Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Found a picture of the prototype.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Subcontractors in RH drive Wranglers around here. "Real" USPS trucks can't even drive down some of the roads, let alone get to mailboxes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Subcontractors in RH drive Wranglers around here. "Real" USPS trucks can't even drive down some of the roads, let alone get to mailboxes.

We have a 90s Cherokee and a Wrangler for rural routes in my area.  I don't know how those things still run.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do you want your mail or do you want your delivery vehicle sitting on a charger?  That MPG number is low due to stops every 100 yards. That is a nice improvement and reduction in fuel cost
View Quote

100 yards, I think you meant to say every 100 feet.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
What a fucking joke.
More Gov't incompetence. They are capable of nothing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Honestly a hybrid would have been the correct solution.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Everywhere I've lived for the last 25 years have used been contractors for USPS and they all were in pickups or large SUV's for deliveries. Go figure.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen a couple of USPS ProMaster 2500's driving around here. Looks a lot better than that abortion.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep, a hybrid would have been perfect for this application.
View Quote

In a courier vehicle, the goal is to maximize cargo volume & weight... not haul around more vehicle all day. Considering energy density, batteries are bulky and heavy and extra electric motors are heavy. Gas/diesel is tops for energy density and range.

Not to mention more complex system means more PM.  Hybrid vehicles have all of the PMs of an ICE and an electric car. How long before most of the hybrid fleet was running on fuel only because of shitty PM.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure the reason they're sticking with ICE instead of electric is that they'd drain the juice with all that stop and go and never complete a route efficiently.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My USPS driver literally floors it to get to the next house 100 feet away. Last week the damn thing burned up. That's probably where the bad MPG is coming from.
View Quote
never driven a company vee-hickle before, eh?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Massive increase in infrastructure cost. And it has to be done before the trucks arrive
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perfect application for an electric vehicle.   Known daily range....charge at night.

Massive increase in infrastructure cost. And it has to be done before the trucks arrive

Grid doomer!  
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Everywhere I've lived for the last 25 years have used been contractors for USPS and they all were in pickups or large SUV's for deliveries. Go figure.
View Quote

You mean rural carriers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#14]

I agree,
BRING BACK THE JEEPS!!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Perfect application for an electric vehicle.   Known daily range....charge at night.

View Quote

Please name a EV that drives with constant start and stop for an 8 to 10 hour shift.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've seen a couple of USPS ProMaster 2500's driving around here. Looks a lot better than that abortion.
View Quote

The “StairMaster” and Mercedes Benz the post office has wasted money on are worthless pieces of shit. This vehicle is actually designed to deliver mail.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#17]
....but they have a heat pump inside.........
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Better milage then the LLV, FFV an the POS Mercedes Metris. First, the trucks are run seven days a week. The drivers put gas in them and turn the key.  The driver might write them up if something is wrong. Then six months later the truck will be taken away to be fixed. Then you're down a truck for six months. The LLV's are catching fire left and right. PO paid for a big study to find out why. Could it be the trucks are 27+ years old and not taken care of? If you're in the salt belt, even the PMI showed the frame rusted in half, the truck will fall apart going down the road. Brakes, forget about them!

LLV and FFV = no air, air bag or real heat. Metris has air, heat, radio and air bags.

If your PO delivers Amazon, the new truck is a must. LLV, FFV fit about 110 packages, the Metris can do 150. Route with Amazon average 210 packages plus. Doesn't give much room for mail.

In a small City, Letter Carriers drive 14 miles or less for seven hours a day (if the office is in the area). My route has the truck being turned off 696 times a day. One route in the office turns off 1200 times a day. That route truck gets 7-9 starters a year. Leave the truck run and get caught, time off or worse.

I'll be retired before my unit gets a new truck. Well, unless the 25 LLV's burn to the ground.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Please name a EV that drives with constant start and stop for an 8 to 10 hour shift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't that be the easy part? They all are measured in range...so let's use that as our goal post.  

How many delivery routes are over 200 miles a day?  Most Ev's are more that that I think?

Charging would be the biggest hurdle in major areas probably.   But a fixed route every day...start/stop is perfect for EV.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#20]
What is the cost per vehicle? I tried doing the math from the original post and it was not making sense. My math skills must be horrible today for the answers I was getting.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's quite an ugly looking piece of shit.  

