Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I paid $850 on sale in 2019. Suck it up buttercup and plan better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#2]
2 tires, 2 tubes, 2 rim strips, and an oil change on my Harley $925.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Posted: Today 7:59:26 AM CDT
Went to Discount Tire yesterday

Discount Tire is closed on Sunday, just saying
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
N_H thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#5]
And yet, as discussed in another thread recently people are still buying shit hand over fist, buying new cars, houses, etc. It's befuddling to me. There must just be that much of a gap between the well off and the idiots who can't account for necessities like tires.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys don’t beat up tire places like you do car dealerships?  Pathetic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Ahh one of these again. Didn’t look at the poster before clicking.

Regale us of how poor and inferior everyone around you is compared to your superiority oh high and mighty one.

And as has been pointed out , Discount Tire isn’t open on Sunday…
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Wish people would stop shopping there. They suck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Pssshh I never paid for tires in my entire life, there's big stacks of used tires behind the compacter at the Nissan dealership. You'd be surprised what people get rid of with plenty of tread life left. Just gotta sort through it to find the right sizes. That's how you do it like a real poor and I've always been able to find what I need and have spares.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
2 tires, 2 tubes, 2 rim strips, and an oil change on my Harley $925.
View Quote

You don't change out your own tires, tubes, and lubes?  Ouch  

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I was a tire monkey in the early 2000's. Customers were like that then, also.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#12]
New Michelin's for my F150 were a tad over $900.

Tires cost money~
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know its CNBC but still relevant  emergency expense article

Published Mon, Jan 11 20219:00 AM EST

Fewer than 4 in 10 people have enough savings to pay for an unexpected $1,000 expense in cash.
View Quote

Might be outdated, but it used to be very common to read that ~50% of people in the US had less than $500 in savings.  If you ignore doing something crazy like pulling a 401k loan for tires... I bet it's still true that about 50% of Americans don't have $1k available in what would be considered savings or emergency cash.

Other studies have shown that average savings have went up and we're hoarding cash, but I think that's more from the folks that have money saving more.  Not from there being fewer people with none.

Also, at least for OP's example, people that are surprised by needing new tires are almost guaranteed to be in the group that doesn't plan for expenses.  I'm betting near 100% group commonality there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Nathaniel_Hawkins:
Went to Discount Tire yesterday to replace all four tires in my truck. While I was waiting there, I saw at least 10 more people come in wanted to buy tires for their vehicle. Every single one of them acted like spending $600+ was a complete financial disaster. Several had their credit cards declined. Several inquired about payment plans. And several others are part about coupons.  And several wanted discount tire to fix the tires for free.

Is average person really that broke right now? Replacing the tires for me was an inconvenience, however these people it was literally a complete financial disaster.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#15]
A long time ago, I managed a tire store. I remember a guy wanting a set of the tires on sale for his Cadillac. He was sure that we had them even though the ad did not list his size. They were the cheapest tires we sold, I think they were called safety or something like that. I joke that they had a warranty of thirty seconds or thirty feet. I had to remind my tire bu..err tech to use the tire machine when installing them. He would use the machine to take the old tires off and just twist the new one on without using the tire machine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I've paid less than $600 for four tires, but only on a car.  Never a truck.  Well, maybe 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is one of those weird threads where the OP will attempt to humble brag about how financially secure he is.

Here’s the thing: I hate buying tires too, Even if I think those tires are the coolest fucking tires in the world. Tires for my vehicle are in the $12-$1500 range. It isn’t that I can’t afford them, is that I don’t want to keep buying them. The people buying the tires in OPs story are probably young and just sticker shocked. That or they just don’t like spending a lot of money on things that wear out.
View Quote

Nope most of them were between 30 and 50 years old.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#18]
4 new tires for my car $256.00

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Posted: Today 7:59:26 AM CDT
Went to Discount Tire yesterday

Discount Tire is closed on Sunday, just saying
View Quote

unless this is your first encounter with him it should be no surprise that his story is entirely a fabrication.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Went to Discount Tire yesterday to replace all four tires in my truck. While I was waiting there, I saw at least 10 more people come in wanted to buy tires for their vehicle. Every single one of them acted like spending $600+ was a complete financial disaster. Several had their credit cards declined. Several inquired about payment plans. And several others are part about coupons.  And several wanted discount tire to fix the tires for free.

Is average person really that broke right now? Replacing the tires for me was an inconvenience, however these people it was literally a complete financial disaster.
View Quote

I picked up 4 new Coopers for my Trailblazer last year. Got them from Walmart. The lady behind the counter asked which tire I needed replace. I said "All of them". She then asked me if I was sure I didn't want just 2. From her reaction I'm guessing that my response doesn't happen all that often.

I set up an appointment for later in the week to get them installed. The crowd that came through while I waited for the installation was exactly like you described. Yes, it really is that bad.

I have a buddy that owns an alarm company. He has literally thousands of stories about 400-500K homes with furniture in one room and no ability to pay a 19.00 bill every month...
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Total cost for balancing and disposal of old tires and out the door price $334.00
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Also, at least for OP's example, people that are surprised by needing new tires are almost guaranteed to be in the group that doesn't plan for expenses.  I'm betting near 100% group commonality there.
View Quote
Vehicles are a mystery to most people, same as their appliances inside the house. They'll ignore noises or indicators that something isn't right, don't think to check things like tires periodically, and when something finally goes down it's "sudden" to them. They were paying attention to other things.

Same people who can't afford a new engine were the same ones ignoring oil lights.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wonder if these people were taking free covid money or working normal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#24]
The Honda dealership put 4x Bridgestone Turanza EL440s on our Odyssey for $775 out the door.  I considered that to be a deal.  AND... there's a $70 mail-in rebate.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#25]
New tires? Sheeit, just trade your car in for a new one; problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Car". Right.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#27]
You guys buy tires?

