Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ugh.

Last winter I took two of my kids ~400' into a local cave. It increasingly looks like I put more thought for safety and contingencies into that day than they put into this 13000' descent to the ocean floor.

View Quote

Come to find out, it was riddled with issues and safety concerns

https://www.foxnews.com/us/missing-titanic-sub-did-not-perform-well-says-veteran-explorer-nixed-documentary-over-safety-concerns

https://www.foxnews.com/us/previous-passenger-titanic-tourist-submarine-describes-safety-concerns-complaints-hell-down-there
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Rush, who is lost on the vessel, is seen telling Estrada - who filmed the video and posted it on YouTube last year - about the seven-inch thick acrylic window on the front of the Titan to give those inside a view of the famous wreckage that lies 12,500 feet below the ocean surface.

He explains that the window gets 'squeezed' by the water pressure as it descends, and that it gives a 'warning' if its going to 'fail'.

Experts have said a structural failure is one of the possible fates suffered by the Titan, which set off on Sunday morning and lost contact with its mother ship after just 105 minutes into the two-hour descent to the Titanic wreckage.

Some fear this is likely amid reports that the deep-sea vessel did not meet the necessary safety standards to dive that deep, with Rush admitting in the clip himself that he has 'broken some rules to make this'.

The water pressure at the wreck site of the famous ocean liner is nearly 6,000 psi (pounds per square inch) - which means a weight equivalent to around two tons is exerted on any object at that depth.

Any vessel not able to withstand the pressure would be crushed, allowing water to flood inside. No human could survive such pressure without the protection of a submersible such as the Titan - and would be killed in such an event.

Despite the risks of entering such an inhospitable environment, Rush appears very confident in his invention in the clip, that has emerged on TikTok.

'It’s acrylic – plexiglass,' Rush tells Estrada after being asked what the window mounted at the front of the Titan vessel is made of.

'It is seven inches thick and weighs about 80lbs. And when we go to the Titanic, it will squeeze in about three-quarters of an inch and just deforms,' he explains.

'And acrylic is great because before it cracks or fails, it starts to crackle so you get a huge warning if it’s going to fail.'

More
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well, what’s your answer?
View Quote

It's pretty simple, I didn't wish them dead either.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Im not a marine architect, but I have rebuilt a few hulls in my time and know FRP pretty well.

The issue I see is that there would be no way for that ring to have a perfectly evenly distributed amount of sealer/bonding agent between itself and the CF tube.

On the surface of the water that would not be a problem at all. but when you get to the depths of the titanic, with those pressures involved and the temperature is around 33deg.

I honestly don't understand why they didn't just make it all out of Stainless Steel or Iron, I mean who Gives a shit how much it weighs.

Or even better, why not all out of CF
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really would like to know what bonding agent they used for the Ti ring to the CF tube. I bet they used plexus
I wouldn't be surprised if they used 3M 5200.

lmao...now that would be funny

It definitely looked like some kind of fuzor or seam sealer type of product

Im not a marine architect, but I have rebuilt a few hulls in my time and know FRP pretty well.

The issue I see is that there would be no way for that ring to have a perfectly evenly distributed amount of sealer/bonding agent between itself and the CF tube.

On the surface of the water that would not be a problem at all. but when you get to the depths of the titanic, with those pressures involved and the temperature is around 33deg.

I honestly don't understand why they didn't just make it all out of Stainless Steel or Iron, I mean who Gives a shit how much it weighs.

Or even better, why not all out of CF

So they could be inspirational and innovative and, most likely, save money
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't hate anyone but I definitely think it's extra stupid to be that rich and still cut corners on a fucking submarine. Then the passengers were too stupid to look into the subs construction and learn about it before going down there
View Quote

Once they saw the ozark trail seating pads and the xbox controller that should have been enough.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I saw an interview on BBC a couple days ago where the "expert" being interviewed said the 96-hour deadline came from a standard in maritime vessels that standardized having 96-hours worth of supplies for life support.

This is coming just from an interview I watched, and obviously doesn't mean that this vessel adhered to the "standard".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
People bought into the CEO's bs 90hr media claim.

The 96-hour figure was the best available information. It increasingly looks like garbage, but we simply didn't know that at the time - and honestly, we still don't, in any ultimate sense. Nobody has yet to explain where the 96 hour figure came from.

I saw an interview on BBC a couple days ago where the "expert" being interviewed said the 96-hour deadline came from a standard in maritime vessels that standardized having 96-hours worth of supplies for life support.

This is coming just from an interview I watched, and obviously doesn't mean that this vessel adhered to the "standard".

