Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I mean, there has been a debris field down there for the better part of 111 years.  And that debris field is "near" Titanic.  Actually, it is Titanic.

In all seriousness though, I think that's probably a wrap on this.  If they put out a release that says they found a debris field, that's the sub.  It imploded.

I said several pages back that if it imploded, the debris would be obvious to an ROV.  It would quite literally stick out like a sore thumb, as the area is already well-mapped and titanium, computer parts, and assorted other modern non-rusty components were going to always be an anomaly in the area.

With the news that the thing the banging on the audio was background noise, that they found this supposed debris field, that they lost contact so early on, etc., I think it's definitely reasonable to conclude at this point that it imploded on the way down, early into the mission.  Very sad outcome, but not an unexpected one.  At least it was probably quick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, there has been a debris field down there for the better part of 111 years.  And that debris field is "near" Titanic.  Actually, it is Titanic.

In all seriousness though, I think that's probably a wrap on this.  If they put out a release that says they found a debris field, that's the sub.  It imploded.

I said several pages back that if it imploded, the debris would be obvious to an ROV.  It would quite literally stick out like a sore thumb, as the area is already well-mapped and titanium, computer parts, and assorted other modern non-rusty components were going to always be an anomaly in the area.

With the news that the thing the banging on the audio was background noise, that they found this supposed debris field, that they lost contact so early on, etc., I think it's definitely reasonable to conclude at this point that it imploded on the way down, early into the mission.  Very sad outcome, but not an unexpected one.  At least it was probably quick.

One minor curiosity left for me: what is the timing of the distress signal that the mothership received?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They probably lost comms the second it imploded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm honestly surprised they found debris, I thought the seafloor would be too big for that.

Seems the Billionaires elected to continue to the site even after losing comms.

"Get-there-itis"

Would they have found enough material to call a "debris field" if the implosion hadn't occurred near the sea floor?

When they lost comms, they had at least 15-20 minutes left in their descent. I would think that at that point, the pieces would drift and be too scattered to find
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Honestly I figured it was probably noise from the oil fields a couple hundred miles away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 'banging' detected by rescuers in the hunt for the missing Titan submarine appears to have been just "background ocean noise", it is revealed as the craft passes the crucial 96-hour oxygen point on Thursday.

The U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral leading the response to the dissapearance of the submersible Titan off the wreckage of the RMS Titanic in the northwest Atlantic has dashed the hopes of many that the detection of a banging noice in the sea may lead rescuers to the stricken craft.

Speaking to Britain's Sky News television channel, Rear Admiral John Mauger said that while the noises detected were still being analysed, it appeared that what had previously been characterised by banging as some was actually "background ocean noise". The search was ongoing despite the analysis, the officer said, and that he was in contact with the families of those onboard.
Honestly I figured it was probably noise from the oil fields a couple hundred miles away.

The thing I read/heard was banging every 30 minutes.  How often does a new drill stem get entered on a drilling rig in operation?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not a safe thread anymore.
View Quote

Safe to say they are dead
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure this is a nationwide meme

from the NH subreddit

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Safe to say they are dead
View Quote

Yep, died on the day before the story broke, just as many here speculated.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s not good, but definitely better than sitting in that thing for four days going mad and slowly suffocating
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Debris field?

I suspect the lithium batteries caused this
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#11]
What was the sub built out of besides carbon fiber ? High strength steel etc ?  What does the debris field consist of?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#12]
If this turns out to be exactly where they thought It was, then it imploded on Sunday, and they have known all this time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#13]
If the CG stated they found a debris field then obviously it was not what was already there.

Our CG know the difference between old and new trash.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Would they have found enough material to call a "debris field" if the implosion hadn't occurred near the sea floor?

When they lost comms, they had at least 15-20 minutes left in their descent. I would think that at that point, the pieces would drift and be too scattered to find
View Quote

Depending on the descent rate they were probably very close to the Titanic. The lower it goes, the slower it goes. 15-20 minutes away from the target could have it less than 1000 yards away from it.
The denser the water the slower the sink rate.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
The last sound they heard was "crackle".
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Debris field?

I suspect the lithium batteries caused this
View Quote

Bold of you to assume the CEO ponied up for lithium.  Lead batteries are so much cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What was the sub built out of besides carbon fiber ? High strength steel etc ?  What does the debris field consist of?
View Quote

Debris
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If this turns out to be exactly where they thought It was, then it imploded on Sunday, and they have known all this time.
View Quote

Yep

OceanGate knew it was dieseled when it happened. They heard it no doubt.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like Bruce Willis they've been dead this whole time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If the CG stated they found a debris field then obviously it was not what was already there.