When it’s time for tires it’s time for a new vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Honda dealership put 4x Bridgestone Turanza EL440s on our Odyssey for $775 out the door.  I considered that to be a deal.  AND... there's a $70 mail-in rebate.
View Quote
Thanks for the reminder. I have to send a tire rebate in, actually. I forgot about it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#29]
SM Dopamine first, yup.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
"Car". Right.
View Quote

My truck is new it better not need tires  
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#31]
I see it everyday when customers struggle to come up with their 250-500 deductible.  Of course they take it out on my people as though it is their fault.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You guys don’t beat up tire places like you do car dealerships?  Pathetic.
View Quote

We should. I wound up in a lawsuit with goodyear tire place s while back.
Ex wifes car needed an alignment. Booked and asked for an alignment.
What the goodyear tire tech heard:
Break my glovebox and my cabin air filter box and hope I wouldn't notice when you hapazardly superglue it back together.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#33]
fuck i wish $600

set for my truck was 1200
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Total cost for balancing and disposal of old tires and out the door price $334.00
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drove a Ford Festiva for a few years. There was something oddly satisfying about purchasing 4, 12" diameter tires from walmart for 60.00 out the door. I took them to work then mounted and balanced them on our machine. The road hazard warranty was 12.00/tire. No, I didn't get it...

I do miss the cheap tires but not the car....

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I worked at Discount Tire for 10 years. It's sad how little savings people had to buy tires, or even just a single tire. I've given a lot of tires away to help folks out. The company actually used to encourage it.
View Quote

I've bought sets of four new tires, when a couple of the old ones still had ~25% of the tread remaining.  Are those old used tires resold?  
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep.  $1316 for four Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 245/40-19s on Saturday.  That was installed.
View Quote

@Triggerstuck how are they compared to the old super sports? Last couple times I swapped mine they were getting hard to come by as they were getting phased out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
$600 for four tires?

lucky.
View Quote

So much this. And what are you doing at Discount Tires, OP - would you trust a product from Discount Parachute?

Like other product categories that are often debated, tires are just one of those things you shouldn’t cut cost corners on. Always get mine done at the dealership (and typically they are competitively priced/try to work a deal for me). 4 all-season shoes from a major brand that are specifically targeted for my vehicle, driving habits and with long life expectancy always cost me around $1K +. Have accepted it as part of TCO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#38]
My work truck is going to need 4 tires soon, it'll be about $900 each tire not counting labor.

Edit labor is in house, also not counting valve stems. I just checked $945 each
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Last year I was slammed with stuff that had to be done and had a big motorcycle trip coming up.  Tires for my bike were scarce and the dealer had one set in stock and didn't know when they'd get more.  Always before I ordered discount tires online, changed my own tires, or took the wheels off and had a 'not a dealer' change them.  This time I rode the bike to the dealer and let them do the whole job.  Just shy of $1000.00 for two motorcycle tires installed.  For the next set, I'm taking the wheels off and humping them to Cycle Gear.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Inconvenience, yes.

I got Michelin Defenders last year and paid over $600 for them.  But I usually get enough tread life from them that it works out to be a good value.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I drove a Ford Festiva for a few years. There was something oddly satisfying about purchasing 4, 12" diameter tires from walmart for 60.00 out the door. I took them to work then mounted and balanced them on our machine. The road hazard warranty was 12.00/tire. No, I didn't get it...

I do miss the cheap tires but not the car....

View Quote

It's my beater car 1996 Nissan Maxima that I keep running .

Don't care where I park it or if the dog is full of mud when he jumps in the back seat  
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You guys buy tires?

When it’s time for tires it’s time for a new vehicle.
View Quote

Warranty’s are gone…mostly
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#43]
My beater/farm truck needs new tires- 1994 F150. I hope it's less than $600 for all 4.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#44]
$600 for a set?  My Jeep tires are $500 each and I gotta buy 5.

Quoted:
Payment plan for tires? Yikes
View Quote

Last time I bought tires for my truck, Discount Tire was running a 10% cash back deal and another 10% if you put it on your Discount Tire card. The card had 12 months financing at 0% interest.  Tires were ~$1600 OTD so I got an extra $160 to put them on the card and 0% interest is free money.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's America. Got a $1000 iphone but cant afford new tires
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's America. Got a $1000 iphone but cant afford new tires

New TV's, new phones, new rims...the tires with tread are an issue though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Found the issue right here.

Avocado toast, drugs, drinking, Uber eats, iPhone before needs.
View Quote

Cell Phones ARE NEEDS in today's civilization
Most are buying iPhones on installment - IE - "FREE with plan" or "just" $XYZ per month etc
When an iPhone is "only' $20 more per month than the "ABC Phone" then many people will get it
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Where the fuck you getting 4 truck tires for $600?
View Quote

Linglongs or retreads?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've bought sets of four new tires, when a couple of the old ones still had ~25% of the tread remaining.  Are those old used tires resold?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked at Discount Tire for 10 years. It's sad how little savings people had to buy tires, or even just a single tire. I've given a lot of tires away to help folks out. The company actually used to encourage it.

I have a friend that owns a pretty big auto repair business. They keep most tires with over 25% tread to help out the truly needy in the area. Not "I'm a dumbass with my money" types.

I'm pretty sure most referrals for tires come through the church he attends.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Geez. $600… for 4.

I was pricing tires for my RV. $1200. Each.  And it had 6 tires.  That and $1000 oil/filter changes helped convince me to sell it.

View Quote

Holy shit
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top