User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The noise being heard is not any person. Even my wife pointed out that if someone in that sub was trying to signal, they’d bang out … - - - …
Everyone knows this bit of morse code.
View Quote

What would that sound like after echoes and passing through various salinity and thermal layers in over two miles of water?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think it says more about the fabric of society that some egotistical woke rich dude thought his money made him smarter than the experts he mocked for their race and age and it resulted in his demise aboard a shoddily built death machine.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Titan II. They started booking at 9am this morning on kickstarter
View Quote

10% off with cash.
I ain't paying no 3% cc fee.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Here’s hoping that all the actual experts, that complained about design and safety issues, were wrong and there wasn’t a catastrophic implosion.  

Also that they are sitting peacefully on the bottom, in complete darkness, conserving air, banging away on something metal as millions of dollars are being spent to find them…..and the shitter isn’t full.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I lol at the people clutching pearls about the government taking 4 days to get another submersible capable of diving that deep to the grave site.

Planning for a rescue is the responsibility of the company taking people down there for profit.  Not some random strangers.

Remember, the government is not here to save you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm a not an engineer in that field of underwater travel.

However the entire thing seems rigged from top to bottom. That says a lot considering for the last 33 years I've designed, fabricated and erected quick turnaround structures, piping, vessels, and such in chemical plants and refineries when something breaks down, bruns up, blows up. I been a lot of rules. Bend, bot break. I know the OSHA regulator on hand on a first name basis and we work together to "bend" a lot of rules not break them in order to keep them disaster from getting worse and at the same time having the process get back online. Money is not ojbect in most cases, time is.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think it says more about the fabric of society that some egotistical woke rich dude thought his money made him smarter than the experts he mocked for their race and age and it resulted in his demise aboard a shoddily built death machine.
View Quote

Was that the billionaire that is now an attraction or the tourist company owner?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The lack of basic human decency on display is pretty disgusting. It speaks volumes about the fabric of society.
View Quote

It’s one thing to make fun of somebody who is the victim of misfortune and that doesn’t often happen.  

It’s another thing to make fun of people who reap their own misfortune whether through hubris (ceo guy) or willful ignorance (the rich people).  The only person involved who likely shares no fault is the 19 year old son - I was pretty dumb at 19 and if I was raised as a rich kid I’d also probably go along with anything my dad told me.  

Additionally, I believe it’s human nature to view with disdain people who achieve things without putting in the effort.  Like rich people who climb Mt Everest when they hire sherpas to carry their gear, the rich kid in high school who’s parents bought him a $$$$ car, or the worthless guy at work who got the job due to nepotism.  

You wouldn’t be complaining if we were laughing at the Russian guy who stuck his arm in a bear cage and the bear ripped his arm off.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

honestly i have little compassion for openly going into harms way in a device obviously not made to survive. i put this right up there with dudes in a wingsuit hitting a mountain. sad about any loss of life, but aself created problem that was 100% avoidable. i have no problem with mocking stupidity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t blame them.
The lack of basic human decency on display is pretty disgusting. It speaks volumes about the fabric of society.

honestly i have little compassion for openly going into harms way in a device obviously not made to survive. i put this right up there with dudes in a wingsuit hitting a mountain. sad about any loss of life, but aself created problem that was 100% avoidable. i have no problem with mocking stupidity.

That's a pretty good analogy imo.  This was 4-5 people in a big wingsuit from Wish.com.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

10% off with cash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Titan II. They started booking at 9am this morning on kickstarter

10% off with cash.

The Ticketmaster fees are what'll get you
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The most logical and satisfying thing they could have done about 12 hours in would to have strangled the motherfucker in charge to death. If they did that they still have hours of air left.
View Quote
Sam Hyde On The OceanGate Titanic Submarine

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Probably going to be a 50 something white guy that finds this thing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#14]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trieste_

These things no longer have a "dump ballast, float to surface" option?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What would that sound like after echoes and passing through various salinity and thermal layers in over two miles of water?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The noise being heard is not any person. Even my wife pointed out that if someone in that sub was trying to signal, they’d bang out … - - - …
Everyone knows this bit of morse code.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh no not the fabric of society
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The old people on my Facebook feed getting upset about the memes is pretty humorous

I don’t blame them.

