Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Saluting the flag used to be a thing.

Snipping out all the images.
View Quote
It was called the Bellamy and/or flag salute prior to the Nazies and Italian fascists using it to wipe their ass, as with all other things Roman based for pomp and might in thier displays, gatherings and marches. It was the way my fathers generation said the pledge of allegiance in school.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm torn between "they are idiots that should have known better given the political climate" and "why do people care about stupid shit like this so much that they fire people over it?"
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Whats with the 2 random lunch ladies sitting on either side of the group
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, when it takes only a little more than a month to train them, I'm sure they can have a new crop in there lickety-split!
View Quote
Thing is if they were anything like VDOC they were likely on the job for six months or so before they even went to training.

You lose those thirty, class spots are open, so another thirty will be sent, which leaves them in the hole for thirty certified officers. If there is a "investigation" and the whole shebang gets shuts down then you will have a backlog of un-certified officers which sucks because you can only use them for certain things.

I think it is stupid as hell to fire them....Admonish them sure but I don't see what they did as anymore than a tone-deaf prank.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm torn between "they are idiots that should have known better given the political climate" and "why do people care about stupid shit like this so much that they fire people over it?"
View Quote
Given the political climate? For real?

GTFO man. That's a nazi salute. You guys pussy footing around it doesn't make it less evil. A LOT of great American men (and some great American women) died trying to scrub the earth of anyone who subscribed to that way of thinking.

I can't believe you guys are trying to sugar coat this as not a big deal. Those are public servants. Not any old joe blow.

If it were black officers signaling black power this forum would want them all canned.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

GTFO man. That's a nazi salute. You guys pussy footing around it doesn't make it less evil. A LOT of great American men (and some great American women) died trying to scrub the earth of anyone who subscribed to that way of thinking.

I can't believe you guys are trying to sugar coat this as not a big deal. Those are public servants. Not any old joe blow.

If it were black officers signaling black power this forum would want them all canned.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the black power fist is a sign of unity to west point cadets.  They didn't get fired, either should these
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#8]
eehhhhhhhh I got nothing ..... but embarrassment
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But the black power fist is a sign of unity to west point cadets.  They didn't get fired, either should these
View Quote
2 wrongs don't make a right bud.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Imagine being a black dude and having to explain how you got fired for doing the Nazi salute
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Time out.

We should absolutely care when government employees do a Nazi salute. Just like we were all outraged when government employees did the black power salute.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
eehhhhhhhh I got nothing ..... but embarrassment
View Quote
The only thing you should be embarrassed about is your dumb shit governor for firing them. Losing 30 soon to be certified officers will leave a mark.

LOL....Just finding thirty people to pass a drug test and willing to work for $17.00 a hour in WV is quite the feat.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lol. Who actually gives a fuck? Mel Brooks would be lynched today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovCf9VRLnDY
View Quote
I'm pretty sure some wanted to lynch Mel back in the day but he didn't give a shit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is firing them for a stupid hand sign right?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes. It's not just a stupid hand sign. You thinking that tells me you can't think critically.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#16]
The opinion of myself and others around here is ...

Good

Stupid should hurt
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes. It's not just a stupid hand sign. You thinking that tells me you can't think critically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you are empowering the culture Marxism and PC that is destroying our society
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Imagine being a black dude and having to explain how you got fired for doing the Nazi salute
View Quote
Seriously.  Especially if it was at the behest of the instructor.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And you are empowering the culture Marxism and PC that is destroying our society
View Quote
Are you fucking kidding? Those are public servants. Doing a nazi salute... IN UNIFORM. And you're good with that?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It really doesn't matter because the gesture is associated with white nationalize and in particular Hitler. The whole "OK" gesture is a case of PC run amok but this is a bit different.

Think about it this way. Say these cadets were to make it to a jail. And say a black or Hispanic inmate files a claim of mistreatment and then their lawyer discovers this photo. We all know it would end up costing the state tons of money in a settlements because the second a minority inmate makes a claim, and a jury is shown that the guard accused was photographed making the sieg hail sign then its going to be a pretty much open and shut case in 2020.

Part of being in a job like law enforcement is having good judgement, and being willingly photographed doing this is pretty poor judgement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were hailing their instructor, in what was clearly a gesture poking fun at, not showing support for, Nazis.

They were not hailing Hitler.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2019/12/31/TELEMMGLPICT000220100213_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqng10RN4OACF490UF0AcEIptB_DuUZn4bsGq3sU8trTc.jpeg?imwidth=1400

This is PC run amok.
It really doesn't matter because the gesture is associated with white nationalize and in particular Hitler. The whole "OK" gesture is a case of PC run amok but this is a bit different.

Think about it this way. Say these cadets were to make it to a jail. And say a black or Hispanic inmate files a claim of mistreatment and then their lawyer discovers this photo. We all know it would end up costing the state tons of money in a settlements because the second a minority inmate makes a claim, and a jury is shown that the guard accused was photographed making the sieg hail sign then its going to be a pretty much open and shut case in 2020.

Part of being in a job like law enforcement is having good judgement, and being willingly photographed doing this is pretty poor judgement.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They were hailing their instructor, in what was clearly a gesture poking fun at, not showing support for, Nazis.

They were not hailing Hitler.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2019/12/31/TELEMMGLPICT000220100213_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqng10RN4OACF490UF0AcEIptB_DuUZn4bsGq3sU8trTc.jpeg?imwidth=1400

This is PC run amok.
View Quote
Well of course it is.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Bullshit. Hitler doesn't own that salute. Guarantee if the black cadets gave the black power salute they would be featured as heroes on a cereal box.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Are you fucking kidding? Those are public servants. Doing a nazi salute... IN UNIFORM. And you're good with that?
View Quote
I'm not good with it, but I'm not bad with it either.   Condemning it in the profane manner that you have would cause me a considerable amount of emotional turmoil, since I've done plenty of dumb shit in my life that I'm not exactly proud of - and that thankfully wasn't caught on camera.