Our CG know the difference between old and new trash.
View Quote

Once they recognize it then they will need time top notify the families first.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah.

Again, what was known to the mother ship in real time will be fascinating. Everything after Sunday afternoon is just drama. *GOOD* drama, but drama.

Regardless of all that, I'm glad some of our assets got some real-world training and it was awesome to see private exploration companies show up to help. Good job by everyone involved.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#22]
[tweet]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's the consevative's handicap. The left wil accepept ANY incremantal gain when a conservative is only happy with perfection.  
View Quote

This may be the most intelligent thing I’ve ever read on arfcom.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#24]

sorry for whatever reason the tweet wouldnt show for me so i tried to fix it and then it was working.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What are the costs to do this in a vehicle carries an independent 4000m classification certification?  Perhaps an order of magnitude greater on a per-passenger basis?

This guy is trying to open up deepwater exploration at a more achievable price, and at the same time, have enough margin so the revenue goes to fund the ocean research efforts of others.  There are going to be a lot of trade-offs in such an endeavor.  

The pushback on his comments about looking for younger engineering teams?  Look, that is a common characteristic of agile design environments of small scale companies.  A number of reasons for that, and virtually none of them for the reasons spouted by armchair pontiffs.

Everything is tug of war between money, time and quality.

It's an experimental vehicle.  Clients know this.  This company may very well be the only company offering such a thing.  A venture down there in a classed-vessel may not even be purchasable - maybe through hard fought negotiation, larger sums of money, and so forth, but has anyone ever done that?
View Quote

There used to be another company that did this, iirc.  Probably 15 years ago, maybe more.  I think the rate back then was $60k a person, but I can't remember all the details, or why that company got out of the business of doing it.

My issue with the characterization of the clients as complete dumbasses in all of this is along the lines of what you're saying: there's no one else offering this.  People have wanted to dive this wreck for a long time, and few have stepped to the plate to offer it.  I'm sure calls are are made now and then to places like Woods Hole and other agencies who have deep-water submersibles capable of reaching Titanic and the response is typically "we don't do tourism" or "we're not for hire" or "we only do scientific and academic research".  And yeah, billionaires could maybe afford to buy their own subs, lease their own ships and crews, etc. to do it, but like most others, they try to rely on people who have been working on the problem for a while to make the trip work.  Oceangate has presented itself as a well-run, professional expedition team and managed to cover up many of it's shortcomings until now.

I think that people tend to get more desperate and more accepting of risk of other options aren't there/made available.  Those with unlimited cash, however, I can see the point in deprecating a bit over the fact they could literally have the best stuff in the world made available to them through purchase and it would never touch their bottom lines.  I do think that the mockery that has been made of them and their deaths is over the top though.  These guys were just trying to fulfill a lifelong dream, in one of the most inhospitable environments on earth.  They shouldn't be slated over that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd venture a guess that they were notified hours ago.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe we leave Titanic alone now? That ship claimed enough lives.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Ocean gate website has been nuked. Atleast for me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

The families already knew the fate. OceanGate knew also and they wasted millions of taxpayer dollars searching for another of the Titanic’s ghosts.

That propane tank didn’t failed quietly.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm honestly surprised they found debris, I thought the seafloor would be too big for that.

Seems the Billionaires elected to continue to the site even after losing comms.

"Get-there-itis"

Not necessarily.  The complete, intact sub has a certain amount of buoyancy, even in descent.  Post implosion, many smaller pieces, now without the buoyancy of the void inside the hull, would descend exponentially faster.  The titanium end caps, cell phones, monitors, etc, would head for the bottom pretty quick with a LOT less time for current drift.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The last sound they heard was "crackle".
View Quote

Or maybe the CEO saying "Oh shit."
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The thing I read/heard was banging every 30 minutes.  How often does a new drill stem get entered on a drilling rig in operation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 'banging' detected by rescuers in the hunt for the missing Titan submarine appears to have been just "background ocean noise", it is revealed as the craft passes the crucial 96-hour oxygen point on Thursday.

The U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral leading the response to the dissapearance of the submersible Titan off the wreckage of the RMS Titanic in the northwest Atlantic has dashed the hopes of many that the detection of a banging noice in the sea may lead rescuers to the stricken craft.

Speaking to Britain's Sky News television channel, Rear Admiral John Mauger said that while the noises detected were still being analysed, it appeared that what had previously been characterised by banging as some was actually "background ocean noise". The search was ongoing despite the analysis, the officer said, and that he was in contact with the families of those onboard.

