Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/3/2023 1:35:38 AM EDT
Toyota Calls On Science To Tell EV-Only Extremists That They’re Wrong

Automotive News writes that this pitch was first made at the World Economic Forum in Davos and more recently, Pratt repeated the message from Tokyo, in a bid to offer some context to Toyota’s long-term strategy.

"Time will show that our point of view is actually the correct one," Pratt said in Tokyo. "One way or the other, there will be a diversity of powertrains used throughout the world."

This statement comes as several car brands pledged to go full-electric at some point in the future, with Honda, Acura, Cadillac, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, and more saying they’ll do the best they can to become carbon neutral in this century.

By contrast, Toyota wants to sell around 5.5 million internal combustion-engined and plug-in hybrid cars per year from 2030, as well as 3.5 million EVs, including 1 million Lexus-branded cars.

So Toyota isn’t anti-EV, but it believes in a diversified approach and it’s predicting a global shortage of lithium, which is the most important material used in today’s lithium-ion batteries found in pure EVs, hybrids, and plug-in hybrids.
View Quote

I think Toyota is on the right track here.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:38:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The eco-nazis don't care about actual science. All that matters to them is "science" that confirms their beliefs, even if some of those beliefs are contradictory.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:51:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuck ev’s
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:53:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Despite their shenanigans in Hawaii,  the Japs are actually pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:09:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

you mean the Germans?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:13:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

you mean the Germans?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you mean the Germans?

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:15:45 AM EDT
[#7]
What would the largest car manufacturer in the world know about this?  We should ask le mars man Elon instead.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:40:45 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a lot of blood & exploitation to get those rare earf minerals so the self-righteous leftists-eco-nazis of the First World can go green.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

you mean the Germans?
View Quote

"Don't mention the war!!"

From the British comedy thread
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:35:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Toyota is correct and I'm shocked they took this direction.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:41:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Seeing Toyota go this route is extremely interesting. Almost as if automotive engineers and supply chain guys know a thing or two.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:44:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Japan seems to be bucking the woke trend in general.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#13]
This is going to really fuck with the heads of the people on here who hate both science and EVs.  The sarcastic “trust the science” people.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:36:36 AM EDT
[#14]
GD: "Jokes on that dude, birds aren't real! Well, except for that penguin guy, maybe."
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:41:46 AM EDT
[#15]
The Yoda is correct.  I do believe that with battery tech improving that the majority of cars used the way that a typical American uses them can be EV, but not all.

The part that I am struggling with is with any kind of recreational vehicles, over the road, construction and farm vehicles.  It is just not practical to be an EV.

There is no solution for me to pull my 7000 pound race trailer 4 hours, set up camp in a remote field for the weekend and drive back 4 hours.  Even with the best battery tech available I could only go a hundred or so miles before having to recharge, then how do I recharge once I get there?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Yoda is correct.  I do believe that with battery tech improving that the majority of cars used the way that a typical American uses them can be EV, but not all.

The part that I am struggling with is with any kind of recreational vehicles, over the road, construction and farm vehicles.  It is just not practical to be an EV.

There is no solution for me to pull my 7000 pound race trailer 4 hours, set up camp in a remote field for the weekend and drive back 4 hours.  Even with the best battery tech available I could only go a hundred or so miles before having to recharge, then how do I recharge once I get there?
View Quote

You don't and I think that's ultimately the goal.. less human activity = less humans on earth.

“You really have to view it as a primitive, anti-human religion” – Alex Epstein on Tucker Carlson

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Electric Cars: Inconvenient Facts, Part One

Electric Cars: Inconvenient Facts, Part 2

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Now all they need to do is start cranking out more V8 engines and source their transmissions from ZF.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Just like when we added ethenol to the gas. It has added drastically more carbon to the environment over staying with pure gasoline.

A lot of people are richer now however.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#20]
YOU WANT BABY POLAR BEARS TO DIE!!!

MURDERER
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just like when we added ethenol to the gas. It has added drastically more carbon to the environment over staying with pure gasoline.

View Quote

This, EV’s are a money making scam.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Toyota was one of the first to introduce hybrids, they know a thing or two about batteries.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

You won't have to.
You will own nothing
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I burn tires as an equalizer.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

MURDERER
View Quote

Yes. I want a car powered by murdered baby polar bears.  Epic.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Toyota is great.  It's too bad they don't make an HD pickup.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#28]
The science is settled, therefore all conflicting data shall henceforth be known as "disinformation".  Please report any instances of disinformation to your local Division of Consolidated Truths so that violating parties may be re-educated.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Toyota is great.  It's too bad they don't make an HD pickup.
View Quote

It is too bad that they decided to get rid of their reliable V8.  Bad decision on their part.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

In time, the econauts will call for an embargo on Toyota. Just wait!
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#31]
So the scientists who is paid by the company says the company's business model is the best one?

Okay then
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a bonus, when leaks occur, they're more harmful because the ethanol serves as a cosolvent for products that otherwise have low solubility in water.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t think it will continue, they fired Toyoda because of this view
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The eco-nazis don't care about actual science. All that matters to them is "science" that confirms their beliefs, even if some of those beliefs are contradictory.
View Quote

Yeah.  Science is "science" only when it agrees with their beliefs.

Facts can be painful and invade their "safe spaces" so they prefer to go with what makes them feel good, whether it kills them or not.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Great Euronews article on lithium mining.  Cliff notes:  the process is incredibly toxic to the environment and endangers water sources.

