Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#1]
In the best worst case scenario, they are all dead now.

I do hope someone is able to find out their demise either way it could've been, although depressurization at depth is not likely to leave much but fragments that will blend into the ocean floor.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wonder if the USN has any subs in the area to help.
View Quote

Nothing at 12500 feet...
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The whole operation sounds like a shit show, so possibly the sonar malfunctioned, to. Maybe Windows 10 BSODed topside, and by the time they rebooted, the sub had drifted out of communication range.

My bet is that
1- The viewport failed,
2- The thing imploded,
3- The above happened, and they’re drifting somewhere, perhaps even on the surface (unless they have a beacon for such a scenario?),
4- They had a fire and they’ve all burned or succumbed to smoke.

But only #2 or 3 seemingly would explain being lost to sonar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought they tracked this thing from the surface with side scan sonar completely through the mission. That’s how they let the crew know where to drive the thing to end up at the right spot.

I keep hearing they lost comms with the sub but no one brings up the side scan tracking.

Even with no comms they should know exactly where it is via the side scan sonar tracking.

If the ship lost the tracking via sonar AND the comms at the same time then it likely imploded.

What an I missing here?
The whole operation sounds like a shit show, so possibly the sonar malfunctioned, to. Maybe Windows 10 BSODed topside, and by the time they rebooted, the sub had drifted out of communication range.

My bet is that
1- The viewport failed,
2- The thing imploded,
3- The above happened, and they’re drifting somewhere, perhaps even on the surface (unless they have a beacon for such a scenario?),
4- They had a fire and they’ve all burned or succumbed to smoke.

But only #2 or 3 seemingly would explain being lost to sonar.

Tangled/caught up in Titanic wreckage is a possibility or lost power and is no where in the area due to floating away in the current.. a 6kt current would put them miles and miles away into the atlantic.  No chance to being located if thats the case. but still doesnt explain why the ballast wasnt dropped if that was the case since they can manually drop the ballast and rise.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought they tracked this thing from the surface with side scan sonar completely through the mission. That’s how they let the crew know where to drive the thing to end up at the right spot.

I keep hearing they lost comms with the sub but no one brings up the side scan tracking.

Even with no comms they should know exactly where it is via the side scan sonar tracking.

If the ship lost the tracking via sonar AND the comms at the same time then it likely imploded.

What an I missing here?
View Quote

Nothing

You got things right.  Looking for it is a HUGE waste of money and time and the folks at OceanGate coffins know it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tangled/caught up in Titanic wreckage is a possibility
View Quote

They didn’t make it down to the titanic, lost comms halfway there…
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tangled/caught up in Titanic wreckage is a possibility

that doesnt mean they didnt make it down there, they have lost comms many times during many of the trips down. and they were close to being on bottom when they lost comms.. and hour and 45 mins into a 2 hour decent. 15 mins away is not far
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#7]
If they did implode, will they have to pay an EPA fee?

https://www.epa.gov/ocean-dumping/burial-sea

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tangled/caught up in Titanic wreckage is a possibility or lost power and is no where in the area due to floating away in the current.. a 6kt current would put them miles and miles away into the atlantic.  No chance to being located if thats the case. but still doesnt explain why the ballast wasnt dropped if that was the case since they can manually drop the ballast and rise.
View Quote

It had a catastrophic implosion.

The Abyss - Lt. Coffey's death

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was a submarine nuke
View Quote
Dork.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Both tweeted by the coast guard within the past few minutes.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#11]
My vote goes towards implosion given the time frame and no emergency floatation deployed. If that's the case, at least one if not both end caps should fall within a couple miles of the main wreck, and be fairly easy to find if looked for soon. I'm sure one or both of the two massively rich family's lawyers would be wanting that found asap, no matter what a waiver said or cost of hiring a vessel to locate it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also, I'd like to retract my theory of external snags ripping cabling out; it appears all the photos going around are the early preproduction versions where they were testing things at shallow depths; the company posted this a few days ago; you can see how they've put a fairing over everything now.

https://i.imgur.com/JPgHNSu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/t1Vq5te.jpg
View Quote

Is that a lifting eye in the 2nd picture?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fuck no it's not.

I've been doing nothing but scouring for memes laughing about these dead billionaires the last couple days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fuck no it's not.

I've been doing nothing but scouring for memes laughing about these dead billionaires the last couple days.

That’s actually pretty damn sad.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhBPF4yfkI

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhBPF4yfkI

yes most very likely
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Going out on a limb here….. megalodon. Giant squid. Unknown sea monster. Godzilla. Jörmungandr
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Apropos of that, they're reforming the company as Watergate...

View Quote
Savage
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Going out on a limb here….. megalodon. Giant squid. Unknown sea monster. Godzilla. Jörmungandr
View Quote

Imagine power failure and you sink. Pitch black and it's cold. Someone powers up their cell phone flashlight app and you just see a giant eye (or eyes) out the single window.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Both tweeted by the coast guard within the past few minutes.