I can see an EV being more useful in that application though.
View Quote

EVs:

Not even once
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#22]
How a military contractor won the largest EV deal ever: Corruption
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You mean rural carriers.
View Quote
Normally, but one of those was when I lived in the city limits of San Antonio.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#24]
They should get the same trucks that UPS and Fex Ex use, slap a USPS logo on it and call it good.
Don't spend millions trying to reinvent the wheel.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Honestly a hybrid would have been the correct solution.
View Quote

Problem is these things will cost a fortune for us taxpayers to buy and it takes acts of Congress to get new ones, so they’ll keep these new ugly things around for 25+ years like the Jeeps and LLV’s. How many replacement batteries, generators, and engines would a hybrid version need during that time and at what cost? What’s the downtime to have it done?

Cheapest option would be a stripped down Promaster or Transit with granny gearing for the stop and go driving, and a planned replacement period every 7 to 10 years. It’d also phase in new fuel efficiency technologies with each replacement (including hybrid without the 10+ year ownership costs). But that would be too simple for government bureaucracy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#26]
What the fuck do they expect? It stops and goes a thousand times a day, while hauling hundreds (maybe 1k) of pounds of cargo.

I'm surprised they haven't made a push to have a mail collection point at designated corners in the neighborhood. You see that in some of the newer sub-divisions now.

There is a push here by the USPS to make everyone stick their box on the street, the drivers don't like getting out and walking up to the house. I think new builds are required to do it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do you want your mail or do you want your delivery vehicle sitting on a charger?  That MPG number is low due to stops every 100 yards. That is a nice improvement and reduction in fuel cost
View Quote

This is pretty much it. You’re not driving across Texas in the thing. Most will live under 40mph and spend 95% of their lives creeping from house to house.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is there a hybrid drivetrain in commercial use?
View Quote

I believe UPS is using a hybrid system for some of their trucks.  Amazon supposedly has a huge order of full electrics from Rivian.  Who knows how long it'll be till they roll out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Better milage then the LLV, FFV an the POS Mercedes Metris. First, the trucks are run seven days a week. The drivers put gas in them and turn the key.  The driver might write them up if something is wrong. Then six months later the truck will be taken away to be fixed. Then you're down a truck for six months. The LLV's are catching fire left and right. PO paid for a big study to find out why. Could it be the trucks are 27+ years old and not taken care of? If you're in the salt belt, even the PMI showed the frame rusted in half, the truck will fall apart going down the road. Brakes, forget about them!

LLV and FFV = no air, air bag or real heat. Metris has air, heat, radio and air bags.

If your PO delivers Amazon, the new truck is a must. LLV, FFV fit about 110 packages, the Metris can do 150. Route with Amazon average 210 packages plus. Doesn't give much room for mail.

In a small City, Letter Carriers drive 14 miles or less for seven hours a day (if the office is in the area). My route has the truck being turned off 696 times a day. One route in the office turns off 1200 times a day. That route truck gets 7-9 starters a year. Leave the truck run and get caught, time off or worse.

I'll be retired before my unit gets a new truck. Well, unless the 25 LLV's burn to the ground.

View Quote
It use to take me 3-4 hours to deliver my rural route of 635 stops. Now that Amazon runs the post office it's taking me 7-8 hours a day because I'm getting between 200-300 parcels a day. Some days I have well over 300 parcels that I have to cram into an LLV or make 2 trips which doesn't pay for shit. I don't give a fuck what this new truck looks like and could give a shit about what it gets for mpg. I just want something that's safe and doesn't try and murder me everyday. My Rt is 28 miles.

We're lucky in my office the trucks are sent to a local mechanic who does a pretty good job of patching them up. He just replaced the flexplate and starter on my LLV because the USPS's maintenance dept wouldn't because it still "worked" and he's trying to fix the heater which has been fucked up for the last 14 years. I have heat until someone gets in the truck and starts screwing around with the heater controls, then he'll have to go in behind the dash and adjust the cable that connects the dash switch to the heater control under the hood..

Imagine if everything goes electric that the power co will be telling the local post offices that the power lines won't support having 10 mail trucks being charged all at once. What a shit show this has turned into..