Oh no not the fabric of society

I know right.
It’s a pretty difficult concept for some to grasp.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or, if they never find it, 50 something white guys will be blamed for not finding it.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

that doesnt mean they didnt make it down there, they have lost comms many times during many of the trips down. and they were close to being on bottom when they lost comms.. and hour and 45 mins into a 2 hour decent. 15 mins away is not far
View Quote

They have temporarily lost comms in the past. the sub has no navigation capability and has to be guided to the wreck by the mother ship.

The subs only navigation capability appears to be the ability to find its own wreck site.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here’s hoping that all the actual experts, that complained about design and safety issues, were wrong and there wasn’t a catastrophic implosion.  

Also that they are sitting peacefully on the bottom, in complete darkness, conserving air, banging away on something metal as millions of dollars are being spent to find them…..and the shitter isn’t full.
View Quote

Catastrophic implosion might be preferable than dying from lack of oxygen. Would your brain even have time to process what’s happening? Probably wouldn’t feel a thing it would be so quick.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#24]
25 hours later, I'll say it again.

Eventually that sub will be found.

If they do raise it and break out the lug wrench and pop the hatch open, they will find the owner with his hat shoved down his throat strangled by his own socks and a game controller shoved up his ass.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Fuck you Stockton Rush"
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much.

Also, stupid shit like this stunt is not a new thing:

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#27]
CO2 scrubbers probably don't work well as the temperature dropped.
No matter how much extra O2 they have CO2 would have raised to toxic levels days ago.
Still think implosion got them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I lol at the people clutching pearls about the government taking 4 days to get another submersible capable of diving that deep to the grave site.

Planning for a rescue is the responsibility of the company taking people down there for profit.  Not some random strangers.

Remember, the government is not here to save you.
View Quote

Considering the people we now routinely abandon in areas like Afghanistan and Sudan, it actually pisses me off that we are spending resources to go after 5 assholes that willingly got on that dumbass contraption.

Their lives are no less valuable, and they were far more careless with them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I know most of us feel bad about 4 people dying in that machine. But is there anyone who feels bad for Cockton Rush(ceo oceangate)? I for one do not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The fact that something this incredibly stupid even happened says even more about the current state of society.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t blame them.

The fact that something this incredibly stupid even happened says even more about the current state of society.

Yeah.  I don’t think most people are laughing at their deaths.  Most of the jokes are related to the incredible absurdity of the whole operation.  From the game controller to Wal Mart chairs and the CEO trashing white men there are plenty of opportunities for mockery.

This isn’t like people are making fun of trapped Chilean miners.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don’t blame them.

View Quote

Sorry but you pay twice what a middle class family earns for 4 hours going where no reasonable human should be on a vessel that looks like the Iranians built…all you can do is laugh.

Murder, crime, mayhem, accidents, acts of nature—absolutely requires decorum. This thing is approaching Jackass levels of nope.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#32]
sadly pretty much all rescue theater at this point

chalk it up to a flawed execution of a cascade of bad ideas
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Search area twice the size of the state of Connecticut. Thousands of feet deep in the ocean looking for something the size of a car. And that’s if it’s even still in 1 piece.

My moneys on it never being found.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Even on some land structures that we have built for the last half a century some parts of it now require 100% weld testing. Either mag particle, dye penetration test, or xray.

Doesn't sound like they were big into testing stuff even if the design was top notch.

Of course I can be built the most redneck and rigged thing here at the house. If I charged people to use it I'd be shut down in a hurry and be liable for any issues.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

Also, stupid shit like this stunt is not a new thing:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9b/43/2b/9b432bdee81937874e522d5995c1d54a--famous-waterfalls-steel-barrel.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wnmk4e1m3QQ/maxresdefault.jpg

And people should continue to be free to do stupid shit.  Even if they want to try to dive to the titanic.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It’s one thing to make fun of somebody who is the victim of misfortune and that doesn’t often happen.  

It’s another thing to make fun of people who reap their own misfortune whether through hubris (ceo guy) or willful ignorance (the rich people).  The only person involved who likely shares no fault is the 19 year old son - I was pretty dumb at 19 and if I was raised as a rich kid I’d also probably go along with anything my dad told me.  

Additionally, I believe it’s human nature to view with disdain people who achieve things without putting in the effort.  Like rich people who climb Mt Everest when they hire sherpas to carry their gear, the rich kid in high school who’s parents bought him a $$$$ car, or the worthless guy at work who got the job due to nepotism.  

You wouldn’t be complaining if we were laughing at the Russian guy who stuck his arm in a bear cage and the bear ripped his arm off.  

View Quote

I think we're at a point in society where the friction between regular people and the ultra wealthy is fostering genuine hate.  And I don't think it's unjustified.