View Quote

Good development.

My opinion, it will be found quickly or it won’t be found at all.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great, now I have to look up Jormungandr....with the two little dots though.
I do hope that the people in the sub didn't suffer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Kraken ? ? ?

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Imagine power failure and you sink. Pitch black and it's cold. Someone powers up their cell phone flashlight app and you just see a giant eye (or eyes) out the single window.
View Quote

It could be worse. You could see a giant pair of tonsils as it is swallowing you..
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck no it's not.

Yup, I bet the left is doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nothing at 12500 feet...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing at 12500 feet...

Just read up on the Thresher. Was operating at 1300-2000' when it imploded.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Searching the seafloor in complete darkness other than a flood light? I think they figured, we're here, we might as well get some stick time in.

That's beyond a needle in a haystack.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#26]
My guess is one of 2 scenarios.

A- implosion
B- total loss of power
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Kraken ? ? ?

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/powerlisting/images/c/c5/King_Kraken.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20220616094322

I called it pages back.

Kraken wrapped it up

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Took a break, 10 pages later, no new cool memes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
although depressurization at depth is not likely to leave much but fragments that will blend into the ocean floor.
View Quote

Not exactly depressurization...
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nothing at 12500 feet...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing at 12500 feet...

The fact that legitimate 9-figure .gov submarines can’t go to the depth at hand underscores how fucking crazy this was.

Hey, let’s skip Mars and go to Jupiter in our homemade space shuttle!

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My guess is one of 2 scenarios.

A- implosion
B- total loss of power
View Quote

my guess is
total loss of power then implosion.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#32]
O2 Time 0:00

RIP
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Trump team finally released it.  The woke folks at OceanGate were the first victims.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's hope it wasn't Jömungandr!

encircling the Earth (Midgard) and biting his own tail, an example of an ouroboros. As a result of it surrounding Midgard (the Earth) it is referred to as the World Serpent. When it releases its tail, Ragnarök (the final battle of the world) will begin.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
O2 Time 0:00

RIP
View Quote

Been dead for days.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Let's hope it wasn't Jömungandr!

encircling the Earth (Midgard) and biting his own tail, an example of an ouroboros. As a result of it surrounding Midgard (the Earth) it is referred to as the World Serpent. When it releases its tail, Ragnarök (the final battle of the world) will begin.
View Quote

That's why it's feasible that it is in fact, Jörmungandr
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not exactly depressurization...
View Quote

More like the ocean’s version of entropy.

Just mother ocean taking back what belonged to her.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#40]
So they're JUST NOW getting an ROV down there? Unbelievable. It's going to be sad if it turns out they've been sitting by the wreck all this time. Remember, they were just 15 minutes from it when they lost comms.  Sigh. Well, it's over now, for sure.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#41]
The old people on my Facebook feed getting upset about the memes is pretty humorous
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A guy who's been on the submersible said the inside temp of the sub is around 32-34 degrees when they are down at the Titanic. Outside water temp is around 29 degrees. People usually wearing light clothes and go barefoot on the submersible since it's only an 8-10 hr trip.
View Quote

That’s highly illogical.

An inside temperature of 32-34 degrees for more than 5 minutes is something you dress for. You don’t wear shorts and flip flops for 10 hours at those temps.

One way or the other that report isn’t correct. Either the inside temps are higher or they wear more clothes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Middle-aged white male CEO of the sub company says "Middle-aged white men need not apply." In a Twist of irony he's one of the people on this missing sub  

Woopsie

View Quote

This.  Self hating mentally ill liberal.  His elaborate suicide is a gain for society.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#45]
If they lost power, managed to dump ballast, and surface with no coms they could have suffocated on the surface since the thing doesn't have a hatch.   Plausible or not?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If they lost power, managed to dump ballast, and surface with no coms they could have suffocated on the surface since the thing doesn't have a hatch.   Plausible or not?
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wonder if there's even anything left to find.  Do we know how carbon fiber reacts to this kind of implosion at these pressures?  A maelstrom of molecules suddenly accelerated from zero to XXX, pressure combustion... there may be nothing left but carbon fiber slivers and a few motor windings.
View Quote

I do know that filament wound scuba tanks have high pressure ratings (5,000 psi?) but poor service life compared with steel or even aluminum.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Plot twist: the trouble was not caused by the shortcuts taken in building the sub but by an unrelated external factor such as getting tangled in a fishing net, snagged on the titanic, suicidal passenger, etc.  ocean gate is vindicated when they find the sub and they continue building tin cans and people continue paying for rides.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Sooo... moving on. Who should star in the made for TV documentary about this company?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Dork.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a submarine nuke
Dork.

Somebody needed to mind the teakettle and row the boat.  A real nerd would remember the fast fission non-escape probability equation in the six factor formula.
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top