Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/19/2019 1:50:04 AM EDT
There's a bit of a pandemic going on. UK tourists insist on visiting our fair shores (which is fine, I guess...), but they defiantly insist on congregating in large numbers on holiday in:

1. New York City
2. Las Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Miami

That's all well and good, but they keep returning home (often making YouTube videos) and saying "As a world traveller, I've been to America and...". No. You fucking haven't, you miserable twat.

So then, I feel like it's our duty as Americans, to advise our UK cousins on where they should be booking flights. Because the 5 I've mentioned (and the 5 they insist on visiting) aren't America. We can all agree on that, yes? Right. So let's help them out.

And...go!
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:54:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, don't come to Arizona, it's too damn hot and we open carry spoons.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:58:12 AM EDT
[#2]
They should take a trip to southwestern WV. They probably won’t come back after that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:59:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I beg to differ, you can’t get MUCH more America than Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:00:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There's a bit of a pandemic going on. UK tourists insist on visiting our fair shores (which is fine, I guess...), but they defiantly insist on congregating in large numbers on holiday in:

1. New York City
2. Las Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Miami

That's all well and good, but they keep returning home (often making YouTube videos) and saying "As a world traveller, I've been to America and...". No. You fucking haven't, you miserable twat.

So then, I feel like it's our duty as Americans, to advise our UK cousins on where they should be booking flights. Because the 5 I've mentioned (and the 5 they insist on visiting) aren't America. We can all agree on that, yes? Right. So let's help them out.

And...go!
View Quote
They are the only parts of America that feel like home to them. They sure af are not coming to fly over country.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:03:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Gallup, NM.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Las Cruces and then head just a wee bit more south.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1. New York City
2. Las Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Miami

And...go!
View Quote
Depends on who we’re talking about. My British ex girlfriend was only interested in NYC and Las Vegas. Vegas was kind of our last chance to repair things but it didn’t work out. In her mind London was the shit and she wasn’t interested in exploring and traveling the rest of the UK with me. Her own home country
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:13:17 AM EDT
[#9]
if someone really wanted to see america, the following is my train of thought (moving generally east to west):

-new hampshire or delaware

-boston

-some of the old coastal towns in VA and the carolinas

-savannah GA

-cape canaveral

-the FL keys

-the appalachians and cumberland

-rural west virginia

-small-town iowa or nebraska

-hot springs AR

-the gulf coast.  not the white sands FL version, but the MS/LA version

-new orleans

-the italian/eastern european parts of chicago.

-the great plains.  horse country.  brits are a nautical people who love the desert because it's like an ocean--they'll appreciate the GP.

-yellowstone and glacier parks.

-western CO, in the real working areas rather than the resort areas.

-NASA in houston

-fort worth TX--the city that cattle built.

-the southwest.  make them drive through TX, NM, and AZ.  climbing up into flagstaff, and feeling the temperature drop on your skin.

-white sands missile range.

-hoover dam

-yosemite and lake tahoe

-the beach towns in CA

-northern CA and the redwoods

that's a start...
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:15:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

1. New York City
2. Las Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Miami

And...go!
View Quote
And everyone goes to Tokyo and Kyoto, fuck the entire country and fuck your morals and be a disrespectful cunt while at it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:16:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Las Cruces and then head just a wee bit more south.
View Quote
My Mom loved New Mexico. I got to visit Las Cruces for a day while I was at Ft Bliss and the people [women] were very friendly. I was hoping to see balloons at White Sands but no time for that or really any serious sightseeing. I guess Ft. Bliss is better than Camp Shelby
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:19:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
if someone really wanted to see america, the following is my train of thought (moving generally east to west):

-boston

-savannah GA

-cape canaveral

-the FL keys

-rural west virginia

-hot springs AR

-new orleans

-the great plains.  horse country.  brits are a nautical people who love the desert because it's like an ocean--they'll appreciate the GP.

-NASA in houston

-the southwest.  make them drive through TX, NM, and AZ.  climbing up into flagstaff, and feeling the temperature drop on your skin.