Air on manual valve was probably a tape sharpie marked placard that read 1 turn for 96 hours, 2 turns for 24 hours...
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Titan II. They started booking at 9am this morning on kickstarter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the sub company is still booking trips on the Titan?

Titan II. They started booking at 9am this morning on kickstarter

They've made some technical improvements, including an extra bead of silicone around the viewport.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

this

seen the memes...chortled a bit here and there

whats fucking sickening in (mainly the left) celebrating their deaths as "who cares if a billionaire dies--fuck em"
disgusting as its coming from a bunch of lazy fucks that demand the "rich" pay for all their laziness and debauchery.
View Quote

What's disgusting is the amount of resources and money wasted. Hope their estates get hit with full bill. The average US Citizen will be bankrupted by a life flight ride to their nearest ER when they get t-boned by a drunk illegal.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How many successful missions did this sub have prior?
View Quote

I read over 40 dives, not sure how deep they all were though but we know it had made several trips to the Titanic before.

This was the 4th dive of this trip I believe. Imagine being one of the passengers who rode it the day before the incident?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#11]
This thread moves fast for nothing happening
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/22/11/72410621-12222279-image-a-13_1687429025732.jpg

Rush, who is lost on the vessel, is seen telling Estrada - who filmed the video and posted it on YouTube last year - about the seven-inch thick acrylic window on the front of the Titan to give those inside a view of the famous wreckage that lies 12,500 feet below the ocean surface.

He explains that the window gets 'squeezed' by the water pressure as it descends, and that it gives a 'warning' if its going to 'fail'.

Experts have said a structural failure is one of the possible fates suffered by the Titan, which set off on Sunday morning and lost contact with its mother ship after just 105 minutes into the two-hour descent to the Titanic wreckage.

Some fear this is likely amid reports that the deep-sea vessel did not meet the necessary safety standards to dive that deep, with Rush admitting in the clip himself that he has 'broken some rules to make this'.

The water pressure at the wreck site of the famous ocean liner is nearly 6,000 psi (pounds per square inch) - which means a weight equivalent to around two tons is exerted on any object at that depth.

Any vessel not able to withstand the pressure would be crushed, allowing water to flood inside. No human could survive such pressure without the protection of a submersible such as the Titan - and would be killed in such an event.

Despite the risks of entering such an inhospitable environment, Rush appears very confident in his invention in the clip, that has emerged on TikTok.

'It’s acrylic – plexiglass,' Rush tells Estrada after being asked what the window mounted at the front of the Titan vessel is made of.

'It is seven inches thick and weighs about 80lbs. And when we go to the Titanic, it will squeeze in about three-quarters of an inch and just deforms,' he explains.

'And acrylic is great because before it cracks or fails, it starts to crackle so you get a huge warning if it’s going to fail.'

More
View Quote

After watching it yesterday, I will never forget the word "crackle"
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's pretty simple, I didn't wish them dead either.
View Quote

You’re a better person than most here, then.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

honestly i have little compassion for openly going into harms way in a device obviously not made to survive. i put this right up there with dudes in a wingsuit hitting a mountain. sad about any loss of life, but aself created problem that was 100% avoidable. i have no problem with mocking stupidity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t blame them.
The lack of basic human decency on display is pretty disgusting. It speaks volumes about the fabric of society.

honestly i have little compassion for openly going into harms way in a device obviously not made to survive. i put this right up there with dudes in a wingsuit hitting a mountain. sad about any loss of life, but aself created problem that was 100% avoidable. i have no problem with mocking stupidity.

I’m glad others understand this.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Once they saw the ozark trail seating pads and the xbox controller that should have been enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't hate anyone but I definitely think it's extra stupid to be that rich and still cut corners on a fucking submarine. Then the passengers were too stupid to look into the subs construction and learn about it before going down there

Hypothetically, if I was in the position to be a passenger, I'd not only watch all the videos available of the construction, but I'd consult some ex mil 50 yr old white guys about it as well. I'd want to see certs and tests and all sorts of shit before I ever gave the ceo a dime.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think it says more about the fabric of society that some egotistical woke rich dude thought his money made him smarter than the experts he mocked for their race and age and it resulted in his demise aboard a shoddily built death machine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t blame them.
The lack of basic human decency on display is pretty disgusting. It speaks volumes about the fabric of society.

I think it says more about the fabric of society that some egotistical woke rich dude thought his money made him smarter than the experts he mocked for their race and age and it resulted in his demise aboard a shoddily built death machine.

