Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Purely a guess:

A U2 pilot gets shot down in hostile territory.

Mav and crew are called in to cover while the pilot is rescued.

Drama and awesome flying scenes ensue.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This seems highly likely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Near the end of the movie he will introduce a new Top Gun, and it will be a female and she will save him, proving herself..... sequels will ensue.
That will kill off the franchise in a hurry.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I was 5 y/o when I first watched Top Gun.. must've re-winded that thing to hell playing it over and over again. Definitely inspired me to joint the military. Watching this trailer gave me goosebumps and hearing the telltale theme put a tear in my eye. I hope this film inspires young Americans to join our ranks.. we need them.

Can't wait to watch the film!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can anyone point out some SJW stuff in any recent Tom Cruise movies?
View Quote
For all the "durrr it'll be full of SJW stuff" folks, I'm still waiting.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Drones are the enemy? Iceman returns?

Fox article
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Plot goes like this.

Goose didn't die, it was a a setup. He staged his own death after being contacted by the Iranians. They offered him the chance to step out of Mavericks shadow, millions of dollars, and all the volleyball gayness his heart desired. In return he has to put together a squadron of f14 pilots and attack America. 30 something years later the f14s are finally operational and the pilots are semi trained. By this time goose is a raging alcoholic and regrets his life choices. Wanting to do something for America goose secretly plans a strike against the faa headquarters. The plan is to have his Iranian co pilots attack the buildings while he makes contact with Maverick and defects back to America. Maverick hears Goose calling on the radio and a homoerotic conversation ensues, Maverick unable to forgive goose for the pain and suffering he caused chasses goose's f14 all the way to the Rocky mountains ( trailer scenes). After Maverick switches to guns he fires and goose has to eject. Maverick lands on the salt flats they are conveniently flying above and runs over to a dying goose. They share a moment, goose tells him of the destruction of the faa building and the Iranians surrender their now out of fuel f14's. Goose becomes the hero everyone always thought he was. Gpz900#dangerzone.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Terminator movies?  Perfectly fine!
Alien movies?  Perfectly fine!
Time travel movies?  Perfectly fine!
Movie about a pilot Naval Aviator who's only a Captain after 30 years?  OH MY FUCKING GOD THE OUTRAGE THAT'S UNREALISTIC THE MOVIE IS GOING TO BE AWFUL FUCK YOU AND FUCK EVERYONE EVER INVOLVED FROM TOM CRUISE DOWN TO THE GUY AT THE MOVIE THEATER WHO SOLD YOU YOUR TICKET
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Age waivers for everyone!!

Jennifer Connelly
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#11]
From one of the YouTube comments:

"If it weren't for the Scientology thing, he'd probably be just as loved as Keanu."
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He’s in San Diego Comic Con today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mveeFrDGm_4
View Quote
They closed the biggest street in town for that crap. A bunch of others too, but seriously, closing Harbor on front of the convention center fucked shit up.  Normally there are signs a month in advance when a road will be closed or congested due to an event.  Nothing this time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We all know top gun isn't in Miramar.
View Quote
In the original, it "was".
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Im just shocked that Maverick is not a african american lesbian, and her copilot goose is now a gay mexican american, with iceman a racist redneck, and half the dialog about how its purely misogyny  keeping females out of combat, and they can do anything a male can do. oh, and fuck trump.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was talking to a friend who works for the USAF as a civilian F-16 ejection seat mechanic.
He said that the F-16 ACES II ejection seat does not have canopy breakers on it as the canopy of the F-16 is too strong for a seat mounted canopy breaker to work.
Something to do with the canopy being built strong enough for bird strikes.

He said after the ejection sequence has been initiated hot gas exits one side of the seat from the initiators on the front of the seat.
That gas actuates the mechanisms that break the posts on which the canopy lock onto which allows the canopy to release and jettison.
Once the canopy is gone an initiator sends hot gas back in thru the hoses on the other side of the seat.
Some of this gas is directed to the sequencer, and some goes directly to the catapult to initiate it.
Boom, out the plane goes the pilot.

If the canopy does not release and jettison the ejection cycle cannot continue.
View Quote

Wonder if the canopy's strength comes from the material used and that it is a one piece design?  That would suck to not be able to have the canopy release.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They did. IP in the back of a 2-seater.

He was flying in Lemoore all last summer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you think Navy gave him the keys to an F18?
They did. IP in the back of a 2-seater.

