Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Good.

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is a retarded lie people like to repeat. Wolves will kill an animal and then return for days or even weeks in the deep winter to feed. There is zero evidence of "sport killing" outside of idiots on the internet repeating the lie.
View Quote

"Zero evidence!  "  

Wolves kill 120 sheep at ranch near Dillon

Two Wolves Kill 176 Sheep in One Night Near Idaho Falls

Wood County couple look to 'salvage' farm after wolf attack that killed 13 sheep

Wolves kill three dozen sheep on Park Falls farm
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like my interaction with them.

I used to run a couple trap lines when I was in high school in the early '80s.

We started noticing more of these grayish dogs, coyotes, and they were not too afraid of people.

We let the local "wildlife biologist" know that there were coyotes around, their population was increasing, and could we trap them (they weren't on the fur-bearing list in IL back then).

He told us that there are no coyotes in IL and we saw a dog.

Next week, we threw one on his desk and told him he needs to find the owner.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif

Yep, we didn't want to get caught with it since it was a non existent species in IL. Buyer wouldn't touch it either.

We never said how it died or how it came into our possession.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#4]
ffs, can't post image, oh well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Dad trapped a wolf the first year it was allowed in Wisconsin.  Thought that was the end of it.  Guess not!
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a retarded lie people like to repeat. Wolves will kill an animal and then return for days or even weeks in the deep winter to feed. There is zero evidence of "sport killing" outside of idiots on the internet repeating the lie.

"Zero evidence!  "  

Wolves kill 120 sheep at ranch near Dillon

Two Wolves Kill 176 Sheep in One Night Near Idaho Falls

Wood County couple look to 'salvage' farm after wolf attack that killed 13 sheep

Wolves kill three dozen sheep on Park Falls farm

No you don't understand, they are just going to come back and eat those later.

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I <3 wolf threads. They're always full of facts and no emotion or internet rumors.
View Quote

They're also full of people that don't experience the joy of wolves on an almost daily basis.

I don't carry daily because of two-legged vermin, I do it because of four-legged vermin.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fuck wildlife biologists.

They are the most brain dead people in the Government.

Every interaction I have ever had with a wildlife biologist, except one, was a joke.

My favorites were when I said I h=found Wolverine tracks in the middle of the Chequamegon forest.  I told a WB about it and was told there were none in Wisconsin.

So I set up a game game and got a picture of it.  Was told I was pretty much lying.

Just like the WBs telling everyone there was no way mountain lions were in WI, until game cams started showing them.

My bro in law has a place in Montana and in his area, the elk are gone.  Just gone due to wolves.

Areas in WI were stripped of deer for years until the packs ate them all and moved on.  It is quite depressing to walk up on a feeding area to dind bones and hair everywhere from multiple deer.

Fuck wolves and fuck anyone who supports wolves.  They should be eradicated everywhere in the wild.

The only place wolves should exist is memories and a few select zoos.

Don’t get me started on what they do to hunting dogs...
View Quote

I was in WI in 95 when they started introducing them in MN. It was all the tree huggers could do not to jerk off in public.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

6.8 SPC
View Quote

You are my hero!  I still hunt deer with my 6.8 and shoot coyote with it
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Saw my first Wi wolf back in 1974 outside Ashland,WI...reported it to the DNR they treated me like a criminal...
View Quote

I'm glad you brought this up. I was hunting deer near Ashland in the mid to late 90s. I distinctly remember some of the local hunters talking about wolves they had seen up there. They seemed like solid guys and not bullshitters.

I was told by some others that this was impossible, but anyone who has seen those woods knows the location is perfect for them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn! I wasted m249 post
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was in WI in 95 when they started introducing them in MN. It was all the tree huggers could do not to jerk off in public.
View Quote

MN was populated with Canadian Gray's. Which is a bigger meaner version of the Native Timber wolves.

They have decimated the moose population, which the DNR was swearing wasn't the case and blamed it on hoof and mouth and CWD. Which everyone but the true believers knew was bullshit.

MN has paid out $150k a year for the last however many years to farmers to lost livestock. I expect a wolf hunt is coming.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That looks like a yote to me wolves are some big bastards!! My brother keeps telling me stories of where he traps in north central MN where he would walk in to a beaver set and there would be a couple sets of wolf prints on top of his tracks like they were trailing him for a little bit. He usually only walks in with an axe and his trap/carcass hauler on his back i keep telling him he needs at least a pistol strapped on just in case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That looks like a yote to me wolves are some big bastards!! My brother keeps telling me stories of where he traps in north central MN where he would walk in to a beaver set and there would be a couple sets of wolf prints on top of his tracks like they were trailing him for a little bit. He usually only walks in with an axe and his trap/carcass hauler on his back i keep telling him he needs at least a pistol strapped on just in case.