There's a lot more other stuff happening that just the drill string, and it doesn't have to be from the same location either. The same thing happened during the Thresher hunt (noises confused for distress signals) and the 30 minute claim struck me as dubious.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah.

Again, what was known to the mother ship in real time will be fascinating. Everything after Sunday afternoon is just drama. *GOOD* drama, but drama.

Regardless of all that, I'm glad some of our assets got some real-world training and it was awesome to see private exploration companies show up to help. Good job by everyone involved.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.

Yep, top notch work. Great job everybody, we really came together as a team.

Why don't we take 5? Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep

OceanGate knew it was dieseled when it happened. They heard it no doubt.
View Quote

And that deserves criminal investigation.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Maybe we leave Titanic alone now? That ship claimed enough lives.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ocean gate website has been nuked. Atleast for me.
View Quote

Yep it's gone LOL
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My issue with the characterization of the clients as complete dumbasses in all of this
View Quote

You definitely have a unique stance/background from which to offer a unique perspective on this.

I hope someone takes what is being learned from this and makes a better process and this becomes a reality. Sub diving isn't for me (snorkeling is my depth limit) but it's neat to think this could one day be a reality.

Lots of 'what not to do' has been learned this week. I bet there are companies making plans right now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
[tweet]
View Quote
This person doesn't understand that the news they are dead isn't devastating to the Titan crew.  They already knew.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably not "known", but "assumed" or "highly suspected".  It's not the kind of stuff you can take to the public without having irrefutable evidence of what happened.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

One minor curiosity left for me: what is the timing of the distress signal that the mothership received?
View Quote

That is something I'd like them to explain at the press conference if they indeed confirm they found wreckage.  

I think a lot of information during this process was intentionally withheld.  And like most somewhat fast-moving news stories with little information, the information that does get out can be inaccurate.

Maybe what they received wasn't a distress signal, or maybe there was nothing.

This is going to be a months-long thing I think, and I'm sure there will be a US-led investigation into the company.  A lot of information about this is going to come out, sooner or later.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This person doesn't understand that the news they are dead isn't devastating to the Titan crew.  They already knew.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[tweet]

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think that people tend to get more desperate and more accepting of risk of other options aren't there/made available.  Those with unlimited cash, however, I can see the point in deprecating a bit over the fact they could literally have the best stuff in the world made available to them through purchase and it would never touch their bottom lines.  I do think that the mockery that has been made of them and their deaths is over the top though.  These guys were just trying to fulfill a lifelong dream, in one of the most inhospitable environments on earth.  They shouldn't be slated over that.
View Quote

This site makes fun of darwin award winners.  Anyone who would go 12K deep and depend on a bluetooth game controller is a darwin award candidate. The woke CEO is the icing on the cake.  Besides the 19 year old I feel sorry for none of them.  And because of the wokeness I hope they get mocked for years.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Oceangate website

https://oceangate.com/
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#44]
So this CEO guy lied about Boeing, University of Wash, NASA having to do with this sub

This guy is a shyster
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Oceangate website

View Quote

It’s nuked for me
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Oceangate website

View Quote

Black like inky depths.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Imagine some smarmy billionaire CEO saying "Remember when I said this was dangerous folks?" as the very last thing you heard.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There used to be another company that did this, iirc.  Probably 15 years ago, maybe more.  I think the rate back then was $60k a person, but I can't remember all the details, or why that company got out of the business of doing it.

My issue with the characterization of the clients as complete dumbasses in all of this is along the lines of what you're saying: there's no one else offering this.  People have wanted to dive this wreck for a long time, and few have stepped to the plate to offer it.  I'm sure calls are are made now and then to places like Woods Hole and other agencies who have deep-water submersibles capable of reaching Titanic and the response is typically "we don't do tourism" or "we're not for hire" or "we only do scientific and academic research".  And yeah, billionaires could maybe afford to buy their own subs, lease their own ships and crews, etc. to do it, but like most others, they try to rely on people who have been working on the problem for a while to make the trip work.  Oceangate has presented itself as a well-run, professional expedition team and managed to cover up many of it's shortcomings until now.

View Quote

Mount Everest is littered with dead climbers trying to achieve their lifelong dream. Part of the thrill is cheating death. If Oceangate goes bankrupt because of this, another company will step up to meet the demand because it will always be there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So this CEO guy lied about Boeing, University of Wash, NASA having to do with this sub

This guy WAS is a shyster
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It’s nuked for me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oceangate website

It’s nuked for me

It imploded
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top