He was flying in Lemoore all last summer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He was a LT in 1986, so he's got at least four years in, right? Figure a 1982 Commissioning. It's 2019, so a minimum of 37 years. Shouldn't he be wearing stars on his shoulder boards by now?
View Quote
Know how I know you didn't watch the trailer?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Tom Cruise: "Top Gun: Maverick" Is A Love Letter To Aviation | CONAN on TBS
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But with CGI being at its current state, it's 100 percent possible that the cat launch was done by a Navy pilot and Tom's face replaced his via state of the art CGI.
View Quote
Absolutely. Look what DeepFace can do now, this is by normal dudes just playing with Tom Cruise's face:
We Made The Best Deepfake on The Internet
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Absolutely. Look what DeepFace can do now, this is by normal dudes just playing with Tom Cruise's face:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vHvOyZ0GbY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But with CGI being at its current state, it's 100 percent possible that the cat launch was done by a Navy pilot and Tom's face replaced his via state of the art CGI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vHvOyZ0GbY
Except in this case it's possible to see that Tom is sitting further back in the jet than when a pilot is sitting in the front (or only) seat of an F-18.  Also if you watch cat shot videos the pilot is holding onto a handle on the canopy frame fairly high up while Cruise is holding much lower (damn near the frame rail) because the back seat doesn't have such a frame rail.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm feeling skeptical about this.  The charm of the first movie was a bunch of bad-boys who broke the rules but got the job done.  But there's just something kind of sad about the bad boy who never grows up.  I think it would have been better if Maverick was now the mature guy training new pilots, and he meets a young version of himself.
View Quote
They did that in The Guardian
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nope.  I'm pretty sure it's a combat edge (or whatever the Navy calls their version) helmet.  The didn't exist back then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
he may want to tighten up them belts a bit

https://i.imgur.com/UF9mOGv.gif
That also looks like the same helmet Maverick was wearing in Top Gun.
Nope.  I'm pretty sure it's a combat edge (or whatever the Navy calls their version) helmet.  The didn't exist back then.
Actually, they did, but were mainly used by MiG-28 pilots.

The Gentex HGU-55 helmet has been around since at least the mid 1980s.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Near the end of the movie he will introduce a new Top Gun, and it will be a female and she will save him, proving herself..... sequels will ensue.
You mean they won’t be able to make a top gun 3 25 years from now?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There’s little crosses in the HUD that line up as you raise or lower the seat. Once hitting the perfect and safe spot the crosses exactly overlap. However, almost all dudes I know sit way higher in the seat for better visibility.
View Quote
But is there a cup holder?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Let's hope the trailer isn't the best part of the movie.

Wait did someone say Jennifer Connelly?

And Jean Louisa Kelly?  Hmm... Haven't seen her since Uncle Buck.

Okay, I'm in. (Pun intended.)
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Gentex HGU-33. We still use them with the Collings jets.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I feel like I am repeating myself but he was in the front seat with an instructor in the back. Or maybe reverse but he was 100% flying. My JOs had even heard him on the radio while airborne.
View Quote
if it makes you feel any better i noticed the first time you posted and definitely appreciate what you are adding to the thread!
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I guess I should finally watch Top Gun.
View Quote
The only movie more overrated is Heat.

Top Gun was ok, but that's it.

I'll probably watch Top Gun 2 when it hits Netflix.  Maybe.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not on a CGI plane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn’t flying that low over the desert going to suck in a load of sand and disintegrate the engines?

Will watch anyway
Not on a CGI plane.
The Blues do their annual preseason workup at Fallon NAS and they fly those manuevers at those altitudes over the desert all the time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Meow.

I've got a thing for Jennifer Connelly.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

For the F-16, yes...the seat leans back 30 degrees.

I don't have a clue what clearance a pilot's knees would have under or around an F-16's " dash ".

But I would imagine that ACES II rocket would have so much gumption to it that inertia wise, your legs would just naturally bend under the seat.

I am sure there is some practicing with the life support folks too where they watch you quickly tuck your legs back and yank the ejection handle at the same time.  Repeatedly.

EDIT:  in their life support shop with a practice ejection seat/mock up of a cockpit.
View Quote
There's retractors that clip to the pilot's ankles.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#34]
When I first saw this thread yesterday, the Thunderbirds had arrived in town for the air show this weekend and they were doing some practicing overhead.

Coincidence?