That's still just one guy going off the rails.  The real comment on society came when paying passengers boarded that piece of crap of their own free will.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OceanGate could face a FEDERAL criminal probe
View Quote

More dailymail clickbait.

Yeah, they *could* face a federal probe. They *could* face a lot of things. What they'll most likely face is the reality that the company essentially ceases to exist with their founder and CEO pancaked at the bottom of the sea.

Some .fed agency may demand to see a bunch of records that may not even exist and whoever's left of the company will do what he has to do in order to comply, but it'll be halfhearted because he's more busy polishing his resume and looking for a new job. And if charges are warranted, it's most likely that most charges would be levied at the CEO, who isn't exactly around to answer them anymore.

I realize that the company is legally set up to continue after his death, I own a couple of small businesses and get that, but realistically, he was the company, and its future existence in any capacity is really only a matter of momentum and a question of how many assets can be seized, by who, before it rolls to a stop.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#18]
If the main window is i deed acrylic and not polycarbonate, that right there leads to questions.

Acrylic, may be optically more clear, there is a reason aircraft use polycarbonate. Acrylic doesn’t crackle as the idiot CEO says, it shatters like glass.

There’s a good reason it’s not allowed to be used in race vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I saw a video interview w/ a passenger from last year and he explained how there was 7 different system that could get it back to the surface. Everything from ballast, to being able to detach the legs. Also was an automated one that somehow would trigger even if all the occupants were unconsicous.

So it seems like they all failed, it got stuck or imploded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trieste_

These things no longer have a "dump ballast, float to surface" option?

I saw a video interview w/ a passenger from last year and he explained how there was 7 different system that could get it back to the surface. Everything from ballast, to being able to detach the legs. Also was an automated one that somehow would trigger even if all the occupants were unconsicous.

So it seems like they all failed, it got stuck or imploded.

And one of the features was dissolvable glue that let go at 16hrs dropping the ballast.

Guess that failed to work (or it imploded)
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't disagree with what you're saying.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#21]

A door with signage removed is seen at Ocean Gate Headquarters at the Waterfront Building within the Port of Everett complex in Everett, Washington.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anybody float the theory that the 5 rich guys wanted to disappear and this was a great cover story to sink any effort to look for their actual whereabouts?
View Quote

Is that more or less probable than the Two Mile Low Club gay orgy?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/22/11/72410621-12222279-image-a-13_1687429025732.jpg

More
View Quote

Neat. He's wearing a safety helmet, so you know Safety is Job #1.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Everything about the vessel tells you he gave zero shits about his clients.  They were simply the money sponges to squeeze to pay for his tremendous achievement of turning a gravesite into a tourist attraction.
View Quote

A lesson I learned from the owner of a company I worked for a while back: You can tell how much a business values its customers by looking at their bathrooms.  
The skipper here had the customers on a bucket with ziplock baggies.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's been a healthy mix of experts explaining the risks and modes of failure, some speculation, some hilarious memes, a dash of envy and an increasing devolution into pearl clutching about the sanctity of life.

Thread will end soon but I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I had that same sub when I was a kid. It also didn't survive.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#27]
One thing we know for certain about this incident, the CEO was a fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
People bought into the CEO's bs 90hr media claim.

The 96-hour figure was the best available information. It increasingly looks like garbage, but we simply didn't know that at the time - and honestly, we still don't, in any ultimate sense. Nobody has yet to explain where the 96 hour figure came from.

Exactly! If this sub had adhered to the "standard" 5 people would be on their way back to Newfoundland intact and I would still have no idea that expeditions like this were going on
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think - like aviation - when you get a sudden loss of comms and no sign of anything, it's extremely unlikely there are any survivors. I agree with the poster that stated the support vessel was likely aware there was a catastrophic event, but did not want to say so.
View Quote

There is a pretty reliable Instagram out there who had posted that sonar had led them to believe it imploded long ago. CognitveMarine on IG
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

One of my character shortcomings as a person who likes math and has spent his life reading terribly written hit-pieces about my favorite hobby, is that if you locked me in a room with someone who wrote like that, terrible things would happen.

6,000 psi is not 'two tons'. It's three tons of pressure per square inch. And the 6,000 psi figure isn't even right. It's more like ~5,500 psi.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Everything about the vessel tells you he gave zero shits about his clients.  They were simply the money sponges to squeeze to pay for his tremendous achievement of turning a gravesite into a tourist attraction.
View Quote

I'm not sure the money was the real incentive.  I think he was an egomaniac with a cool new toy and wanted to show it off.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How do you end up with 2?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but do you have 2 ham licenses?
How do you end up with 2?

