Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/29/2023 4:44:29 PM EDT
It's a Road King...saw it at a local dealer...about 8k miles, appears immaculate. Lots of upgrades. Looks like whoever owned it took very good care of it. That said, it's 17 years old and I really don't know the history on these.

UPDATE

After a LOT of consideration I picked up a dream machine 2021 Indian instead....this beauty had my name all over her..  

Appreciate all the feedback guys. In the end, a newer bike was in the stars.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Look up "Harley Cam Chain Tensioner Problems"
I replaced mine with Gear Drive.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#2]
If I wanted a harley and the price was right sure. check for leaks and stuff.

They used to have a waiting list to buy brand new models. not sure if that's still the case with them.

never owned one, but looked at them a couple times.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have no problem with the age. It may have some issues from sitting around. It's all about whether or not the price is right. I bought a 2013 Fatbob from a friend because he gave me what I thought was a smoking deal on it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't even want that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 2007 Road King two years and 6k miles ago. No issues. Would you mind sharing what dealer it is?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
With 8k miles I bet it has original tires, I'd want to replace those.  Battery probably needs replacing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep. That’s a great bike. Typical HD regarding performance specs but it’s a great bike to put in long hours and a lot of miles on. The cam chain tensioner is really the only thing to worry about, and it’s not a big deal to change.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 93 Electra Glide

little plastic pieces are giving up after only 30 years

amazingly, most of these parts are still avail from HD
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes I would.  I have a 2003 with 58000 miles.    The older bikes are just fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#11]
06 Ultra. stock tensioners Add around 15k for this years start.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought a 2002. Have no issues buying older bikes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Appreciate the feedback guys.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I would only buy a older Harley.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#15]
my 09 nightster has 35k and runs and rides great....
fork springs need replacing but its a great bike
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
  Gears are best. Hydraulic works.  Stock will ruin your engine.  
  Other than that, good to go.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Most worthless tractors ever made. Sound like a Massey Ferguson but no PTO or 3 point hitch...
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#19]
88" 5 speed.
Smooth motors.
If you ever ride a six speed
you will hate the five.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 2002 got the Screaming Eagle Hydraulic Tensioner upgrade that also includes the hi volume oil pump.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought 2006 Road King last year. It had the original Cam Chain tensioners, so down the rabbit hole I went.  I bought the hydraulic upgrade kit, new camshafts, new camshaft bearings, oil pump. It had the 8° fuel injectors so I replaced those with the 25°. Brake lines were original and had some rust so I replaced them all with stainless braid. New front floating brake rotors. Had to rebuild all three brake calipers. New wheel bearings front and rear. Had to get a tuner for the new cams. New tires because they were old. Oh, new fuel filter and in tank hoses. And of course a three hole oil change. I also replaced the headlamp and passing lights with LED.

Read up about the cam chain tensioners. They are a ticking time bomb. Once you open the cam chest it becomes a “while you’re in there” for cams and bearings.

It was a bigger project than I thought, but I love the bike.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, and a s&s gear drive cam upgrade would be good to do on it.

If you want to go even older , nothing wrong with the good ole Evos either.  (1984- 1999)
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I would, if it was a good deal. My bikes are a '95 Dyna and an '82 Ironhead, I like them older.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#24]
For the right price. Not sure when they started fuel injection but 8 would prefer that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#25]
No but I am not the target audience for a Harley noisemaker.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No but I am not the target audience for a Harley noisemaker.
View Quote

Coming out thread?

Op, heck yes, if it's priced right.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Bought a 2006 CVO Fatboy back in '15 with 7800 miles on it.

No issues or regrets.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
88" 5 speed.
Smooth motors.
If you ever ride a six speed
you will hate the five.
View Quote
I went from a 4speed 85 Wide Glide to a  6 speed 2011 Street Glide , you are correct
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine's an '03 with gear drive cams (fixes the tensioner issue). Do I wish it was newer? Nope. Not even once. Road kings are great bikes. Newer doesn't = better. The twin cam 88 does have the tensioner issue though. It's not the end of the world, but read about it and go into it understanding the situation. I advise just getting gear drive cams. You solve the problem  and boost your chance of getting a ticket
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I've never been a fan of low performance motorcycles.  But if you're looking for a parade bike, I guess it would be OK.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've never been a fan of low performance motorcycles.  But if you're looking for a parade bike, I guess it would be OK.

https://i.imgur.com/wvNIKir.jpg

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Squids gonna squid
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's a Road King...saw it at a local dealer...about 8k miles, appears immaculate. Lots of upgrades. Looks like whoever owned it took very good care of it. That said, it's 17 years old and I really don't know the history on these.
View Quote

It has 67hp, from a 88cu motor.

