Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They do at GM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pension isn’t what you all would think it is. And new employees haven’t got a pension since like 2007 sometime around there.

They do at GM.

I don’t work for GM. So I can’t comment on their contract
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I despise unions as much as the next guy but are you implying that corporations are the good guys?

Theyve single handedly done more damage to this country than anything else I can think of.
View Quote

Corpprations are good at creating wealth, but you have to pay to play.  They are the basis of capitalism.  The only problem is when they collude with each other in unethical behavior..
Wanna get pissed, watch The Big Short on YouTube.  It's free.  Other than one line at the very end, and you will sniff it out, it shows how unscrupulous the banks are at moving money from the middle class to the upper class.

All that said, without capitalism and corporations, we would be a 3rd world country.  Still the best economic situation in the world.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Corpprations are good at creating wealth, but you have to pay to play.  They are the basis of capitalism.  The only problem is when they collude with each other in unethical behavior..
Wanna get pissed, watch The Big Short on YouTube.  It's free.  Other than one line at the very end, and you will sniff it out, it shows how unscrupulous the banks are at moving money from the middle class to the upper class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvdjXCCHdSQ

All that said, without capitalism and corporations, we would be a 3rd world country.  Still the best economic situation in the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I despise unions as much as the next guy but are you implying that corporations are the good guys?

Theyve single handedly done more damage to this country than anything else I can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvdjXCCHdSQ

Good movie, but the government set that all in motion IMO with the CRA, promoting and underwriting sub prime loans and then ultimately punishing banks for not writing enough sub prime loans (seem to remember obama involved in one suit against a bank for this back in IL).

Once the gov't put their thumb on the scale to promote bad loans the sharks swooped in to take advantage of the feeding frenzy.  Sharks were at all levels of that shitshow - gov't, banks, sellers, buyers.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The two tiered wage system has created a lot of issues within the hourly wage earners.

Any hires in the past 10 years aren't making anywhere what most here think they make and they don't have some fantastic pension plan either.

Upper management up to and including CEO's and CFO's and ignorant government monkeys [who seldom have any degree or expertise in anything related to actual engineering or pollution controls] have created almost every recent issue seen with domestic automakers. And none of them have taken any cuts in pay and most have seen far more compensation, especially on the company side.
View Quote

C suite makes entirely too much money for the skill set they have, and that's in the majority of most companies.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We just dropped UPS as our parcel carrier, nationwide, everything is FedEx now.  Those union faggots can suck a big one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Worked for UPS.  I'm sure it will work for UAW as well.

We just dropped UPS as our parcel carrier, nationwide, everything is FedEx now.  Those union faggots can suck a big one

@Billy1490

unless you are using FedEx for just overnight stuff, you are going to seriously regret that moved. I hope your name is not on that one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm a union member for a large aerospace company in the NW ;) before I went to work there I heard the stories about the union protecting people. Now that I've been on the inside for 15 years the real problem is the incompetent management that won't do anything. Management that also has no idea what's involved in most of the work. As long as management documents why they're firing or writing someone up the union backs off. Rarely happens. About 10 years ago I asked a manager why they kept this one person around. Sweetheart of a woman but completely worthless. "she's untouchable, she's a black female union steward". Told him "bullshit, no one is untouchable, you just don't want to do your job".
About a year later a manager made it his mission to get her out of there. He had a 3 ring binder of documentation. Called her into a meeting with Senior managers, 2 other union stewards and a union business rep. "Here's the deal, you can retire right now or we can open up this binder and go through it and see that you aren't competent". She retired on the spot. Granted she retired with her pension but it took 35 years for management to finally do something about her.
When I got hired I was very anti-union, after I'd been there a while my brother asked me what my views were on it then. "there's the company side, the union side, what's fair and just is a huge grey area in the middle".
I've got a good job, enjoy what I do. Program and run multi-axis CNC machines doing work that I'd have a hard time finding outside of this company. Most shops have some programmers and machine operators. We do it all and I never know what's waiting for me the next day. When it comes to wages the only way I'm going to get an increase is through the contract. Can't hardly ask for a raise when my direct manager has no idea what's involved in doing what I do nor the knowledge it takes, then expect him to go up the chain through further layers, each layer is more detached than the previous. Corporate world bureaucracy at it's finest.
View Quote

I have been saying that for a long time, and you can thank people like that Dick head Jack Welch for stupid fucking management styles. GE was successful DESPITE jack welch, not because of him. Read that again.