I see a couple of closed fists in their too - which I am totally not going to allow myself to become outraged about, either.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bullshit. Hitler doesn't own that salute. Guarantee if the black cadets gave the black power salute they would be featured as heroes on a cereal box.
View Quote
Oh yeah when you see that salute it just makes you swell with pride for free speech huh?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Political correctness stifles free speech. First amendment be scary yo. So let's be Nazis because holding your arm out makes you a Nazi.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know the intent, or is the salute itself grounds for dismissal.

Cultural Marxism
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Cultural Marxism
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cultural Marxism
The intent doesn't really matter in today's environment.  It's easy to anticipate an adverse reaction to such a photo.  Assume that they were not fired for the salute - they were fired for being incredibly stupid and myopic.  They clearly demonstrated these traits, and being public employees, I have no problem with them being off of the taxpayers' payroll.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The intent doesn't really matter in today's environment.  It's easy to anticipate an adverse reaction to such a photo.  Assume that they were not fired for the salute - they were fired for being incredibly stupid and myopic.  They clearly demonstrated these traits, and being public employees, I have no problem with them being off of the taxpayers' payroll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cultural Marxism
Today's environment is a result of the left pushing the PC culture.

Why empower them?

They are now try to associate the OK symbol with white power and destroy anyone who uses it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#29]
The NAZI salute is a little more straight out.  Not sure what is going on here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Play stupid games....
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#32]
We have a German heritages guy at work with the name adolf.

I need to watch the cameras more.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Welcome to 2019 where holding your hand a certain way can land you on the unemployment wagon. I hope nobody ever pulls up a photo of me hailing an uber
View Quote
That's not how Uber works
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty soon they will be firing anyone with a little moustache as well
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why empower them?

They are now try to associate the OK symbol with white power and destroy anyone who uses it.
View Quote
For sure. Let's all go SJW because of feelz.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Found the closeted KKK apologist. By the way, "hailing" an uber by sticking your arm out isn't even a thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to 2019 where holding your hand a certain way can land you on the unemployment wagon. I hope nobody ever pulls up a photo of me hailing an uber
Found the closeted KKK apologist. By the way, "hailing" an uber by sticking your arm out isn't even a thing.
Hahaha, quoted for posterity
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And short haircuts
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Why empower them?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cultural Marxism

Why empower them?

It's also an environment where every edgy picture is placed on social media, and scrutinized out of context.  That has nothing to do with the left, or empowering anyone.  It's the new reality we live in.   These people were at work, at a new job.  That's a time when you should demonstrate to your new employer that they made a wise choice in hiring you, because the new employer knows that it's their best, if not their only chance to get rid of you.  It's a time when you should consciously avoid doing stupid things.   Good Justifiable firing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are absolutely correct and this image would have eventually came back to haunt the officers and the agency.  One questionable use of force is all it would take.  I'm not sure why the Governor is involved.  I'm assuming these are probationary staff and can be fired for any reason during their first year.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You are absolutely correct and this image would have eventually came back to haunt the officers and the agency.  One questionable use of force is all it would take.  I'm not sure why the Governor is involved.  I'm assuming these are probationary staff and can be fired for any reason during their first year.
View Quote
This guy gets it.

There is literally no fucking way anyone in that room did not know how it would be perceived. Especially with the stupid Heil Byrd chant.

The state of West Virginia would be stupid as fuck to keep any of these idiots employed. It would pop up in every use of force review and cost the state thousands into the millions in legal fees and hours to defend them because they thought it would be fun to take a picture in uniform giving the nazi salute.

These guys won the stupid games lotto
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I can see some stupid joking around in front of the camera. Not excusing the inappropriateness of the salute. But WTF was the photographer and printer thinking to use THAT photo?! Any manager approve its publishing?  You sure as hell don’t need to click the shutter when stupid is happening. And NFW should you be printing something like that for public distribution. A lot of more senior PD staff should be canned before the cadets.
View Quote
They were.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
they said hail Byrd not heil Hitler for crying' out loud.

quick expunge the world of all the Hogan's Heroes episodes too...for fear of the dreaded making fun of stuff
View Quote
Seriously, that’s what it’s coming to.

Expunge all the things. You can’t even make fun of Nazis anymore. Can’t mention them. PC principal will expunge you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Nobody has a sense of humor anymore.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Time out.

We should absolutely care when government employees do a Nazi salute. Just like we were all outraged when government employees did the black power salute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time out.

Context is everything.

Refusing to consider context is refusing to think.

Zero tolerance is zero thought.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm impressed that WV has a jail cops academy.

Losing those two women on the ends of the front row will lighten the load by four people.
View Quote
Funny you were impressed they had an academy and I am shocked it's just a month long.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This guy gets it.

There is literally no fucking way anyone in that room did not know how it would be perceived. Especially with the stupid Heil Byrd chant.

The state of West Virginia would be stupid as fuck to keep any of these idiots employed. It would pop up in every use of force review and cost the state thousands into the millions in legal fees and hours to defend them because they thought it would be fun to take a picture in uniform giving the nazi salute.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy gets it.

Thanks.  I have close to 28 years in Corrections so I should get it.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Oh yeah when you see that salute it just makes you swell with pride for free speech huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder what is employer would think he sported a stache aka Hitler style.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Context is everything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time out.

Context is everything.

If you rely on context to protect you from something that is this ugly and offensive without that context, you are quite the fool.  Zero thought is putting yourself at the mercy of public outrage.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Knee-jerk overreaction.
Making mountains out of molehills.
Political correctness is killing this country.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top