That's such a low power:displacement ratio that it should literally run forever.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If I wanted a harley and the price was right sure. check for leaks and stuff.

They used to have a waiting list to buy brand new models. not sure if that's still the case with them.

never owned one, but looked at them a couple times.
View Quote

I'd buy one if I was interested.

At least parts available and relatively inexpensive (I believe)
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Depends on the price.

I doubt it is a good deal if it is coming from a dealer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/wvNIKir.jpg

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/cool_story_bro-23.jpg

Squids gonna squid
These Harley threads always bring them out
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s a thing but usually not for many more miles. The bigger problem is they’re crazy slow.
If I was in the market and it was a 6 speed (they went from 5 to 6 around that time) I would be tempted.
That was also around the time where they had the “flexy” frame they fixed. Switch lanes under hard throttle and there would be an event like there would be a hinge at the swingarm and frame. This can be fixed but it’s another expense. I experienced this a few times. No crash but it wakes you up for sure.
Wiki can probably confirm what years those things were fixed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For the right price. Not sure when they started fuel injection but 8 would prefer that.
View Quote

2002 is Delphi fuel injection. 2001 and earlier is Magnetti-Marelli. STAY WITH DELPHI.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I had an 01 Sportster. Then an 2011 Electra Glide police bike that I got in 2013. I haven’t ridden it in over 2 years. Having two kids under 2 will do that to you. I had more fun on the Sportster but I’ve ridden the Electra Glide more.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Two things to consider really and power isn’t one of them.
First the cam chain tensioner is a thing. A very fixable thing, but a thing. Secondly in 2009 Harley really upgraded the frames. This was a big improvement from all accounts. It might be worth it to look for a 2009 or newer.

Now me…I would take a late model Evo in either an FXR or a Road King or both.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I had a flat on my Harley, took the tire off inside the tires and made in China. Guess I shouldn’t be surprised.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:Squids gonna squid
View Quote

No squid here.  I have V-Twins.  One tosses down 150hp , the other 180hp at the rear wheel.  Not low performance Harleys.  
I routinely smoke the squids at the drag strip.  Better try again there, buddy.

Harley guys spend crazy amounts of money getting a super doggy, slow ass bike, to accelerate slightly faster.
Then they parade around acting like they have a friggin drag bike.  It's a joke.  

I'm sorry, but your slow-ass low performance Harley is still just that, even after you dumped another $10k into it.  But at least you have LOUD pipes now.  So that's way cool, for everyone.

Tony

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No squid here.  I have V-Twins.  One tosses down 150hp , other 180hp at the rear wheel.  Not low performance Harleys.  
I routinely smoke the squids at the drag strip.

Tony

View Quote

The best adventures I have ever had have been on bikes that didn’t even make 40hp.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I have an 07 Road King with over 40k trouble free miles. The cam chain problems were with the earlier twin cams. 8K is nothing. My 07 was the first year of the 6 speed so the 06 has a 5 speed. If it looks well taken care of go for it. That probably means in was stored in a garage. I believe all the 06s were fuel injected but check. After having my fuel injected bike there's no going back.

As stated above, take a good look at the tires. I've had some that crack after a year while others of the same brand don't.

Pro tip: If you stall it out, or almost stall it out, the check engine light and/or charge light might come on. It won't run as well until you reset it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a Harley guy, but if the bike is clean it was well taken care of. You have to try hard to hurt a bike and neglect is really the only way a bike can see harm.

I’d buy that with confidence. One of my bikes is a 2005 GSXR1000 that I bought new. I use it really hard and it has never given me any trouble. If you really have to worry about age on a bike it will be simple stuff like dried fork seals and caliper pistons sticking from corrosion. A lot is just in how they are stored.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#47]
No poll, no column, Fuck No.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I opened one before . Total POS .

So no .
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No squid here.  I have V-Twins.  One tosses down 150hp , the other 180hp at the rear wheel.  Not low performance Harleys.  

Harley guys spend crazy amounts of money getting a super doggy, slow ass bike, to accelerate slightly faster.
Then they parade around acting like they have a friggin drag bike.  It's a joke.  

I'm sorry, but your slow-ass low performance Harley is still just that, even after you dumped another $10k into it.  But at least you have LOUD pipes now.  So that's way cool, for everyone.

Tony

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Squids gonna squid

Tony

I have no desire to race bikes, I enjoy the ride. Keep strutting around telling yourself you're the best.

Nobody cares.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#50]
What years were the cam tensioners a problem? I'm thinking of buying '19 FXDR with 114ci powerplant.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top