I think not.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Meow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Meow.

Oh yeah....ever since I first saw her in Labyrinth.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The seat has straps that pull your legs back towards the seat when you eject so you don’t knock your knees on the instrument panel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is cool as hell.  The sitting higher part makes sense in that we hear a lot of pilots mentioning the ability to see is crucial in dogfighting.  Doesn't the F-16 have the pilot leaned back more than a lot of other aircraft?  I'd be worried about wrecking my knees and lower legs in an ejection.
The seat has straps that pull your legs back towards the seat when you eject so you don’t knock your knees on the instrument panel.
Not all seats have the leg garters, Escapac IG-3 doesn't but the Martin Baker MK5 and MK7 does.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#37]
That music with the bells at the start of Top Gun and in the trailer....
Nostalgic
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That music with the bells at the start of Top Gun and in the trailer....
Nostalgic
View Quote
Big time.

Also, it looks like there's a lot of references to the original in the trailer.  This is fucking awesome.  Hopefully there's a recreation of when Charlie was walking through all the guys on the ramp for the first time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I am betting that is Iceman's funeral he is at. Or maybe Vipers?

ETA - The F14 at the end is probably a dream sequence.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#40]
man, military jets are cool as fuck  .... in less than 100 years we went from the thought of maned flight being crazy to this AMAZING
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#41]
FWIW, most of his movies in the past have not been completely social justice bullshit turds.  Top Gun and it’s butt slapping was about as bad as they got. Hopefully the reason they did not give away any of the plot is the rest of its was so crammed with hollywood sjw crap these were the only scenes left.

Will probably watch after I hear a review it is not what I fear it might be.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fucking Hollywood.  That's some shameful shit.
View Quote
Indeed.

pC bs
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Saw the original with my dad right before we moved to Pensacola so he could attend Naval aviator/ flight school.  ALL those guys back then thought they were Tom Cruise.  It was awesome.  I would watch the Blue Angels from my balcony practicing weekly.  I got to know many of them as they were literal neighbors, there and in JAX Nas in the future.  It was glorious and I didnt even know how special it was until the last decade now that I am nowhere near an NAS or any naval facility.  I miss it all.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Tom Cruise is a great actor.  I'm confident he could play a transgendered bull dyke of any sort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glad they kept Tom cruise as Maverick rather than recasting his character as an transgendered bull dyke of some sort.
Tom Cruise is a great actor.  I'm confident he could play a transgendered bull dyke of any sort.
Tom Mapother always plays Tom Cruise. I've never seen him act.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ed Harris looks just as young as one of my 1st Sgts....who wasn't even 40 years old
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/80601/Screenshot_20190718-215117_Facebook_jpg-1021569.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's no way that movie won't suck.
I agree.  Anytime they wait 30+ years for a sequel you know it's going to be bad.

Tom Cruise would have been booted out after hitting 30 years as a Captain.  Ed Harris is too damn old to play anyone who is active in the military.
It's Hollywood, I seem to remember an ancient Lee Marvin as a sargent in WWII after having been an equally ancient sargent in WWI, I seem to remember another film where a really ancient Gunny in a film that had fought at Heartbreak Ridge and who 33 years later kicked some Cuban ass in Grenada at the age of 57 or 58.
Ed Harris looks just as young as one of my 1st Sgts....who wasn't even 40 years old
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/80601/Screenshot_20190718-215117_Facebook_jpg-1021569.JPG
Obligatory TL...

Link Posted: 7/19/2019 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
man, military jets are cool as fuck  .... in less than 100 years we went from the thought of maned flight being crazy to this AMAZING
View Quote
I was reading up on the Hornets NCTR system the other day. In summary the NCTR system uses the radar to count the fan blades of an unknown radar contact and tries to identify it based on that. Talk about crazy and a far cry from the sopwith camel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck yea
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There's no way that movie won't suck.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Tom Cruise doesn't make bad movies.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wait, you want Hollyweird to actually have an original thought?

How quaint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm feeling skeptical about this.  The charm of the first movie was a bunch of bad-boys who broke the rules but got the job done.  But there's just something kind of sad about the bad boy who never grows up.  I think it would have been better if Maverick was now the mature guy training new pilots, and he meets a young version of himself.
Wait, you want Hollyweird to actually have an original thought?

How quaint.
Didn't hollywood do that with the coast guard movie starring Costner and Kushner?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top