Northern MN
16oz can
Attachment Attached File

Stay strapped

See wolves and yotes on the same trail cam many times.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Northern MN
16oz can
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/334937/58398F3A-225C-4D50-B1D7-2DB7D1D8B12B_jpe-1660123.JPG

Stay strapped

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Northern MN
16oz can
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/334937/58398F3A-225C-4D50-B1D7-2DB7D1D8B12B_jpe-1660123.JPG

Stay strapped

Fuck, now we have big ass wolves all shitfaced on miller lite roaming the woods?

Not good...
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fuck, now we have big ass wolves all shitfaced on miller lite roaming the woods?

Not good...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Northern MN
16oz can

Stay strapped

Not good...

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't agree with destroying a native species for convenience.  Are they wiping out elk populations?
View Quote

These wolves are far from native.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
End Canadian Geese and Woodpeckers too
View Quote
They'd be extinct in a month
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Northern MN
16oz can

Stay strapped

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Northern MN
16oz can

Stay strapped

I've seen wolves up close. They freaking monsters in Wisconsin. Raised for generations on easy high protein diets of our big white tail deer.

Paws bigger than the spread of a man's hand. 6' long. Absolute monsters as a pack.

Killing a few will cause a protracted battle, because losing pack members brings them into heat and brings larger litters.

Large cats are known to come into barns and kill everything too.

Predators are raw.

(I still admire wolves though.)
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Good catch, either way they should have eliminated the packs the found in the early 80's instead of track them.
View Quote

I couldn’t agree with you more...
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not convenience and it's not wiping out a species.

Wolves are reportedly over-abundant in canada and alaska.

Wolves decimate far more than they eat and they are frankly horrible and vicious, they'll gut an animal and leave it to die and rot. They are very far out of their appropriate place in nature.

With Kentucky having the huge population of wolves that it does, you'd be very well versed in their habits, huh?

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#24]
So what do you do after killing a wolf... trophy hunting... sell them to a Korean restaurant?

Coyotes I understand... bringing children across from Mexico... what, wolfs bringing children over from Canada?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Arnt these wolves not the species of wolf that was originally here, but imported from Canada? Like our wolves were smaller and their Canadian cousins are bigger?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Arnt these wolves not the species of wolf that was originally here, but imported from Canada? Like our wolves were smaller and their Canadian cousins are bigger?
View Quote

The predominant genus that has taken over in Minnesota are in fact Canadian Gray wolves, and not the smaller, more timid native Timber Wolf.

ETA: I should note, the media and even the .gov still refers to them as Timber wolves and does not easily make the data known the damage that the Canadian Grays are doing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So what do you do after killing a wolf... trophy hunting... sell them to a Korean restaurant?

Coyotes I understand... bringing children across from Mexico... what, wolfs bringing children over from Canada?
View Quote

Keep the pelt and skull, then drop the meat off at the Fond Du Lac tribal food shelf.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not good...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Northern MN
16oz can

Stay strapped

Not good...

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#29]
They need 5-7 lbs of meat, per day, per wolf to successfully breed and raise pups. They can get by on half that, but life isn’t great.

They ain’t getting 5 lbs a day just eating field mice. . .
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've seen wolves up close. They freaking monsters in Wisconsin. Raised for generations on easy high protein diets of our big white tail deer.

Paws bigger than the spread of a man's hand. 6' long. Absolute monsters as a pack.

Killing a few will cause a protracted battle, because losing pack members brings them into heat and brings larger litters.

Predators are raw.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Northern MN
16oz can

Stay strapped

Predators are raw.

Same argument with coyotes too. The more you kill, the more they breed. Seen a few while in stand. Wouldn’t want to run across any in the morning stumble to my napping spot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#31]
How many wolf attacks have there been in Wisconsin in the last 150yrs?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They're also full of people that don't experience the joy of wolves on an almost daily basis.

I don't carry daily because of two-legged vermin, I do it because of four-legged vermin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I <3 wolf threads. They're always full of facts and no emotion or internet rumors.

Last deer season I was sitting on the ground leaning against a tree. In a span of 2 hours I had 6 wolves within 30 yards of me. I never even felt the need to pick up my gun.  I've been sharing the woods with wolves my whole life. They're near the bottom of my list of concerns when I'm outdoors.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How many wolf attacks have there been in Wisconsin in the last 150yrs?
View Quote

None in Wisco, but Minnesota has the largest population of wolves in the lower 48, and there has been a few attacks. One was a 16 year old kid.