Why would the average man mourn the death of a billionaire taking a frivolous expensive trip and having the hubris to ignore the risks?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Search area twice the size of the state of Connecticut. Thousands of feet deep in the ocean looking for something the size of a car. And that’s if it’s even still in 1 piece.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safe thread.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don’t blame them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The old people on my Facebook feed getting upset about the memes is pretty humorous

I don’t blame them.

I agree.

I wonder if he'd find it humorous if one of those aboard were a friend or loved one?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I know most of us feel bad about 4 people dying in that machine. But is there anyone who feels bad for Cockton Rush(ceo oceangate)? I for one do not.
View Quote

It’s difficult to.
His arrogance and ego likely killed 4 other people.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#41]
I took a moment this morning to think about the 5 souls that ran out of time sometime this morning. Regardless of anything else I wish them a swift painless journey to the next stage awaiting them.

For the families I share their sorrow having lost to many family members.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Even on some land structures that we have built for the last half a century some parts of it now require 100% weld testing. Either mag particle, dye penetration test, or xray.

Doesn't sound like they were big into testing stuff even if the design was top notch.
View Quote

I think the consensus was the design was fairly sound but they were highly averse to testing it, so much so they fired the guy that said they should test it.

The confidence from the 'successful' prior sorties probably only made things worse, despite the obvious fact they had - from the beginning - serious issues with comms. On a vessel dependent on reliable comms.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I thought they tracked this thing from the surface with side scan sonar completely through the mission. That’s how they let the crew know where to drive the thing to end up at the right spot.

I keep hearing they lost comms with the sub but no one brings up the side scan tracking.

Even with no comms they should know exactly where it is via the side scan sonar tracking.

If the ship lost the tracking via sonar AND the comms at the same time then it likely imploded.

What an I missing here?
View Quote

This is what I've been thinking all along. And honestly, they probably would have "heard" the implosion on sonar too, right? I'm also wondering if their sonar could have tracked the titanium pieces floating (rapidly, I would assume) to the bottom after the implosion. It will be interesting to see what data comes out of the mothership once this is all over and someone investigates.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Of course I can be built the most redneck and rigged thing here at the house. If I charged people to use it I'd be shut down in a hurry and be liable for any issues.
View Quote

There is an assumption that the people in the tube didn’t know how it was built.  

Maybe they did.  And maybe the CEO going calmed their nerves.

Who knows?  No one now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I can get past the use of a gaming controller and maybe even the shitty exterior exposed wire looms.

But I can't understand the use of what looks like tiny 3/8" cap bolts, the spacing of the bolts and the extremely tiny O ring used on the nose hatch.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395220/Screenshot_20230622-042919_png-2860000.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395220/Screenshot_20230622-042944_png-2860001.JPG
View Quote

As far as the bolts, the pressure is pushing in on the shell, not out.  They are just needed to hold it in place.  You would want the smallest o ring possible, it is the most likely point of failure on that part, and by far the piece least able to withstand the pressure.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
See this is why they don't let the grab assin booger eaters from the Army run reactors anymore.

They tried it, it ended badly.

You navy types kinda made a shit show out of TMI but still...nobody got pinned to the ceiling, so you've got that going for you.
View Quote

I'm Nuke Waste from the '80s...nice reference.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No one has any idea, really.  

As any diver or firefighter knows from experience, breathing rates will be a significant factor ...and the breathing rates of untrained passengers under stress are likely to adversely impact their supply significantly.  I'm also skeptical of the company's 96-hour estimate of supply/scrubbing, but even assuming it is a fair estimate for 5 people, I believe the stress would have pushed them to the limit already, assuming, of course, they did not perish in a fire or due to catastrophic structural failure, which I think is more likely.
View Quote

This is spot on! Respiration rates change significantly when a shit ton of stress and fear is thrown into the equation!
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trieste_

These things no longer have a "dump ballast, float to surface" option?
View Quote

The Titan was not designed to do anything other than crush five people at depth.

There were tons of experts that warned the moron CEO his submersible design needed extensive testing, and he was like, “fuck spending that kind of money, it’ll be fine.”

Now he’s dead. ETA: along with the other four he swindled into a watery grave.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#49]
How many millions of dollars of tax payer's money has been spent trying to rescue these morons?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't blame them.

This is where I'm at.

If we can't enjoy a little schadenfreude over this level of moronic hubris, then when do we get to?
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top