1 is ham
1 is bologna
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

50% asking questions / posting info already answered
14% “why are we wasting money on these rich idiots”
5% new memes
30% memes that were already posted
1% new/useful information
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Exactly. They STILL have to get the hatch open so the crew can get oxygen. Imagine being a rescuer watching the crew through the glass as they die......
View Quote

Its acrylic.  High speed steel bit will go through it like it is butter.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

More
View Quote

acrylic is not a good material choice, a clear polycarbonate is much stronger
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#36]
There are a ton of similarities between the dangers and difficulties of surviving in space and surviving in deep sea. Getting to deep sea is logistically easier, which results in people taking a tragically relaxed view of those dangers and difficulties.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

One of my character shortcomings as a person who likes math and has spent his life reading terribly written hit-pieces about my favorite hobby, is that if you locked me in a room with someone who wrote like that, terrible things would happen.

6,000 psi is not 'two tons'. It's three tons of pressure per square inch. And the 6,000 psi figure isn't even right. It's more like ~5,500 psi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some twit on one of the MSM news channels described it as something like "the weight of three Empire State Buildings on your chest."
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If the main window is i deed acrylic and not polycarbonate, that right there leads to questions.

Acrylic, may be optically more clear, there is a reason aircraft use polycarbonate. Acrylic doesn’t crackle as the idiot CEO says, it shatters like glass.

There’s a good reason it’s not allowed to be used in race vehicles.
View Quote

It's used on every deep dive submersible.  It's not a secret or a cheap alternative. It's the standard for deep dive subs
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

50% asking questions / posting info already answered
14% “why are we wasting money on these rich idiots”
5% new memes
30% memes that were already posted
1% new/useful information
View Quote

Accurate.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

acrylic is not a good material choice, a clear polycarbonate is much stronger
View Quote

But which one is cheaper?  That was the driving factor for the materials that went into this sub.  Whatever the CEO and diversity hires happened to see at the biglots open box rack.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Why are you trying to derail this thread with this?
It has zero relevance to the topic of this thread.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Some twit on one of the MSM news channels described it as something like "the weight of three Empire State Buildings on your chest."
View Quote
In reality it's only 11 Rosie O'Donnels
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Single point of failure is obviously the operator. Anybody else on board know how to operate what they do have? I don't think so. Guessing on a naval sub if a number of crew suddenly died due to a heart attack at once or whatever they could still operate the sub.

Multiple stories of a pilot of a plane being incapacitated and the plane landing tith the co pilot and flight engineer or whoever at the controls. Even if large parts of the plane were no longer working. All crew to die would be pretty bad even if the plane was in good shape.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, but they’re looking for the Chrysler Norseman , so that’s different….
View Quote

Like the Titantic, the Andrea Doria is crumbling quickly too. I believe most of the deaths on the wreck were cause by entanglements IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How do you feel if a boat full of refugees capsizes and the refugees drown? How does most of this website feel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

seen the memes...chortled a bit here and there

whats fucking sickening in (mainly the left) celebrating their deaths as "who cares if a billionaire dies--fuck em"
disgusting as its coming from a bunch of lazy fucks that demand the "rich" pay for all their laziness and debauchery.

How do you feel if a boat full of refugees capsizes and the refugees drown? How does most of this website feel?

Huge difference.  A boat full of refugees capsizing and drowning is extremely sad.  I'd bet most of them had no illusions that their trip would be a sure thing.  They're doing it because the risk was greater in the place they were leaving would kill them for their beliefs or ethnicity than rolling the dice on a rickety old fishing boat.  "I might die if I ride this shitty boat, but I'll DEFINITELY die if I DON'T get on this shitty boat."  They are taking the best calculated risk they know how, and praying that cobbled mess gets them to freedom.  It's doing their level best and praying that God handles the rest.

A Harbor Freight submarine full of cheapskate hubris-filled thrill-seekers who clearly HAD the resources to do the best humanly possible, yet CHOSE NOT TO, is another matter entirely.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a similar reaction and I hate math.  "3 tons... 3 tons per square freaking inch you dofus".  I guess AI didn't write that one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In reality it's only 11 Rosie O'Donnels
View Quote

It the weight under the bed legs during a midcap menage a trois.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
USS Bedford has been dispatched to force the sub to the surface.
View Quote

If he fires one, I'll fire one!
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And one of the features was dissolvable glue that let go at 16hrs dropping the ballast.

Guess that failed to work (or it imploded)
View Quote

The fact that a mechanical failsafe didn't send it bobbing back to the surface after 20-24 hours, tops, is hard to ignore.
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top