ETA; I stand corrected,  there have been a lot more attacks by wolves than I knew about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wolf_attacks_in_North_America
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wolves were never not in Minnesota.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Good, now end it for all canine species
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is correct. It wasn't until the hippies started importing Canadian Gray wolves, did they become a major problem.

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:45:45 PM EDT
[#37]
But why
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is correct. It wasn't until the hippies started importing Canadian Gray wolves, did they become a major problem.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsb57v5CYAA_9Kc.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsb57v5CYAA_9Kc.jpg

Wolves travel freely to and from Canada. The wolves that are in Minnesota are the same ones that are across the border in Canada.

I would be interested in any info about different wolves being brought into the state.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wolves travel freely to and from Canada. The wolves that are in Minnesota are the same ones that are across the border in Canada.

I would be interested in any info about different wolves being brought into the state.
View Quote

I think was thinking about the Canadian wolves brought to Isle Royale that traveled into Minnesota a couple years ago. For some reason I was thinking that in the late 1970's, a bunch were brought into MN.. I cannot find any literature on this, so I am probably mistaken.

Long but educational read.

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu

Another: https://www.fws.gov/midwest/wolf/aboutwolves/r3wolfrec.htm

I live right near Center City, lower right of the purple. And I have seen about a dozen wolves in the last 5 years, 4 within 100' of my house.

And according to the most recent survey, it appears we are going to get a harvest season.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildlife/wildlife/wolves/summary_attitude_report.pdf
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#40]
As an interesting note, the headline of the article...

"Trump administration officials"

Goes to show how much all press is in the bag for Dems.

Any other time it would have been, "the EPA" or whoever.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What round for wolf?
View Quote

.45-70

Duh.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Is it wrong that I want to attach a wolf pelt to my kit and helmet while I shoot at night with nods on? Romans got it right
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I think was thinking about the Canadian wolves brought to Isle Royale that traveled into Minnesota a couple years ago. For some reason I was thinking that in the late 1970's, a bunch were brought into MN.. I cannot find any literature on this, so I am probably mistaken.

Long but educational read.

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu

Another: https://www.fws.gov/midwest/wolf/aboutwolves/r3wolfrec.htm

https://wpcdn.us-midwest-1.vip.tn-cloud.net/www.kvrr.com/content/uploads/2018/10/WOLF-RANGE.png

I live right near Center City, lower right of the purple. And I have seen about a dozen wolves in the last 5 years, 4 within 100' of my house.

And according to the most recent survey, it appears we are going to get a harvest season.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildlife/wildlife/wolves/summary_attitude_report.pdf
View Quote

I hope so. MN needs a wolf season. People out west can hunt them and they have way less wolves than MN does.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#45]
About time!
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I should start hunting wolves.
View Quote

Thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I’ve been trapping in Alaska for forty some years. I’ve been a wolf trapper for most of those years and in order to be good at trapping wolves, you need to have a good understanding of their habits. I applaud the loosening up of restrictions regarding taking of wolves. As you are probably aware, wolves are extremely prolific animals that without some sort of management, they will decimate the ungulate population that inhabit their range.

Will they kill for fun? Probably not for what we call fun, but to train their pups, or have an abundance of food, yes, I’ve seen them kill things never to return. Does it make them bad or evil? No, it makes them wolves, a top predator in the ecosystem. I believe bears do as much damage as wolves do, especially during calve season.

I can understand people who have developed a hatred for them having seen what an unregulated population will  do to wildlife and and stock,and a rancher should have his God given right to protect what is his. I hope this legislation will permit people to do so. Without human control, nature can take care of its self in circles. Wolves kill all the ungulates, then the wolves starve and die. When that happens, the ungulates start to thrive until the process reversed itself. Sometimes this takes many, many years.

Would I like to see wolves eradicated from the planet? No way, but a well regulated season on them with an aggressive means of take will allow people to see and appreciate what they truly are, a expert predator that that has a place in the wild. I do believe that if an animal has killed your stock or your dog you should legally be able to kill that animals or animals. I’ve kept track and to date I’ve trapped over 165 wolves, so I’m not a bleeding heart, just my observations.

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Pics from one of my cameras.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Don't agree with destroying a native species for convenience.  Are they wiping out elk populations?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've come to the conclusion that anyone who wants to pass on elk hunting to their children needs to start hunting wolves now.

This. Completely agree.
Apparently (according to local loggers) a pack was spotted in W. Washington where we hunt deer/elk.

Yes and every other deer species.....

Btw, these wolves are a different species than were here historically.  They are bigger.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Here is how it should work.

If you see a damn wolf you shoot it, then
If you see another wolf, you shoot that one, then
If you see another wolf, you freaking shoot it, then
If you are at home having coffee
and need to walk/ride the ranch or take a hike and you see one of those damn alpha predator mofos, you shoot it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top