Article link
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Many of these mental defects also believe in genocide and population reduction. To these nutters, this is just an added bonus.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

you mean the Germans?
View Quote

No, the Germans are no one's friend, esp in Europe.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

The solution is they don’t allow such activities / ice use in the future.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There's a lot of blood & exploitation to get those rare earf minerals so the self-righteous leftists-eco-nazis of the First World can go green.
View Quote

So true. The Eco-Leftists really don't give a crap about the global environment. They are about creating their own utopia at the expense of the rest of the world. They could care less if the third world is exploited for their benefit. Out of sight, out of mind.

"Most takes place in the so-called Lithium Triangle, high-up in the Andes, where the borders of Bolivia, Argentina, and Chile meet, and in China. Lithium brine recovery is a straightforward but time-consuming process."

https://www.sttsystems.com/industries/lithium-extraction/

Cobalt is a by-product and very toxic. Just the stuff China loves to exploit esp. on other people's soil.

"The DRC supplies about 70 percent of the world's Cobalt, but 80% of its industrial cobalt mines are owned or financed by Chinese companies. This dynamic has disproportionately favored China and has led to hostility among the Congolese government and its domestic mining companies."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/chemistry/cobalt-ore
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

you mean the Germans?
View Quote

Forget it, he’s rolling…
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So the scientists who is paid by the company says the company's business model is the best one?

Okay then
View Quote

Well perhaps they used the science to form their business model?  And Toyota being the pioneer in EV I think they would have the best science from wich to form a business model...

But maybe you are right and we should go all electric because Jo Xiden's science says so.  I wonder who pays for his science?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd rather go back to horses than EV tractors. EV Tractors will be so cost prohibitive I doubt most farmers could stay in business. I have no doubt this is the goal of many eco-nuts. The goal seems to be more about reducing food production at a time we should be finding ways to produce more food. I can see EVs in the cities but the further you get away from them the less they have a purpose. No, I don't advocate their use, period. The cities will become gigantic sink wells of Ozone pollution, a more dangerous eco problem. We are pushing a product but not even trying to build the grid network to support it. It is the typical approach of wackos. It is nothing but a patchwork of millions of bandaids. When it fails it will be stone age catastrophic.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Okay then
View Quote

Kind of like government paid for climate research at the University except the Toyota paid business analyst and sciences losses their job if they are wrong. The government scientists simply get more research grants to figure how to make freaks out of little boys.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#44]
live simply so that others may simply live.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#45]
PHEV make the most sense. I don't understand the push to dramatically change technology instead of doing the crawl, walk, run approach. Hybrids in commercial vehicles could dramatically reduce emissions when doing local deliveries and such, but when distance needs to be travelled or heavy loads moved you have the ICE engine to carry the load when the batteries wane. With large numbers of hybrids it would provide tons of data to properly engineer and design EVs if/when it is decided that is the best way to go. For a lot of people these systems make sense, and are proven technology with a solid backing of reliability. They can be scaled up. There is no reason why I can buy an EV work van, but can't buy a hybrid one. Same with pickups. Its an asinine overstep to go straight to EV when we don't have the battery technology to make it scalable for what we want to do, and we don't have the infrastructure to support mass conversion to EVs. Hybrids buy time to build out power plants and upgrade transmission and distribution infrastructure while slowly ramping up load on the grid. The 2030 or 2035 deadlines are stupid, as there isn't enough money in this country to do the necessary infrastructure upgrades to change all those vehicles, nevermind the fact we don't have the raw materials to build that many batteries. Crawl, walk, run.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FPNI. It's ideology, and trying to push for all the things the cult wants would cause massive harm - huge re-impoverishment of the poorest in the world, as something to just scratch the surface.

But Toyota is right. Hybrids and plug-in hybrids make much more sense right now. We simply do not have access to the natural resources necessary to replace all types of transportation with battery electric. Not. Even. Close.

Using smaller batteries combined with ICE power to travel further is going to make a TON more sense than huge batteries with hundreds of miles of range. Currently, I'm on the waitlist for a Rav4 Prime, which will probably come up for me in June or July. I'm not sure that I'll pull the trigger, though. It depends on trade-in value and interest on financing whatever is left. I might just keep my current vehicle, install the PO (Paid Off) feature and then save to put down on a second vehicle. I might have need of a second vehicle in a year or so anyway.

Quoted:
Fuck ev’s

Fuck ev's what?

Quoted:
Seeing Toyota go this route is extremely interesting. Almost as if automotive engineers and supply chain guys know a thing or two.

It was a few months ago now I read an article about Toyota's Chief Engineer talking about this very thing. He mentioned his wife has a Tesla, that it is massively heavy and has a huge battery pack capable of traveling over 300 miles on a charge... but she never drives more than about 30 miles per day. A plug-in hybrid would make a lot more sense. Enough efficient and cheaper driving for short-range and local trips, but the ability to rely on a stable and widely-available infrastructure in the event that she needs to drive further, or if recharging isn't available.

TBH, I'd much rather have a plug-in hybrid with enough range to do my daily driving on that can then drive further on gasoline. I had one, a Volt. It was pretty damn good for my use case and I loved it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#47]
The Japs rarely fail in their market studies. Gotta agree with Toyota, as all-or-nothing thinking is almost always wrong
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

MURDERER
View Quote

They eat people so yes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Id burn E98 in my Camaro if I could. Ethanol is an incredible anti-knock  agent, exceptionally clean burning and literally the working mans race fuel.

But sure, grumbly reduced muh mpg and subsidies screaching noises.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#50]
I suspect Elon in the EV business because he wants the future martian market. Looks like Toyota will have the earth market.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top