If my LLV catches fire, first I'll get some awesome video then I'll call the fire dept...
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#30]
So, it hauls more payload while getting 5% better fuel economy. What’s the problem?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Bring back horses for mail delivery.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Environmental justice
Fuck outta here
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

TC
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wonder if the keyless remotes wouldn't save them cash in the long run. Save starters and safetly be able to walk away.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Is its name "The Derp?"
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wouldn't that be the easy part? They all are measured in range...so let's use that as our goal post.  

How many delivery routes are over 200 miles a day?  Most Ev's are more that that I think?

Charging would be the biggest hurdle in major areas probably.   But a fixed route every day...start/stop is perfect for EV.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've solved the energy crisis! Never thought we'd see the day.  

EV's don't use more energy accelerating and braking!
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why are defense companies the ones with the contracts?
View Quote

...and it is 150,000 total vehicles, over several years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I believe UPS is using a hybrid system for some of their trucks.  Amazon supposedly has a huge order of full electrics from Rivian.  Who knows how long it'll be till they roll out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd imagine one could/is being developed.  

Cost effective is the real question.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In a courier vehicle, the goal is to maximize cargo volume & weight... not haul around more vehicle all day. Considering energy density, batteries are bulky and heavy and extra electric motors are heavy. Gas/diesel is tops for energy density and range.

Not to mention more complex system means more PM.  Hybrid vehicles have all of the PMs of an ICE and an electric car. How long before most of the hybrid fleet was running on fuel only because of shitty PM.
View Quote

It’s not about functionality. It’s about expanding the Leftist narrative to all corners of the world.

TC
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#39]
A battery powered mail truck would be out of juice by noon.

Whoever makes the replacement windshields is going to be very rich. That’s a lot of gla$$
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, a postal vehicle spends 9hrs a day running but only typically travels 25 miles.

The vehicle also needs to be a one size fits all - both urban but also extreme rural service areas.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
NYC taxis for going on 20 years
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Dupe

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#43]
The standard LLV's are 1987 to 1992 Chevy S10 pickup trucks with a different cab and the steering moved to the right side.

Horrible gas mileage because they are under powered and have a high drag factor. Maximum recommended speed 55 mph. No air conditioning and insufficient heat because the all metal interior isn't insulated.

Literally 30 to 35 years old and expected to give service six days a week. Carriers in mid to large cities have to make two runs each day during the Christmas season because all of their packages won't fit in a single trip. Sunday deliveries became a necessity for the same reason.

I don't think any employee gives a damn about what the vehicle looks like if it's comfortable to work out of.

The 2001 - 2002 FFV's "flexible fuel vehicles" were Ford Explorer's that could use E85, but never did as far as I know. It was a requirement by Congress to be "green" without any regards to the utility of the option.

I challenge everyone to drive their vehicle two blocks and shut it off for ten minutes all day long and see what sort of mileage you get. That would be typical of a city route.

Mounted routes, have mailboxes at the curb and you have to stop at every mailbox for miles all day. Again try this at home and see what sort of mileage is possible. Same goes for brake pads. An average mounted route has 750 stops not counting the traffic pattern you need to take to arrive at your first stop and the trip back to the station after your last stop.

New brake pads and rotors every six months is common. Don't get me started on transmissions....

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm surprised they haven't made a push to have a mail collection point at designated corners in the neighborhood. You see that in some of the newer sub-divisions now.

There is a push here by the USPS to make everyone stick their box on the street, the drivers don't like getting out and walking up to the house. I think new builds are required to do it.
View Quote

We have had a drop box since 1996 when I built my home.
The idiot still cant put the correct mail in the correct box .
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks like it's from the same people that brought us the Johnny Cab.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well I guess that is where we that massive Infrastructure bill that passed could be of use. JK we all know how that money is going to be used.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Every single federal government vehicle should be electric for five years before they force them on the public.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Somewhere.....There's a jealous Pope just wanting that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Isn't that what hybrids are designed for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that what hybrids are designed for?

No.

Even hybrids do the WORST in stop and go traffic. They do better than traditional ICE vehicles, but still suck the most in stop-and-go situations. Hybrids can't get around physics.

A plug-in hybrid version that can pull energy from recharging overnight might burn less fuel, but it's still using the same amount of energy. Changing the source of that energy doesn't reduce the amount used. Physics is physics. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Pizdec
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top