Hopefully one day I can teach a business class at my almamater and I will teach the kids how Jack Welch and people like him are a pox of business management.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wait until the Chinese start flooding the US market with EVs (aided by the Biden admin's war on ICE vehicles).  

Everyone on Arfcom who has a Holosun optic will be buying one.
View Quote

I’m sure those cars will come standard with shake awake.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]
for all you union haters and C Suite and shareholder model worshipers...here's the brass tacks

According to Justin Dugan, who hosts American Trucks' video, it takes approximately 20 hours to build an F-150.
View Quote

Lets say you got top pay making that truck $38 an  hour

That's 20 hours and $38 an hour, that's $760 buck in labor for one person

and ya'll are bitching that they want a raise....let me tell you somthing...if that's the assembly labor costs...the automakers need to get their heads out their asses with their spending because assembly line labor isn't killing them
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pension isn’t what you all would think it is. And new employees haven’t got a pension since like 2007 sometime around there.

They do at GM.

Neither does he.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
for all you union haters and C Suite and shareholder model worshipers...here's the brass tacks

and ya'll are bitching that they want a raise....let me tell you somthing...if that's the assembly labor costs...the automakers need to get their heads out their asses with their spending because assembly line labor isn't killing them
View Quote

It's not exactly 20 hours from one guy gets you from raw materials to a finished F-150. Those 20 hours are just final assembly of a bunch of expensive parts built on a bunch of other assembly lines, all staffed by a bunch of people, supported by a lot of other people.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's not exactly 20 hours from one guy gets you from raw materials to a finished F-150. Those 20 hours are just final assembly of a bunch of expensive parts built on a bunch of other assembly lines, all staffed by a bunch of people, supported by a lot of other people.
View Quote

The subject is assembly line labor costs though right? Total cost per employee, times the number of hours to build the product seems like a pretty reasonable metric to me.
I don't think the claim is being made that it is 20 hours from the iron mine to a finished product sitting in your garage.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well. The gov is all but mandating EV’s regardless of their viability and China intends to flood the market with cheap ones.

yeah
View Quote

That is going to be a huge impact on the market.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The subject is assembly line labor costs though right? Total cost per employee, times the number of hours to build the product seems like a pretty reasonable metric to me.
I don't think the claim is being made that it is 20 hours from the iron mine to a finished product sitting in your garage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

correct sir
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Neither does he.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do at GM.

Neither does he.

I did and they do.  The only people that got fucked were salary and retirees.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#15]
$15/hr becomes the default minimum wage for the average worker, prices of everything skyrocket and now they need more money.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

You understand a thing called overhead expenses?
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#17]
At the price of new vehicles , i would think the same if i was a UAW clown.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

So.... are you saying that the hourly labor cost to build the truck is the same as the employee's hourly pay? Are the companies NOT paying for their part of taxes, health care,  etc???
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah...SG&A needs to be CUT THE FUCK OUT BIGLY
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So.... are you saying that the hourly labor cost to build the truck is the same as the employee's hourly pay? Are the companies NOT paying for their part of taxes, health care,  etc???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

double it....you are only still at $1500 on a $50,000+ truck
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
$15/hr becomes the default minimum wage for the average worker, prices of everything skyrocket and now they need more money.
View Quote

That's the commie tool for equity.  They know minimum wage increases will reduce the buying power for everyone above minimum wage and they will keep sliding that number until they achieve their goal.

Of course the commie elites will remain above the peasants because their wealth is altruistic.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It takes an hour of labor of everybody in the building plus subassembly/manufacturing. I would venture a guess of $20./per hr. average as some subassemblies are made in Mexico and China. Labor is the single greatest expense. Labor unions add no value, they add costs, which get passed straight thru to the consumer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do you want $150k base model F150?
Because this is how you get that.
View Quote

Hey, communists are trying to reduce car ownership so this works perfectly for them
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top