-hoover dam

-yosemite and lake tahoe

-the beach towns in CA

that's a start...
View Quote
Haven’t seen Chicago, New Hampshire, White Sands, Hoover Dam, Yellowstone or the Gulf coast from that list
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:24:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Haven’t seen Chicago, New Hampshire, White Sands, Hoover Dam, Yellowstone or the Gulf coast from that list
View Quote
glacier crushes yellowstone.  if you've been to glacier, you got a sense of just how old the earth is.

i really want to see trinity and hoover.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:27:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

glacier crushes yellowstone.  if you've been to glacier, you got a sense of just how old the earth is.

View Quote
I’ve tried to collect magnets or coffee cups from each of the National Parks I’ve been to. But I haven’t been to Glacier. What’s Trinity? AZ or COL Park I’m forgetting?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Why are you under some illusion anyone from Britain thinks the totality of the US is some major cities? I doubt they think that.  Many Britons live in small towns and countrysides also.

I know several foreign people who have visited smaller areas, the south, etc, and loved it.

Major cities in every country are the big tourist destinations, this isn’t some revelation or unique to the US.

Orlando is full of them too...I used to live an hour away, Brits were all over the place and you could spot them from a mile away as they looked and dressed very British.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I was in a dive bar in Scheideck (rural California) yesterday with my parents, and noticed among the thousands of dollar bills plastered on the walls and ceiling, 2 GBP notes, both from the same couple, spaced a few years apart. The first stated "We love this bar". The second stated "We still love this bar".

The best parts of America are, sadly, the quirky little places that are tucked away that most aren't lucky enough to find on the Google search. I can't really blame the tourists passing over these places, but I have a feeling that if they knew of the less advertised destinations, most would fall in love with them the same way we do.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:36:41 AM EDT
[#17]
OI! SHOW YER OPINION LOICENSE YA BLOODY CUNT!

Brits

Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:37:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, don't come to Arizona, it's too damn hot and we open carry spoons.  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif
View Quote
Don't forget the scorpions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:38:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Haven’t seen Fort Worth but included that as Gulf Coast. Haven’t been to Acadia NP or even the Grand Canyon. Been to others like Hawaii, North Carolina, Oregon and Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:39:19 AM EDT
[#20]
If I go to Italy and just go to Rome, did I not really go to Italy?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:39:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Minot North Dakota in January.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

-boston

-savannah GA

-cape canaveral

-the FL keys

-rural west virginia

-hot springs AR

-new orleans

-NASA in houston

-hoover dam

-yosemite and lake tahoe

-the beach towns in CA

that's a start...
View Quote
That’s a good list.  Not easily done.  To get within five or six is impressive.  I’ve only seen five or six of the areas listed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:39:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Cherryville, Missouri
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:41:15 AM EDT
[#24]
As a minority white guy living in Miami, I for one, welcome our former English overlords—bad teeth and all.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:44:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Nah I think the status quo is sufficient.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:45:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, don't come to Arizona, it's too damn hot and we open carry spoons.  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif
View Quote
Back when I worked retail, I could always tell when someone was from across the pond was visiting. Besides being almost translucently pale, they looked a little lost and in awe.

My father hosted a school teacher from Ireland for a week and the guy could not believe the summer heat or how bright it is here.
He definitely appreciated our air conditioning.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:46:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:48:51 AM EDT
[#29]
National Lampoon's Vacation (1983) Official Trailer - Chevy Chase Comedy Movie HD
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:53:24 AM EDT
[#30]
How to deal with tourists

Fawlty Towers - Don't mention the war.mpg
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:53:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Cuban sandwich and cheap booger sugar makes Miami ok.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I’ve tried to collect magnets or coffee cups from each of the National Parks I’ve been to. But I haven’t been to Glacier. What’s Trinity? AZ or COL Park I’m forgetting?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trinity Site. The monument to the detonation of the first atomic bomb.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:55:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Send 'em to the D.  If it's a nice day we'll snag a couple 40s and drive through the neighborhood.

