning. I immediately go for the Grov Los and try out my little mortar tool that was recommended. Wow! This loose stuff is where it's at. The mortar tool makes it stupid easy to make the right size pinch and places it perfectly. I got a nic hit that I haven't had in a while! I was hoping that the loose would replace my cope. So far, it has. Almost no spit as well. And what spit it does make, it has almost no flavor in it. That's a good thing for me because I have a mental block getting all that brown juice down. I know, gross. So while I have plenty of portions, I will be using the loose probably forever. Ymmv, but it's great.

Thanks again op!
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Snus Central shipped crazy fast.  I ordered late Sunday night and received my order this afternoon.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#43]

ARFCOM screen name? ^^^

You all that have quit, or are quitting, tobacco entirely are probably smarter than the rest of us by miles. I enjoy the flavor a bit too much, and I definitely lean on the stimulant boost from the nicotine to keep me going when natural energy is running low. The lesser of many evils, I guess.

Please feel free to post your thoughts/reviews on the snuses you use or try here. I just received an order yesterday for one log each of Grov lös, Ettan lös and Göteborgs Prima Fint lös, plus individual cans of a few I've been wanting to try. Grov lös was "buy 10, get 5 more free." Yes!! A few of the one-offs: Islay Whisky portion, Göteborgs Rapé White Hjortron white portion, General Variation Smoky Oak and a couple others. I'll avoid the wine snob/fancy pants review approach.

Cathan: how did you do at work this week, snusing instead of smoking? Do you think you'd be able to drop smokes entirely if you used snus in the evenings also? I bet that Oden's Extra Stark is a good kick in the ass in the AM and after lunch. I gave the vapor deal a couple of chances, and it was ok...temporarily. Can't say exactly what was missing, but after a week or two the vapor just lacked oomph.

RWC: I'm really happy that you found the Grov lös a satisfactory swap for Cope, and very cool you like the Mortar! You may also like the General Variation Smoky Oak. It's a portion snus, and I've only had one so far, but there's a very satisfying tobacco flavor and nic hit there. I'll put up a more detailed analysis after I've had a few portions. If you don't mind my asking, what all did you get in your initial order aside from the Islay Whisky and Grov lös? Oh! I just read that Islay is going to be available in lös in about two months!

DTI: I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad reaction to General Wintergreen. Have you tried any of the other flavors, or do you think it's an "across the board" thing with snus? Either way, excellent to hear you were able to kick the smokes!

FreeFloater is right on regarding snus portions busting open, and being batch dependent. I haven't experienced it in anything but General Wintergreen, but Google says it happens every once in a while with some very popular snuses. Does this happen frequently with American Bandit-type dip pouches?

harleyrkc: What all did you get from SC? Anything stand out at you, good or bad?

It's very cool that there we've got some new, and some established snusers here! It's great to hear that your orders are coming in quickly. Seems like snus vendors have a good grasp on the difference that freshness makes, and they care enough to get you the good stuff ASAP. I will say that I'm absolutely baffled by the ban on Internet tobacco in OK. WTF?
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Here's what I got, all varieties of strengths in loose and portions. In all, about 40 various cans. A bit much, but with 30 dollars for shipping, I don't want to be paying that to often.

General, g.3, and onyx.
Ettan.
Thunder frosted, which isn't for me I found.
Skruf.
Odins extreme and I got a vanilla one too.

My second order was the 15 cans of loose grov. Good price. I got a couple of the waterproof general cans as well. The mortar tool grabs wax sometimes, plus accessories man. With that mortar tool working as well as it did, I went ahead and got a stainless one as well.

The grov is my favorite so far. I'm on the general extra loose now. It's great too, more salty though. I'm stoked about the loose islay. That would seriously be tits man. I've thought about putting some whiskey in a can of grov to try it out. The portions are not for me. I have to put 2 of em in just to get things going. Won't be buying any more of them. They taste good, just don't last long enough for me.

I hope this thread keeps going. Been great so far!

Eta: This thing works reall good as well. I used this spittoon for like 4 years and wore it slap out.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/191547147562
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Is there one that compares to Camel Mellow?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is there one that compares to Camel Mellow?
View Quote

Just from browsing around some snus forums, looks like Ettan white portions are comparable. I haven't tried camel mello, but the Ettan portions are tasty.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Mason_Winston I ordered a log of Islay Whiskey and a variety of individual cans.  So far Ive tried General White that I picked up at a local gas station, it was satisfying.  From my SnusCentral order I've tried the Islay Whiskey which I really liked, and I'm currently working on a can of Catch Licorice white that's OK but a little weak for my palette.  At least this has kept me away from my normal cigar habit.  This is a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks to Mason_Winston, who graciously helped me acquire some snus to try, I have some thoughts on the varieties I've tried so far.

1.  Catch Spearmint Long Slim White

Grade:  A

This one is quite tasty.  Very straightforward flavor.  Exactly what I expected.  Could easily become my go-to snus.

2.  The LAB Fresh Lemon Slim White

Grade:  D

Very "unnatural" lemon taste.  Metallic?  Gross.  Can't feel any nicotine hit at all.

3.  The LAB 13 Slim Extra Strong Formula+

Grade:  A

Nice berry flavor with moderate to strong nic effect.  Like this one a whole lot.

4.  Skruf Slim Mynta White

Grade:  B-

I'm a mint fan, but this particular mint flavor is not my taste.  Almost a "muddy" mint taste.  Not crisp like I hoped.

5.  Jakobsson's Wintergreen Strong

Grade:  B+

Another straightforward flavor, just what I expected.  Easy transition from Cope/Skoal/Griz wintergreen flavor.

6.  Goteborgs Rape Lingon

Grade:  B

I have nothing to compare this flavor to.  Interesting but nothing extraordinary.  

None of the regular strength portions are strong enough for me, being very stimulant tolerant.  I got a little something from the Extra Strong portion if I put two portions in.  I need to try some of the extremely high nic content snuses.

I find myself preferring regular portions as opposed to white portions.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Wtturn, try some odins extreme. Hits pretty good imho.

Eta: The Skruf extra stark slim white portions are awesome as well. Just ordered a roll of them after trying the tester can I ordered.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Bumping a good thread.

Quoted:
Cathan: how did you do at work this week, snusing instead of smoking? Do you think you'd be able to drop smokes entirely if you used snus in the evenings also? I bet that Oden's Extra Stark is a good kick in the ass in the AM and after lunch. I gave the vapor deal a couple of chances, and it was ok...temporarily. Can't say exactly what was missing, but after a week or two the vapor just lacked oomph.
View Quote

I managed to snus all week at work, though I did sneak a smoke at lunch yesterday. Cut my cig consumption down to around 6 per day this week.

I tried the Kronan and Kaliber, as well as finishing off a can of Oden's Extra Stark. Honestly I can't tell the difference in taste between any of them, though the Extra Stark is definitely stronger and lasts longer. The weaker portions only seem to last for an hour or so, Extra Stark lasts closer to an hour and a half and has a stronger initial effect. First time I tried it it gave me a bit of a head rush :)

I plan on ordering a roll or two of Oden's Extra Stark. Might also try some mint just to mix it up. I know it's heresy, but I like the taste of Camel Robust snus better, the unflavored Swedish snus is a bit bitter/salty---not sure how to describe it, it's OK, but I get tired of the taste after a few hours.

Still not sure how to deal with my penchant for smoking after work. I have to move soon, and since most places don't allow smoking I might be forced to try out my e-cig again. Suppose I could try stronger liquids.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top