DETROIT'S WORST LOOKING AREAS
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:59:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Probably cause Phoenix isnt that fun in July/August.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:01:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

1. New York City
2. Las Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Miami

And...go!
View Quote
You mean like American tourists that just visit capital cities when they go to Europe?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:17:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Dude,
You’ve got some skills.
View Quote
Besides the ones in California, most of the others were close to military bases I was stationed or training at and took advantage of seeing. That’s why I never got to see Yellowstone, Arcadia and Glacier but I’ve wanted to see Carlsbad Caverns NM as an adult. My family took me when we lived in Texas when I was like 7 or 8 so I don’t count it since I barely remember it other than remembering how amazed I felt back then. My son doesn’t remember Canada at all. Glad I took pictures. I’ve been to Utah a couple times but I have’t seen Bryce either
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:23:35 AM EDT
[#38]
We get a bunch of them up here. From Yellowstone to Glacier, they want to see the wildlife.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:24:13 AM EDT
[#39]
I agree.

However how many Americans think London = Britain.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:28:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Next time I go to Wyoming I plan for enough time to see Snake River, ID and Montana too. Top and bottom one I filtered to bring out the gold and green letters more clearly but the middle pic has no editing at all Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#41]
out of
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:33:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

1. New York City
2. Las Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Miami

And...go!
View Quote
Spot on!

Of course, most Americans haven’t even seen most of America. It’s a big place, and I think that’s what the majority of outsiders fail to realize. We’re more like the entire continent of Europe, not a singular country there in. Half as many people, but almost exactly the same size. I’ve explained it to some that way, seems to make more sense than trying to explain how or why our people are so diverse and hold differing beliefs.

Quoted:
I agree.

However how many Americans think London = Britain.
View Quote
This is also true.

Devonshire and Cornwall are on our list of places we still want to see in Europe. I want to ride the train.

ETA: @Pesty The railway that hugs the coast and crosses what used to be a salt marsh, drained now, and has a beach that’s a popular getaway spot. That’s the Royal Albert isn’t it?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:34:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I beg to differ, you can't get MUCH more America than Las Vegas.
View Quote
or NYC
OP  your post is bad and you should feel bad.
Dallas, Austin, Houston should be added but the list is about right. America is symbolized by our big cities and pop culture.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:41:02 AM EDT
[#44]
National Lampoon's Vacation - Clark's Desert Trek
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:43:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Trinity Site. The monument to the detonation of the first atomic bomb.
View Quote
I didn’t even get the right state with 2 guesses
USA Government Trinity Nuclear Atomic bomb explosion in New Mexico July 16 1945
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:43:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

or NYC
OP  your post is bad and you should feel bad.
Dallas, Austin, Houston should be added but the list is about right. America is symbolized by our big cities and pop culture.
View Quote
He’s not saying they’re not America, he’s saying you can’t visit only those cities and get a true representation of all of America, which is what most seem to think.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:45:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Detroit is beautiful this time of year and the chicken is to die for.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#48]
National Lampoon's Vacation (1983) - Griswold's Visit Dodge City
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Spot on!

Of course, most Americans haven’t even seen most of America. It’s a big place, and I think that’s what the majority of outsiders fail to realize. We’re more like the entire continent of Europe, not a singular country there in. Half as many people, but almost exactly the same size. I’ve explained it to some that way, seems to make more sense than trying to explain how or why our people are so diverse and hold differing beliefs.

This is also true.

Devonshire and Cornwall are on our list of places we still want to see in Europe. I want to ride the train.

ETA: @Pesty The railway that hugs the coast and crosses what used to be a salt marsh, drained now, and has a beach that’s a popular getaway spot. That’s the Royal Albert isn’t it?
View Quote
Sorry I’m a northern monkey.  Don’t do the south.

This might help

https://greatscenicrailways.co.uk/cornwall/

All the paces I want to visit in the states are generally western filming locations always wanted to go to Wyoming and Arizona etc.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 5:16:36 AM EDT
[#50]
They are stupid as they come....

I help out at a gun range in Budapest and many come with their dumb as rocks Stag and Hen parties and we keep telling them to stop pointing the guns at each other and pulling triggers.

I've asked my boss multiple times to kick them out if they do and no refunds but they are afraid of losing customers who will give shitty reviews on Trip Advisor and Viago.

Let them stay in their fucked up island and drink to a stupor and play roulette with their drugs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top